Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone with "inside information"

Started by natehog, November 22, 2007, 04:33:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Quote from: BruceSwinesteen on November 22, 2007, 08:28:00 pm
The question is not are we considering Gus, but would Gus come back if offered the job? The answer is no.

Gus has to have the same concern that the UA decision-makers have -- just how broken would the fanbase be if Gus came back. Or, stated better and more optimistically, how long would it take Gus to unify the fanbase? How high would the bar of success be raised?

I think Gus would say "yes". I think he would say "yes" even if he weren't the #1 choice. I don't think it'd take a lot of arm twisting. Might not get the opportunity to ask him again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Merle Hawggard

Quote from: Texman on November 22, 2007, 06:34:56 pm
Quote from: Hackett Hog Fan on November 22, 2007, 05:23:19 pm
Quote from: Texman on November 22, 2007, 04:49:51 pm
He is not being considered at all.

he is being considered...as an assistant only. i have heard that, but i dont think you'd like who is being considered as the coach.

The Title of this thread didn't ask for someones meaningless opinion. I believe your 64 post since Oct.06 makes you credible, I think not.

The title ask for someone "in the know".  When it is all said and done, you will see that Gus was not even considered.  Think about it, why would anyone consider a coach that was the center of controversy... whether he was the "good" or the "bad" part of the controversy.  Plus, his limited time in college coaching is a detriment at this point.  Mark it down.... he is not being considered.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

BruceSwinesteen

Golfer

IF Gus is such a hot prospect as a head coach, why is his name not being mentioned for Nebraska, Ok. State, SMU, Baylor, etc?  I think he will be a head coach someday, but If some of those other high profile schools are not pursuing him, why not??? I would say inexperience, right? 

Marshfieldhog

That's not a very good list, I would take Leach over the other 2 guys...OU fans would love to get rid of Venebles, LSU fans say Peleni can't recruit, so that leaves Leach. I would rather have someone like Bobby Johnson at Vandy who has done about as well as you can at Vandy. He knows the SEC, obviously could recruit better here, and seems like a no non-sense type of a coach.

TennesseeRaz

I would greet news of the hiring of Gus with much enthusiasm.

jabohog

The SEC would destroy Leach. Him being mentioned only solidifies my opinion that Nutt will be back next year.

Cave City Joe

Gus will never come to UA until some of the BOT are gone.  No Mike Anderson...no Gus.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

honkytonkman

Gus isn't going to get the job. It's that simple. Don't think that Broyles isn't still going to have plenty of influence into who becomes the next head coach. He and Shula not recommend Gus. We're going to end up with some no-name coach from somewhere that no one has ever heard of and he's going to come in and we're going to continue to be a second rate program.  Look at our last two basketball coaches? Neither were big names and we've had a much greater tradition in basketball in the last 20 years (minus the last ten or so) than we have in football. Everyone will get behind the new no name and when we got 7 and 5, everyone will be calling for his head.

kingB52

As much as snowflakes in August in central Ar-Kansas

cmakrzrbak

Quote from: press ham on November 22, 2007, 06:48:25 pm
if gus was hired, which he won't be, huggers and darksiders would only switch places. still no unity.

Some people will always be wrong.  That's just the way it is...
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

cjhog1418

Quote from: jimmiekersh on November 22, 2007, 05:47:25 pm
Gus has a incredible relationship with almost all Arkansas high school coaches.  He has a great reputation as an innovator as well.  He is an incredible recruiter too.  The one thing I do no think he has going for him is his limited experience in the college game.  I do not think Gus would ever consider coming back though.  If you were treated like that, would you ever want to be associated with those people ever again?
Most of "those people" will be gone next year.

riccoar

If Gus could rattle off 3 or 4 wins like Nutt did in 1998, it wouldn't take long to unite the fanbase.  With what were losing, and any coach looking at us will know that, Gus would be the guy not to flinch and take the job.  Remember, Gus didn't ask for the drama and didn't expect the drama.  And furthermore, he has maintained the high road anytime it was brought up.

