Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longest Flights

Started by Blutoblutarsky, May 12, 2015, 11:11:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Perhaps the longest I've heard or read about is a flight someone took from DFW to Sydney by way of Dubai. Can't give you a reason why the person choose to go west to east rather than going ahead and just taking the more widely flown route going the opposite way. However, one reason may have been this individual got to experience the Emirates Air, more specifically the business class portion, which along with the first class passengers get absolutely unrivaled service. Apparently many folks who do use the east route going that way stop in Dubai as a way to break up the trip.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 07, 2016, 01:09:06 pm
Perhaps the longest I've heard or read about is a flight someone took from DFW to Sydney by way of Dubai. Can't give you a reason why the person choose to go west to east rather than going ahead and just taking the more widely flown route going the opposite way. However, one reason may have been this individual got to experience the Emirates Air, more specifically the business class portion, which along with the first class passengers get absolutely unrivaled service. Apparently many folks who do use the east route going that way stop in Dubai as a way to break up the trip.

Emirates is the best flying experience I've had in terms of comfort and "wowness". Flew with them coach from BNE to AKL a couple years ago. Just a couple hour flight that I wish had been extended. Couldn't imagine getting a pod. If I go back to Australia or New Zealand, I'd consider going through Dubsi to catch Emirates. Qantas isn't bad...depending on equipment. I'd also like to go Virgin Australian as well.

Back in 2010, I went SYD - LAX on Delta and was supposed to continue to ATL before coming back to XNA. Delta gave you 38 minutes to deplane, go through customs, etc. and get back to the gate. Over 150 people missed getting back and had to reroute. I was fortunate enough to work LAX-CVG-XNA as my plan but it was  real scene at the Delta counter for several hours. Thankfully, that was the day LeBron took his talents to south beach so there was something to watch at the bar in CVG.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Inhogswetrust

June 23, 2016, 07:46:19 am #52 Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:05:23 am by Inhogswetrust
Our son routinely flies from California (usually San Fran) to Taipei, Taiwan for work where he has an office. He does that about every two to three weeks or so. Our daughter just got back from flying from Memphis to go visit him there.

P.S. Don't go to Taiwan in the summer. Hottest anywhere she's ever been she said.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 23, 2016, 07:46:19 am
P.S. Don't go to Taiwan in the summer. Hottest anywhere she's ever been she said.

She's obviously never been in the middle of a Lonoke rice field in late July...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 10:12:28 am

True. But she has been in the middle of a south tejas cow pasture then.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 10:12:28 am

Until you've been in waist high rice in the end of July-early August, you have no idea how hot it can get. The humidity coming up from the water/flood on the field is overwhelming.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 23, 2016, 05:04:54 pm
Until you've been in waist high rice in the end of July-early August, you have no idea how hot it can get. The humidity coming up from the water/flood on the field is overwhelming.

You're preachin' to the choir, buddy.  And the horse flies and water moccasins are just icing on the cake.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 05:21:53 pm
You're preachin' to the choir, buddy.  And the horse flies and water moccasins are just icing on the cake.

I did my share of time walking rice levees with a chinese backhoe slung up on my shoulder, making repairs as needed. It's a sauna. The snakes didn't bother me, but the horseflies did. I always found it interesting that mosquitoes would murder you anywhere outside the field on dry ground, but once you get in the field about 25 inside the levee they disappear. I guess there's not anything out in the field for them to pull blood from so they leave for the grass and woods.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pigture perfect

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 23, 2016, 07:50:52 pm

I did my share of time walking rice levees with a chinese backhoe slung up on my shoulder, making repairs as needed. It's a sauna. The snakes didn't bother me, but the horseflies did. I always found it interesting that mosquitoes would murder you anywhere outside the field on dry ground, but once you get in the field about 25 inside the levee they disappear. I guess there's not anything out in the field for them to pull blood from so they leave for the grass and woods.
me too bro. Then to haul out the Red Rice and coffee beans you cut made it worse.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

husker71

I just made my reservations to go to Palawan Island and Boracay in the Philippines in Oct-Nov.  MY gosh they look beautiful but I have never been to these 2 islands (google them)   longest stretch is 15 1/2 hours 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 23, 2016, 07:50:52 pm

Metal gates or orange tarp gates?  My dad didn't like the tarp gates for some reason.  I guess because they tended to tear and get holes in them. 

And yet another thread I've managed to derail.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 04:37:20 pm
Metal gates or orange tarp gates?  My dad didn't like the tarp gates for some reason.  I guess because they tended to tear and get holes in them. 

Tarp and a 2x4. Good times!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pigture perfect

Found out yesterday, that next summer I'll be taking 2 trips. One is not too far, the Mosquito coast of Honduras, but the other being Budapest Hungary. That will be another long flight. At my size anything over 8 hours is tough anymore.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 04:37:20 pm

On gumbo, metal gates, but they were some we copied off a friend in Danbury, TX. The guys that did the watering preferred the orange gates with the chains and fence posts. I always watered the zero grade fields.  ;)

RoaminHawg

Quote from: husker71 on June 27, 2016, 01:47:39 pm
I just made my reservations to go to Palawan Island and Boracay in the Philippines in Oct-Nov.  MY gosh they look beautiful but I have never been to these 2 islands (google them)   longest stretch is 15 1/2 hours 
Boracay is one of the best beaches I have been too! Enjoy!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on May 12, 2015, 11:11:17 am
Sitting here about to board a flight from OHare to South Korea, 14 hours of fun. Was curious if anyone has been on something similar or longer in the air without connecting.

I've flown to Seoul from San Fran, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Sea-Tac, and LA.
This is my non-signature signature.

oldhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 07, 2016, 01:09:06 pm

My wife and I flew Emirates from Dubai to Dallas.  They do a very good job making long trips as comfortable as possible.  We will fly them whenever we get a chance.

theFlyingHog

Longest flight I've ever been on was the redeye SEA-ATL. Not the longest by time, but I couldn't sleep a wink and had been up for 28hrs by the time we landed. Even got drunk and sat in first class. Maybe it was that redhead flight attendant who forgot to button her blouse far enough to hide her ample cleavage

husker71

just got back from Cebu    Dfw to Nrt 13 hours and then 5 hours Nrt to Cebu   brutal both coming and going

RoaminHawg

Husker 71, how was Boracay and the Phillipines? I am heading back to Johannesburg, Monday!

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

bennyl08

Flown LA-Syd (and back) twice. Pay the extra for Air Australia or something of a nice airline. Don't take the cheapest possible ticket.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

mizzouman

Went to HKG twice, once from ORD and once from DFW.  Both 16 hours but only like 14 hours coming back.

jkstock04

Australia for me as well. I was sitting in the middle of one of the big rows. It was a terrible flight.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boardon Hamsay

Did DFW to DOH(Qatar) last week at 14 hrs and 50 mins or so. Second time doing that route and returning back to DFW tomorrow. Around this time last year, I did ATL to Johannesburg(15 hrs) and the return to ATL was 17 hr and 10 minutes. That one was my longest ever and worth going the Delta premium comfort plus(sub business class)route.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.