Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mx here, mx there, mx everywhere

Started by gotyacovered, April 16, 2014, 05:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

quick story, can provide more details later... yesterday i was giving a ride to a friend picking up his ride out of a 100hour, but we had to stop by Newport for a minute. on my decent into M19 i experienced engine roughness and a dead CHT reading/gauge. i didnt need to apply any power to make the field, so i didnt. on roll out i did a 'rolling mag check' and everything was fine. park, handle our business and crank back up. get to runup and again expereience engine roughness (not severe, but def moderate). in short i had a ring stick (on the cylinder with the CHT probe) and the spark plugs got wet enough (or not hot enough) depending on how you look at it to get extreme roughness and a dead cylinder. a bill and a couple hours later we headed to mtn view for our original mission.

i arrive and depart out of 7M2 and just over Clinton i hear the following:

memphis center do you have a cessna 182 on VFR advisories N42653? (i immediately perk up b/c i can hear the distress in my friends voice). i was waiting on him to get on for his clearance, not whatever was going on...

memphis center: Roger

memphis center will you please advise 653 to return to 7M2? i acknowledge to memphis that i heard the transmission and that i would be reversing course and monitoring the unicom. over the next few mins i can (barely) hear my friend make his base to final call and him requesting via unicom for the mechanic to return to the field (he had a handheld) all the while i can hear the stress in his voice. 

upon my return i get the story, basically just as he reached for the gear switch his right mag failed and he experienced a partial loss of power in his right engine, he was able to climb, clean up and immediately get back in the pattern for a safe landing.

pretty shocking seeing that the mech ran it up prior to our arrival and checked it, and my friend did a very thorough post maintenance pre-flight/run up and the thing still failed.

now we get to go pick her up Friday. hope for better luck ;D
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Glad everyone is ok. 

What was the twin in the shop for?
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 17, 2014, 08:02:38 am
Glad everyone is ok. 

What was the twin in the shop for?

100 hour (and now a new mag) ;D

Pistol Pete

My my my! A rough engine in a twin, would certainly put stress in my voice too! I'm glad everything worked out...

GusMcRae

Gotya, sounds like you need to just go ahead and schedule the surgery before you have to spend any more on keeping 653's current tired engine going.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 18, 2014, 09:11:25 am
Gotya, sounds like you need to just go ahead and schedule the surgery before you have to spend any more on keeping 653's current tired engine going.

Will update thread soon.... But yep, nail on head.