Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Gafford Falling out of 1st Round ?

Started by 99toLife, March 05, 2018, 10:31:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

99toLife

Is Gafford Falling out of the1st Round ?

It appears to me Gaffords stock is falling in most of the Mock Drafts I have seen.

Anyone else noticing that.

Looks like he may be a Hog next year, after all.

OldTimeHawg

HOGS = LIFE

99toLife

Quote from: OldTimeHawg on March 05, 2018, 10:33:25 am

I have seen a couple of Mock drafts he's not even in the top forty.

I will try and to go back and provide a link.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/daniel-gafford-arkansas-nba-draft-2018-mock-highlights-stats-scouting-report-wingspan/4cya8wpo3onq110lpforvc19c

Here's a breakdown of Gafford comparing him to current NBA centers.

"At this point, the Arkansas freshman would slot in with a late lottery grade — somewhere between picks 11 and 14 — on my draft board, but front offices should rightfully evaluate whether they can achieve similar value with another center later in the draft. Both Capela and Jordan were draft day steals, for example, with the former going to the Rockets late in the first round and the latter to the Clippers early in the second.

However, Gafford's potential rim protection is an important wrinkle that allows him to bring value to an NBA team in a way similar to Capela as an elite rim-running, rim-protecting center. Despite having less margin for error, those centers are still valuable for many teams in the league."
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OldTimeHawg

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 10:34:45 am
I have seen a couple of Mock drafts he's not even in the top forty.

I will try and to go back and provide a link.

A couple out of hundreds though  :-\??
HOGS = LIFE

KlubhouseKonnected

Mocks have to change to keep interest, none of it matters. He'll get projections from the league after the season and make a decision then
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-cavs-bulls-knicks-trae-young-marvin-bagley-iii-luka-doncic-deandre-ayton/2khdk5d15lgt16sdln66qti01

"17. Suns (via Heat) — Daniel Gafford, C, Arkansas

Arkansas' Gafford is winner of the annual four-star big man who pushed his way into the one-and-done conversation award. The 6-11 freshman's length and athleticism translates at the rim on both ends of the floor. He's averaging 3.4 blocks per 40 minutes and ranks in the 84th percentile nationally as a pick-and-roll dive man, per Synergy.

For a Suns team that will need to replace Tyson Chandler's minutes in the near future, Gafford could be a solution."

This is about 3 weeks old.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

99toLife

Quote from: OldTimeHawg on March 05, 2018, 10:36:20 am
A couple out of hundreds though  :-\??

That's why I'm asking, some of the ones that had him at 12-16 a month ago he's not even on anymore.

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 05, 2018, 10:38:06 am
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-cavs-bulls-knicks-trae-young-marvin-bagley-iii-luka-doncic-deandre-ayton/2khdk5d15lgt16sdln66qti01

Arkansas' Gafford is winner of the annual four-star big man who pushed his way into the one-and-done conversation award. The 6-11 freshman's length and athleticism translates at the rim on both ends of the floor. He's averaging 3.4 blocks per 40 minutes and ranks in the 84th percentile nationally as a pick-and-roll dive man, per Synergy.

For a Suns team that will need to replace Tyson Chandler's minutes in the near future, Gafford could be a solution."

I know, That is about where he was on many 3 weeks ago. Doesn't seem he is anywhere near that on most now. Maybe I'm just looking at all the wrong ones.

OldTimeHawg

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 10:39:11 am
That's why I'm asking, some of the ones that had him at 12-16 a month ago he's not even on anymore.

Like my man Klubhouse said...they change all of the time to get people to keep reading.  The general average among all of the mock drafts are still in the 1st round.
HOGS = LIFE

99toLife

Quote from: OldTimeHawg on March 05, 2018, 10:42:36 am
Like my man Klubhouse said...they change all of the time to get people to keep reading.  The general average among all of the mock drafts are still in the 1st round.

I have a few that have him still projected in the top 20, and I have seen many that look like this.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

OldTimeHawg

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 10:46:42 am
I have a few that have him still projected in the top 20, and I have seen many that look like this.

If anything his stock has gone up.  He has been balling out the past few weeks  :-\
HOGS = LIFE

99toLife

Quote from: OldTimeHawg on March 05, 2018, 10:48:30 am
If anything his stock has gone up.  He has been balling out the past few weeks  :-\

Then show where any of the Projections show that.  I'm not arguing with you, just seems strange to me. I think he has played much better.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 10:50:23 am
Then show where any of the Projections show that.  I'm not arguing with you, just seems strange to me. I think he has played much better.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

No idea what this site is.

