Started by FORTVEGAS, September 20, 2014, 07:29:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTVEGAS

Only one more week.

[attachment deleted by admin]

grayhawg

Count me in, I'll be in the woods.

AcornHunter

Nice pic . . . I was doin alright til I studied and pondered on it.  Now I feel like I'm gettin a fever.

That looks like a spot where you could pick up a messa venison or rats.

My favorite time of the year is fast approaching.

Have fun!

howie76

Hope that dude's got some good camo!!

1highhog

September 22, 2014, 03:33:07 pm #4 Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:09:36 pm by 1highhog
Decent looking Bucks.  Here's the two I've got on my property, I've been watching the first one now for all of September.  The 2nd one just showed up Thrusday of last week and has came out every afternoon since.  I want him so bad I can taste him already.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: howie76 on September 22, 2014, 02:57:54 pm
Hope that dude's got some good camo!!
I have got the stand skirted with some camo now and it looks a lot better. lol

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: 1highhog on September 22, 2014, 03:33:07 pm
Decent looking Bucks.  Here's the two I've got on my property, I've been watching the first one now for all of September.  The 2nd one just showed up Thrusday of last week and has came out every afternoon since.  I want him so bad I can taste him already.
MOTHA OF GOD!! I want that second.

Albert Einswine

I'm ready, but it ain't happening this fall. I'm moving back to NEA at the first of 2015 and will be extremely busy between now and the end of the year closing up shop here in Indiana and getting something built to move to on the farm. Hopefully I'll be able to get some late archery season in between the levees on the St. Francis behind my place.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

grayhawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 23, 2014, 08:07:19 pm
I'm ready, but it ain't happening this fall. I'm moving back to NEA at the first of 2015 and will be extremely busy between now and the end of the year closing up shop here in Indiana and getting something built to move to on the farm. Hopefully I'll be able to get some late archery season in between the levees on the St. Francis behind my place.
Good for you, welcome home.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: grayhawg on September 24, 2014, 08:28:45 am
Good for you, welcome home.

Thanks, gray, I've been gone for a decade and I miss Arkansas. My two youngest kids are moving back to the Little Rock area at the end of November and I'll be on vacation from the end of November til after Christmas working on living quarters on the farm before I come back up and work my last 3 days here in Indiana. I'm really rolling the dice here, resigning a great paying job for total uncertainty, but I can't be completely isolated from family by 500+ miles. I may be plunging into poverty, only time will tell, but I can be poor and happy being 25 minutes from my grandkids.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

1highhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 24, 2014, 09:27:51 am

Thanks, gray, I've been gone for a decade and I miss Arkansas. My two youngest kids are moving back to the Little Rock area at the end of November and I'll be on vacation from the end of November til after Christmas working on living quarters on the farm before I come back up and work my last 3 days here in Indiana. I'm really rolling the dice here, resigning a great paying job for total uncertainty, but I can't be completely isolated from family by 500+ miles. I may be plunging into poverty, only time will tell, but I can be poor and happy being 25 minutes from my grandkids.

Unless you re older than dirt and extremely picky on choosing a specific type job, you will do well back here in the great State.  I just turned 50 yesterday and I'm already to the point that I can consider retiring.  There's plenty of jobs to be had, if people are willing to work.  I'm sure you will do well.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on September 24, 2014, 09:37:21 am
Unless you re older than dirt and extremely picky on choosing a specific type job, you will do well back here in the great State.  I just turned 50 yesterday and I'm already to the point that I can consider retiring.  There's plenty of jobs to be had, if people are willing to work.  I'm sure you will do well.

I turn 49 in January, am a skilled industrial maintenance tech with all sorts of other accumulated skills like light automotive repair, carpentry, etc... heck, I've never met an appliance I couldn't fix. The thing is, I've been doing factory maintenance since not too long after I got out of the Air Force and I'm burned out on the whole thing. Tired of being on someone else's schedule, spending the daylight hours trapped in a huge building and no way in hades I'm going to work nights again. I'm leaning toward self employment in general odd jobbery. I think there's a market for it.

1highhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 24, 2014, 09:44:46 am
I turn 49 in January, am a skilled industrial maintenance tech with all sorts of other accumulated skills like light automotive repair, carpentry, etc... heck, I've never met an appliance I couldn't fix. The thing is, I've been doing factory maintenance since not too long after I got out of the Air Force and I'm burned out on the whole thing. Tired of being on someone else's schedule, spending the daylight hours trapped in a huge building and no way in hades I'm going to work nights again. I'm leaning toward self employment in general odd jobbery. I think there's a market for it.

There's a great market for it.  I never went to College, started working building spec homes around Bryant, Benton, Conway, for years and years with two of my best friends. We built from the ground up, doing most of the work ourselves until we could afford to hire out and find good subs, not and easy chore.  When myself and one of my friends got a little long in the tooth we decided to try something different, we decided to get into a market of remodel jobs, but these were remodels on turn of the century houses in the heights area and some in the Hillcrest Area in Little Rock.  Not many crews were doing it at the time, so we started out and liked to have starved for a year until we got our foot in the door with a architect firm and some designers, once we got that going, we were In.  We've been busy ever since, it's a recession proof job and most of our jobs range from $300,000 to well over a $1million.  In the last ten years, I've been able to save up enough that between my work and my wife, we can now look at retiring.  But I doubt we will, I'd be bored in less than a week.

So with your skills, there's plenty of work out there, don't get stuck doing something you hate, I have to say, I love my work as much now as I did the day I started.

Albert Einswine

Good words, 1highhog, you may know, or know of, my sister being in that line of work in Little Rock.

1highhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 24, 2014, 12:26:43 pm
Good words, 1highhog, you may know, or know of, my sister being in that line of work in Little Rock.

I know of quite a few, we've been doing it for quite a long time.  Once you get word of mouth going about your work in those neighborhoods then you're pretty well set.  It's funny though, you could build them a house twice the size and twice as cheap labor wise if they would just bulldoze down some of these almost to far gone houses that were built around the later 1890's to early 1920's, but nope, they want that old house, even though you have to completely tear up the floor, redo everything underneath, most all the walls which are plaster, you can see from one side of the house through to the other side, replacing studs and ceiling joists, a lot of the rafters, etc., to make the house look the way it did when it was brand new.  It'd be netter to tear it all down and let us build a brand new one built exactly like the old one.

Pudgepork

you won't have a problem staying busier than you want in general repair, once you get the word and your number out.   I have some friends in that line of work, all south of Jonesboro and they can't take a day off from their schedule or they are swamped

Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly

cc

I had a couple of good shooters on camera till they started cutting corn around me and there is still some standing.  I'm hoping it will all be gone well before the first muzzle loader season.  But I will be out there Saturday.

CallThemHawgs!

Those are some lookers...

grayhawg

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 25, 2014, 08:56:44 pm
Where I hunt on the white river the skeeters are miserable. 30 mins before dark you cant stand still without getting carried off. They can screw a chicken standing flat footed at my place
Thermacell!

FORTVEGAS

DeltaBoy

Deer steaks and Deer Chili that some good eating.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.