Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disbelief at the LPGA

Started by GolfNut57, April 02, 2017, 10:10:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

April 02, 2017, 10:10:53 pm Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:20:59 pm by GolfNut57
So Lexi Thompson has a 3 stroke lead in the final round of the ANA Inspiration and is headed to the 13th tee when officials inform her she was being assessed a FOUR shot penalty for allegedly incorrectly replacing her ball on the mark for a 1 foot putt on hole seventeen yesterday afternoon. Seems a viewer watching on TV called in the perceived infraction. So instead of being up by three Lexi now trails by one stroke. She did manage to tie the new leader but lost the tourney in the playoff.

That is just such BS that a golfer can lose when some ref wannabe can call in from Timbuktu and affect a tourney winner in such a way. Lexi got screwed!

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19062269/lexi-thompson-gets-4-shot-penalty-loses-major-viewer-email
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

pigture perfect

That sucks. People need to mind they own biness.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

They claim she might have been off by one INCH in correctly replacing her ball. Now how in hell can a viewer, let alone the cameras get such a defined picture that they can tell that? And on a putt of one stinking foot that anyone in the world can make with their eyes closed. Just total BS!
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

If she's devastated over this I'll offer my services to console her.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 02, 2017, 10:10:53 pm
So Lexi Thompson has a 3 stroke lead in the final round of the ANA Inspiration and is headed to the 13th tee when officials inform her she was being assessed a FOUR shot penalty for allegedly incorrectly replacing her ball on the mark for a 1 foot putt on hole seventeen yesterday afternoon. Seems a viewer watching on TV called in the perceived infraction. So instead of being up by three Lexi now trails by one stroke. She did manage to tie the new leader but lost the tourney in the playoff.

That is just such BS that a golfer can lose when some ref wannabe can call in from Timbuktu and affect a tourney winner in such a way. Lexi got screwed!

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19062269/lexi-thompson-gets-4-shot-penalty-loses-major-viewer-email

Glad you posted this because I knew something had happened but didn't know what.  Not the first time someone called in and a player suffers but I guess I'm wondering what are you doing marking a one foot putt? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 06:32:47 am
Glad you posted this because I knew something had happened but didn't know what.  Not the first time someone called in and a player suffers but I guess I'm wondering what are you doing marking a one foot putt? 

Making it an 11" putt??

onebadrubi

Isn't this one of their new rules, to not allow this type of thing?

Also, golf should of had a time frame on this, once that score card was signed or something they should not allow it to be changed. Just stupid, but I didn't know anyone watched the LPGA anyways...

GolfNut57

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 03, 2017, 07:47:11 am
Isn't this one of their new rules, to not allow this type of thing?

Also, golf should of had a time frame on this, once that score card was signed or something they should not allow it to be changed. Just stupid, but I didn't know anyone watched the LPGA anyways...

The only rule change from last year that I know of is they no longer disqualify you for the incorrect scorecard in that scenario. You just get a 2 stroke penalty for it. In her case she also got the additional 2 strokes added for the improper replacing of her ball making it a four stroke screw job.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 06:32:47 am

To avoid standing on someone's line I guess. <shrug>

hogsanity

That viewers can call in infractions in golf is a joke. Usually in majors each group has a rules official or at least each hole has one, so if the players does not self report, his or her playing partner (s) do not see it, no caddies sees, and the walking marshal and/or rules official doe not see it, well then they just get away with it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 03, 2017, 08:11:51 am
To avoid standing on someone's line I guess. <shrug>

You know this jerk has a group he plays in.  Wonder what they think about him?  Guarantee he's a dick. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Iwastherein1969

This is horse manure....I've seen Spieth, Woods more than anyone, Bubba Watson...damn I can't nor will try to name them all....Americans do it for some reason....many American pro's mark the ball on the green just to the side, not directly behind and then they replace the ball directly in front of the mark...they don't do it every time, but on shorter putts there are spike marks and just a one inch variation in angle can get an unwanted spike mark just out of your line....Yeah, I think it's Chickenshite, too, but those are the rules of golf until 2019 when you can begin to repair spike marks.

