Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 offensive line

Started by hogz11, March 29, 2017, 06:57:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

A friend told me that Johnny Gibson was not practicing with the 1st or 2nd team. I didn't see any topic about this so I wanted to know if there is any news about him or the presumed starting five. I assume it will look something like this.....

LT- Wallace
LG- Froholdt
C- Ragnow
RG- Gibson
RT- Jackson or Merrick

Feel free to chime in. (Like I need to tell anyone on Hogville that)

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: hogz11 on March 29, 2017, 07:03:26 pm
Looked, but I guess I missed it. Thanks.

It may have been expunged, there were some comments that bashed players.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogz11 on March 29, 2017, 06:57:34 pm
A friend told me that Johnny Gibson was not practicing with the 1st or 2nd team. I didn't see any topic about this so I wanted to know if there is any news about him or the presumed starting five. I assume it will look something like this.....

LT- Wallace
LG- Froholdt
C- Ragnow
RG- Gibson
RT- Jackson or Merrick

Feel free to chime in. (Like I need to tell anyone on Hogville that)

In short, Gibson has a higher floor than some of our other players. When Raulerson didn't improve despite starting for 8 games to open the season, Gibson was inserted and improved the play of the OL.

However, Gibson also has a lower ceiling than some of our other players. So, under ideal conditions, we get the other players closer to their ceiling rather than their floor.

There's a reason Gibson has been a regular appearance on our two deep over the few seasons and it isn't because he isn't a very capable player. However, there's also a reason that when the starter he is backing up gets injured, somebody else other than Gibson went in to cover for the injury.

Moving forward, I expect Gibson to give any scholarship player a fierce battle and make them really earn their spot as a starter. In a pinch, I think he would do just fine as a starter again. However, if somebody like Raulerson or Rogers can improve, they provide a higher ceiling.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse