aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 01:13:35 pm
former walk on-Gibson
current walk on-clary
former d- lineman-froholdt

Even if they just happen to be the best options, if the coach is starting them then I have to believe that they are.  What kind of statement does this make for out O-Line recruiting?

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 01:12:11 pm
But that's what blue shirt MEANS, GUV.  The term literally means you walk on for a semester and go on scholarship with the next class.

I agree. He is scholarship quality but agreed to walk on for a semester so as to allow the scholarship that would have been his to be used for another recruit. He was listed as a "preferred walk on" so he could start practice in August since he had been guaranteed a scholarship in January. If one of the scholarship recruits had not qualified, he would already be on scholarship.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:19:55 pm
I agree. He is scholarship quality but agreed to walk on for a semester so as to allow the scholarship that would have been his to be used for another recruit. He was listed as a "preferred walk on" so he could start practice in August since he had been guaranteed a scholarship in January. If one of the scholarship recruits had not qualified, he would already be on scholarship.

So we can agree that he's a walk-on this year, correct?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

He didn't decline a scholarship this semester so it could be used for another recruit. He wasn't offered one.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Guv, who did he give his scholarship up for, since you're in the know?

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 01:20:52 pm
So we can agree that he's a walk-on this year, correct?

This semester yes, but he's not a typical walk-on.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:24:10 pm

He didn't decline a scholarship this semester so it could be used for another recruit. He wasn't offered one.

Correct

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:24:27 pm
This semester yes, but he's not a typical walk-on.

Guv, your getting closer.. just a little more... your almost there...strain

redleg

Who cares?!!!  >:(
If he has earned the starting job, does it really matter whether he is a walk-on for this semester or not?!
NO! It doesn't matter! Geez! You folks are focusing on the wrong question!
We should be asking "What has happened to the Razorback offensive line since Sam Pittman left?"
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 01:24:14 pm
Guv, who did he give his scholarship up for, since you're in the know?

I have no idea who the staff gave it to. I only know he agreed to "Blue Shirt" to allow his scholarship to be used for another recruit.

It was mentioned on the Pig Trail several times.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:28:01 pm
I have no idea who the staff gave it to. I only know he agreed to "Blue Shirt" to allow his scholarship to be used for another recruit.

It was mentioned on the Pig Trail several times.

Find it for us, please.......

The_Iceman

Quote from: redleg on September 18, 2017, 01:14:02 pm
Clary has bulked up since his roster listing...he is now around 295 lbs. Do any of you "football experts" really think you know who to start better than Bielema and Anderson, who are actually coaches? Of course you do, what am I thinking!

If these coaches are so great, why are the guys that have been in their system longer less prepared than a kid that showed up 8 weeks ago?

I'm not saying Clary isn't going to be a good OL, but him playing right now is an indictment of the coaching staff.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:24:10 pm

They asked him to blue shirt so they could offer a scholarship to another player. Had one of the scholarship players not qualified, he would already be on scholarship.

jst01

you guys expecting Guv to admit defeat are hilarious. He'll go to his grave wearing a 'Blue Shirt' in the coffin just to make a point.

rhames

All that said. Obviously some people missed on the kid. Including our staff to an extent.

He would be on scholarship now if they thought he would be starting on the oline

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Wildhog

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:33:09 pm
All that said. Obviously some people missed on the kid. Including our staff to an extent.

He would be on scholarship now if they thought he would be starting on the oline

Oh, I'm thrilled to have him. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:32:05 pm
They asked him to blue shirt so they could offer a scholarship to another player. Had one of the scholarship players not qualified, he would already be on scholarship.

Soooooo they didn't think he was worthy of a scholarship up front?

Get your story straight.

Been10Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 01:31:38 pm
If these coaches are so great, why are the guys that have been in their system longer less prepared than a kid that showed up 8 weeks ago?

I'm not saying Clary isn't going to be a good OL, but him playing right now is an indictment of the coaching staff.
Thank you!! Same thing I was saying about that dumb ass Nick Saban who had the idiocy to start a Freshman at quarterback last year when he had 4 star QBs on the roster! ??? Wait maybe Jalen Hurts beat them out and Saint Nick decided to play the player who gave them the best chance to win! Could Bielema be playing the players he and the assistants have watched in practice and think give us the best chance to win? Or is it a conspiracy to play players inept and get away with it while managing to go to bowl games and keep his job?

Kevin

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 18, 2017, 01:36:57 pm
Thank you!! Same thing I was saying about that dumb ass Nick Saban who had the idiocy to start a Freshman at quarterback last year when he had 4 star QBs on the roster! ??? Wait maybe Jalen Hurts beat them out and Saint Nick decided to play the player who gave them the best chance to win! Could Bielema be playing the players he and the assistants have watched in practice and think give us the best chance to win? Or is it a conspiracy to play players inept and get away with it while managing to go to bowl games and keep his job?