Pig in the Pokey

He is in almost exactly the same position as R Williams (aggie) and Diallo (Kentucky) were last year, that 11-15 spot, and both of them returned for another year. Both of them are in the same spot as they were last year, 11-15, in RWs case, or LOWER, with some having Diallo in the 2nd round now.\

I REALLY hope Dan is back next year b/c he'll be 20 lbs + bigger and stronger and will have developed his outside touch a bit, with some offensive polish, and he is going to be a freak of nature. But El Dorado is El Dorado, and everything I know about Arkansas as a state and the Thunder-dome, etc, leads me to believe He Gone. i hope I am wrong.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

TNhawgfan

Well if the NBA gives him a late first round or later grade prior to combines, I think it's a definite he'll be back. At least now he can get an honest assessment before he ever has to declare or sign with an agent
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

99toLife

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 05, 2018, 11:00:32 am
Well if the NBA gives him a late first round or later grade prior to combines, I think it's a definite he'll be back. At least now he can get an honest assessment before he ever has to declare or sign with an agent

I agree, I'm starting to think the chances of him returning are much greater than they were a month ago. Just My Opinion

batmanfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 05, 2018, 10:57:11 am
He is in almost exactly the same position as R Williams (aggie) and Diallo (Kentucky) were last year, that 11-15 spot, and both of them returned for another year. Both of them are in the same spot as they were last year, 11-15, in RWs case, or LOWER, with some having Diallo in the 2nd round now.\

I REALLY hope Dan is back next year b/c he'll be 20 lbs + bigger and stronger and will have developed his outside touch a bit, with some offensive polish, and he is going to be a freak of nature. But El Dorado is El Dorado, and everything I know about Arkansas as a state and the Thunder-dome, etc, leads me to believe He Gone. i hope I am wrong.

Where are you seeing that? Most have him only as high as 17-18, some not having him in the 1st round at all.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

99toLife

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 11:06:02 am
Not sure of this site either, but similar

He isn't even listed which says they aren't factoring him into being available.  You can't really believe they are projecting him to go undrafted if he were to declare. 

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 05, 2018, 11:08:30 am
He isn't even listed which says they aren't factoring him into being available.  You can't really believe they are projecting him to go undrafted if he were to declare.

You mean like Jontay Porter at Mizzou ?  I have never seen him on any Mock draft until about a week ago.

99toLife

Not sure about this site but, I think most just predict where players would go in the draft, northing to do with available or not.

azhog10

Many don't project him to go due to having a late first/early second round grade compared to a lottery the next year. That's why they don't even consider him.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 11:14:19 am
Not sure about this site but, I think most just predict where players would go in the draft, northing to do with available or not.

Quote from: azhog10 on March 05, 2018, 11:16:57 am
Many don't project him to go due to having a late first/early second round grade compared to a lottery the next year. That's why they don't even consider him.

I know. 

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

99toLife

Quote from: azhog10 on March 05, 2018, 11:16:57 am

Then explain why someone like Jontay Porter at Missouri is at #29 on that list.

azhog10

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 11:19:22 am
Then explain why someone like Jontay Porter at Missouri is at #29 on that list.
Bc they must feel like Jontay will go. I mean he did graduate high school early only to play with brother.

99toLife

Quote from: azhog10 on March 05, 2018, 11:21:11 am
Bc they must feel like Jontay will go. I mean he did graduate high school early only to play with brother.

Really, I was shocked to see him on any Mock Draft until about a week ago. I seriously doubt most of these sites have any clue what a lot of these kids are going to do.

riccoar

Gafford would go in the first round.  I believe in the 17-20 range.  The only reason to return is to be a definite lottery pick in 2019, which I believe he would be.

Hawg Red

NBADraft.net never had him in the 2018 draft to begin with.

99toLife

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 05, 2018, 11:39:42 am
NBADraft.net never had him in the 2018 draft to begin with.

Why Not. Just Ignorant or hate Arkansas players.

Hawg Red

Quote from: batmanfan on March 05, 2018, 11:04:55 am
Where are you seeing that? Most have him only as high as 17-18, some not having him in the 1st round at all.

ESPN, which is going to be the most credible mock draft since they have acquired DraftExpress, has Gafford at #15. They should be releasing their updated mock some time this week.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 11:42:26 am
Why Not. Just Ignorant or hate Arkansas players.

Uh, doesn't have to be either one. They could just share the sentiment of many Hogs that feel he'll be a lottery pick next year (which is where they have him projected). Not uncommon for people to just never project a player like Gafford (who kinda came out of nowhere nationally) into a mock draft unless it starts to become clear that player will declare.

99toLife

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 05, 2018, 11:42:32 am
ESPN, which is going to be the most credible mock draft since they have acquired DraftExpress, has Gafford at #15. They should be releasing their updated mock some time this week.

Kind of what I thought, It just seemed he was dropping on other ones and I was curious why. 

hawg1221

Gafford needs another year in college. Yes, he has NBA athleticism, but he is very unpolished as a player. People were pumping in the sunshine after the Auburn game about how he's too good to come return next season. That talk is very premature. His stock will probably go down as post season play begins. I don't think Gafford plays well in the clutch and under pressure.  There were many games this season where I personally got nervous when he received the ball late in a close game. More often than not he would turn the ball over or shoot a bad shot. I could be wrong, but that's what my eyes are seeing. No doubt though, he's got NBA talent. He just needs to stay another year and get more confidence in his game.

99toLife

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 05, 2018, 11:56:48 am
Gafford needs another year in college. Yes, he has NBA athleticism, but he is very unpolished as a player. People were pumping in the sunshine after the Auburn game about how he's too good to come return next season. That talk is very premature. His stock will probably go down as post season play begins. I don't think Gafford plays well in the clutch and under pressure.  There were many games this season where I personally got nervous when he received the ball late in a close game. More often than not he would turn the ball over or shoot a bad shot. I could be wrong, but that's what my eyes are seeing. No doubt though, he's got NBA talent. He just needs to stay another year and get more confidence in his game.

That's my feeling also, I think we would see more of his Talent if he didn't play for MA. No knock on Mike, Kind of like When Michael Jordan played for Dean Smith.  Not Comparing Gafford to Jordan. But sometime talented players don't blossom as much under certain coaches because of style.

OldTimeHawg

No matter what anyone says, if they tell him he will go first round this year, he will leave. 

Sad but true...
HOGS = LIFE

99toLife

Quote from: OldTimeHawg on March 05, 2018, 12:09:27 pm
No matter what anyone says, if they tell him he will go first round this year, he will leave. 

Sad but true...

True, but it better be a 90% chance of going #20 or Higher from several sources.

Gerald Gilber

don't get me wrong, Mr Gafford is a dunking machine but he needs to rebound better and develop more of an offensive game. I selfishly hope he returns to work on his game.
Can we play all our games at home????

99toLife

Quote from: Gerald Gilber on March 05, 2018, 12:18:26 pm
don't get me wrong, Mr Gafford is a dunking machine but he needs to rebound better and develop more of an offensive game. I selfishly hope he returns to work on his game.
Agree totally with your post. Does he have a 3pt basket this year?, how many jump shots has he taken and made all year?  Rebounds- Definitely needs to step that up big time.

Kids got Big time talent, may just need to grow into it. 

OldTimeHawg

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 12:23:50 pm
Agree totally with your post. Does he have a 3pt basket this year?, how many jump shots has he taken and made all year?  Rebounds- Definitely needs to step that up big time.

Kids got Big time talent, may just need to grow into it.

Another sad fact about the NBA:

They like to draft based on POTENTIAL...which Gafford clearly has A LOT OF.  So despite him needing to develop more, it's not like he can't develop in the league.  And that's why it's unlikely he returns next year if he keeps playing the way he is.  Not because he hasn't developed fully, because he hasn't.  But because of the POTENTIAL he has to be a elite basketball player at the next level:  Which he can do in the NBA AND get paid for doing it...
HOGS = LIFE

99toLife

Quote from: OldTimeHawg on March 05, 2018, 12:27:25 pm
Another sad fact about the NBA:

They like to draft based on POTENTIAL...which Gafford clearly has A LOT OF.  So despite him needing to develop more, it's not like he can't develop in the league.  And that's why it's unlikely he returns next year if he keeps playing the way he is.  Not because he hasn't developed fully, because he hasn't.  But because of the POTENTIAL he has to be a elite basketball player at the next level:  Which he can do in the NBA AND get paid for doing it...

Again I Agree, if they can lock him in for a couple years at a few Million a year and work on him, Instead of waiting a year and maybe be forced to pay him 9-10 million a year for at least a couple of years because he improved yet still needs some work , That's a steal.

thebignasty

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 05, 2018, 10:35:53 am
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/daniel-gafford-arkansas-nba-draft-2018-mock-highlights-stats-scouting-report-wingspan/4cya8wpo3onq110lpforvc19c

Here's a breakdown of Gafford comparing him to current NBA centers.

"At this point, the Arkansas freshman would slot in with a late lottery grade — somewhere between picks 11 and 14 — on my draft board, but front offices should rightfully evaluate whether they can achieve similar value with another center later in the draft. Both Capela and Jordan were draft day steals, for example, with the former going to the Rockets late in the first round and the latter to the Clippers early in the second.

However, Gafford's potential rim protection is an important wrinkle that allows him to bring value to an NBA team in a way similar to Capela as an elite rim-running, rim-protecting center. Despite having less margin for error, those centers are still valuable for many teams in the league."

Huh?  Thought he was a pick and pop guy who needs space?

CiriusPorker

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 12:49:39 pm
Again I Agree, if they can lock him in for a couple years at a few Million a year and work on him, Instead of waiting a year and maybe be forced to pay him 9-10 million a year for at least a couple of years because he improved yet still needs some work , That's a steal.

Would NBA teams pass at someone slightly better who can contribute sooner to go cheaper on a guy who needs a bit of work who might not be ready for 2 seasons?

asking for a friend.

99toLife

Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 05, 2018, 01:05:28 pm
Would NBA teams pass at someone slightly better who can contribute sooner to go cheaper on a guy who needs a bit of work who might not be ready for 2 seasons?

asking for a friend.

I would think it depends on what that teams needs are and who's available. Lets say you need a Big guy first and a guard second.  And a Bad ass ready to play guard is available when it's your turn to pick? Probably go with the Guard.

Paul

Quote from: riccoar on March 05, 2018, 11:36:56 am
Gafford would go in the first round.  I believe in the 17-20 range.  The only reason to return is to be a definite lottery pick in 2019, which I believe he would be.
No one can predict where he will fall next year.  That's the issue.  Factor in no guards with experience, risk of injury,etc.    See Pokey's post above. 

GoHogs1091

That is a perplexing mock draft.

Marvin Bagley is up too high.

Mohamed Bamba should be the first player drafted.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 05, 2018, 10:38:06 am

Like a lot of folks on here, I watch a lot of NBA basketball.  I have Memphis Grizzlies season tickets for the past 8 years and when I think of Gafford on the court with the NBA players,  he just does not seem ready yet.  He doesnt have a nice midrange to outside shot.  These days, the NBA wants 6-11, long lanky players to be able to shoot the NBA three point shot and I cant see him being able to do that.

Sure, I want him to stay another year at Ark but in all honesty,  he is just not strong enough down low and cannot shoot well enough to be a stretch 4 in the NBA. He needs to develop an outside shot over the off season.  He needs to put weight on that long lanky frame.  He would benefit by staying another year, BUT all it takes is 1 team to want to take a chance on him and you cant blame him for taking the money if there was a team who wanted to take him

99toLife

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 05, 2018, 05:14:41 pm
That is a perplexing mock draft.

Marvin Bagley is up too high.

Mohamed Bamba should be the first player drafted.

And it has BOTH Porter brothers From Mizzou in the First round.  I agree.

NostraHOGus

Quote from: 99toLife on March 05, 2018, 05:56:31 pm
And it has BOTH Porter brothers From Mizzou in the First round.  I agree.

I think it just reflects what the CBS guy noted in an article today...the draft is so top heavy that a half dozen players would have been #1 last year.  He has Bamba at #1 and Gafford at #28 or so to Toronto.

I think that is a fair reflection of where Gafford could expect to be drafted if the draft were held tomorrow.  Gafford has a chance to solidify himself as a first rounder, but he could also easily fall to the second round.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-how-the-draft-would-shake-out-if-every-player-reached-his-ceiling/

99toLife

Quote from: NostraHOGus on March 05, 2018, 06:19:30 pm
I think it just reflects what the CBS guy noted in an article today...the draft is so top heavy that a half dozen players would have been #1 last year.  He has Bamba at #1 and Gafford at #28 or so to Toronto.

I think that is a fair reflection of where Gafford could expect to be drafted if the draft were held tomorrow.  Gafford has a chance to solidify himself as a first rounder, but he could also easily fall to the second round.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-how-the-draft-would-shake-out-if-every-player-reached-his-ceiling/
I'll tell you what, this is a HEAVY thing on a young persons mind and the people you trust talking in your ear, take a chance on Millions now or maybe more or less millions later.

That is scary.    Damn.