ad: must have been an old dried up heifer who is jealous of Lexie's looks and popularity to make that call...I mean, how can any heterosexual male do something like give a female who looks like this a 4 shot penalty...some of you shorter guys out there might give Lexie a four inch penalty, but, oh well, glad I don't have that power outage
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Jackrabbit Hog

After seeing the video this morning, I think she did deserve a penalty for an improper mark - and I think it was just carelessness on her part, certainly nothing nefarious about it.  However, the thing that gets me is the "piling on" effect of the penalty shots.  Make it 2 shots for the bad mark, or 2 shots for the incorrect scorecard, but not both.  My gosh, I don't think I've ever heard of a 4 shot penalty for one mistake like what happened to Lexi, certainly not when the stakes were so high.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 03, 2017, 12:00:00 pm
After seeing the video this morning, I think she did deserve a penalty for an improper mark - and I think it was just carelessness on her part, certainly nothing nefarious about it.  However, the thing that gets me is the "piling on" effect of the penalty shots.  Make it 2 shots for the bad mark, or 2 shots for the incorrect scorecard, but not both.  My gosh, I don't think I've ever heard of a 4 shot penalty for one mistake like what happened to Lexi, certainly not when the stakes were so high.

Until recently she would have been dq'd once they assessed the penalty for the bad mark because she would have signed an incorrect scorecard.

The whole viewer reported thing is just absurd.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 03, 2017, 12:00:00 pm
My gosh, I don't think I've ever heard of a 4 shot penalty for one mistake

I didn't know there was one either.  I'd heard of a two stroke but not 4.   

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 12:12:57 pm
I didn't know there was one either.  I'd heard of a two stroke but not 4.   

2 penalties, 2 strokes each.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 03, 2017, 08:10:39 am
The only rule change from last year that I know of is they no longer disqualify you for the incorrect scorecard in that scenario. You just get a 2 stroke penalty for it. In her case she also got the additional 2 strokes added for the improper replacing of her ball making it a four stroke screw job.

I believe in the new rules they proposed a month ago, the ability to call in from TV and mention the breaking of a rule will not be allowed.  I believe it was an interpretation of a rulling on either ball movement or relief, but this is off of my memory. 

hoghappy

It should have just been a 2 stroke penalty. She had signed he score card
In good faith. For my opinion, the penalty should have not been assessed after she started the next days round.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 09:32:58 am
You know this jerk has a group he plays in.  Wonder what they think about him?  Guarantee he's a dick.

Could have been a woman that called it in....as was mentioned below. The article said they actually sent an email reporting it.

hogsanity

I played golf competitively for many years, played on scholarship for two years in college, watched more golf on tv than any human should, and I have never, not one time, said " oh crap they just made a violation, I better call the pga office ". Even if I saw a violation, I would not think about calling it in for one second. Not my job. That belongs to the people on the course.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 03, 2017, 01:14:05 pm
2 penalties, 2 strokes each.

I understand that but I'm in the group with JackRabbit Hog, they piled one on top of the other and I don't like that. The PGA is so self-righteous, high and mighty it's sickening to a lot of people.  The deal with Dustin Johnson last year, forcing the players to play in high winds then penalizing them if the ball is moved by the wind after they've grounded their putter (I think they're changing this one) it just goes on and on. 

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 02:17:00 pm
I understand that but I'm in the group with JackRabbit Hog, they piled one on top of the other and I don't like that. The PGA is so self-righteous, high and mighty it's sickening to a lot of people.  The deal with Dustin Johnson last year, forcing the players to play in high winds then penalizing them if the ball is moved by the wind after they've grounded their putter (I think they're changing this one) it just goes on and on. 

So you think she should've gotten penalized on a buy one get one free program?

This is not nam, boar, this is golf.  There are rules.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 03, 2017, 02:32:56 pm
So you think she should've gotten penalized on a buy one get one free program?

This is not nam, boar, this is golf.  There are rules.

LOL!  You're right, however, I do think some of the rules are BS.   Nam?

Dillar Dog

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 03, 2017, 02:51:10 pm
Yes. Nam.

Guess I don't know what that's from so you win. 

They've got Jimmy Walker on the Golf Channel and they asked him about this deal and he said he felt she got a raw deal.  He made a very valid point when he said he doesn't think people should be able to call in and call out fouls on players.  Some players have a lot more cameras on them than others and he's dead right on that. 

