Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our top PG recruit (Trey Dickerson) just committed to Iowa

Started by -Blu, March 08, 2014, 10:53:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

SMH..... that's very surprising he was suppose to come visit together with Willie Atwood.

Danny J

Breems

Past articles would suggest Atwood will follow suit. Hmmmm.

Hope we land one of the other guards we're chasing.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

-Blu

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 08, 2014, 10:54:07 pm
Well that's not good.

Get's better, trying to get Atwood to go there with him.

Trey Dickerson ‏@Dat_boy_TD 2m
You next bro lets get it !!! @thelastchill hawkeyesssss

Smithian

That's more disappointing than today's loss.

Next year's back court needs bodies.

Wild Bill Hog

-Blu

Quote from: Smithian on March 08, 2014, 10:57:39 pm
That's more disappointing than today's loss.

Next year's back court needs bodies.

Yea, this is more disappointing than the loss...  I'm like shocked right now, like he just did an interview reporting Mike was coming up to New York to see his family and he was for sure doing an official to Arkansas, was waiting for Atwood to finish his season for them to come together.  That just shows you how important it is to get that first visit.  Some of these kids get overwhelmed with all the attention and the huge arenas and and all the fans, and just think it can't get any better and commit.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 11:01:13 pm
Yea, this is more disappointing than the loss...  I'm like shocked right now, like he just did an interview reporting Mike was coming up to New York to see his family and he was for sure doing an official to Arkansas, was waiting for Atwood to finish his season for them to come together.  That just shows you how important it is to get that first visit.  Some of these kids get overwhelmed with all the attention and the huge arenas and and all the fans, and just think it can't get any better and commit.
If I were a kid getting recruited, I'd take all my visits first. Arkansas would blow him away.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

mbgrulz

-Blu

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 08, 2014, 11:03:47 pm
If I were a kid getting recruited, I'd take all my visits first. Arkansas would blow him away.

Yea, I'm like you, I would never commit on impulse, but that's why they give these 18 and 19 year old kids the red carpet treatment to make them commit quick, to keep them from other schools.  Iowa did what they had to do.  I'll be curious to see if he is still going to take his other visits.

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 11:05:36 pm
We are targeting another JUCO PG however...

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/jabrildurhamwlgg

His team loses a lot. Shooting percentages look solid.

Hopefully Beard and Babb can do good basketball things.

RazorSax

To Iowa, really? Facilities alone would grab his interest.  :puke:

Hogimus Prime

Well that sucks.  Good thing MA and staff are after other point guards.

rzrbackramsfan

Iowan's were sucking up to him sooo bad on twitter.  So is this a for sure thing? He signed the papers and everything?  He seems impulsive like some have said and could change his mind. 

-Blu

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 08, 2014, 11:18:33 pm
Iowan's were sucking up to him sooo bad on twitter.  So is this a for sure thing? He signed the papers and everything?  He seems impulsive like some have said and could change his mind.

Spring signing period isn't until like April.  And yea, your right, the amount of sucking up Iowa fans do is embarrassing, I've kept up with a lot of recruiting, and I've never seen fans suck up as much as Iowa did to Trey.  He had to have had like 10-15 Iowa fans that tweeted him daily, I know I was looking at his page after he committed and just reading all the tweets, and it's this one Iowa fan that's a 55 year old lady, that was tweeting him constantly, like multiple tweets everyday.  Looks like she made an account just to tweet him.  It was funny because she tried to trick him I guess and took a picture with a younger attractive girl in the center of her picture, and the older lady was kinda off to the side of the picture.  So it actually looks like an attractive younger girl was the tweeter.  I'd be so embarrassed if that was my mom or grandma on a 19 year old kids page everyday begging him to come to her school.

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 11:39:46 pmand it's this one Iowa fan that's a 55 year old lady

Crap.

If it's the kind of 55 where wrinkles only account for 42% of the epidermis and she had decent jaw height and a full head of lush hair, that's probably what did the trick. Does Arkansas have a signature 55 year old Recruiting Tweeter? Bev Lewis?

JonClaudeVanHam

Well this is not what I wanted to see upon logging back onto Hogville. Frick. Stupid decision on his part to commit off of a visit high.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

RockChalkJayhawk

Wonder if his transcript was an issue - just speculating as it's a bit more difficult to get juco kids into SEC schools.  Just a thought.

