Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you Like Chuck Barrett as the Voice of the Razorbacks?

Started by Peter Porker, August 11, 2017, 09:36:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Chuck Barrett as the Voice of the Razorbacks?

Yes
No
Frito Pie

hoglady

Quote from: woo.pig on August 13, 2017, 01:03:14 pm
I'm a big fan of Phil Elson. I was hoping he would take over all sports at some point in the future.

I really like Elson, too and he does a great job - but I prefer Chuck's voice for baseball games - his voice was made for baseball.

Chuck's OK for football, just like for me Paul Ells was OK for football - neither are/were as good as Bud Campbell. Most folks like who they grew up listening to. Many in Campbell's generation preferred him, those in the Ells generation preferred him - Barrett will have a generation of Hog fans that love him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2017, 12:45:21 pm
Has it ever occurred to anyone posting in this thread that just maybe Chuck has the okay of the Eels family to use those phrases in Paul's Memory??

What occurred to me is that Chuck is allowed to say "touchdown Arkansas" when there's a touchdown by Arkansas.  I understand people like when Paul said it, but that doesn't mean no one else is allowed to describe a touchdown by Arkansas the easiest, most sensical way to describe it.  If you don't like Chuck because Chuck thinks you are a terrorist, that's fine, but this "touchdown Arkansas" thing is just stupid.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Porked Tongue

I can't hold the fact he's "not Paul" against Chuck.

GuvHog

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on August 13, 2017, 02:16:12 pm
What occurred to me is that Chuck is allowed to say "touchdown Arkansas" when there's a touchdown by Arkansas.  I understand people like when Paul said it, but that doesn't mean no one else is allowed to describe a touchdown by Arkansas the easiest, most sensical way to describe it.  If you don't like Chuck because Chuck thinks you are a terrorist, that's fine, but this "touchdown Arkansas" thing is just stupid.

I have no problem with Chuck, I actually believe some people honestly misunderstood his "Terrorist" comment and some intentionally misinterpreted his comment because they didn't like him anyway.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Earnhardt

I loved listening to Chuck for baseball before all the games were either on TV or the Internet. I haven't listened to a football game on the radio other than a few minutes of the Tennessee game 2 years ago and he seemed pretty good to me. I love watching the Bret Bielema show on Sunday nights with Chuck Barrett though

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2017, 02:22:56 pm
I have no problem with Chuck, I actually believe some people honestly misunderstood his "Terrorist" comment and some intentionally misinterpreted his comment because they didn't like him anyway.

Same way the "honestly" misunderstood JFB when he made the comment about being 7th or 8th in the SEc, or about " running qb's ". They misunderstood because they hear what they want to hear, regardless of what is ACTUALLY said.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on August 14, 2017, 11:11:39 am
Same way the "honestly" misunderstood JFB when he made the comment about being 7th or 8th in the SEc, or about " running qb's ". They misunderstood because they hear what they want to hear, regardless of what is ACTUALLY said.

Sometimes it's not WHAT you say but how, when or where you say it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 14, 2017, 12:22:50 pm
Sometimes it's not WHAT you say but how, when or where you say it.

But most of the time what is said is EXACTLY what is meant. Chuck did not call all Razorback fans terrorists, he actually did call any fans that, he only compared a very minute group to the way some terrorist behave. JFB did not say a certain type of offense wold never work in the sec, only that it required a QB with a specific skill set. He was EXACTLY right about that too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: woo.pig on August 13, 2017, 01:03:14 pm
I'm a big fan of Phil Elson. I was hoping he would take over all sports at some point in the future.

Phil is outstanding. I agree. Wouldn't mind seeing him do all sports.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Headhog32

LZH

jmark

Quote from: JIHawg on August 11, 2017, 09:38:43 am
I will never forgive Chuckbutt for his undying loyalty to Bozo/Hootie.  I still want him gone, gone, gone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

goodguytex

I voted Frito pie, because, well, I love Frito pie. Chuck is no Paul Eels. And listening to football broadcasts is somewhat painful some of the time. I thought Mike Nail did a great job in football, broadcasting the games. And would've been great as a replacement.

But he's retired now. Scott Sullivan or Scott In an would I think be better than Chuck. Justin Acri would too.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2017, 10:43:06 am
His loyalty was to the university, and to the guy the university was paying to be the football coach. Did anyone really expect him to go on his show and bite the hand that was feeding him?

Calling Hog fans terrorists was not standing up for the athletic department.

sowmonella

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 15, 2017, 04:07:13 pm

No exactly correct on this one.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Foshodo

Can't stand the dude at his job...

The times I've met him he seems wonderful and I don't hold the Houston Nutt stuff against him

I hate that if I get to a radio broadcast late and hear him all excited freaking out that a huge play is being made... I can't tell which team is making the play because he gets all amped up for both teams... I don't want the "voice of the Razorbacks" yelling and giddy when the Alabama secondary picks off a pass and returns it 60 yards for a touchdown or similar play...

It's sickening to me... I understand enjoying the game as a whole and appreciating a big play for what it is but I expect a little bias and not glee if we're gutted on a play

VBCHog

I like Chuck Barrett and I think he is a good football announcer. I do agree that he was a fantastic baseball announcer but I like Phil Elson in that role as well. I think we were spoiled rotten by the greatness of the late Paul Ells.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 15, 2017, 04:07:13 pm

except he did not call all hog fans terrorists.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2017, 09:36:13 am
Personally, I do not like his voice for football. IMO he was always better at baseball. I wish we could get someone else. I'm not a fan of the high-pitched "Touchdown Arkansas".

Compared to Bud Campbell and Paul he can't even carry their lunchboxes!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

snoblind

EastexHawg

Quote from: JIHawg on August 11, 2017, 09:38:43 am
I will never forgive Chuckbutt for his undying loyalty to Bozo/Hootie.  I still want him gone, gone, gone.

He referred to fans as terrorists.  He should have been fired for that if nothing else.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 17, 2017, 10:12:37 am
He referred to fans as terrorists.  He should have been fired for that if nothing else.

All fans? Or just a small radical segement?

snoblind

August 17, 2017, 10:22:59 am #122 Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:56:09 pm by snoblind
Quote from: EastexHawg on August 17, 2017, 10:12:37 am

I heard the segment.  He did not call fans terrorists.  He compared the actions of some fans to the actions of terrorists.  At that point he wasn't an employee of the UofA so how were they going to fire him?

If you are going to hold a 10 year grudge you might want to at least get the facts correct.

Edit:  Occurred to me later that I was wrong.  I was thinking of the full time athletic department position when I made the post.  Obviously he was doing baseball games from the early 90's on.  Love calling someone out for incorrect info then screwing up on the exact same thing.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Stephen Greene

hogsanity

Quote from: snoblind on August 17, 2017, 10:22:59 am
I heard the segment.  He did not call fans terrorists.  He compared the actions of some fans to the actions of terrorists.  At that point he wasn't an employee of the UofA so how were they going to fire him?

If you are going to hold a 10 year grudge you might want to at least get the facts correct.

there are many myths at Hogville, but the 3 biggest are:

1 CB called the fans terrorists. When direct transcripts of what he said show that is not true.

2 JFB said the Hogs should be happy to be 7th or 8th in the sec. When direct transcripts of what he said show that to be totally untrue.

3 That we should be a 8 or 9 win a year team when the entire history of the program has a win % that pegs it at 7.