EastexHawg

It's not the viewer's fault that Lexi was careless marking her ball, or marked it a little off to one side to avoid a spike mark. 

As I understand it the reasoning for the two penalties is this.  Let's say Lexi does something to incur a penalty but immediately calls a violation on herself.  In that case she only adds the two shots to her score.  But...if she doesn't call the penalty on herself and therefore signs for a score two shots lower than she should have, the incorrect score penalty is added.

It sucks that it happened to her, but the person who caused Lexi to be penalized is Lexi, not the person who saw it.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 03, 2017, 03:29:51 pm
It's not the viewer's fault that Lexi was careless marking her ball, or marked it a little off to one side to avoid a spike mark. 

As I understand it the reasoning for the two penalties is this.  Let's say Lexi does something to incur a penalty but immediately calls a violation on herself.  In that case she only adds the two shots to her score.  But...if she doesn't call the penalty on herself and therefore signs for a score two shots lower than she should have, the incorrect score penalty is added.

It sucks that it happened to her, but the person who caused Lexi to be penalized is Lexi, not the person who saw it.

So should viewers be allowed to call in to the NFL, or MBL, or A tennis match to report violations, and have those penalties assessed the day after the violation takes place?

I am not saying she did or did not commit an infraction. My beef is with the imposing of the penalty the next day, which then also brings about the 2 stroke penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 03:11:35 pm

They've got Jimmy Walker on the Golf Channel and they asked him about this deal and he said he felt she got a raw deal.  He made a very valid point when he said he doesn't think people should be able to call in and call out fouls on players.  Some players have a lot more cameras on them than others and he's dead right on that. 

This isn't a competition. 

It's from the big lebowski.  You should watch it.  It takes a couple of times to really appreciate it so watch it more than once.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2017, 04:08:55 pm
So should viewers be allowed to call in to the NFL, or MBL, or A tennis match to report violations, and have those penalties assessed the day after the violation takes place?

I am not saying she did or did not commit an infraction. My beef is with the imposing of the penalty the next day, which then also brings about the 2 stroke penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard.

As I understand it the viewer didn't see the violation until watching his/her DVR recording later that night or the next day.

As you know, golf is different.  Players in those sports don't call penalties on themselves.  In fact, they try to fool the officials into thinking they didn't drop the pass, or short hop the line drive, or flop from little or no contact when they know dang well they did.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 03, 2017, 05:27:21 pm
As I understand it the viewer didn't see the violation until watching his/her DVR recording later that night or the next day.

I don't pay much attention to the LPGA and didn't realize until this afternoon that the violations occurred Saturday and the penalty didn't come until Sunday.  Maybe they need a statute of limitations because that's just seems wrong to me to pop someone a day after the fact.  I wish they'd make the name of the person who called in public. 

pigture perfect

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 06:10:38 pm
I don't pay much attention to the LPGA and didn't realize until this afternoon that the violations occurred Saturday and the penalty didn't come until Sunday.  Maybe they need a statute of limitations because that's just seems wrong to me to pop someone a day after the fact.  I wish they'd make the name of the person who called in public. 
This is my issue as well. Middle of the round on the last day is not fair to the participant for a penalty that happened earlier in the tourney. She could have played holes a little differently had she known at the beginning of the round.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Boarcephus

clutch

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 06:10:38 pm

I agree. If they catch it and call it in before the player finishes the round, fine. It sucks that a viewer can assess a penalty, but golf is different. If they catch in on replay and call it out a day later, that should be too late.

There was a very good point though about it not being fair to all players. Some of them have no shots on TV, so nothing for the viewers to see. It hurts the top players a lot more because they spend more time on camera and have nearly every shot shown.

Boarcephus

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2017, 08:11:16 pm
I agree. If they catch it and call it in before the player finishes the round, fine. It sucks that a viewer can assess a penalty, but golf is different. If they catch in on replay and call it out a day later, that should be too late.

There was a very good point though about it not being fair to all players. Some of them have no shots on TV, so nothing for the viewers to see. It hurts the top players a lot more because they spend more time on camera and have nearly every shot shown.