Moreover, perhaps he didn't want to battle with an in-state signee (Beard) for playing time.  Who knows.  At any rate these theories make more sense than 55 year old women on twitter; well, maybe.

-Blu

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 08, 2014, 11:53:05 pm
Wonder if his transcript was an issue - just speculating as it's a bit more difficult to get juco kids into SEC schools.  Just a thought.

Moreover, perhaps he didn't want to battle with an in-state signee (Beard) for playing time.  Who knows.  At any rate these theories make more sense than 55 year old women on twitter; well, maybe.

No, I'm sure the woman had nothing to do with his decision, we were just talking about how the Iowa fans were all over his twitter page, it was unreal.  I'm sure what got him is just going there and seeing the environment and getting promised everything he wanted to hear.  Probably had a few groupies for him as well.

Breems

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 08, 2014, 11:53:05 pmMoreover, perhaps he didn't want to battle with an in-state signee (Beard) for playing time.

Then we don't need that fool!

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 08, 2014, 11:53:05 pmAt any rate these theories make more sense than 55 year old women on twitter; well, maybe.

Not if the circumstances were as I described above.

Tough loss for Kansas tonight. Guess we'll be sweating it out during Selection Sunday together. Rough being on the bubble, isn't it?

Breems

-Blu

Quote from: Breems on March 08, 2014, 11:59:03 pm
Wow. This definitely rules out my theory. She must be a mom or married to the coach or something.

Dang, you seen that post before I could change it, I thought about it after I posted, that was kinda mean posting her account like that.  She's probably a nice lady.  I don't know her situation, she could be close to the program or something.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Breems on March 08, 2014, 11:56:32 pm
Tough loss for Kansas tonight. Guess we'll be sweating it out during Selection Sunday together. Rough being on the bubble, isn't it?
I called that loss brutha!!

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on March 09, 2014, 12:02:29 am
Dang, you seen that post before I could change it, I thought about it after I posted, that was kinda mean posting her account like that.  She's probably a nice lady.  I don't know her situation, she could be close to the program or something.

Meh, I edited my post accordingly.

She's in public territory, though, to be fair.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 11:56:14 pm
No, I'm sure the woman had nothing to do with his decision, we were just talking about how the Iowa fans were all over his twitter page, it was unreal.  I'm sure what got him is just going there and seeing the environment and getting promised everything he wanted to hear.  Probably had a few groupies for him as well.

Oh I know.  Fans are nuts everywhere, and twitter/social media seems to provide quite the outlet for all kinds of people to participate. 

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Breems on March 09, 2014, 12:04:56 am
Meh, it was fun for a while at least. I edited my post accordingly.

Good call.

-Blu

Quote from: Breems on March 09, 2014, 12:04:56 am
Meh, it was fun for a while at least. I edited my post accordingly.

Yea true.

Well this has been a pretty bad day for Hog Bball fans, I don't think things could have possibly been any worse.  Got Blew out by Bama and Lost out on our top recruit, only thing that could have made this day worse if Portis would have announced after the game he was entering the draft.

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on March 09, 2014, 12:08:33 am
Yea true.

Well this has been a pretty bad day for Hog Bball fans, I don't think things could have possibly been any worse.  Got Blew out by Bama and Lost out on our top recruit, only thing that could have made this day worse if Portis would have announced after the game he was entering the draft.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to check Portis' Twitter now.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 11:39:46 pm
Spring signing period isn't until like April.  And yea, your right, the amount of sucking up Iowa fans do is embarrassing, I've kept up with a lot of recruiting, and I've never seen fans suck up as much as Iowa did to Trey.  He had to have had like 10-15 Iowa fans that tweeted him daily, I know I was looking at his page after he committed and just reading all the tweets, and it's this one Iowa fan that's a 55 year old lady, that was tweeting him constantly, like multiple tweets everyday.  Looks like she made an account just to tweet him.  It was funny because she tried to trick him I guess and took a picture with a younger attractive girl in the center of her picture, and the older lady was kinda off to the side of the picture.  So it actually looks like an attractive younger girl was the tweeter.  I'd be so embarrassed if that was my mom or grandma on a 19 year old kids page everyday begging him to come to her school.