I did not know hurts was a walk on
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Been10Hog

a0ashle

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:34:13 pm

Get your story straight.

See they have this limit on scholarships, thinking a player worthy of one and having one to give are different things. Additionally players who blueshift have to have the means to pay their own way for a semester, yet another aspect to who gets a scholly.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:34:13 pm

Get your story straight.

My story is straight. They thought he was worthy of a scholarship but since his family could well afford to pay his tuition for a semester, they asked him to Blue Shirt and go on scholarship in January which freed up a scholarship for another recruit.

Think about it a minute. This young man was going to be a Hog even if he had to do it as an ordinary walk-on for 4 years so the fact that they guaranteed him a scholarship in January says they believe he is scholarship quality.

Kevin

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 18, 2017, 01:39:17 pm
Didn't know I said he was

the comparison you made. hurts was a 4 star out of hs.

we have walk ons starting in front of 4 star guys
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

a0ashle

rhames

Quote from: a0ashle on September 18, 2017, 01:40:56 pm
See they have this limit on scholarships, thinking a player worthy of one and having one to give are different things. Additionally players who blueshift have to have the means to pay their own way for a semester, yet another aspect to who gets a scholly.

Obviously he wasn't worthy enough at the time in the eyes of the staff or he would been offered one. Right? They had guys they would have rather offered in the constraints in which they were working.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:42:24 pm
My story is straight. They thought he was worthy of a scholarship but since his family could well afford to pay his tuition for a semester, they asked him to Blue Shirt and go on scholarship in January which freed up a scholarship for another recruit.

LOL. That's your story and you're sticking to it.

Even though you've provided no proof.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 01:42:34 pm
the comparison you made. hurts was a 4 star out of hs.

we have walk ons starting in front of 4 star guys
My point is rankings don't matter unless the high ranked high school guy can beat out everyone else at the position. The coaches will play the best players. Hatfield recruited the #1 center in the country out of Texas, Dwayne Spann. When he got to campus I could bench press more than him as a 170# walkon DB. See Otis Kirk comment on that

http://nep.247sports.com/Gallery/Arkansas-Razorback-Recruiting-Luke-Jones-Noah-Gatlin-Will-Burges-53075076/Replies

Kevin

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:46:24 pm

LOL. That's your story and you're sticking to it.

so you are doubting it

rhames

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 01:47:00 pm
so you are doubting it

If guv said the sky was blue I'd begin to question everything.

a0ashle

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:45:37 pm

Obviously he wasn't worthy enough at the time in the eyes of the staff or he would been offered one. Right? They had guys they would have rather offered in the constraints in which they were working.

Did you read my post? The best you could say is that they didn't think he was more worthy then the other 25 or so guys, but even then you may be wrong. There is more to it. It's easier for a instate, local player to foot a semester of tuition, then an out of state player 1000 miles away.

I have no knowledge that this played a role, but it seems completely within the realm of reason and therefore we can't logically say that scholarship is the sole measure of how high a kid is on the coaching staff's list.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 01:45:37 pm

He was worthy enough but they didn't need to because he agreed to pay tuition for a semester and go on scholarship in January. It would have been silly to use a scholarship to get him when they didn't need to.

I know you can't accept the fact that a Freshman Blue Shirt O-Lineman can be good enough to start for the Hogs but that's just the way it is.

Been10Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:59:06 pm
He was worthy enough but they didn't need to because he agreed to pay tuition for a semester and go on scholarship in January. It would have been silly to use a scholarship to get him when they didn't need to.
Seems like a good recruiting ploy! We should have had BA and AA walkon and live at home with Mom and Dad :P

porkbellys

you all do realize it all depends on what package the starting play script Enos has planned, as to who actually will be on the field during the first series.
No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

rhames

Quote from: a0ashle on September 18, 2017, 01:53:29 pm
Did you read my post? The best you could say is that they didn't think he was more worthy then the other 25 or so guys, but even then you may be wrong. There is more to it. It's easier for a instate, local player to foot a semester of tuition, then an out of state player 1000 miles away.

I have no knowledge that this played a role, but it seems completely within the realm of reason and therefore we can't logically say that scholarship is the sole measure of how high a kid is on the coaching staff's list.

I did read your post. The kid had other offers else where at d1. With out them offering a full scholly they ran the risk of losing the kid. Which by not offering him a full ride implied that they would have been ok with that.

a0ashle

Quote from: porkbellys on September 18, 2017, 02:02:52 pm
you all do realize it all depends on what package the starting play script Enos has planned, as to who actually will be on the field during the first series.