What happens if they don't get around to viewing it until after the tournament is over?  Take it away from her?  I thought Walker had a great point, you only see just a handful of players on TV.  You see highlights of others if they do something great but you see Tiger spit, DJ scratch his nuts, etc.

GoHogs1091

To me, it is okay for someone from the outside contacting the Tournament officials.  To me, it is not okay for someone on the outside contacting a day later.

Since they allow someone contacting the officials the next day, then the incorrect scorecard penalty should not be enforced.  If they want to access the incorrect scorecard penalty, then the outside agency (person) should be notifying the officials the day of the infraction.

She was not given a chance to sign a correct scorecard.

It may get to the point that Tour players (all Tours) should refuse to sign their scorecard until a video montage of all of the player's actions involving shots is viewed by the player a long with a Tournament official.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 03:11:35 pm

That is a very valid point.

clutch

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 03, 2017, 08:31:54 pm
What happens if they don't get around to viewing it until after the tournament is over?  Take it away from her?  I thought Walker had a great point, you only see just a handful of players on TV.  You see highlights of others if they do something great but you see Tiger spit, DJ scratch his nuts, etc.

This week with the Masters will be a great example of that. You will have certain guys in the "feature group" who they follow through the whole round, everyone else you will get to watch for about 4-6 holes if you are following the special broadcasts, maybe none if you are watching the actual TV coverage.

onebadrubi

In today's world you often only get once chance to get something right.  If you don't get it right then it becomes a larger issue that can escalate.  The LPGA did not think beyond the scope of penalizing her, now they look pretty bad among their peers, their members, and outside people.  Never go full stupid to let it interfere with common sense.  Instead of admitting their wrong doing, they made sure to highlight someone else's (Lexi's). 

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 04, 2017, 12:20:58 pm
In today's world you often only get once chance to get something right.  If you don't get it right then it becomes a larger issue that can escalate.  The LPGA did not think beyond the scope of penalizing her, now they look pretty bad among their peers, their members, and outside people.  Never go full stupid to let it interfere with common sense.  Instead of admitting their wrong doing, they made sure to highlight someone else's (Lexi's). 

I do not think the LPGA did anything wrong, they operated within the rules of golf as set forth. Honestly, under the rules, I am not sure they had much of a choice once made aware of the violation.

What I am sure of is this will be the nail in the coffin of viewers being able to call in and report these things. As rightly pointed out there is much more scrutiny available of the final groups, or the best players than of the group teeing off a dawn.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2017, 01:45:57 pm
I do not think the LPGA did anything wrong, they operated within the rules of golf as set forth. Honestly, under the rules, I am not sure they had much of a choice once made aware of the violation.

What I am sure of is this will be the nail in the coffin of viewers being able to call in and report these things. As rightly pointed out there is much more scrutiny available of the final groups, or the best players than of the group teeing off a dawn.

You're right.  Once the situation came to light, the LPGA had no real alternative.  Let's say they decided to penalize Lexi for the bad mark - 2 strokes by rule - but then elected not to penalize her for the incorrect scorecard because they felt she had been sufficiently penalized already.  That's selective enforcement, and while it may have led to a more equitable result, it would have opened up a whole new can of worms for them; i.e., what rules are okay to enforce and what rules are okay to overlook?  The answer, of course, is none of them should be overlooked. 

It was an incredibly harsh ruling for Lexi, but the LPGA had no choice.  I don't know what the answer is, but there's got to be a better way of doing things.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2017, 01:45:57 pm

True but the leaders and certain other players are playing under an entirely different set of rules and that's not fair.  Do you see every single player mark and replace every putt?  No you don't.  I don't think it's fair for some jerk sitting on couch eating Pringles call in a day after and effect the outcome of the match.  The rules were set up so every player plays under the same set of rules and that's not the case any more. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 04, 2017, 04:47:55 pm
That's true, Boarcephus but that is the flip side of playing for all the money they are these days.  With more dough, comes more scrutiny.  One solution that is possible right now is to have an official with every group.  But even they would not be able to see every move and mark and could miss something. 