I wouldn't doubt Trey flips. 

That's hilarious.  I really don't get why Iowan's just went crazy on his twitter... do their fans have the same passion for basketball that we have for football?  Or did he just retweet any and everything.

The only time I ever considered tweeting him was when an Iowan fan said something like, come play in front of 14k strong. 

Danny J

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 09, 2014, 12:13:11 am
I wouldn't doubt Trey flips. 

That's hilarious.  I really don't get why Iowan's just went crazy on his twitter... do their fans have the same passion for basketball that we have for football?  Or did he just retweet any and everything.

The only time I ever considered tweeting him was when an Iowan fan said something like, come play in front of 14k strong.
I don't have a twitter account but should have responded....try playing in front of 19k

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 09, 2014, 12:37:31 am
I don't have a twitter account but should have responded....try playing in front of 19k

I know right?  But I talked to Kenny Young at the airport once and he committed to UCLA, so I'm just not going to talk to recruits haha.

ballinhog

I was pretty high on Dickerson. I've been torn on who I liked more between him and Dequon Miller. If it's just between those 2 I think I liked a Miller a little more but because Dickerson could also mean Atwood, I was leaning toward him. This doesn't have to be terrible news, Miller is no slouch at all. Problem with Miller is he's not even sure if he's gonna sign this year, he's considering another year of JUCO ball. One thing for sure now is CMA has his work cut out on Atwood, really really hope we can still get him. If we manage Miller and Atwood I will be very satisfied.

Those of you that know nothing on Dequon Miller, go do your homework. Trust me you will love him

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ballinhog on March 09, 2014, 01:18:06 am
I was pretty high on Dickerson. I've been torn on who I liked more between him and Dequon Miller. If it's just between those 2 I think I liked a Miller a little more but because Dickerson could also mean Atwood, I was leaning toward him. This doesn't have to be terrible news, Miller is no slouch at all. Problem with Miller is he's not even sure if he's gonna sign this year, he's considering another year of JUCO ball. One thing for sure now is CMA has his work cut out on Atwood, really really hope we can still get him. If we manage Miller and Atwood I will be very satisfied.

Those of you that know nothing on Dequon Miller, go do your homework. Trust me you will love him

Yea I'm pretty sure I saw his highlights, pretty sure it was him, and I thought he would be no to little downgrade from Dickerson. 

Kevin

Not like our fans blowing up football recruits twitter.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

He probably liked the opportunity to play 35 minutes a game and shoot it 15 times.

jjdlc

Funny thing is, it seems like JUCOs are worse than HS kids about committing on their first visit.  Wonder if that is actually true.

MemphisBossHog

the kid is from Los Angeles, California and commits early to IOWA?????  IOWA?  really?  He was just so excited to commit to go play in Iowa City, IA that he had to commit before taking all his visits??  Something sounds strange.

I can understand losing out on recruits from LA to schools like KY, Louisville, Indiana, Kansas, Mich St, or Mich and the like, but IOWA?? 

Oh well, hope Mike A can find another  PG.  We definitely need a Corey Beck, Lee Mayberry, "coach on the floor" type kid that can lead the team.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 09, 2014, 07:38:38 am
He probably liked the opportunity to play 35 minutes a game and shoot it 15 times.

Probably so, a lot of these programs tell the kids anything they want to hear to get them to commit. We don't do that, and I'm sure that hurts us in recruiting sometimes.  I think that's what probably hurt us in this situation, as well as the Jermone Seagers and Jamal Jones situation.  These guys want a coach to tell them they'll be the focal point of the offense and they'll play 30+ minutes a game.  I heard an interview with Anton Beard on the radio right after he signd his LOI with Arkansas, and they asked him what made him choose Arkansas, and he said the fact that Coach Anderson was completely honest with him, told him he'd have to come in and earn playing time, and he was going to have to work hard and compete for a spot everyday.  He said he really appreciated that because at his other visits they would just tell him whatever he wanted hear, and he doesn't like to be given anything he wants to work for everything he gets.