If even that much. Like depth charts mean so little during the game, it's just fan fodder.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:59:06 pm

I know you can't accept the fact that a Freshman Blue Shirt O-Lineman can be good enough to start for the Hogs but that's just the way it is.

You provided no proof of that

Also I have accepted the fact. I actually said our staff missed on him to some extent by not offering him a full ride up front.

SemperHawg

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 02:05:47 pm

I did read your post. The kid had other offers else where at d1. With out them offering a full scholly they ran the risk of losing the kid. Which by not offering him a full ride implied that they would have been ok with that.
Other notable offers, Cincy, Kansas, Air Force, A-State, and UCA

a0ashle

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 02:05:47 pm

thats the risk. I am certainly not saying he was #1 out of recruits, but whether he was 20,25, or 26 you can't say. It's a very blurry line at the bottom of the list where schollys run out.

jkstock04

Quote from: SemperHawg on September 18, 2017, 01:18:10 pm
Even if they just happen to be the best options, if the coach is starting them then I have to believe that they are.  What kind of statement does this make for out O-Line recruiting?
Be impossible to have it both ways. Either they are playing favorites, guys that make good grades and show up to meetings on time over more talented guys...or the supposed more talented guys really aren't more talented/haven't been coached well.

I tend to believe they are trying to play the best options possible...which to me means (o-line wise) there were some serious misses on recruiting and possibly coaching.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rhames

Quote from: SemperHawg on September 18, 2017, 02:08:09 pm
Other notable offers, Cincy, Kansas, Air Force, A-State, and UCA

Pretty sure he had a Tulsa offer too. I could be wrong.

FWF79

Why do they keep saying they need to get TJ Hammonds on the field but leave him down the depth chart?   Why not KR and PR?   Why no Hayden on KR?     
Frustrating we see NO changes outside of the kicker. 

rhames

Quote from: FWF79 on September 18, 2017, 02:15:31 pm
Why do they keep saying they need to get TJ Hammonds on the field but leave him down the depth chart?   Why not KR and PR?   Why no Hayden on KR?     
Frustrating we see NO changes outside of the kicker. 

I'd say let's see what happens Saturday. We don't see more of them then, I think the staff has some explaining to do.

jkstock04

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:42:24 pm

GUV this is crazy even for you boss. So just for the hell of it his family was cool with paying tuition simply for the good of the team? That doesn't make much sense. What does make sense is they told him look we want you but this is the best we can do for you if you want to come here. Obviously they didn't deem him talented enough to give him a scholarship right off the bat or they would have.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ThisTeetsTaken

In summation, Ty Clary's High School coaches prepared him better for Power 5 Conference football than Bielema and his staff prepared the Razorback players.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

SemperHawg

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 02:15:28 pm

Pretty sure he had a Tulsa offer too. I could be wrong.
Just going off of what was on his 247 profile

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 01:31:38 pm

Because they are recruiting better?  Or maybe a player just isn't putting in effort?  There are many options to debunk your comment, but we obviously already see your agenda.

a0ashle

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 02:21:53 pm
GUV this is crazy even for you boss. So just for the hell of it his family was cool with paying tuition simply for the good of the team? That doesn't make much sense. What does make sense is they told him look we want you but this is the best we can do for you if you want to come here. Obviously they didn't deem him talented enough to give him a scholarship right off the bat or they would have.

They thought they had a better chance asking him to blueshirt then other players. They didn't expect him to be a starter day one, but he wasnt necessarily below everyone with a scholly. It's not hard people. It's a risk, you have one scholarship but like two people around the same amount. Do you just blindly give a scholly to the guy who is slightly higher on your board, or do you weigh the likelihood of each player to accept a blueshirt?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 02:33:06 pm
Clary is a non scholarship blue shirt so your recruiting argument is bunk. If he was a must have recruit, he would've been offered by this staff along with other SEC schools.

And as far as effort goes, Wallace took Jackson's RT spot last year and never gave it up. I don't question his talent or effort. Everyone saw it last year.

I am not getting involved in the dumb GUv argument over what clary technically is or isn't, however, just because a kid goes under recruited, does not mean he can not walk on campus and play.  That is just your agenda getting in the way of thinking. 

We've watched Clary for two games now not screw up.  We have 5th year players that have screwed up, yet here we are complaining about a guy that isn't messing up?  You guys are pitiful.

RealHog

I think we can all agree that O-line and their recruiting has been a disaster the past two years. I don't care if they were all 5 star all Americans, last year they gave up 34 sacks, and Allen had good pocket presence or that would have been higher.

Been10Hog

Why do people think recruiting rankings matter once a player is on campus? If they don't win a spot because they were a) ranked inaccurately or b) Don't have a good work ethic and don't progress or c) are beaten out by someone who comes in under the radar like J.J. Watt then they do not deserve a position.

Google Dwayne Spann for examples of a,b and c