I think the answer is very simple, do not allow callers to call in and point out errors if the players, officials and whoever is on the course at the time missed it.  Even collegiate athletics have a replay on the field and the play stands as called after reviewing it at the time it occurs.   I know there are instances where they may go back a little later and say they missed the call but they don't change the outcome of the game.  Lord knows the PGA has the $$$, assign an official with every group but let it go at that but to allow these jerks to call in and effect the outcome is wrong.  Just my $.02

majestic

Is there any other sport/game where a viewer can call, email, etc. to protest a play? This is dumb as hell.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 04, 2017, 03:17:39 pm
You're right.  Once the situation came to light, the LPGA had no real alternative.  Let's say they decided to penalize Lexi for the bad mark - 2 strokes by rule - but then elected not to penalize her for the incorrect scorecard because they felt she had been sufficiently penalized already.  That's selective enforcement, and while it may have led to a more equitable result, it would have opened up a whole new can of worms for them; i.e., what rules are okay to enforce and what rules are okay to overlook?  The answer, of course, is none of them should be overlooked. 

It was an incredibly harsh ruling for Lexi, but the LPGA had no choice. I don't know what the answer is, but there's got to be a better way of doing things.

They can always pass an rule that says that a player can not be penalized for signing an incorrect scorecard if the penalty stroke(s) is assessed after that days play and the scorecard has been signed and turned in. The scorecard rules really suck. If you sign for a score lower than you shot they penalize you. But if you sign for a score higher than you actually shot the score becomes official because they want to say you should have been aware  of your actual score. So in effect the ruling bodies can change your score to a higher one after the fact with a penalty but then refuse to lower it after the fact when a higher number is incorrectly scored on a hole. That is a two way street named Bullchit Avenue!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 04, 2017, 05:22:19 pm
They can always pass an rule that says that a player can not be penalized for signing an incorrect scorecard if the penalty stroke(s) is assessed after that days play. The scorecard rules really suck. If you sign for a score lower than you shot they penalize you. But if you sign for a score higher than you actually shot the score becomes official because they want to say you should have been aware  of your actual score. So in effect the ruling bodies can change your score to a higher one after the fact with a penalty but then refuse to lower it after the fact when a higher number is incorrectly scored on a hole. That is a two way street named Bullchit Avenue!

And don't forget, on the PGA Tour (and I assume most other tours), you don't even keep your own card.  You keep your playing partner's card and then check and sign yours after the round.  So while you do have the responsibility of verifying its accuracy, it's not even information you recorded yourself.

Just ask Roberto de Vincenzo how that worked out for him.  "What a stupid I am.."

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 04, 2017, 05:25:50 pm
And don't forget, on the PGA Tour (and I assume most other tours), you don't even keep your own card.  You keep your playing partner's card and then check and sign yours after the round.  So while you do have the responsibility of verifying its accuracy, it's not even information you recorded yourself.

Just ask Roberto de Vincenzo how that worked out for him.  "What a stupid I am.."

Perfect week to bring up ole Roberto.

GolfNut57

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 04, 2017, 07:37:26 pm
I agree the PGA has the money, wonder if the LPGA does.....and then of course, would they be willing to spend it.

Ironically it was the LPGA tour that a couple years ago really went all out on promoting the tour in effort to get more viewers to watch them play. Sometimes you just gotta let sleeping dogs lie.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 04, 2017, 10:20:53 pm
Ironically it was the LPGA tour that a couple years ago really went all out on promoting the tour in effort to get more viewers to watch them play. Sometimes you just gotta let sleeping dogs lie.

The current commissioner of the LPGA, Mike Whan, is a pretty savvy guy.  The previous commissioner was some old gal who almost drove the tour into extinction.  She was apparently pretty abrasive, pished off sponsors, and made no friends along the way.  Whan took over and has done a lot to restore the tour to popularity and marketability.  And he has brokered some partnership deals with the PGA, which can only help both tours going forward.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 04, 2017, 05:25:50 pm

While it is true your playing partner records your score, there is not a competitive golfer alive that does now write down his or her own score somewhere. I used to keep mine on the bottom of my opponents card, or if it was a really nice tournament, I'd keep it on the front page of my notebook. I kept it somewhere just in case there was a discrepancy when I went to verify my card.