Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema changing plays called by Enos?

Started by HognotinMemphis, October 20, 2017, 08:04:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Has this ever surfaced? I was told yesterday that Bielema regularly changes plays that are called by Enos. I was also told that Allen and Bielema's relationship not so great. Any truth to either? Has anyone else heard anything similar?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DEVIL DOG HOG

It would seem to me that Bret has the final say in what kind of offense and defense we run.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Ex-Trumpet

Can't be.  Most on here say that CBB is completely uninvolved with what happens during a game.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 20, 2017, 08:44:22 am
Can't be.  Most on here say that CBB is completely uninvolved with what happens during a game.

Either way it is NOT WORKING!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jcbville

CBB doesn't call plays. He allows Enos to call as he sees fit 99% of the time. He allows all of them what many consider too much freedom. This is why in interviews he hasnt been aware of player rotations etc when asked until asked about it.

Tick Hog

Quote from: jcbville on October 20, 2017, 08:45:09 am
CBB doesn't call plays. He allows Enos to call as he sees fit 99% of the time. He allows all of them what many consider too much freedom. This is why in interviews he hasnt been aware of player rotations etc when asked until asked about it.
2 sides to every story. You can go listen to Enos's PC this week and when asked about the hurry up style he says that coach BB dictates all of that as HE gets a feel for the game.

LA Football fan

BIG difference in deciding when to run up tempo and changing play calls. 

buldozer

If he does call plays, he needs to stop..... and if he doesn't perhaps he should start. Because so far this season the results suck!

jst01

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 20, 2017, 08:53:08 am
2 sides to every story. You can go listen to Enos’s PC this week and when asked about the hurry up style he says that coach BB dictates all of that as HE gets a feel for the game.

I heard this too. What got my attention was that Enos said if things aren't going great and they need a "jump start", BB might go to the hurry up; however, if things are working OK then BB may not use the hurry up.   

Tick Hog

Quote from: LA Football fan on October 20, 2017, 08:56:16 am
BIG difference in deciding when to run up tempo and changing play calls. 
I can agree with that. It really doesn't matter to me either way it's not working. It's evident we're not going to out scheme anybody

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on October 20, 2017, 08:32:23 am
It would seem to me that Bret has the final say in what kind of offense and defense we run.
If I understood correctly, it's not a general thing. It's in game, play is called and Bret overrules.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 20, 2017, 09:01:36 am
If I understood correctly, it's not a general thing. It's in game, play is called and Bret overrules.

Where did you hear this?

jst01

I picture every red zone play BB chiming in thru the headset "cancel that, lets run the Tretola wild-cat pass.."  and Enos and everyone with a headset rolling their eyes mumbling "FML...."

oldhog63

Quote from: jst01 on October 20, 2017, 09:09:52 am
I picture every red zone play BB chiming in thru the headset "cancel that, lets run the Tretola wild-cat pass.."  and Enos and everyone with a headset rolling their eyes mumbling "FML...."
I think it is more like "lets go jumbo package with one inch line splits and try to run it up the middle".

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 20, 2017, 08:04:22 am
I was also told that Allen and Bielema's relationship not so great. Any truth to either?

AA is definitely different from Brandon. I could see where BB's schtick has gotten old for him.  "I swear to God Austin this OL will protect.  Kurt Anderson is coaching them up and knows what he is doing" 

Then there's just ticky tack BS.  Example AA had story and video package about him going to see his old kindergarten teacher.  BB retweeted it and was positive but added a remark about Austin wearing his cap backward.  Little sh** like that would bother me.  I mean just stop at the positive part publicly.  Then next time you see the kid say "Austin, next time maybe don't wear your cap backward, or don't wear it at all just comes off better"
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

jgphillips3

Player rotation comes from position coaches as much as Enos, especially on the line.  I've always gotten the impression that CBB isn't, and doesn't let Enos be, tight fisted enough with the position coaches.

