Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

496 vs aera 560 or 500

Started by GusMcRae, July 02, 2014, 02:04:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

After using a Garmin aera 500 and 560 for almost 3 years, I recently flew in a plane equipped with a 496.  It appeared to me that the quality and clarity of the map on the 496 is noticibly better than that of the 500 and 560.  I don't know if being touchscreen takes away from the quality of the picture or what.  Anyone else ever noticed the difference?
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

the smaller aera seemsed better than my 696, but i only got my eyes on it once.

have you done any research on the new antennae that we eventually will have to go to... thinks its like $500!!!
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 02, 2014, 04:10:35 pm
the smaller aera seemsed better than my 696, but i only got my eyes on it once.

have you done any research on the new antennae that we eventually will have to go to... thinks its like $500!!!

496 screen is about the same size, clarity just seemed way better,,, maybe it's just from having fingers all over the touch screen. 

Have not checked into the antennae.

Speaking of antennae, when doing approaches at KSPS, I had some FM radio interference fading in and out.  CFII said that the first thing he would do is change out the ELT antennae and see if that fixed it,,, cheapest and most common thing that fixes that.  However, saw a thread on the red-board that eluded to a certain mfg of ELTs having this very problem,,, I need to check and see if mine is that mfg,,, may be replacing an ELT before long..... :(
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?