Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone with "inside information"

Started by natehog, November 22, 2007, 04:33:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

natehog

know if Gus's name is being seriously discussed?  In some ways he might be considered "divisive", but if he started winning the negativity would die down real quick.  Does he have good rapport with the hgh school coaches in AR?  As you can see, I have no inside information.   8)

Kevin

i think who ever the next head coach is will have some people against him, but over time the fans will unite.

it will be interesting if the huggers live by their i support the program stance with a new coach.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

arcowboy

Gus has an excellent relationship with Arkansas High School coaches.  You have to remember he did an excellent job of recruiting last yr when he was hired.  Also, did good recruiting Arkansas for Tulsa this year.

Texman

fanofhogs

The_Iceman

Donny2665

Quote from: Texman on November 22, 2007, 04:49:51 pm
He is not being considered at all.

The Title of this thread didn't ask for someones meaningless opinion. I believe your 64 post since Oct.06 makes you credible, I think not.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

sowmonella

I like Gus. He has a brilliant offensive mind. He's just in his second year as an assistant coach. He will not even be mentioned when new HC possibilities are discussed at a major D1 program. Give him a few years to establish himself. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

fieldturf

Then the PTB are ma-ken another huge mistake!!!! someone will snap him up and Arky be on the outside looking in......

big john

you guys are crazy gus is as good as any body they are nameing now i take him over all of them he is a winner not like we got now nutt has really gave us nothing but bull crap. :)
john goodwin

slopinhogs

Gus is far flung from a high scshool coach and more qualified than the one we have now.  :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

HouSwine

Heck no...the new thinking is they have to be over 65 years old to be experienced enough to recruit and play defense.

Team Oklahoma

Nah they will wait till he lands a job like Butch, then think they can get him and then he wont come.
I think I would take the gamble, I promise you it cant turn out as bad as the last gamble they took.
What a loser that turned out to be.

natehog

It just seems to me that he is as good of a choice as the rest of the names being bandied about here today.  Sure, he needs experience.  But we are going to be down for a couple of years anyway.  I think I like him because of the credibilty he already has with the fans.  The problem is I don't think we have any idea what the PTB will actually do.

Kevin

plus gus point-the recruits in the area, (ok,ar, texas) know who he is.  i think he signs a better class starting mid-december than hdn did in 10 years
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HouSwine

"Nah they will wait till he lands a job like Butch, then think they can get him and then he wont come."
Post of the day!

GWFan

Just got through reading all your other posts, and somethings tells me right away that I need not concern myself with this statement.
Gus can git 'er done!
WPS! GO HOGS!

hogfan0307

I Think Gus still likes Arkansas...he would be a great asst. to have with a Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy would be here for 5 yrs and could train Gus to take over (just a thought)

Arkapigdiesel

Gus will be a great one.  He has "it".

I'm in hopes that our administration extends an offer to Gus and he accepts.  If we don't get him, he will go somewhere else and win.

If we don't get him now, then we will be SOL later down the road.  Given the track record of our hiring practices, I expect we will get someone like Venables or Leach.

We need to make a great hire, and Gus IMO is a great hire.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Quote from: big john on November 22, 2007, 05:51:22 pm
you guys are crazy gus is as good as any body they are nameing now i take him over all of them he is a winner not like we got now nutt has really gave us nothing but bull crap. :)
Does Gus use punctuation?

PorkRyan

I have heard that Jim Lindsey is pushing for Gus.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

You would have one heck of a air attack with him next year. I would bet money on it. Tuck, Miller, Wright, and Adams if he could snatch him away from USC. Get someone in that could develop Dick (either one of them) and look out. Not to mention Cleveland and Childs playing also.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Kevin

Kevin

a tulsa commit at this point, but i think would change with gus as hc

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogfan0307 on November 22, 2007, 06:21:45 pm
I Think Gus still likes Arkansas...he would be a great asst. to have with a Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy would be here for 5 yrs and could train Gus to take over (just a thought)
I love the optimism , but we are never going to get JJ.

Texman

Quote from: Hackett Hog Fan on November 22, 2007, 05:23:19 pm

The Title of this thread didn't ask for someones meaningless opinion. I believe your 64 post since Oct.06 makes you credible, I think not.

The title ask for someone "in the know".  When it is all said and done, you will see that Gus was not even considered.  Think about it, why would anyone consider a coach that was the center of controversy... whether he was the "good" or the "bad" part of the controversy.  Plus, his limited time in college coaching is a detriment at this point.  Mark it down.... he is not being considered.

Kevin

with the receivers we have, plus the warren kids, i don't think our offense takes much of a step back.  plus the rb from texas and camden fairview.

gus proved this year he can coach players up

Kevin

gus was not the center of controversy, how nutt treated him is one of the problem nutt created.

PearlHarbor

Quote from: PBD on November 22, 2007, 06:21:59 pm
Gus will be a great one.  He has "it".

I'm in hopes that our administration extends an offer to Gus and he accepts.  If we don't get him, he will go somewhere else and win.