RedyorNot

"Coach Bielema, as he gets a feel for the game and the flow of the game, makes suggestions on when we should do it and if we should do it," Enos explained. (Moving forward) "I think it will be a week-to-week thing and a game-to-game thing. Some games our rhythm is good when we're huddling and we don't need it. But if we're not moving the ball and we need to pick things up we're able to hop into it."

On shifting to the hurry up. CBB is the head coach, so yes he has input. 

ricepig

hassettsportsman

ricepig

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 20, 2017, 10:05:53 am
Rice..agreed!  Were you a Kappa Sig?

Nope, Phi Delt.....you realize I was answering for Delta, hiring and firing is above my pay grade, unlike most of HV, haha.

Cinco de Hogo

I only know what I can see with my eyes and I see BB way too and involved in the offense too the point CDE isn't even in the picture.  Wouldn't your play caller that's on the field be the one in the huddle when the offense comes to the sidelines?  I see lots of games where the camera focuses on the OC or DC regularly.  Seems with Arkansas it's mostly stays focused on BB.  Maybe because he's directing everything.

And we thought Petrino was a mirco-manager!

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 20, 2017, 10:15:18 am
I only know what I can see with my eyes and I see BB way too and involved in the offense too the point CDE isn't even in the picture.  Wouldn't your play caller that's on the field be the one in the huddle when the offense comes to the sidelines?  I see lots of games where the camera focuses on the OC or DC regularly.  Seems with Arkansas it's mostly stays focused on BB.  Maybe because he's directing everything.

Wait.......HV says he stands alone and looks disinterested, and you now are saying he is calling plays?? How about you use your tickets, bring some binoculars, and actually go to a game where you can watch Enos the whole game, he calls the plays, only one talking into his headset.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 20, 2017, 10:15:18 am

And we thought Petrino was a mirco-manager!

Wait. I thought the narrative was that he was aloof and disconnected in the side lines. Now he's hmdcuffing Enos?

tbhogfan

He needs to be involved heavily with the O-Line. 

Generally, there's not time to override gametime playcalling on a regular basis.   CBB probably has significant input to the gameplan, but not calls on the field.
Go Hogs!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I started to make a similar thread a couple hours ago but I wanted to see if anyone else was gonna go there 1st. In his most recent interview, Enos state dthat all plays go through bielema. He said they've had a hurry up no huddle system in place for a while but has to get the okay from bret to use it. In short, Bret controls what plays we run. It explains why there are games where our offense is clicking on all cylinders (A&M) and other games where they can seem to get anything going (TCU, South Carolina).

If Enos play calling is being filtered through bielema, I wonder if the same thing is happening with Rhoads. Could Bielema be limiting his ability to blitz and line up in different fronts?

To take things even further, we are seeing the same issues on defense right now that we saw under robb smith, so was bielema doing the same to his play calling ? We remember smith being blitz happy in his 1st season here (also his best defense) and seemed to go further in the opposite direction the longer he is here. Did Bielema use robb smith as a scape goat?

After you go through so many coordinators you have to step back and ask if the problem is them or is you
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Next1_04

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2017, 10:00:04 am
Fire them all!!!!

Someone get the bulldozers up there and turn that place into a parking lot!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 10:19:05 am
Wait. I thought the narrative was that he was aloof and disconnected in the side lines. Now he's hmdcuffing Enos?

I've never said any such thing, please respond to what the person you quote said and not some hyperbole you read elsewhere.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2017, 10:18:33 am
Wait.......HV says he stands alone and looks disinterested, and you now are saying he is calling plays?? How about you use your tickets, bring some binoculars, and actually go to a game where you can watch Enos the whole game, he calls the plays, only one talking into his headset.