BadHog

$$$$$. If you don't think it's happening you're living in a cave.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

z1on

I wish our fans that blow up 3 star football players twitter that we have no chance to get would at least give half the effort in basketball to a 4 star recruit we had a good chance of landing. Although looking back at Trey's twitter most Iowa fans seem creepy one of them has their 5 year old kid decked out in Iowa gear and written on the kid's face is "Trey Dickerson please save us". 

HogWild94

Very disappointing but I suppose it's not over yet.

If all the talk of he and Atwood wanting to attend the same school are true, how would you feel right now if you are Atwood?  Your season isn't even over yet, you're waiting to make your visits, and Dickerson is out committing to Iowa.

Basically it boils down to this in my opinion.

1 - The talk is indeed true and Atwood commits to Iowa shortly after visiting there.

2 - He decides to break away from the "package deal" idea and commit elsewhere (hopefully Arkansas of course).

3 - He follows through with point #2 but gets Dickerson to flip with him.

Which do you see as most likely to happen?
Hog fan since birth.  There is simply nothing else.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 10:53:14 pm
SMH..... that's very surprising he was suppose to come visit together with Willie Atwood.
What does Iowa have that attracted him there vs. Ark?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

k.c.hawg

I wish he had taken his time and given us a visit. When I look at Iowa's box scores and season statistics they don't play anyone 35 minutes. In fact they look almost identical to Arkansas. Their top player is at 29 min a game and they have 9 players that play 16+ min a game. In conference play the Hogs top players are coming in at 30-33 min per game, Im sure he could have gotten 30 min a game if his play level dictated that.  I can't say that we had a fair shot without him coming and checking out the campus and the facilities but people acting like it is a slap in the face that he signed with Iowa are not being objective. Iowa has a great game day atmosphere, they play in a conference that is currently superior to the SEC in basketball and they are having similar success or lack there of as we are. Didn't we get in on him much later than Iowa? It's too bad....looked like he would have been a good fit and it's possible he will someday look up and wish he would have taken all of his visits and fully weighed all of his options. Good luck to him, now it's up to the staff to go find a good player that wants to come be a part of the Razorback resurrection.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

z1on

Quote from: HogWild94 on March 09, 2014, 10:55:21 am
Very disappointing but I suppose it's not over yet.

If all the talk of he and Atwood wanting to attend the same school are true, how would you feel right now if you are Atwood?  Your season isn't even over yet, you're waiting to make your visits, and Dickerson is out committing to Iowa.

Basically it boils down to this in my opinion.

1 - The talk is indeed true and Atwood commits to Iowa shortly after visiting there.

2 - He decides to break away from the "package deal" idea and commit elsewhere (hopefully Arkansas of course).

3 - He follows through with point #2 but gets Dickerson to flip with him.

Which do you see as most likely to happen?

I think it was Dickerson who wanted them to play together. I don't see any thing on Atwood's twitter suggesting they will play together in college. IMO Arkansas is at the very top of Willie Atwood's list and it wouldn't surprise me once he visits here that he commits. He tweets a lot about Arkansas and rarely anything about Iowa plus his parents want him to stay close to home not to mention team mates in AAU with Portis and Kingsley. Crystal ball projections also have to hogs on top 100% to Arkansas to be exact. To be honest I would rather have Atwood/Purcell combo or the other PG we're after over Dickerson.

HogWild94

Great points z1on.  I too would love to get Purcell.
Hog fan since birth.  There is simply nothing else.

hogman99

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 08, 2014, 11:53:05 pm

I don't think so, Iowa is a high academic school.

"Iowa is one of 61 elected members to the Association of American Universities. Iowa has also been named a Public Ivy by Greene Guides. The university is currently home to ISCABBS, a public bulletin board system that was the largest Internet community in the world prior to the commercialization of the world wide web.

The University of Iowa is also the home to the National Advanced Driving Simulator (a virtual reality driving simulator.) The Iowa Writers' Workshop was founded in 1936. Since 1947 it has produced thirteen Pulitzer Prize winners. In total, twenty-five people affiliated with the Writers' Workshop have won a Pulitzer Prize. The Hanson Center for Technical Communication was founded at The University of Iowa and is named after a 1960 graduate, Thomas R. Hanson who funded the institution with $800,000."

RazorPiggie

We don't have a recruiter on this staff and it's going to continue to hurt us.