Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Forde's top 25 QBs to watch in 2017

Started by tampahog, August 14, 2017, 08:39:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tampahog

this is either a total conspiracy or a blatant oversight.  AA not only doesn't make the top 25, he doesn't even make the "others receiving votes" categories.   2 of the top 25 were unnamed starters and several on the list are starting for the first time.  Other SEC QBs mentioned or rated above AA include Jalen Hurts, Malik Zaire, Jarrett Stidham, Jacob Eason, Shea Patterson, Nick Fitzgerald, Danny Etling, and Jake Bentley.  Based on this list, Pat doesn't even consider AA to be one of the top 8 in the SEC.   This is total incompetence or conspiracy on his part.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-footballs-25-intriguing-quarterbacks-2017-071043792.html

hawganatic

Probably has more to do with the low expectations for the team going into the season.   QBs listed are either:

1.  On high profile teams
2.  Expected to go high in the draft
3.  Expected to set some kind of record this season
4.  Have some other kind of high profile drama around them

I could be wrong, but this makes a lot more sense than some conspiracy theory against AA or the Hogs...

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tampahog on August 14, 2017, 08:39:16 am
this is either a total conspiracy or a blatant oversight.  AA not only doesn't make the top 25, he doesn't even make the "others receiving votes" categories.   2 of the top 25 were unnamed starters and several on the list are starting for the first time.  Other SEC QBs mentioned or rated above AA include Jalen Hurts, Malik Zaire, Jarrett Stidham, Jacob Eason, Shea Patterson, Nick Fitzgerald, Danny Etling, and Jake Bentley.  Based on this list, Pat doesn't even consider AA to be one of the top 8 in the SEC.   This is total incompetence or conspiracy on his part.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-footballs-25-intriguing-quarterbacks-2017-071043792.html

I guess that his criteria involves being an "intriguing QB", so I guess he doesn't' find Austin Allen to be very intriguing. Seriously, this has to be an oversight.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgmasta

Wow. I haven't seen a lot of love for AA, I know these guys are looking for clicks so they go with the big schools but good Lord. In Enos system again and I can only assume the o line will be better but I don't think 2nd team all-sec is out of the question. 1st team will go to whoever wins the conference and unfortunately that won't be us.

Hogopolis

After reading the article it appeared more a slight to the Arkansas program, not Austin.   The author simply thinks Arkansas is irrelevant.   By the end of the year he will be singing a different tune. 

Inhogswetrust

Since when is Pat Forde or anyone else at Yahoo such a QB expert.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

RME

Quote from: The ColonelHog on August 14, 2017, 12:22:44 pm
I really can't find a slight against AA, he just didn't register as an intriguing QB to the author.  If he cuts down his picks and can lead the Hogs to a 9-3 regular season record, he will get plenty of love as it will be well deserved.

I didn't either. I think this is being a little blown out of proportion. The author also notes he wrote an article on intriguing coaches, and now is doing one on intriguing quarterbacks. Mike Gundy was #1 on the coaches list. No one in this country would view Gundy as the #1 coach in college football, but that's not what the article is about. It's about intrigue.

Honest to God, Austin is probably our best pure QB in some time. Almost up there with Mallett, but I would say better than Tyler and Brandon, especially based on what he does this year.

That being said, you know what you're getting with Austin. And that's not a bad thing by any means. Just like this year we knew what we would have had with Rawleigh. A very good running back who isn't Fournette strong or McCaffrey flashy, but still a damn good back. The article was about intrigue and sexiness. I don't think Austin's game is overly sexy or intriguing. Again, that's not a bad thing because you know what you're getting, and what you're getting is a pretty damn good quarterback.

lasthog

Quote from: hawgmasta on August 14, 2017, 09:45:43 am
Wow. I haven't seen a lot of love for AA, I know these guys are looking for clicks so they go with the big schools but good Lord. In Enos system again and I can only assume the o line will be better but I don't think 2nd team all-sec is out of the question. 1st team will go to whoever wins the conference and unfortunately that won't be us.

First team.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I smell an, "Is Austin Allen Overlooked?", article coming up real soon somewhere...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hobhog

Top 2-3 QB in toughest conference and gets overlooked should tell you all need to know...

RME

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 14, 2017, 01:25:54 pm
IMO Tyler still gets the nod on that one based on what we've seen so far, but Austin has plenty of opportunity to change that opinion. 

Hard to forget Tyler coming into that Auburn game in 2010 and absolutely dealing.

Hard to disagree with you here. The more I think about it the more I think Austin and Tyler are very close. Statistically, Tyler was a little better his first full year as a starter, and still put some up very solid numbers in that forgetful 2012 year.

I do think Austin may have a mental edge over Tyler in terms of "getting things down" which is why I ultimately think he'll be more successful, but I tend to agree with you after thinking a little more and looking at stats.

daBoar

A 146 passing efficiency for a first year starter in the SEC is not chump change.

Hogwild

I don't get it either, not sure what I'm missing with AA

Todd Mcshay's first 10 QBs taken in 2018 Draft

10. Matt Lineman, Idaho
9. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
8. Riley Ferguson, Memphis
7. Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State
6. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
5. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State
4. Luke Falk, Washington State
3. Josh Rosen, UCLA
2. Josh Allen, Wyoming
1. Sam Darnold, USC

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 14, 2017, 01:31:13 pm
Hard to disagree with you here. The more I think about it the more I think Austin and Tyler are very close. Statistically, Tyler was a little better his first full year as a starter, and still put some up very solid numbers in that forgetful 2012 year.

