Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game Report

Started by Razorod, March 31, 2016, 06:17:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Looking forward to some reports from tonight's game.

Barford, Macon, Bailey and perhaps Fisher.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

PonderinHog

Any video links available?

rzrbackramsfan

rzrbackramsfan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Razorod on March 31, 2016, 06:17:14 pm
Looking forward to some reports from tonight's game.

Barford, Macon, Bailey and perhaps Fisher.

Barford and fisher didn't make it

ricepig

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 31, 2016, 08:17:58 pm
Barford and fisher didn't make it

Anybody know why Barford didn't?

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on March 31, 2016, 08:20:09 pm
Anybody know why Barford didn't?

Probably has academic stuff he needs to attend to. Motlow (Nashville) is four hours away.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 31, 2016, 08:24:01 pm
Probably has academic stuff he needs to attend to. Motlow (Nashville) is four hours away.

Kinda what I figured.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on March 31, 2016, 08:35:36 pm
Kinda what I figured.

Knowing our luck he's probably not coming to Arkansas anymore

LA Football fan

With all the storms between here and there I don't blame him for not coming.

RealHog

March 31, 2016, 11:05:51 pm #13 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:45:24 pm by RealHog
I was at the game and here's a couple of my observations and notes on some of the kids I watched. As said above Barford, Cook, and Fisher didn't make it. Sorry it's long but someone may want to know.

Tenn won in double overtime, and this game had a lil' homecooking for the AR team for sure. Plenty of uncalled fouls on both sides but especially AR had the much better of it. AR has about an 18 point lead at halftime.

Macon
-looks like he's a solid 6'2",  maybe a hair more, not quite 6'3"
-More athletic than I thought, had a sick jam of an alley oop
-could play good D when focused
-Willing scorer, but not the best "slasher" or pull up, got blocked once and a couple charitable foul calls at the rim on bad drives
-Good, not great shot. Way too many lazy 25 foot shots when he wasn't open and no passes, even for an all star game.
-Good, not great handle
-acted like the best player on the court, but didn't always play like it
-hogged the ball pretty badly
-Dont see this guy as a game changer at this point, Hannahs at this point is far superior
-would completely check out while playing pretty often; even for an All star game
-probably plays like a So or JR year Bell next year

Andre Jones
Let me preface this by saying I thought jones was a bit over hyped and your typical home state kid that everybody says they have to have, but he looked good tonight.
-Guy looked like the best scorer on the court, yes including Macon. Had some nasty drives and dunks. Got to the rim much easier than Macon it seemed.
-Looks a hair taller than Macon, full 6'3" id say
-Explosive player
- Played better than Macon most of the night
-bad turnover late in the game on regulation
-Didn't get to see his 3 point ability much but he had a couple, more concerned with driving which was good IMO,but he shot well in HS championship game vs Baptist Prep

Bailey
-looked just a hair shorter than Curry, who I'd say is 6'7", Bailey 6'6"
-played passing lanes very well, very good defender
-Nose for the ball, had some good blocks
-good, not amazing athlete
-not a good shooter, probably a guy who makes like 10 threes a year at about 20%
-didn't see much off the dribble drive action or ball handling, but this game had way too many guards and Bailey was playing as a post type due to that.
-feel he can be a good piece, especially as a 4 year guy.

Misc notes
-Nathan Hoover (#11) from Tenn had a great game, some dagger threes and clutch drives he converted while getting fouled
-Curry looks small to play true 4, but had some good rebounds in a game lacking many true post players
-Tyrik Dixon stuck out as a player who would rather his team play well than him have a big stat line, a true PG
-AR looked like a bit more pure talent, but Tenn played like they wanted it more and better as a team for sure. Bad showing by AR overall.

Glad I went to the game. Wish Barford was able to make it. I hope Macon can be more focused and play better when he makes to the floor next year. Hard to really evaluate off an All star game for sure, and I saw some good things from him.

In the end, WPS! Hog fan to the end.

labb

Pretty sure Macon had 35 points and Bailey had 23. The Jones kid had 18. It was an all star game..very little defense played.

The_Iceman

I remember as few years ago at one of these All-Star games people said some no name player was the best player on the court. People laughed at that report. I wish our coaches would have paid attention:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56913/raheem-appleby

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2016, 09:39:10 am
I remember as few years ago at one of these All-Star games people said some no name player was the best player on the court. People laughed at that report. I wish our coaches would have paid attention:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56913/raheem-appleby

Coaches knew Appleby well, but it was a numbers game at the time.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

The players last night had been advised to do what they could to avoid injuries. Might have something to do with those who were not there. It was not a useful display of anybody's true ability.
[CENSORED]!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RealHog on March 31, 2016, 11:05:51 pm
I was at the game and here's a couple of my observations and notes on some of the kids I watched. As said above Barford, Cook, and Fisher didn't make it. Sorry it's long but someone may want to know.