If we don't get him now, then we will be SOL later down the road.  Given the track record of our hiring practices, I expect we will get someone like Venables or Leach.

We need to make a great hire, and Gus IMO is a great hire.

I agree. I just don't see gus coming back here after his experience with the children in power on the hill. I'm sure he'd love to be an sec west coach though, just so he could beat our ass every year. I couldn't blame him if he felt that way.

tank55

press ham

if gus was hired, which he won't be, huggers and darksiders would only switch places. still no unity.

GWFan

Quote from: press ham on November 22, 2007, 06:48:25 pm
if gus was hired, which he won't be, huggers and darksiders would only switch places. still no unity.
It would still be 95% vs 5%.  Big deal.  You're not gonna please everyone, so making 5% (probably less) upset is not that bad of a thing.

Go Hogs, hire Gus!

Cajun Hog

Gus is not in the mix at this time and probably won't be.

razordan

Can someone please tell us what coaches ARE in the nix?

ckhawgu

Quote from: Triple_H on November 22, 2007, 06:53:59 pm

Unfortunately, we already know the people in charge on the hill aren't very smart and are bound to make a mess of it when the answer is clearly in their own back yard...

GWFan

Educated guess, or do you have inside info?

ArkiePup

Quote from: ckhawgu on November 22, 2007, 07:00:26 pm

Unfortunately, we already know the people in charge on the hill aren't very smart and are bound to make a mess of it when the answer is clearly in their own back yard...

Of course they're not smart.  If they were smart we would have been rid of Hooten a long time ago.

hogfan0307

One misconception with Gus: If Gus was coaching arkansas this year, i bet we would run it 65-75% of the time, but with Gus, I think we would have a better developed passing game so when we NEEDED to pass, it would be much more effective

Texman

November 22, 2007, 07:16:50 pm #38 Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:24:09 pm by Texman
Quote from: hogfan0307 on November 22, 2007, 07:13:11 pm
One misconception with Gus: If Gus was coaching arkansas this year, i bet we would run it 65-75% of the time, but with Gus, I think we would have a better developed passing game so when we NEEDED to pass, it would be much more effective

I think this is very true of what would have happened.  Why not utilize your great backs but use the passing game to keep everyone honest.  As we all know, it isn't happening that way now.

hview

I don't think Gus should be marked off the list. Yes, he is only two years removed from high school football, but given time he could built a very successful program at Arkansas. He is well known and respective by the Arkansas High School coaches. I have no doubt he will win and be successful where ever he goes. The day will come when we had wished we had given more consideration to Gus. Whoever is hired (if Nutt leaves, I'm still not convinced he will go on his own) will have at least two down years and he better be the right hire. I think Gus could unite the fan base. It would take time, but I think he could do it.

HouSwine

Texman if you really know Gus is not even being considered then you need to be personally kicking some A@#S. To not first consider all options is piss poor business leadership.

Silver Hog

GWFan

Quote from: HouSwine on November 22, 2007, 07:25:42 pm
Texman if you really know Gus is not even being considered then you need to be personally kicking...
I believe he's just rambling bigger 'n' Dallas.

razordan

Gus very well could be the HC at a very big school before 1-31-08.  Football people saw what he did for Arkansas last year with Nutt sitting on his shoulders.  They see his offense this year using recruits that couldn't break the line up at most big schools.  The guy is kicking the butts of football minds many years his senior and in his first year at the smallest school in D1 using mostly others recruits.  He pulled a few good recruits in late for Tulsa and is now robbing some recruits from Arkansas that we would like to have come to the hill.  The only problem I see with Gus at Arkansas is Frank.  Frank might stop the hire so he wouldn't have to eat crow.  In Gus, we have an opportunity to get a diamond for pennies on the dollar.  Stand by and watch us screw this one up too.  This guy will be 1 of the top 10 coaches in college football within 5 years.  Mark that down.

granny grunt

Quote from: 12247 on November 22, 2007, 07:42:58 pm
Gus very well could be the HC at a very big school before 1-31-08. Football people saw what he did for Arkansas last year with Nutt sitting on his shoulders.  They see his offense this year using recruits that couldn't break the line up at most big schools.  The guy is kicking the butts of football minds many years his senior and in his first year at the smallest school in D1 using mostly others recruits.  He pulled a few good recruits in late for Tulsa and is now robbing some recruits from Arkansas that we would like to have come to the hill.  The only problem I see with Gus at Arkansas is Frank.  Frank might stop the hire so he wouldn't have to eat crow.  In Gus, we have an opportunity to get a diamond for pennies on the dollar.  Stand by and watch us screw this one up too.  This guy will be 1 of the top 10 coaches in college football within 5 years.  Mark that down.
You may be right about Broyles being the problem with offering Gus the job.
JFB don't have a very good track record lately.  He passed on Jimmy Johnson and on Pete Carroll in the past,  and we all know how well that turned out.
I would like to see Gus come to Arkansas.  I firmly believe that he is one of the most capable coaches today.  He may well be the next football genius of our age......

