Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Officiating Question

Started by b_stackhouse, October 20, 2017, 08:36:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

b_stackhouse

I don't know if this is the right spot for this or not (if not, feel free to move it)

This is in regards to the Thursday Night Football game and the way the penalties were administered after Lynch left the bench.

I have seen it happen, if a player picks up the a 1st down, then the offense does something after the play that results in a personal foul, the 15 yards are marked off, but it's still 1st and 10. I have asked about this and it has been explained that a new line of scrimmage hasn't officially been established (or something similar). It doesn't make sense to me, but I have come to accept it.

Last night, the Chiefs committed an unnecessary roughness penalty that gave the Raiders a 1st down, then the scuffle broke out, Lynch left the bench, pushed an official, and was ejected. The officials enforced both penalties. The one on the Chiefs gave the Raiders an automatic first down, then they penalized the Raiders 15 yards and it was 1st and 25. How does this differ from the above scenario?

Anyone got any suggestions?