Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of Cautions on the Coaching Search Talk

Started by WilsonHog, October 18, 2017, 02:38:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redneckfriend

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 18, 2017, 02:38:47 pm

For a program like ours, it is just about the most exciting thing that happens.

Lol, Not many here admit it but the eternal soap opera quality of Arkansas football is the number one thing it has going for it. Forget playing for national championships like Alabama or settling in to eternal mediocrity like Kentucky or Vanderbilt or believing we are just one five star DE or running back away like Florida or Auburn, or wondering why, with all our great players, we aren't winning like LSU or Georgia. We are Arkansas, we may not have the talent or the recruiting base but- damn it we deserve to be at the table with the big boys so what do we do when we aren't- WE FIRE THE COACH (and the AD).

PorkSoda

October 19, 2017, 09:27:31 pm #101 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:27:43 pm by PorkSoda
The answer is so obvious, I'm not sure why no one has posted it yet.

Bobby Allen

he is the real power broker at the UofA.  CBB pulling AA could cost him his job in the end...

I'm assuming when Jeff Long is fired Bobby Allen will be the one officially taking over the reigns of the athletic dept.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 19, 2017, 09:27:31 pm
The answer is so obvious, I'm not sure why no one has posted it yet.

Bobby Allen

he is the real power broker at the UofA.  CBB pulling AA could cost him his job in the end...

I'm assuming when Jeff Long is fired Bobby Allen will be the one officially taking over the reigns of the athletic dept.

I think someone in Texas put a hex on his nuts after that Cotton Bowl whoopin his defense laid on em.
This is my non-signature signature.

goodguytex

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 19, 2017, 05:15:19 pm
My gut tells me that he has lost this team and he knows it. He could prolly stay but will choose to leave for carreer reasons.He can still do what Bobby did. Go out there and take a lesser college and flourish at which time his stock will rise again due to past credentials and could return to the limelight. Figure his agent to direct him to this. He'll be on some espn faction as announcer for a year then return.
I have had similar thoughts. However, bielema is a new father. He seems to be happy where he's at. Long has publicly anyway given every indication he fully supports bielema and he's standing by him. I look for bielema to force the administration to fire him if he goes anywhere. As long as JL is his boss, at least for this year and next year, I think bielema isn't going anywhere.

If next year is another bad season, Long won't have any choice but to fire him. And bielema will take his buyout money and work for ESPN or CBS for a year or 2.

East Clintwood

Quote from: goodguytex on October 19, 2017, 11:50:41 pm
I have had similar thoughts. However, bielema is a new father. He seems to be happy where he's at. Long has publicly anyway given every indication he fully supports bielema and he's standing by him. I look for bielema to force the administration to fire him if he goes anywhere. As long as JL is his boss, at least for this year and next year, I think bielema isn't going anywhere.

If next year is another bad season, Long won't have any choice but to fire him. And bielema will take his buyout money and work for ESPN or CBS for a year or 2.

I too expect Jeffy to keep Bert.

I also expect Jeffy to be retained.

I also expect after this happens that next season we will start to see billboards, newspaper ads, and banners flying.

I think it's going to get really, really ugly.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HogPharmer

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 20, 2017, 12:21:30 am
I too expect Jeffy to keep Bert.

I also expect Jeffy to be retained.

I also expect after this happens that next season we will start to see billboards, newspaper ads, and banners flying.

I think it's going to get really, really ugly.

Unfortunately, the longer this plays out, the more I think that's right. I think a lot of HV members, myself included, get so wrapped up in what we talk about that we think these same conversations we have here are being discussed behind closed doors with the people that make the decisions. But in the end, we look back and realize some things we believe to be 100% true or things we are sure of, were never even a discussion or a realistic possibility at the time.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

urkillnmesmalls

Totally agree Wilson.  If fans are all giddy about us hiring a "win at all costs" coach, then they need to simmer down.  After the black eye from the CBP fiasco, they are NOT going to hire someone that they think might put us through something like that again. 

We're watching a young team.  Is there an excuse for that?  Not in my eyes, but it does happen from time to time when you have a vacuum of experienced talent that moves on.  Now that our starting QB has missed a game, and sounds like possibly two, that's another reason that the CBB proponents will have tucked away to justify that one last hurrah in 2018 to see if he can get it turned around. 

Outside of a complete meltdown and losing almost every game from here out, I think he's going to get a chance in 2018.  I think that's the end of the line though, unless we get at least 7 wins and are more competitive than we have been this season. 

But people...Jeff Long isn't going anywhere unless it's on his own accord.  HV thinks his hire of CBB was his undoing, but my bet is that the BOT saw that as a coup, and even though he hasn't won at nearly the level he told us he would, he has run a clean program and we haven't seen recruiting drop off according to the national numbers.  If the buyout was truly $15M, and he spent a ton of energy convincing the BOT of that despite them cautioning against it and it being against their wishes...but relented, then that's a different story.  But they had to sign off on it, and my guess is they considered that as a necessary evil to compete nationally with what's being offered.

As mentioned above, this is far from Arkansas's first bad hire, and it won't be the last.

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 18, 2017, 03:27:59 pm
Thanks for the heads up, Wilson.

Your lesson is a good one but will fall on deaf ears; Hogville is full of that condition.  For me I will not speculate on anything.  I'm content to watch the news conference when it happens and not go on a fools errand speculating on this or that guy...

Same here. I remember...oh, back in 2-ought 12, Hogville had a link to a Chris Petersen press conference, live from Boise. I was a HUGE Petersen fan...so I expected him to look into the camera and tell everyone how much he enjoyed his stay, and that he was going to Arkansas.

Instead, he talked about the health of his quarterback and their bowl matchup. Sad.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jackflash

I don't think their a coaching change this year, Just some people wishing

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: goodguytex on October 19, 2017, 11:50:41 pm

I think a lot of whether he goes at the end of this season or next depends on the outcome of the next 6 games.

Win out or win 5 of the remaining 6 and go to a bowl game and some will talk about a powerful last half of the season. Others will look back on it and bemoan the fact (and rightfully so) that once again, we left 2-3 wins on the field during the season.

On the other hand, go 3-3 or worse in this last half of the season and next season might not even be a question to debate as it relates to Bielema. Win less than 6 and I don't think he will see the 2018 season at Arkansas. It isn't like the money isn't there to pay the buy-out, especially now that we know it is much less than once thought.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 18, 2017, 07:24:57 pm
He hopes Jeff Long is fired before hire a new coach. We need an unreconstructed man to call up the next general to rally the troops....

PRJ

You make it sound like a Election campaign...

Be careful what you ask for.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hobhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 18, 2017, 02:46:46 pm
I hope Long is not here to make that call.

Fire Uncommon Jeff Integrity Long.  Cause he great at making money and it too Long between Uncommon Wins.

I hope whoever we get to replace coach or Long that we FIRE EM!

PorkSoda

Quote from: hobhog on October 20, 2017, 03:58:08 pm
I hope whoever we get to replace coach or Long that we FIRE EM!
lol, gotta get a head start

Fire Coach ______________  Now!
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.