You don't know this anymore than any other poster on this thread does.  You say things while at the same time ignoring anything that we do have proof of that doesn't support your narrative.  That's why in the long run almost anything you say turns out wrong.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Apparently Bielema has a history of micromanaging his coordinators. A story came out a while back about how Wisconsin was having trouble with production on offense. Their OC at the time (Matt Canada) went to bielemas office and told him that either bret was going to let him run the offense his way or he was leaving at the end of the season. I guess he got his wish because they put up 70 on Nebraska the next week.

(buckyville, Wisconsin fan board confirms all of this)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pig in the Pokey

You numbnuts defending bert the blob are comedy personified! It's a proven fact Bert does this. Same thing he did to Matt Canada. He finally "turned him loose" in the B1G Title game and they scored 70 points. Bert is probably the worst Head Coach in Hog history. Certainly since I've been a fan in the 80s. I'd take Jack Crow over Bert.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 20, 2017, 10:43:38 am
Apparently Bielema has a history of micromanaging his coordinators. A story came out a while back about how Wisconsin was having trouble with production on offense. Their OC at the time (Matt Canada) went to bielemas office and told him that either bret was going to let him run the offense his way or he was leaving at the end of the season. I guess he got his wish because they put up 70 on Nebraska the next week.

ding ding ding
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 20, 2017, 10:31:32 am
I started to make a similar thread a couple hours ago but I wanted to see if anyone else was gonna go there 1st. In his most recent interview, Enos state dthat all plays go through bielema. He said they've had a hurry up no huddle system in place for a while but has to get the okay from bret to use it. In short, Bret controls what plays we run. It explains why there are games where our offense is clicking on all cylinders (A&M) and other games where they can seem to get anything going (TCU, South Carolina).

If Enos play calling is being filtered through bielema, I wonder if the same thing is happening with Rhoads. Could Bielema be limiting his ability to blitz and line up in different fronts?

To take things even further, we are seeing the same issues on defense right now that we saw under robb smith, so was bielema doing the same to his play calling ? We remember smith being blitz happy in his 1st season here (also his best defense) and seemed to go further in the opposite direction the longer he is here. Did Bielema use robb smith as a scape goat?

After you go through so many coordinators you have to step back and ask if the problem is them or is you

That's not what he said. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I know its just a matter of time before the Beliemers show up and try to dismantly this thread, so heres a link to an article that backs up everything I just said along with quotes:

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-offense-was-power-struggle-for-matt-canada-bret/article_d7184300-5151-11e2-86ec-001a4bcf887a.html

"After 12 games as offensive coordinator for the University of Wisconsin football team, Matt Canada finally had enough.

Prior to the Big Ten Conference title game against Nebraska, Canada went in to talk to former UW coach Bret Bielema and at long last put his foot down. Sink or swim, it was time for Canada to do things his way.

Numerous UW sources said Canada's decision to stand up to Bielema was a significant factor in the offensive outburst that followed."

jcbville

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 20, 2017, 08:53:08 am
2 sides to every story. You can go listen to Enos's PC this week and when asked about the hurry up style he says that coach BB dictates all of that as HE gets a feel for the game.

Yes the tempo and some things lately because of the state of things he's getting active. But he doesn't call plays. That's a 100% certainty. I'm not going off interviews. I know it to be true. I used the CBB out of the loop as an example for everyone else.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 20, 2017, 10:41:25 am
You don't know this anymore than any other poster on this thread does.  You say things while at the same time ignoring anything that we do have proof of that doesn't support your narrative.  That's why in the long run almost anything you say turns out wrong.

He said Bielema tells him when to go "hurry up", I don't constitute that as calling plays, he also said Bielema tells him when he has two plays to make a short yardage, that they are going to go for it. Yeah, sounds like he's calling plays, lol. Does he hear every play called, yeah, that comes with the headset. Nick doesn't call plays either, but he hears all of the called plays.

jcbville

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 20, 2017, 09:47:52 am
Player rotation comes from position coaches as much as Enos, especially on the line.  I've always gotten the impression that CBB isn't, and doesn't let Enos be, tight fisted enough with the position coaches.

This. This is the breakdown. Not too much control.

