Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flying to KCLL

Started by GusMcRae, June 03, 2014, 01:25:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Planning to fly to Aggieland Friday.  Taking my step son and possibly another boy to a football camp for the weekend. 
First time I have flown into Easterwood. 
Maybe I can get my feet wet flying into CLL before going back for a busy home game weekend. 
Anyone flown into Easterwood?
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

i have not, but it looks fun. i am guessing itll be pretty tame since there is no ball game... the few times i have been on with Houston they move pretty quick.

look forward to your PIREP.

safe travels.

You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

I have been trying to get out to the airport and fly my 182 around a little bit more before this trip tomorrow since re-installing the repaired DG.  It just hasn't worked out, have had too many irons in the fire, etc,,,, until this AM.  Finally got out there kinda early before it got hot and flew around the county for about an hour.  Just by chance, I decided to kick on the auto-pilot for a few minutes (normally don't do that on just a trek around the county like that), and it was dead.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I had not hooked the AP wire connection back into the back of the DG, which runs off of the heading bug.  I was so concerned about checking the suction issue out that I had forgotten to hook the AP connector back up.  So, I stood on my head basically because I didn't want to take the seat out again, found the wire right where I had left it, ;).  So I'm glad I got that checked out before heading out tomorrow.  I would have been missing my AP on that 2 hour plus XC flight. 

WX looks fine for the trip down, and good down there for departure, but I may have to time it right to dodge some WX here on Sunday. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on June 05, 2014, 10:47:27 am
I have been trying to get out to the airport and fly my 182 around a little bit more before this trip tomorrow since re-installing the repaired DG.  It just hasn't worked out, have had too many irons in the fire, etc,,,, until this AM.  Finally got out there kinda early before it got hot and flew around the county for about an hour.  Just by chance, I decided to kick on the auto-pilot for a few minutes (normally don't do that on just a trek around the county like that), and it was dead.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I had not hooked the AP wire connection back into the back of the DG, which runs off of the heading bug.  I was so concerned about checking the suction issue out that I had forgotten to hook the AP connector back up.  So, I stood on my head basically because I didn't want to take the seat out again, found the wire right where I had left it, ;).  So I'm glad I got that checked out before heading out tomorrow.  I would have been missing my AP on that 2 hour plus XC flight. 

WX looks fine for the trip down, and good down there for departure, but I may have to time it right to dodge some WX here on Sunday. 

i dont feel sorry for you ;D

:says guy with no autopilot"

;D ;D ;D
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

I have been in to Easterwood before.  It's not that bad with plenty of runway and ramp space.  The Center frequencies can start to get busy because there are a lot of airports and a lot of people getting in to the Class B structure.  Other than that I never had a problem with the FBO and there were approaches to every runway.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

GusMcRae

Good flight, made it fine, weather was good, Easterwood was not busy at all so it was good to get my maiden voyage into there on a quiet day. Was a lingering broken layer I had to get down through and under.  A&M has a private airport bigger than Easterwood out to the Northwest only 7 miles from Easterwood.  I can see how it would be very easy to come in from the North and say "oh yeah, there it is".  I saw it just after I got down under the layer and thought for a second it was Easterwood. I had seen it while planning my flight a few days ago so I was prepared to not to be fooled, or only fooled for a second.
Kyle Field reconstruction is in full force and honestly, there's a ton of work to be done before the home opener. I don't see how it will be finished.

[attachment deleted by admin]

GusMcRae

Made it back just fine as well.  Timed my departure for the best window to avoid wx at home for the return.  Probably the most comfortable approach and departure I've experienced at a towered airport.  Maybe it is just getting more familiar to me, although I haven't been to that many towered facilities. 

When I got home, my CFII was in the pattern with another student, but was about to finish up.  So, after a short break from the 2 hour and 20 min flight home, I climbed back in with him and got 2 hours under the hood.  VOR approaches at CDS, 1 GPS approach at CDS, and then back to F05 for a GPS approach. 
I've got to stick with it and get some repitition in.  I think I have more trouble figuring out how to punch it in my 430, and understanding the info on the approach plates than anything. 
He gave me homework,,,, study the apporach plates that we flew yesterday,,, and this afternoon, we will go back and fly the exact same approaches we did yesterday. 

I have a few more pictures to post of the KCLL trip later.