Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 18, 2017, 07:40:39 pm
Rubi, I made a point to say that my post wasn't actually about Clary and it wasn't.  In another thread it was mentioned that Clary "fits" better with our offensive philosophy of quicker more flexible O'Linemen than the "road graders" sitting on the bench.
My response is that if we want to run an offense that requires pulling and such then why when we get down inside the 5 yard line do we call plays that require "road grader" type blocking?

I am generally sick of hearing how it's the players, I have been hearing that for going on 5 years now. When exactly does the coaching staff have any responsibility in this whole process? I constantly read on this very board that "Stars Matter" but then with our O'Line it is "play the best and to heck with stars"!

Did we and the recruiting services actually miss out on all 5 of our 4* O'Linemen as well as missing out on our 2 former walk-ons/ blueshirt?? 0-6?????

I want to know why we aren't see the traps and pulling lineman as much as we use too.  Those plays seemed to work well for us with Williams and collins.

As I type this, Swanson just pulled and made a nice pulling run block for the Lions.

HoopS

I love the expert takes from people who couldn't break down a game film if they had to and don't see the team practice.

Never stop, Hogville.

I love you.

Letsroll1200

hawgfan4life

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 18, 2017, 12:42:24 pm
I'm trying to connect the dots here.

My theory is this. We have a NFL guy as our offensive line coach, and he has installed a fairly complex system of calls and assignments. That position group doesn't exist in isolation; they are hand-in-hand with what Enos wants to run, which I think is also pretty complex. The end result is that we have a complex offensive system with a limited amount of practice time in which to get reps. That results in less experienced and physically gifted players getting the nod over veterans, who for whatever reason can't or won't learn the calls and assignments. Even some of the starters aren't completely solid on it, which is why we look slow off the football.

Were I the A&M DC, I would do just what TCU and FAMU did; stack the box and bring pressure from everywhere, counting on our o-line to not be in sync and our QB still not trusting his receivers, who struggle to get separation, enough in the heat of a game to throw them open.

You might be spot on correct Wilson, but even if all of that is correct, it is Bulls&$t excuses.  BB has been here longer than Enos and has had time to have HIS system installed.  if he wanted to change when Enos came, he has still had time to have players and that system installed.  If Anderson's and Enos's systems are so complex that players can't get it, refuse to try because it is too frustrating, or they play slow because of it, then the coach's system is the problem and they should have simplified it to the ability of the players to give them a chance to be successful.

presidenthog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 18, 2017, 10:34:29 am
Stewart is still the kick returner.. is his longest return 20 yards?.. and any clean shot on him and he fumbles.. I wish they would give someone else a chance, we've seen Dion for over  a year and I can't remember any decent returns...

Stewart is the worst KOR guy in the league. Warren looked much faster and is built better than Stewart. I personally do not want Stewart starting at any position. I do not see why this staff is so high on the kid.

TebowHater

Quote from: presidenthog on September 18, 2017, 08:24:36 pm
Stewart is the worst KOR guy in the league. Warren looked much faster and is built better than Stewart. I personally do not want Stewart starting at any position. I do not see why this staff is so high on the kid.

Don't want to be seen as bashing any player, but I too have been a bit perplexed about the endless opportunities for him. What has he literally ever shown? Like has he ever made a play? First game TJ got the ball last year he immediately made plays. Same with Hayden in first game as a hog. Just wondering why the hype for him.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 18, 2017, 04:19:14 pm
people who aren't blinded by such an agenda notice that Wallace had high star rankings, but as of right now we have had two games where Clary performed. 

If Clary was failing to perform everyone would have something to talk on, but right now, Left guard, center, and right guard are performing their job at a high clip. 

You are being ridiculous if you are just looking for something to cry about with the performance of this team lacking in the first two games and have to reach to a part of the team that hasn't been a problem.  Which is exactly too many are doing. 

Just because an OL goes to his correct assignment and grades out with perfect technique, assignment, and effort does not mean that he "BEAT" his man.  The defender may have executed perfect technique, assignment, and effort and blown the OL up to the point that spot as a run option is eliminated.  That is exactly what happened on a lot of the run plays.  The young OL has potential and may be great in the future, but he is not physically as ready as others that are on the bench right now.  Why they are not playing is anyone's guess, but there is far more to the answer than he is the best option. 

ricepig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 18, 2017, 05:19:01 pm
Just go and rewatch the Florida game on youtube. Watch Gibson at guard and Wallace at tackle.

