Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gonna be interesting to see

Started by lumphog, December 10, 2017, 08:55:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on December 10, 2017, 09:41:58 am
I'm more interested in what happens with Merrick, Wallace, and the other 4* recruits that had difficulty getting on the field over freshman walkons. That will tell more about the previous staff than anything.
I think we all will be looking to see this.

PigPusher

Each of the players both existing and incoming will be evaluated and thoroughly vetted and then utilized in the effective manner.  This approach is very obvious.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

FrJoseph

Quote from: colbs on December 10, 2017, 10:47:42 pm
Why move one of the top returning OL to DL?  Also, the OL depth isn't great.

Because he was consistently getting beat last year? He is a D-lineman. If he wants a chance to play in the NFL, that where it will be. What will be easier, move him back to DL, where he was when he was a top prospect, and where AR is habitually thin, or transform his body like the NFL did Collins so he has his quickness and explosion back
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

FrJoseph

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 10, 2017, 10:22:25 pm
At this point that would be almost criminal.

Not at all. I suspect he would welcome it. Give him at least a chance  to
Play in the NFL.
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

GuvHog

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 11, 2017, 08:18:03 am
Play in the NFL.

I disagree. One doesn't move the second best O Lineman on the team to the D Line. That's just plain silly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on December 10, 2017, 08:35:23 pm
I think about right now, Chad is thinking.  What the hell did I do.  SMU is not on the same level as Arkansas but it will be much easier to win at SMU than Arkansas in the overall.

As to the player talent we have.  I believe practice will be a planned event with all players on the team getting involved and worked, conditioned, trained, and urged to reach their potential.  I bet we see folks thats never seen the field before making contributions.  Overall speed will return to these players in the overall.  Team weight will likely go down about 1000 pounds.  During games, there will be coaching and teaching.  We will have a Special Teams Group that will be special.  I think our defense will be the group that surprises.  It still won't be good but so much better than recent.  Gang tackling, tight coverage, hard hitting, 4 quarters of hard play, blitzing often, and a 2 deep that at least knows what they are going to try to do, even if they aren't good at doing it.
I suggest the QB position may be the most difficult to fill.  We have seen how difficult it is to win with the Gus offense without a very solid QB.  Learning the reads and moving at breakneck speed is not an easy task and most QBs cannot do that.  I don't believe Cole will be the starter and I don't know about Ty.  Ty should still have it all as Bret and Co never used any of it up.

Don't underestimate Cole Kelly. That would be a hug mistake.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

oldrazorband

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 08:36:16 am

Most of the Senate is resigning over hug mistakes!

colbs

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 11, 2017, 08:16:58 am
Because he was consistently getting beat last year? He is a D-lineman. If he wants a chance to play in the NFL, that where it will be. What will be easier, move him back to DL, where he was when he was a top prospect, and where AR is habitually thin, or transform his body like the NFL did Collins so he has his quickness and explosion back
This is not true.  He graded out as one of the best guards in the SEC.

hogsanity

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 10, 2017, 09:58:10 am
Lol he's a highly regarded guard. That's his position.

Not sure how it ended up but last season through October he was grading out as the best guard in the sec according to nfl scouts from one report I read. I'd be shocked if he moved. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Peter Porker

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 08:36:16 am

Or Cole Kelley, the redshirt freshman QB for Arkansas.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PorkRinds

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 10, 2017, 10:18:33 pm
Move him back to DL I suspect; where he should be.

Fr Joe

Not a single chance in heck he moves back. He will be one of the top rated OL in the sec next year.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 09:19:55 am
Not a single chance in heck he moves back. He will be one of the top rated OL in the sec next year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jjdlc on December 10, 2017, 09:44:22 am
This, he should be a tremendous asset on next year's line.
He can only get better, I'll grant you that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 11, 2017, 09:21:14 am
He can only get better, I'll grant you that.

He was one of the highest rated in the sec last season. Graded out at like 85%. Not sure what you're trying to say.

HF#1

I sure gave Frojoldt a hard time when he was getting his arse kicked on a consistent basis but he did develop into a good player. Should be a solid consistent force for us next season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 09:23:19 am
He was one of the highest rated in the sec last season. Graded out at like 85%. Not sure what you're trying to say.

Some fans latched onto Froholdt as the sole reason for the Ol problems because they insist he did not earn his spot. Once again proving Clay Travis underestimated the stupid in our fan base.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

colbs

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 09:23:19 am
I think some are getting 2016 and 2017 mixed up.  It kind of reminds me of BA.  Some fans think he isn't a good QB because of his first two years even though he is on an NFL roster.

HF#1

What I will be interested in seeing is what players that Bielema left on the bench will Morris play? I have a feeling there will be a few.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

porque

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 11, 2017, 08:18:03 am
Play in the NFL.

He will be playing in the NFL next year as an OL.  You do realize he graded out as the number 2 guard in all of the SEC?

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on December 11, 2017, 09:26:30 am
I think some are getting 2016 and 2017 mixed up.  It kind of reminds me of BA.  Some fans think he isn't a good QB because of his first two years even though he is on an NFL roster.

Apparently you missed the entire month of October where there were multiple threads bashing Froholdt as terrible and only playing because BB plays favorites. Yea, terrible idea playing a future NFl draft pick.

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 09:26:51 am
What I will be interested in seeing is what players that Bielema left on the bench will Morris play? I have a feeling there will be a few.

Left on the bench or just did not play as much or touch the ball as much as you think they should have? It is a given some guys on the bench will play this season due to people in front of them leaving or graduating.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 10, 2017, 09:43:04 am
Have people actually looked at our depth on the OL?  We don't have the bodies to be moving people out of that group.

We have 20 offensive Linemen on the roster, two of which are seniors almost half of them are freshmen, and we currently have four committed in this class.  I don't want Froholdt to move, but it doesn't look to me like we are low on depth on the OL. 

FrJoseph

Quote from: colbs on December 11, 2017, 09:26:30 am

Just going by the eye test. I am in Italy, so I'm just watching on TV obviously. The Oline was one of the worst i have ever seen (qualify that by the fact that i player at Fordham, which is hardly the SEC LOL)

Skipper, Kirkland and Tretolla all graded out well. I don't follow the NFL closely, but I don't believe any are doing very well. I don't know if the last one is till in a roster or not.

Fr Joe

hogsanity

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 11, 2017, 11:43:11 am
Just going by the eye test. I am in Italy, so I'm just watching on TV obviously. The Oline was one of the worst i have ever seen (qualify that by the fact that i player at Fordham, which is hardly the SEC LOL)

Skipper, Kirkland and Tretolla all graded out well. I don't follow the NFL closely, but I don't believe any are doing very well. I don't know if the last one is till in a roster or not.

Fr Joe

Kirkland started some games for the Raiders in 2016. He was put on IR this September. Skipper has been on and off the main roster for the Lions this year. Tretola was playing for the Texans until he was involved in a shooting incident. Not sure what he is doing this season.

Froholdt graded out well and is considered a NFL draft prospect in 2019. Grading out well is not a guarantee of NFL success but it does mean that NFL scouts like what he is doing on the field.

This thought that he is some horrible OL player that only starts because he was a BB favorite is just not true at all.

cardinalandwhite

From listening to CCM, it sounds like he's going to favor a defensive front that is able to disrupt and pressure by rushing four (much like Venables at Clemson). Frodholt, while a force at times on the defensive line, never provided much penetration and disruption. On the offensive line, however, he can destroy a man. Which fits him better?
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous