Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's to blame for the downfall in football?

Started by Captain Morgan, September 29, 2017, 06:03:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's to blame for eroding in football?

The Board of Trustees
10 (5.4%)
Dr. Jeff Long
93 (50%)
Bret Bielema
46 (24.7%)
The fans
26 (14%)
The alumni
4 (2.2%)
Kurt Anderson/Samantha Pittman
7 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 185

radar

The blame has to be on the BOT, and to a lesser extent on incompetence from our ADs the last 30+ years. Who among us would turn down multi-million dollar contracts to be the Hogs head coach, or big $$ to be assistant coaches? It is the responsibility of our AD to identify, hire, and retain the best coaches available, if he is incompetent, the BOT has an obligation to to the university to replace the AD. I believe Frank lost the trust of those in the coaching profession with his meddling and treatment of Hatfield. Long on the other hand seems to be unable to recognize coaching talent, and is willing to waste $$$$$ on incompetence.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

orvillesghost

I am not sure there is a blame but the move to the SEC has condemned us to mediocrity in football. Let me rephrase that, mediocrity is too strong a word, condemned us to average seasons of six to maybe eight wins which for this league is actually pretty decent. Arkansas is never going to win the SEC in football though.

Terrible thing to accept but I really don't see that changing anytime in the future no matter who coaches here.

Economically it was a great decision, still is, and didn't hurt the other sports but it killed relevance in football for certain.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Tuskya on September 30, 2017, 07:03:33 am
Frankly, I thought it was boring to always play teams from TX. Now, we travel to a variety of states and enjoy amazing college football traditions. There's no comparison.
100% agree with you.  I would be fine if we never play a Texas team again.  I like variety.  I would love it if everyone were independents and could play all sorts of teams from all over the country.

jvanhorn

Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2017, 07:44:33 pm
IMHO it was the change from the SWC to the SEC - and, although I hate to say it and I know that he did many things that improved Arkansas athletics and carried us into national prominence in many respects, that falls on Frank Broyles - by changing we not only destroyed the SWC but it put us in a conference that we had very little chance to successfully compete in on a regular basis.  Arkansas has not been able to recruit the talent to compete in the SEC - occasionally, we'll have some in-state players come along that will make us competitive, but on a consistent basis, we can't provide or recruit the talent to do so.  When the SWC existed the competition was basically Ark vs. Texas - both programs have been basically destroyed on a national relevance basis by the destruction of the SWC

THIS!  SAD BUT TRUE.  I THINK BROYLES DID IT WITH THE BEST INTENTIONS TO SAVE THE RAZORBACKS.  I DON'T THINK HE REALIZED JUST HOW BIG A STEP UP THAT WAS AS FAR AS RECRUITING AND BEING--AND MAYBE JUST HOW
GOOD A MAJORITY OF THE TEAMS WERE IN THE SEC COMPARED THE SWC, WHICH WAS JUST BASICALLY ARKANSAS AND TEXAS--AND OTHERS TO BE NAMED LATER.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 29, 2017, 06:32:54 pm
Houston Nutt.

He convinced an entire state that we are second rate.  He is the cancer that started this, and all the problems are the ripple effect of that.

No.

John White.
This is my non-signature signature.

snoblind

Everyone knows this is all Pondering's fault. 

rlamb

We didn't feed the "Monster" but in the 60's as a steady top 10 team. Top 3 for the decade in wins.
We would have had the Monster if Frank would have hired Jimmy Johnson when he was practically
begging for the job in 76' and 84'. I believe he would
have been successful enough to have a big contract to stay here until the Dallas job opened up.

Then there could have been a steady flow of coaches like Butch Davis and Tommy Tuberville to keep
the good times rolling. I believe we would have won 2 National Titles in Jimmy's time here and who
knows about Butch or Tommy, but it would have better than what we have had over the last 25.