Gus, right this minute, is a better choice than either of Leach, Venables, or Pelini.  Don't expect Gus to be hired because of misplaced respect for Frank.  One thing I keep hearing is how divided the BOT is.  Sounds like a bunch of bigshot kid crybabies.  I don't want to believe this but nowhere is there a post that disputes this.  If these guys are the idiots as posted, we will get a loser for sure.  No matter the hire, he will be set up to fail so each of the BOT people can blame the other.  Sounds like the fans are screwed again.  

Why is Shula's name being brought up.  What is his position in this, if any.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Golfer on November 22, 2007, 08:33:43 pm
IF Gus is such a hot prospect as a head coach, why is his name not being mentioned for Nebraska, Ok. State, SMU, Baylor, etc?  I think he will be a head coach someday, but If some of those other high profile schools are not pursuing him, why not??? I would say inexperience, right? 

Easy answer. Ok. State doesn't have a job vacancy. SMU is strongly considering Gus. Nebraska has its own "Gus" in Pelini. IF he's done being pissed he was overlooked when NU hired Callahan.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: 12247 on November 22, 2007, 09:16:47 pm
Why is Shula's name being brought up.  What is his position in this, if any.

I haven't seen Shula's name anywhere. We'd be better with Nutt.

LR Hog

Quote from: arcowboy on November 22, 2007, 04:48:56 pm
Gus has an excellent relationship with Arkansas High School coaches.  You have to remember he did an excellent job of recruiting last yr when he was hired.  Also, did good recruiting Arkansas for Tulsa this year.

He recruited only his players from Springdale and as for the players he recruited from Arkansas, they were all marginal D-1 and the ones we did offer were at the last minute.  They would have rather gone to Tulsa and started than red shirt here.
Like a boss.

Speaking of coaches in general, notice how coach Pel over in BB just recruited 6 good to great players in his first recruiting class.  Notice how you feel when thinking about him?  He is just getting started and yet he has a way of making you think he will be good.  He just got 3 of the top 129 players overall, and 3 more very good recruits at least on paper.  He stands up and trys to make the players better.  Gus makes you feel that way when thinking about football coaches.  You just know the program would be in good hands with him.  You just know recruits would come to play for the #1 offensive coach in America.  You know he would hire great assistants because he wouldn't put up with less than the best.  He spills over with integrity, honesty, football savy, and work ethic.  He may be the best hire in America right now.  Watch us lose this guy because we are idiots.

jabohog

Quote from: 12247 on November 22, 2007, 09:14:45 pm
Gus, right this minute, is a better choice than either of Leach, Venables, or Pelini.  Don't expect Gus to be hired because of misplaced respect for Frank.  One thing I keep hearing is how divided the BOT is.  Sounds like a bunch of bigshot kid crybabies.  I don't want to believe this but nowhere is there a post that disputes this.  If these guys are the idiots as posted, we will get a loser for sure.  No matter the hire, he will be set up to fail so each of the BOT people can blame the other.  Sounds like the fans are screwed again.  
I had to laugh when I read this because it makes so much sense. Sounds like our Congress. Bigshot crybabies, you nailed it.

natehog

Quote from: 12247 on November 22, 2007, 09:27:25 pm
Speaking of coaches in general, notice how coach Pel over in BB just recruited 6 good to great players in his first recruiting class.  Notice how you feel when thinking about him?  He is just getting started and yet he has a way of making you think he will be good.  He just got 3 of the top 129 players overall, and 3 more very good recruits at least on paper.  He stands up and trys to make the players better.  Gus makes you feel that way when thinking about football coaches.  You just know the program would be in good hands with him.  You just know recruits would come to play for the #1 offensive coach in America.  You know he would hire great assistants because he wouldn't put up with less than the best.  He spills over with integrity, honesty, football savy, and work ethic.  He may be the best hire in America right now.  Watch us lose this guy because we are idiots.

+1  good post

arcowboy

Frank is not going to have any influence in this selection whatsoever.  If there is going to an assistant coach hired it will not be anyone other than Gus.  Leach will not be hired to come to Arkansas.   
Jim Lindsey will only have say in this as it goes to the BOT for approval.   Jim Lindsey is a Gus man though and would be for him.