Watch them against Mizzou and VT........

hawgfan4life

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 18, 2017, 03:43:13 pm

Is getting pushed around because you aren't big enough worse than completely whiffing, because you don't know your assignments? Let's think about that one for a while.

I thought about it and the players that were recruited to your system a few years ago and spent a lot of time being coached up and physically developed should be ready.  If four of those potentially better options don't know the assignments, whose job is it to make sure they know the assignments?  There is the problem and the answer.  The problem is coaching and the answer is the potentially better players should be coached up to not be blowing assignments.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on September 18, 2017, 08:24:36 pm

CBB said in his presser that Stewart is not likely to be the KOR guy.

presidenthog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on September 18, 2017, 08:33:58 pm
Just because an OL goes to his correct assignment and grades out with perfect technique, assignment, and effort does not mean that he "BEAT" his man.  The defender may have executed perfect technique, assignment, and effort and blown the OL up to the point that spot as a run option is eliminated.  That is exactly what happened on a lot of the run plays.  The young OL has potential and may be great in the future, but he is not physically as ready as others that are on the bench right now.  Why they are not playing is anyone's guess, but there is far more to the answer than he is the best option.

I think it has more to Wallace not getting it mentally, but he is a better tackle than Gibson. I think athletically clary might be better than Gibson and he gets it mentally. So they may see clary as the better guard, but won't start Wallace over Gibson even though he is the better tackle because of mental errors. Noe he is getting less reps at The 2s to iron his mistakes out so his growth will be slowed.

Our coaching staff is poor at roster management.

PorkSoda

Quote from: presidenthog on September 18, 2017, 08:41:56 pm
unfortunately this is becoming more clear each game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

presidenthog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 08:40:48 pm
CBB said in his presser that Stewart is not likely to be the KOR guy.

Thank you. I'm at work and plan to watch all 3 when I get off tonight.

It is obvious Stewart is too small and is running scared. He is also too small to be an outside receiver and gets mugged coming off the line and gives up on plays. He needs to be with the 2s at wr, along with pettway, and nance should be the starter.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 10:23:25 am
Agreed. You have Merrick, Wallace, Raulerson, and even the 3 freshmen that came in during the spring. You telling me a 6'3" 280lb true freshman is really the best option we have? Not buying it.

It's weird the Clary thing. Much like Froholdt last year..How can anybody not at least try someone else? He wasn't ready to play for the oline.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: presidenthog on September 18, 2017, 08:41:56 pm
I think it has more to Wallace not getting it mentally, but he is a better tackle than Gibson. I think athletically clary might be better than Gibson and he gets it mentally. So they may see clary as the better guard, but won't start Wallace over Gibson even though he is the better tackle because of mental errors. Noe he is getting less reps at The 2s to iron his mistakes out so his growth will be slowed.

Wow, what else are you seeing at practice that we don't know about?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PorkRinds

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on September 18, 2017, 08:47:45 pm
It's weird the Clary thing. Much like Froholdt last year..How can anybody not at least try someone else? He wasn't ready to play for the oline.

Show some video from the game that supports this assertion.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 18, 2017, 10:25:49 am
It's almost as if the coaches know the team and players better than the posters here know the team and players...

No, that can't be right. This forum is filled with college football experts.
Well, it is possible this forum is filled with experts.  Unlikely, but possible.

We have already determined the coaching staff is not filled with experts.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 05:07:57 pm
Coach B seemed like Stewart wouldn't be returning kicks in his presser. Mentioned Warren and Cross.

I think that's a good thing but I have to question why it would take so long.. He was not good at all last year and had already fumbled twice... not until he fumbles a 3rd time do they feel the need to try someone else.. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 18, 2017, 07:04:19 pm
My only evidence that our O'Line situation is not good would be 2 different series of 1st and goal from inside the 5 yard line and 2 missed field goals as a result. How much more evidence than that do you need to convince you???

No knock on Clary, but the simple fact is that Anderson told him that we only had 1 scholarship left for the O'Line and that was for a tackle. He told him that as a guard he would be one of his first offers. But, again his only actual scholarship offer was Tulsa. And truthfully this isn't about Clary!

This is about moving a former walkon guard out to replace a returning starter at tackle and replacing him with a true freshman walkon/blue shirt. If Gibson were the better tackle why didn't he play there last year?