DoctorSusscrofa

Let's just complain about it regardless. That's the point. We don't need to quibble over what details are present. We're unhappy, with the results regardless of who is calling what.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Athog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 20, 2017, 08:04:22 am
Has this ever surfaced? I was told yesterday that Bielema regularly changes plays that are called by Enos. I was also told that Allen and Bielema's relationship not so great. Any truth to either? Has anyone else heard anything similar?

No and no!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 20, 2017, 09:01:36 am

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 09:07:38 am
Where did you hear this?

Good question. Still waiting...
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggiedawg

Does it really matter?  CBB is a sub .500 coach (we won't even talk about SEC record) at Arkansas and anyone defending that is a CBB fan and not an Arkansas fan.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on October 20, 2017, 07:54:59 pm
Does it really matter?  CBB is a sub .500 coach (we won't even talk about SEC record) at Arkansas and anyone defending that is a CBB fan and not an Arkansas fan.

That's a different question than the one that is at hand, so yes, it does matter.
Go Hogs Go!

Like most of the posters in this thread, I am guessing, BUT, I suspect BB doesn't say much during the game.  His OCs know his preference and what he wants and likes.  I would guess the general game plan is talked over during the week.  BB usually stays out of time out huddles, often times looks totally disengaged from the team while on the sideline and appears at a loss for why he is even out there.

BB is the boss and if I work for him, I would try to do what he expects or at least what I believe he expects.  I watched Chaney try to OC for BB and he looks strained most of the time.  His mix of power run and heave the ball finally fell apart and most hogvillers ended up believing he was 90 percent dumbass.  He Wasn't.  That is where Enos is headed in the opinions of Arkansas fans.  We've nearly always operated a modified version of Power Run and throw and the down, distance, personnel, or flow of the game seemed to never matter. 

I don't believe BB is ever likely to appear to interfere with the play calling on O or D.  If you notice, he always leaves himself a way out.  If Word got out that he made demands and those demands failed, he would look bad and he has enough of that already.

Reminds me of dumb ass Gus last Saturday.  Allowed his OC to call a pitiful game for two thirds of the the LSU game and lose the game outright and he never stepped in then and even bragged on the OC in the PC.  Gus is becoming a poor excuse for a HC, and BB always has been a poor excuse for a HC.

Anyway, Sunshiners, BB does have control of the scheme of the game AS HE SHOULD, and he doesn't have to point to himself during the game to have that power.  In between games and out of the public eye, if he cannot see that what he is doing is not working, AS HE SHOULD, I don't know what to say.  Its on his 4 million dollar ass and he fails.

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 20, 2017, 07:57:02 pm
That's a different question than the one that is at hand, so yes, it does matter.

What matters are results.  If he changes plays or not don't really matter.  His results suck.

Arkansas Fan

Some of that 70 points were defensive scores.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 20, 2017, 08:20:32 pm
Some of that 70 points were defensive scores.
Yeah...we know that...Matt Canada also told the defensive coordinator to keep his lard azz out of the way.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on October 20, 2017, 08:03:57 pm
What matters are results.  If he changes plays or not don't really matter.  His results suck.

Yeah, I get it. But we are trying to stick to the topic rather than just going for the low hanging fruit and the overwhelming opinion that since he hasn't won, he sucks. That's the easy way.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 20, 2017, 08:41:00 pm
Yeah...we know that...Matt Canada also told the defensive coordinator to keep his lard azz out of the way.

Chris Ash and Charlie Partridge are lard asses?

Scott7703

I can't believe and egotistical micromanager would change plays or force a coordinator to "play his game". Say it isn't so. And some wonder why there is always staff turnover.

kaiserhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 20, 2017, 08:43:04 pm
Yeah, I get it. But we are trying to stick to the topic rather than just going for the low hanging fruit and the overwhelming opinion that since he hasn't won, he sucks. That's the easy way.
Stick to topic?  Can you not see the forest for the trees?