Last week though longtime Arkansas writer  Harry King said the only name he is hearing is Gus

jabohog

Quote from: 12247 on November 22, 2007, 09:27:25 pm
I do think Gus would learn from mistakes and progress would be made. It would just be if the fans and powers would give him the time to learn and make the hard decisions that it takes to be successful.

With this being said, I think Nutt will be back next year.

Highschool Gus Malzahn, the village idiot from Springdale, in one swoop, brought more high star players to Arkansas 15 minutes than Hooten did in 10 years if you discount the bigtime players that would have come, no matter the coach.  And we doubt that he could recruit.  You are correct that many players coming to Tulsa are second to players going to the larger schools, but you should remember, there are more colleges looking for those second tier players than are looking for the big name players, far more.  Point is Gus is recruiting in an area where the second layer players are being seeked out and he was able to pull several to Tulsa in short order.  There was about 80 to 90 schools that would have been glad to have some of those players.  Also Mr. Bigtime recruit can come and play now without training, most of Gus' recruits must be trained, something else he can do.  No, I am not from Springdale and don't know Gus Malzahn.

PorkRyan

Quote from: arcowboy on November 22, 2007, 09:33:40 pm
Frank is not going to have any influence in this selection whatsoever.  If there is going to an assistant coach hired it will not be anyone other than Gus.  Leach will not be hired to come to Arkansas.   
Jim Lindsey will only have say in this as it goes to the BOT for approval.   Jim Lindsey is a Gus man though and would be for him.

Last week though longtime Arkansas writer  Harry King said the only name he is hearing is Gus

And the reason Harry King said that is because Jim Lindsey is starting a push for Gus.  As soon as Nutt is officially gone, you will hear Gus's name brought up more and more by the media. 

I doubt it happens, but with the power Lindsey has up there and his ability/desire to throw that power around, Lindsey could get who he wants.

hoggchadder

i guess by definition i'm a hugger then because i do support the players, coaches and everyone that is involved with the program. if coach nutt is gone next year i'll support who ever is in charge. but i just wonder if gus somehow became the next coach here (imo it wont happen) and his record is similar to coach nutts after a certain amount of time will he get the same kind of treatment. the first thing people are going to say is that it won't happen with gm coaching.... i'm asking what if it does... and for the poster who said will all the huggers that say they support the hogs no matter who is there, i can't speak for anyone else but me and i promise you i will support whoever is in charge like I'm doing now. just wonder if he would be treated the same as coach nutt...

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Gus got his start at Hughes and JL is from Forrest City about 20 minutes apart. I would say he knows alot about this guy.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

GWFan

Quote from: hoggchadder on November 22, 2007, 09:41:06 pm
i guess by definition i'm a hugger then because i do support the players, coaches and everyone that is involved with the program. if coach nutt is gone next year i'll support who ever is in charge. but i just wonder if gus somehow became the next coach here (imo it wont happen) and his record is similar to coach nutts after a certain amount of time will he get the same kind of treatment. the first thing people are going to say is that it won't happen with gm coaching.... i'm asking what if it does... and for the poster who said will all the huggers that say they support the hogs no matter who is there, i can't speak for anyone else but me and i promise you i will support whoever is in charge like I'm doing now. just wonder if he would be treated the same as coach nutt...
I don't know about the majority, but for me only about 25% of my reason for NOT supporting Nutt is his poor coaching ability.
75% of it is 2X4's and, Code Red (butu)on Mustain, emailgate, the hiring of David Lee etc.

honkytonkman

Why can't people get it through their thick skulls that the evil triumverant of Broyles, Lindsey, and Shula will decide on the new coach and nothing that's being said here is going to make any difference. We're going to get a little known offensive coordinator from a moderately succcessful division one school or a head coach with a modest record and modest credentials from some school in the missouri valley conference. Gus, Jimmy, and Butch as just wishful thinking on everyone's part.

natehog

Nutt probably would not be leaving this year if his only downside was his "record" on the field.

