Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Arkansas Use RPO's in 2017?

Started by bphi11ips, June 27, 2017, 09:26:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

"RPO" became the new buzzword (okay, it's really an acronym) in college football almost overnight in 2016.  Clemson used RPO's on it's way to a NC.  RPOs have become the rage because of the NCAA's liberal illegal man downfield rule, which allows offensive lineman, who are generally ineligible as receivers, to engage defensive players 3 yards downfield.  In the NFL, the rule is 1 yard.  Nick Saban doesn't like the NCAA rule, but he says he'll fight fire with fire:

"I don't think there's any answer to RPOs," Saban told reporters this month [June, 2017]. "When you can run a running play, aight, and the offensive line blocks a running play -- which a defensive player keys a run and a pass -- but it's a running play and the quarterback sits there and does this (motions a fake handoff) and then throws the ball, aight, because the safety doesn't come down or the safety does come down or whatever. There is no solution to that, other than you can't go downfield three and a half yards to block, which is the rule in the NFL and some other places."

But he also said this:

"Whatever the rule is, we'll do it, too," Saban said. "So, what makes a difference? We'll run running plays that we throw passes, just like everybody else."

Read the full article here:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/12/15777064/nick-saban-satellite-camps-recruit-alabama-rpo

Clemson is one of the teams that made a living in 2016 on RPOs.  Auburn has been using them for a while.  Here's a primer:

http://blog.xowizard.com/run-pass-option-101-the-rpo-basics/

The NCAA rules committee proposed a change in the illegal man downfield rule to the 1 yard NFL rule prior to the 2015 season, but it was tabled.  Saban and other coaches are in favor of the change.  Not sure that I've seen Bret Bielema comment on it, but I'd have to think he would be in favor of the change as well.  Note Saban's comment in the first link above about player safety, where he sounds a lot like CBB a few years ago. 

In any event, will Arkansas install the RPO for the 2017 season?

Will the NCAA change the rule to the NFL rule?  I'd personally like to see that happen, but fans seem to like 40-point games.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Eventually the ncaa will adopt the nfl rule, but not this season, and likely not 2018 either.

Will the Hogs use them, I'd say they might have one or 2 in the book, but they did not run them last year, iirc, and with the same QB, some new linemen, and young receivers, I'd doubt we see much of it, if any.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfanfish

Actually I think the Hogs used RPOs a lot last year. It was mentioned all year long by Enos. We just use them a little differently than Clemson and Auburn. They use them with the QB running and we use them as a means for the QB to alter the call at the line of scrimmage between a run or pass play depending on the defensive set up.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogfanfish on June 27, 2017, 11:15:38 am
Actually I think the Hogs used RPOs a lot last year. It was mentioned all year long by Enos. We just use them a little differently than Clemson and Auburn. They use them with the QB running and we use them as a means for the QB to alter the call at the line of scrimmage between a run or pass play depending on the defensive set up.

I thought the same thing myself on pre-snap reads.  It's the post-snap reads I'm more curious about.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 27, 2017, 06:01:01 pm #4 Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:21:43 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: hogfanfish on June 27, 2017, 11:15:38 am

That really isn't what people usually refer to as an RPO. An RPO is after the snap. Prior to the snap, it is just an audible to possibly change blocking schemes and change into a play/alter passing routes that give the offense a greater chance for success based on the defensive set that the QB sees at the LOS.

In the most simple, layman of the layman's terms, the RPO is a packaged play that simplifies the read for the quarterback, making him choose between two options based on what he has identified from the defense post-snap: run (keep the ball/hand it off) or pass. There is a set run play and a set pass play that the quarterback or coordinator has called within each RPO play. Think of it as similar to the traditional option play, where there are multiple plays that the quarterback can make once the ball is snapped based on what he sees from the defensive end: keep it, hand it off to the fullback on the inside, or pitch it to the running back on the outside.

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2017/4/25/15421864/miami-hurricanes-football-changing-the-game-dissecting-the-run-pass-option-mark-richt
Go Hogs Go!

Carl Lazlo

Muskogee is correct.  And it only works if the qb is a running threat.  So Arkansas will not be using the rpo scheme.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on June 27, 2017, 08:50:56 pm
Muskogee is correct.  And it only works if the qb is a running threat.  So Arkansas will not be using the rpo scheme.

RPOs are just a modern version of the triple option.  AA is a better runner than you think.  He doesn't have to run it often to make it work.  The key is that the defense reads run because that is what the line shows.  The QB reads and reacts.  We don't have to build our offense around it to use it.

Jborohog09

You can run RPOs without the QB running.  Here's an example where the QB reads the linebacker on whether to throw it behind him or to hand it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IwjsAJkPPU

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jborohog09 on June 28, 2017, 08:04:43 am
You can run RPOs without the QB running.  Here's an example where the QB reads the linebacker on whether to throw it behind him or to hand it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IwjsAJkPPU

I think if you look closely there wasn't a read involved, it looks a designed play with play action. Can't say for sure but it happens so quickly that there doesn't appear to be time for a read, especially since the throw was going to the backside.
Go Hogs Go!

Jborohog09

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 28, 2017, 08:16:28 am
I think if you look closely there wasn't a read involved, it looks a designed play with play action. Can't say for sure but it happens so quickly that there doesn't appear to be time for a read, especially since the throw was going to the backside.

The QB is reading the backside LB.  It's really, really quick though.  A majority of the time it's going to be a pass because the LB will normally come down a little bit.

Jborohog09

Here are a couple of more videos that are better examples and actually break down what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyFtwFVhK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTq4FE0m4I

oldhawg

I miss the days when lineman could not go downfield on pass plays at all ---- but I like to watch good defensive play that makes the offensive earn what they gain.  Sometimes in todays version of football it seems more like a shell game.

Yes I know, the days of the Four Horseman are gone, and its up to me to adjust my interests because the the rules favoring offense are not likely to change.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on June 28, 2017, 08:40:56 am
I miss the days when lineman could not go downfield on pass plays at all ---- but I like to watch good defensive play that makes the offensive earn what they gain.  Sometimes in todays version of football it seems more like a shell game.

Yes I know, the days of the Four Horseman are gone, and its up to me to adjust my interests because the the rules favoring offense are not likely to change.

It isn't a matter of being "old school". An O-Lineman should not be allowed to be further than 2-3 yards beyond the LOS if there is any chance that the ball will be thrown. If they are, they should be flagged. Same thing on screen plays. It isn't that tough.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: oldhawg on June 28, 2017, 08:40:56 am

Was thinking about this and have concluded I like the college rule because it seems to favor the run game. NFL games bore me these days. You see one you've seen 'em all. Running backs have become devalued.

I don't know how the rule has evolved over the years in college and the pros. It seems reasonable to allow linemen to plow defenders three yards downfield on any play. I'd rather see the NFL adopt the college rule.