Tenn won in double overtime, and this game had a lil' homecooking for the AR team for sure. Plenty of uncalled fouls on both sides but especially AR had the much better of it. AR has about an 18 point lead at halftime.

Macon
-looks like he's a solid 6'2",  maybe a hair more, not quite 6'3"
-More athletic than I thought, had a sick jam of an alley oop
-could play good D when focused
-Willing scorer, but not the best "slasher" or pull up, got blocked once and a couple charitable foul calls at the rim on bad drives
-Good, not great shot. Way too many lazy 25 foot shots when he wasn't open and no passes, even for an all star game.
-Good, not great handle
-acted like the best player on the court, but didn't always play like it
-hogged the ball pretty badly
-Dont see this guy as a game changer at this point, Hannahs at this point is far superior
-would completely check out while playing pretty often; even for an All star game
-probably plays like a So or JR year Bell next year

Andre Jones
Let me preface this by saying I thought jones was a bit over hyped and your typical home state kid that everybody says they have to have, but he looked good tonight.
-Guy looked like the best scorer on the court, yes including Macon. Had some nasty drives and dunks. Got to the rim much easier than Macon it seemed.
-Looks a hair taller than Macon, full 6'3" id say
-Explosive player
- Played better than Macon most of the night
-bad turnover late in the game on regulation
-Didn't get to see his 3 point ability much but he had a couple, more concerned with driving which was good IMO,but he shot well in HS championship game vs Baptist Prep

Bailey
-looked just a hair shorter than Curry, who I'd say is 6'7", Bailey 6'6"
-played passing lanes very well, very good defender
-Nose for the ball, had some good blocks
-good, not amazing athlete
-not a good shooter, probably a guy who makes like 10 threes a year at about 20%
-didn't see much off the dribble drive action or ball handling, but this game had way too many guards and Bailey was playing as a post type due to that.
-feel he can be a good piece, especially as a 4 year guy.

Misc notes
-Nathan Hoover (#11) from Tenn had a great game, some dagger threes and clutch drives he converted while getting fouled
-Curry looks small to play true 4, but had some good rebounds in a game lacking many true post players
-Tyrik Dixon stuck out as a player who would rather his team play well than him have a big stat line, a true PG
-AR looked like a bit more pure talent, but Tenn played like they wanted it more and better as a team for sure. Bad showing by AR overall.

Glad I went to the game. Wish Barford was able to make it. I hope Macon can be more focused and play better when he makes to the floor next year. Hard to really evaluate off an All star game for sure, and I saw some good things from him.

In the end, WPS! Hog fan to the end.

+1.
Thanks for the write up.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

RealHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 03, 2016, 03:52:43 am
+1.
Thanks for the write up.

Glad you enjoyed it Sooie. Yeah just my opinions. I do think Macon and Bailey will be good players for the Hogs, really do, but I am certainly no scout. Macon did have a good stroke from downtown and great range (made a non chalant half court shot after a timeout), and Bailey had a 3 himself on good form. He was only 2 for 8 from 3 point land his HS Senior year according to Max preps, but his team had him mostly playing post it think, and he may be working on it. I hope my post didn't seem like I was too down on them, and people who know way more about bball and scouting than me are really up on them. Macon did show nice slashing ability to go along with his very good shot, and his confidence will serve him well. Really a bad forum to truly evaluate players as it was an All Star game again, but it was great to see them in person.

intelligence

Quote from: RealHog on April 03, 2016, 11:24:58 pm
Glad you enjoyed it Sooie. Yeah just my opinions. I do think Macon and Bailey will be good players for the Hogs, really do, but I am certainly no scout. Macon did have a good stroke from downtown and great range (made a non chalant half court shot after a timeout), and Bailey had a 3 himself on good form. He was only 2 for 8 from 3 point land his HS Senior year according to Max preps, but his team had him mostly playing post it think, and he may be working on it. I hope my post didn't seem like I was too down on them, and people who know way more about bball and scouting than me are really up on them. Macon did show nice slashing ability to go along with his very good shot, and his confidence will serve him well. Really a bad forum to truly evaluate players as it was an All Star game again, but it was great to see them in person.
I think Macon will be one of our leading scorers next year.