Oklahawg

Quote from: honkytonkman on November 22, 2007, 09:53:16 pm
Why can't people get it through their thick skulls that the evil triumverant of Broyles, Lindsey, and Shula will decide on the new coach and nothing that's being said here is going to make any difference. We're going to get a little known offensive coordinator from a moderately succcessful division one school or a head coach with a modest record and modest credentials from some school in the missouri valley conference. Gus, Jimmy, and Butch as just wishful thinking on everyone's part.

Shula? Where does he fit into the grand scheme of things??

biggiepiggie

Was Danny Ford treated the same as Nutt?  I think if Gus kept us perpetually mired in mediocrity then we would want someone else.  There
was no rancor in Ford's case, he just couldn't get it done.  Nutt is a different proposition altogether.

hoggchadder

how long was coach ford here does anyone remember?

natehog

hogginbama

Quote from: cowhead on November 22, 2007, 05:47:38 pm
Quote from: Texman on November 22, 2007, 04:49:51 pm
He is not being considered at all.

Then the PTB are ma-ken another huge mistake!!!! someone will snap him up and Arky be on the outside looking in......

Isn't that the way Arkansas always does it? Jimmy, Barry, Butch, Tommy...the list will continue to grow until certain folks are removed from power.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Cavehog

i guess by definition i'm a hugger then because i do support the players, coaches and everyone that is involved with the program. if coach nutt is gone next year i'll support who ever is in charge. but i
just wonder if gus somehow became the next coach here (imo it wont happen) and his record is similar to coach nutts after a certain amount of time will he get the same kind of treatment. the first thing people are going to say is that it won't happen with gm coaching.... i'm asking what if it does... and for the poster who said will all the huggers that say they support the hogs no matter who is there, i can't speak for anyone else but me and i promise you i will support whoever is in charge like I'm doing now. just wonder if he would be treated the same as coach nutt...

Why do people assume a new coach will get the same treatment as Futt Nucker based on record?  It's not just record people!!! It's his arrogant treatment of countless recruits and total disregard for the fan base that has him on the ropes.  If a new coach can't get us into the top 25 at the end of every season, a conference title, and a shot at the NC, all the while treating people with respect and dignity, then I say he gets the same treatment as Stan Heath.  Not the same treatment as Nutt.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

tweakmyhamstrings

Quit playing stupid honkytonkman, I know exactly who you are (Santa had a nosebleed, remember?).  I know you live in NWA and I'm pretty sure I know your connection to someone who knows Shula.  Spill the damn beans if you know something, or sit there with that smug look on your face and jerk everyone here around somemore.  I know you haven't been here long but it is customary to disseminate info, ever so gradually, on this board if you have some.  Share and share alike!  I have reason to believe that you are setting on a nugget or two of info that you are not coming forward with, if you are who I have been told you are.  And just so everyone else on here knows, honkytonk man hated HDN long before everyone else on this board did.  He loves to sit back with a handful of aces and watch everybody else draw and draw, don't you?  He probably already knows who has been recommended.  If you would confirm what it is that I think you know you would be a hero on this board and an another alternative to our Nutt hugging media!  Do the right thing.

Cigar B

honkytonkman

Hamstrings....Shula is getting deeper into this thing by the day. There is no guarantee that we're going to be able to get rid of Nutt. He won't go easily. My guess is that he won't leave until he has another job and who is honestly going to want him after all of the scandal and mediocrity he has brought to Arkansas. Everyone here is speculating on who the next coach is going to be. My guess is that this same type of speculation was going on when all of the scandals hit last year. If he pulls a win out of his rear end today, something that wouldn't surprise me, he's going to be even harder to run off. Everyone's premise is that he's leaving thus we must find a new coach. I think him leaving is going to be more difficult than everyone thinks it's going to be. Houston has survived criticism and ridicule for years. He seems to thrive on it. I'd say it's at least 50/50 that he's still here next year.