Some mention Burlsworth, well as I recall Burls did NOT start as a true freshman, he did not start as a redshirt freshman, nor did he start as a redshirt sophomore. I believe that Burls started as a redshirt junior. The key word in all of that was REDSHIRT!!! Bursl made all-american as a redshirt 5th year senior. When I think of Clary I wonder just how good he might have been as a redshirt 5th year senior.

IF we have a blocking system so complicated that kids struggle to learn it, maybe the system is the real problem???  We have struggled ever since Anderson darkened our door and he is just a symptom of the problem. Look at what K Smart did when he took over at Georgia, he looked around and chose the BEST O'Line coach that he could find and went and took him. He didn't sit around for a month a leaf thru applications from guys looking to upgrade their own position.

Has there been one job opening here that BB went out and took one of the top 5 guys in the country? And don't you dare try to tell me that an assistant w
Quote from: onebadrubi on September 18, 2017, 07:29:59 pm
The first time inside the 5 was a 6 yard run on first down to set it up by DW, second down he got stuffed, third down was an incomplete pass.  The second time we got down there it was a nice run of 13 yards to get it down to the three yard line by DW, then a stuffed run right after that, then an incomplete pass. 

We are predictable on that play calling right there.  Neither time did Clary fail to do his job however. 

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting some games like Mizzou where AA was getting bum rushed from both tackle positions.  I'm tired of arguing this with fools who are dense and only pushing a narrative.  It's amazing how many peoples thoughts on this line up with their views of the staff inside of having an independent thought or intellectual thought.  (this last comment/paragraph is not pointed to the poster I quoted)

I can't tell you which play and series in the red zone, but one of those run plays Clary got blown up by his man.  He managed to stay in the players way and he didn't make the tackle, but he was getting shoved backward pretty badly.  That is an indicator of other problems in the run game.  For one, he is not going to leg drive DT out of the LOS and create a running bubble.  Secondly, he is going to eliminate cut back options because the RB will have to run around the inverted bubble caused by the DL shoving him backward.  Thirdly, it affects play calling because the OC will know he has to call plays that account for both of these possibilities.  In all three of those negatives, Clary can be playing with sound technique, attacking the correct defender, and be grading out with all pluses to include effort.  Sometimes you just need to be able to move the LOS and he isn't going to to that against any of the teams on our conference schedule this year if he couldn't do it against TCU.  All this talk of pulling guards and flexible OL is great talk, but when the ball is third or fourth and short or near the goalline, pulling OL is generally not an option because the defense loads up the LOS and it becomes man on man. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 18, 2017, 08:55:41 pm
I think that's a good thing but I have to question why it would take so long.. He was not good at all last year and had already fumbled twice... not until he fumbles a 3rd time do they feel the need to try someone else..

Well, when your first complaint is that he's still there, him being replaced should be encouraging. Instead it's yet another reason to complain about something else.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 09:01:19 pm
Well, when your first complaint is that he's still there, him being replaced should be encouraging. Instead it's yet another reason to complain about something else.

come on man.. just trying to get some understanding.. don't be so defensive...

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 18, 2017, 09:04:09 pm
come on man.. just trying to get some understanding.. don't be so defensive...

He's the fastest guy on the team, or one of them. They wanted to give him a chance to catch lightning in a bottle. Not hard to understand.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:06:32 pm
PorkRinds would defend CBB if the Hogs lost 42-0 Saturday.

And you'd cry like a baby if they won 42-0.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:06:32 pm
PorkRinds would defend CBB if the Hogs lost 42-0 Saturday.

Don't think I've been attacking... just a question about what makes them change now and not give someone else a chance a little sooner.... maybe he does it in practice maybe they just want his speed on the field.. maybe he is just a good kid and they want to reward him.. I don't know.. it's why I was asking.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 09:07:30 pm
He's the fastest guy on the team, or one of them. They wanted to give him a chance to catch lightning in a bottle. Not hard to understand.

OK dude, sorry for asking...

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 09:07:30 pm

Have you not been paying attention ?   It's star rating and years of experience were looking for, runnng fast is overrated .
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:05:28 pm
Well playing Cantrell over O'Grady and Patton is laughable. I thought that was a given in my statement.

At WR, Stewart, Pettway, and Nance are current the top guys. None of them offer upside or big play threat. Nance has good size but that's about it. Meanwhile Hammonds, Jones, and Barnes hardly see any snaps or plays to get them the ball. They certainly have much more playmaking upside than the previous three. And obviously inexperience can't be an excuse seeing as how Clary is starting at RG.