I do think Austin may have a mental edge over Tyler in terms of "getting things down" which is why I ultimately think he'll be more successful, but I tend to agree with you after thinking a little more and looking at stats.
I wonder what tyler would've done with last years offensive line
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

razorsharptusk

GO HOGS!!

GoHogzzGo

I'm usually very willing to call homer at people and say they are using Razorback colored glasses. In this case I think we are all genuinely ahead of the country on this one. AA can play and suffered significantly due to oline play. He has shown next level decision making and ball placement. Not saying he is the USC kid but top 10 minimum.

Can't wait to see him prove the pundents wrong.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

TexHog188

I can't get too excited... they have BYU at 13-0. 
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

onebadrubi

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 14, 2017, 01:25:54 pm
IMO Tyler still gets the nod on that one based on what we've seen so far, but Austin has plenty of opportunity to change that opinion. 

Hard to forget Tyler coming into that Auburn game in 2010 and absolutely dealing.

One of my favorite memories of the BP era. 

onebadrubi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexHog188 on August 15, 2017, 09:34:57 pm
I can't get too excited... they have BYU at 13-0. 

After looking at their schedule I'd bet they aren't any better than .500 after their first four games and could even have a sub .500 season. I saw only seven true probable wins for them. They play LSU, Utah, Mississippi State and Boise State. They could easily lose all of those and probably lose three of them. Betting they don't go undefeated is a very, very good bet. Of course that's true of almost all teams.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Peter Porker

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 15, 2017, 01:41:40 pm
I wonder what tyler would've done with last years offensive line

The 2012 OL had 2 walkons thanks to booby's inept recruiting.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

nchogg

I really don't care what they say. AA does not brag and he's about the team. He will show them on the field.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 16, 2017, 10:32:49 am
After looking at their schedule I'd bet they aren't any better than .500 after their first four games and could even have a sub .500 season. I saw only seven true probable wins for them. They play LSU, Utah, Mississippi State and Boise State. They could easily lose all of those and probably lose three of them. Betting they don't go undefeated is a very, very good bet. Of course that's true of almost all teams.

I can't see this either but even Phil Steele predicted that they had a good chance at a double digit win season. How, I'm not sure since they only return 6 on offense and 7 on defense. Playing LSU in Houston the first week in September would be even less favorable for them if they were playing outdoors, but I'm sure that is in the domed stadium down there (NRG?). In their favor is getting Wisconsin in Provo, we'll see how the badgers counteract thinner air. Of course that will have no effect on Utah. Let's say they are 2-2 at that point (with wins over Portland State and Wisconsin), that means that they still have to beat Boise State and Miss State (in Starkville) and win all of the rest of their games to get to 10-2. Not sure I can see that going down that way.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 10:48:05 am
I can't see this either but even Phil Steele predicted that they had a good chance at a double digit win season. How, I'm not sure since they only return 6 on offense and 7 on defense. Playing LSU in Houston the first week in September would be even less favorable for them if they were playing outdoors, but I'm sure that is in the domed stadium down there (NRG?). In their favor is getting Wisconsin in Provo, we'll see how the badgers counteract thinner air. Of course that will have no effect on Utah. Let's say they are 2-2 at that point (with wins over Portland State and Wisconsin), that means that they still have to beat Boise State and Miss State (in Starkville) and win all of the rest of their games to get to 10-2. Not sure I can see that going down that way.

Provo Utah obviously has thinner air than Madison Wisconsin. But it is still only 4,500 feet in elevation. I doubt that's enough to effect Wisconsin players. Having to play on the road is the issue. ANY away game against a decent opponent is. I do have to give them credit for scheduling some really good teams. Especially the two SEC and one Big10 one's. I can see a possible ten win season, but also a possible losing one for them. I'd say probably somewhere around 7 or 8 wins.

cosmodrum

Nobody cares about a QB projected to win 6-7 games. It's just reality.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 14, 2017, 11:28:19 am
After reading the article it appeared more a slight to the Arkansas program, not Austin.   The author simply thinks Arkansas is irrelevant.   By the end of the year he will be singing a different tune. 

Please explain how we are relevant.
Go away, batin'

Youngsta71701

No need to fear. He'll be a top 10 QB at season's end.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Headhog32

wish I wouldn't have watched this. makes me angry

Headhog32

by the way Austin was added to the manning award watch list.

Seebs

In a related story - Pat Forde is not on my 'Top 25 Internet writers to read' list.   Not saying he is bad but I will say Robert Shields is number 24.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seebs on August 16, 2017, 11:37:08 am
In a related story - Pat Forde is not on my 'Top 25 Internet writers to read' list.   Not saying he is bad but I will say Robert Shields is number 24.

Who is Robert Shields?...........................

onebadrubi

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 10:48:05 am

I don't know why people put some weight into was PS says.  He's more often waybwrong then he isn't even close to right

onebadrubi

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 16, 2017, 11:01:41 am
Nobody cares about a QB projected to win 6-7 games. It's just reality.

Really?  I'm pretty sure this can be debunked pretty easy over some QB's that were on major dumpster fire losing teams.