natehog

We need the best coach for the job.  If Gus is that man, he should be hired by whoever is making that decision.  The idea of Frank screwing things up is syptomatic of the way things are done up there.  There is too much power in too few hands.  You know, we will probably end up with another screwed up mess, but at least it wont be that stubid ass Nutt.  Gawd, I hope they hire the right man!   :razorback:

Oklahawg

Quote from: Texman on November 22, 2007, 06:34:56 pm

The title ask for someone "in the know".  When it is all said and done, you will see that Gus was not even considered.  Think about it, why would anyone consider a coach that was the center of controversy... whether he was the "good" or the "bad" part of the controversy.  Plus, his limited time in college coaching is a detriment at this point.  Mark it down.... he is not being considered.

My source kinda backs this up. Gus isn't a serious candidate right now. He'd be considered but only after a few others don't pan out.

Gus was in the middle of the mess, by default (but not by choice). He will forever be associated with the garbage that has slimed our program for the past 12-14 months.

Gus isn't a candidate today for the same reason Butch Davis remains at UNC -- there are heavy hitters who are trying to jockey for prime positions at Long's table of unofficial advisors and they won't let another get "their man" in as HC.

We'll see someone with little affiliation with UA become the next coach.

Gus isn't a dead candidate. He's simply a non-candidate. He's also likely an "ace up the sleeve" candidate.

The big 3 today appear to be Pelini, Leach, and Venables, in no particular order. If they don't pan out Gus suddenly winds up in the mix. The big 3 are seen as big enough names and detached enough entities from UA that they would classify as "solid if not spectacular" hires. National media would hail any of them as an astute hire by Long and prop up his first official task by complimenting how well his decision will help the rancor in the fanbase disappear. You're dealing with the top 2 assistants on the market right now + one of the leading innovators in the game today looking for a move up.

Gus is in the mix if those 3 fall by the wayside. How do you go through 3 who appear poised to say yes?

1. Venables' OU gets to the Big 12 CG and wants to coach that team for that game and UA wants to move more quickly. I don't see A&M going after him but I suppose that's a possibility.

2. Pelini gets the nod at Nebraska (with whom he's still pissed about being passed over the first time, when Callahan was hired) or A&M. Pelini could be in the mix at LSU if Miles leaves for Michigan before UA or someone else hires him.

3. Leach would prefer UCLA, where his pass-happy offense would be a better fit. Less work to make it to a NYD or BCS bowl. Easier recruiting.

How quickly does this play out? I can't see all three being locked up elsewhere before UA gets around to hiring. But...things behind the scenes could shift.

Gus is likely the next guy. I can't see a Paul Johnson or Gary Patterson or Dan Mullen making a run in front of Gus.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

natehog

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 22, 2007, 08:20:41 pm
Quote from: Texman on November 22, 2007, 06:34:56 pm

My source kinda backs this up. Gus isn't a serious candidate right now. He'd be considered but only after a few others don't pan out.

Gus was in the middle of the mess, by default (but not by choice). He will forever be associated with the garbage that has slimed our program for the past 12-14 months.

Gus isn't a candidate today for the same reason Butch Davis remains at UNC -- there are heavy hitters who are trying to jockey for prime positions at Long's table of unofficial advisors and they won't let another get "their man" in as HC.

We'll see someone with little affiliation with UA become the next coach.

Gus isn't a dead candidate. He's simply a non-candidate. He's also likely an "ace up the sleeve" candidate.

The big 3 today appear to be Pelini, Leach, and Venables, in no particular order. If they don't pan out Gus suddenly winds up in the mix. The big 3 are seen as big enough names and detached enough entities from UA that they would classify as "solid if not spectacular" hires. National media would hail any of them as an astute hire by Long and prop up his first official task by complimenting how well his decision will help the rancor in the fanbase disappear. You're dealing with the top 2 assistants on the market right now + one of the leading innovators in the game today looking for a move up.

Gus is in the mix if those 3 fall by the wayside. How do you go through 3 who appear poised to say yes?

1. Venables' OU gets to the Big 12 CG and wants to coach that team for that game and UA wants to move more quickly. I don't see A&M going after him but I suppose that's a possibility.

2. Pelini gets the nod at Nebraska (with whom he's still pissed about being passed over the first time, when Callahan was hired) or A&M. Pelini could be in the mix at LSU if Miles leaves for Michigan before UA or someone else hires him.

3. Leach would prefer UCLA, where his pass-happy offense would be a better fit. Less work to make it to a NYD or BCS bowl. Easier recruiting.

How quickly does this play out? I can't see all three being locked up elsewhere before UA gets around to hiring. But...things behind the scenes could shift.

Gus is likely the next guy. I can't see a Paul Johnson or Gary Patterson or Dan Mullen making a run in front of Gus.

We might very well end up with Gus then.  All those guys might just say no.  We never seem to be quite the big job we want to be.

BruceSwinesteen

The question is not are we considering Gus, but would Gus come back if offered the job? The answer is no.