And we'll see who's returning kicks and punts. I'm not hopeful.

O'Grady and Cantrell are not the same type player.  Cantrell is going to be in as a 6th down lineman/block TE.  O'grady isn't really a TE with his hand on the ground in our O.  So I don't really call it him playing over Cantrell.  O grady in an spread type would be out on the numbers spread out.  Patton and him are basically fighting each other for snaps and Will Gragg appears to be fighting for some of those now with his praise from Brett. 

Jones has dropped some balls that I have seen at WR, so not really sure why he should be put in front of anyone YET.  Pettway has not stepped it up which is sad because I really expected a lot out of him.  I think Nance HAS shown up and been better than what we have so far.  I like him, cornelius, and leaving the other spot open for hopefully a health Martin to show his recruiting tape.  For all the bodies we have at the WR position, nobody wants to step up. 

PorkRinds

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:17:16 pm
No, I'd be ecstatic.................then I'd wake up.

I have no idea why it is so hard for you to come to the realization that the coaches might actually be getting things wrong. If you would actually look at the games and take off the homer glasses, you might gain a bit of understanding of why so many fans are frustrated.

Evidently you only read about half of what I say. I've been critical of CBB plenty lately.  I just don't suffer foolishness very well and you seem to deal up a lot of it.

WilsonHog

I make a couple of assumptions when looking over a depth chart:

(1) coaches (especially those with incomes of six to eight figures) are predisposed to play those kids who give them the best chance of winning, thereby continuing their income stream; and,

(2) said coaches have much more information at hand upon which to base depth chart decisions than I do.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 09:19:02 pm
Ok dude, sorry for answering...

Not sure hoping to catch lightning in a bottle is a good strategy... also just because your fast does not make you good or worthy.. maybe we should start all our fastest and hope they catch lightning in a bottle...

PorkRinds

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 18, 2017, 09:21:25 pm

(1) coaches (especially those with incomes of six to eight figures) are predisposed to play those kids who give them the best chance of winning, thereby continuing their income stream; and,

(2) said coaches have much more information at hand upon which to base depth chart decisions than I do.

Now if we could convince everyone to operate from that assumption we'd be in good shape!

onebadrubi

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 18, 2017, 09:21:25 pm

WHose making 8 figures?

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:28:54 pm
I think you don't suffer differing opinions very well because you offer no comprehensive rebuttal. It's just "show me a video" instead of actually discussing what's happening on the field.

I want CBB to win and succeed just as you and every other Hog fan should. But this is year 5. I'm done giving the benefit of the doubt as to these questionable (at best) roster decisions. If the wins come, the benefit of the doubt will return.

Yeah, asking someone to prove their assertions is terrible of me. I just just mouth off and shoot from the hip while saying stuff that makes little sense.  Why make a comprehensive response to complete nonsense?

presidenthog

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:31:10 pm
Bielema's buyout.

Got to fire him first to activate that.  I don't see that happening this calender year.

WilsonHog

Seven figures, same concept. Coaches have this thing about trying to play those kids who can most help them win.

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in the barbershop one day. A young man who had graduated high school the year before was talking about his high school coach. "He never would play me! I was the best defensive lineman he had!" Yeah, let's see here: that coach has won about 150 games and a state title, he sees you in practice and on film every week, and somehow he has missed out on the fact that his best defensive tackle is standing over on the sidelines with him. Yeah, sure, that sounds about right.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 09:39:38 pm
What proof do you have that the coaches are getting things right? The last 3 P5 games give rise to something being wrong from a coaching standpoint. So does a 56-3 loss to Auburn.

If you believe the coaches are making all the right decisions then say that and give some thought why. Maybe actually something other than "He's the coach and you aren't."

No one on this board has to be a coach to see something is wrong with the team and some of the roster decisions are suspect.

Let me be clear about it. I think there are legitimate questions about what Bielema is doing and mistakes he's making.  It's obviously not working as well as we'd like. I just think some of the criticisms are nonsense. Playing favorites, Allen brothers conspiracy, coaches are lazy, fat Ber.t etc. are crazy talk.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 07:27:03 am
I don't think it's necessarily playing favorites as it is rewarding the "uncommon" guys. What I mean by that is the guys that give 110% in practice, nod their head to everything the coaches tell them, keep their GPA up, and cause no trouble.

While I would personally love for that to translate into the most talented players playing, it doesn't. Example......I keep hearing this issue of "trust" with TJ Hammonds. I assume TJ isn't practicing as well as CBB would like. Maybe he has less effort than guys like Stewart and Pettway. I don't know. But none of those guys have the talent or skill set TJ has. There may be only one player like TJ Hammonds on the roster.......himself.

I liken him to Joe Adams. We all saw how much of a difference Adams made for those Hog teams he played for. Can TJ make that kind of difference? Only one way to tell.

TJ may not be the type of player and personality CBB prefers, but their has to be a balance of taking what you see in practice and understanding who your studs are.

I understand what you're saying, but again, I don't think we know what the issue is with Hammonds so there's no reason to invent a reason and run with it. While you think it's because TJ doesn't playbtheir game I feel like it's probably performance related. And there's no where in the country that plays the guys that don't perform in practice just in case they are great in the game. For example, I see people complaining that Hammonds isn't returning kicks. Instead of assuming it's because CBB is playing favorites I realize that none of us have seen him try to return kicks. Maybe he doesn't catch them well. Maybe he's struggling to get touches with the WR group because his hands are a work in progress.  Again, we don't know. Instead of assuming the worst about the coaches I feel like there's usually a more realistic answer.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 18, 2017, 04:15:21 pm
Wallace is the highest rated offensive lineman on the roster AND was a solid starter last year. It's not just about recruiting rankings. Wallace took over RT quickly last year and never gave the spot up. If you seriously believe Clary is that big of a diamond in the rough, you'd probably let Bielema sell you ice if you lived in Antarctica.
Why so many conspiracy theorists on here? Wallace was a 5*! Start him for that alone? You didn't play college football did you? There's this thing called practice where you earn your spot. Clary won the spot! I'm sorry if you feel pride if Arkansas puts a 4* and 5* on the starting roster! They play the best player! Just because a kid was a 5* doesn't mean he is woth a sh--! Google Dwayne Spann or ask Mike Irwin about the #1 center recruit in the country! Thank God Coach Hatfield didn't have your mentality and kept his ass on the bench! Just because a car says Ferrari on the hood doesn't guarantee the engine is Ferrari! You NEVER know until they get on campus.

Been10Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 04:20:10 pm
The coaches are incompetent at developing and motivating players to be their best. Why else is a 6'6" 335lb RT with starting experience in the SEC on the bench over a true freshman walkon who just got here a few weeks ago?
Ready for it..........the walkon beat him out!!!! Or do you have a conspiracy idea?

al_pigcino

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 08:13:28 am
Why so many conspiracy theorists on here? Wallace was a 5*! Start him for that alone? You didn't play college football did you? There's this thing called practice where you earn your spot. Clary won the spot! I'm sorry if you feel pride if Arkansas puts a 4* and 5* on the starting roster! They play the best player! Just because a kid was a 5* doesn't mean he is woth a sh--! Google Dwayne Spann or ask Mike Irwin about the #1 center recruit in the country! Thank God Coach Hatfield didn't have your mentality and kept his ass on the bench! Just because a car says Ferrari on the hood doesn't guarantee the engine is Ferrari! You NEVER know until they get on campus.
I think CBB has built his career on the interior linemen.  For all intensive purposes, our GCG combo seems to be decent.  Now is it that Clary is decent or that Ragnow is offsetting the load for him?  That's yet to be seen.  I'm not convinced that some of the issues happened at Wisconsin.  Is it possible he couldn't develop tackles there?  In the SEC tackles that aren't good get put in the limelight.  For the most part DE's in this league could be argued as the most athletic position.  At the B1G side you don't "seem" to see the 6'5 280lb guys running a 4.5 as often.  Again, a lot of that could just be perception (or bias?). 

The question now comes to this:  Matt Jones was known for slacking at practice.  Would CBB bench Matt Jones due to work ethic? 

Been10Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 18, 2017, 10:00:16 pm
Seven figures, same concept. Coaches have this thing about trying to play those kids who can most help them win.

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in the barbershop one day. A young man who had graduated high school the year before was talking about his high school coach. "He never would play me! I was the best defensive lineman he had!" Yeah, let's see here: that coach has won about 150 games and a state title, he sees you in practice and on film every week, and somehow he has missed out on the fact that his best defensive tackle is standing over on the sidelines with him. Yeah, sure, that sounds about right.
Wilson, sounds like what happened to me!! I was a 170# walkon DB for Coach Hatfield, and due to booster pressure he chose to start Steve Atwater in front of me.....

IronHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 07:27:03 am
I don't think it's necessarily playing favorites as it is rewarding the "uncommon" guys. What I mean by that is the guys that give 110% in practice, nod their head to everything the coaches tell them, keep their GPA up, and cause no trouble.

While I would personally love for that to translate into the most talented players playing, it doesn't. Example......I keep hearing this issue of "trust" with TJ Hammonds. I assume TJ isn't practicing as well as CBB would like. Maybe he has less effort than guys like Stewart and Pettway. I don't know. But none of those guys have the talent or skill set TJ has. There may be only one player like TJ Hammonds on the roster.......himself.

I liken him to Joe Adams. We all saw how much of a difference Adams made for those Hog teams he played for. Can TJ make that kind of difference? Only one way to tell.

TJ may not be the type of player and personality CBB prefers, but there has to be a balance of taking what you see in practice and understanding who your studs are.

I think this is right and it is why BB fails.

I doubt McFadden would have played for BB.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 07:34:10 am
I understand what you're saying, but again, I don't think we know what the issue is with Hammonds so there's no reason to invent a reason and run with it. While you think it's because TJ doesn't playbtheir game I feel like it's probably performance related. And there's no where in the country that plays the guys that don't perform in practice just in case they are great in the game. For example, I see people complaining that Hammonds isn't returning kicks. Instead of assuming it's because CBB is playing favorites I realize that none of us have seen him try to return kicks. Maybe he doesn't catch them well. Maybe he's struggling to get touches with the WR group because his hands are a work in progress.  Again, we don't know. Instead of assuming the worst about the coaches I feel like there's usually a more realistic answer.

Every question or statement is not a conspiracy theory or a slam at the staff .. sometimes people want to engage and discuss thoughts and sometimes those thoughts don't align with our thoughts.. it doesn't mean everybody is hater, idiot or trying to tear down the team...

WilsonHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 08:46:31 am

I think this is right and it is why BB fails.

I doubt McFadden would have played for BB.

He most certainly would have walked many a practice field lap carrying a mattress over his head.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 09:08:32 am
He most certainly would have walked many a practice field lap carrying a mattress over his head.

with his couple of problems, and practice habits, not sure he would have played much... probably would have heard, we've got to find a way to get him the ball....

PorkRinds

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 19, 2017, 08:24:37 am
I think CBB has built his career on the interior linemen.  For all intensive purposes, our GCG combo seems to be decent.  Now is it that Clary is decent or that Ragnow is offsetting the load for him?  That's yet to be seen.  I'm not convinced that some of the issues happened at Wisconsin.  Is it possible he couldn't develop tackles there?  In the SEC tackles that aren't good get put in the limelight.  For the most part DE's in this league could be argued as the most athletic position.  At the B1G side you don't "seem" to see the 6'5 280lb guys running a 4.5 as often.  Again, a lot of that could just be perception (or bias?). 

The question now comes to this:  Matt Jones was known for slacking at practice.  Would CBB bench Matt Jones due to work ethic?

Here's another question. How good could matt jones have been if someone had been there to hold him accountable for his work ethic?

IronHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 09:08:32 am

Favorites get to carry Matresses

I figure McFadden would ended up like Korless Marshall
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HoopS

Sometimes a player is rated wrong out of high school.

Sometimes the rating is right, but that players just fails to adjust.

Maybe the scheme is wrong for him.

Maybe he just doesn't have the fight he needs.

Maybe somebody else blooms late and is so hungry.

So many possibilities.

But to call a coach incompetent when you truly have no idea what all that coach has done and said is ignorant and unfair. And you dang well better know your stuff yourself if you're going to use such damning language.

Why isn't Hammonds returning kicks? I mean maybe because he just got well not long ago and returning kicks can be brutal? Maybe he's mishandling kicks? Maybe he's misreading cuts? Maybe he fumbles too often? Maybe he doesn't even want to be a return man? Or maybe they just trust the other guy a little more.

These coaches are paid well to make these decisions. Sometimes we disagree and maybe with good reason. But sometimes we don't have enough info.

At the end of the day, if they make too many mistakes and don't get results, changes will be made.