Bosston

Quote from: honkytonkman on November 23, 2007, 11:39:48 am
Hamstrings....Shula is getting deeper into this thing by the day. There is no guarantee that we're going to be able to get rid of Nutt. He won't go easily. My guess is that he won't leave until he has another job and who is honestly going to want him after all of the scandal and mediocrity he has brought to Arkansas. Everyone here is speculating on who the next coach is going to be. My guess is that this same type of speculation was going on when all of the scandals hit last year. If he pulls a win out of his rear end today, something that wouldn't surprise me, he's going to be even harder to run off. Everyone's premise is that he's leaving thus we must find a new coach. I think him leaving is going to be more difficult than everyone thinks it's going to be. Houston has survived criticism and ridicule for years. He seems to thrive on it. I'd say it's at least 50/50 that he's still here next year.

why would he put himself thru what next year will bring? that team will not go to a bowl and the kitchen is not even warm compared to what it will be like in 2008.

I agree he doesnt WANT to leave. Its just that he has never faced this much heat and it will get 2x worse if does not leave.

tweakmyhamstrings

Do you think that Shula (the elder) and his relationship with JFB had something to do with HDN remaining as head coach while Shula (the younger) was at Alabama, when by all accounts he should have been fired?

honkytonkman

It didn't hurt, Hamstrings. Bosston, as far as why would Houston want to stay, who else is going to pay him 1.5 million to coach football?  He'll never make that much money again. He's going to hold onto the job like grim death, just wait and see. there have been 1.5 million rumors about him resigning over the past 10 years and he hasn't done it yet. Why do we think he's going to do it next week?

whydidwehirenutt

what is gus making right now, what is his contract(buyout) what would it take to get him. Hey im for letting porky pig get a crack right now

Bosston

Quote from: honkytonkman on November 23, 2007, 11:58:57 am
It didn't hurt, Hamstrings. Bosston, as far as why would Houston want to stay, who else is going to pay him 1.5 million to coach football?  He'll never make that much money again. He's going to hold onto the job like grim death, just wait and see. there have been 1.5 million rumors about him resigning over the past 10 years and he hasn't done it yet. Why do we think he's going to do it next week?

I think he has enough money now to live the life he wants and not ever have to work again.

Why next week? The attacks are personal and involve his family. He could take the 'bad play calling' criticism he was getting up until this year, but now he's been pushed over the edge.

If he were not financially secure, I would believe that he would want to hang around.

Dugann

I just can not get over it................for the last dang time for the most part

It was NOT HDN's record that has gotten HDN to this point with the fans.  IT IS his actions, lack of actions, integrety, lies, and foul running of issues, players, and the program.  NOT his damn record!!

His coaching while yes it costed us alot of games, and yes was predictable, and not very damn good I still think alot of fans could live with

HDN is in the boat he is in because of HDN.  I'm tired of huggers always points well record this and that.  NOT so much the DANG record get that through you heads please.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

TheNuttlessFrontier

QuoteThe big 3 today appear to be Pelini, Leach, and Venables, in no particular order. If they don't pan out Gus suddenly winds up in the mix. The big 3 are seen as big enough names and detached enough entities from UA that they would classify as "solid if not spectacular" hires. National media would hail any of them as an astute hire by Long and prop up his first official task by complimenting how well his decision will help the rancor in the fanbase disappear. You're dealing with the top 2 assistants on the market right now + one of the leading innovators in the game today looking for a move up.

I don't see the hiring of Leach "helping the rancor in the fanbase to disappear".  His is not the philosophy that we need.  IMHO, Pelini would be accepted, Venables maybe.  If they are not going to pursue the "big name" that we are all hoping for, Bo Pelini would be my first choice.  IMO, our next coach needs to hold to defense as his philosophical bell cow.  Let him hire a couple of assistants who can deliver on the offensive side of the ball.  That would be my preference.

WoooPigSooie

As of last Wednesday JL wanted Gus and Tyson wanted Butch Davis.
"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

honkytonkman

Shula is leaning more toward Davis than Gus in case anyone was wondering.

woghild

"Gus will make a good head coach some day"

"Give him a few years"

"He's not ready for the SEC"

(Famous last words of people who pass on Gus Malzhan and
later find themselves looking around on the field for their heads
after a game against him.)