Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warbird owner/operators in Arkansas?

Started by Warbirdhog, November 23, 2013, 08:45:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbirdhog

Are there any warbird owner/operators in Arkansas?  My reason for asking is this. My wife and I talk about moving back but work is the key factor. I am an A&P and work in the warbird mx & restoration field and would prefer to stay in it.  I thought this might be a good place to check to see if anyone here is involved or knows of anyone in Arkansas who is.

Thanks

Warbirdhog

Flying Razorback

I believe Gus McRae (poster here) in northeast Texas knows of some Warbird operators out of his FBO.  He may be able to ask around and get you some names.

Warbirds....  Awesome...  I wish I could find a vector in life that would allow me to fly them.  If I could get ahold of a C-47 I'd be in heaven.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

Warbirdhog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on November 23, 2013, 10:59:35 am
I believe Gus McRae (poster here) in northeast Texas knows of some Warbird operators out of his FBO.  He may be able to ask around and get you some names.

Warbirds....  Awesome...  I wish I could find a vector in life that would allow me to fly them.  If I could get ahold of a C-47 I'd be in heaven.

Thanks, would be appreciated.  A C-47, sounds like you like the big birds. Worked on a couple of DC-3's last summer.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Warbirdhog on November 23, 2013, 11:51:20 am
Thanks, would be appreciated.  A C-47, sounds like you like the big birds. Worked on a couple of DC-3's last summer.

Love them.  There are a few planes that are beautiful and timeless, the DC-3/C-47 is one of them.

john c

For years, where I live, DC-3s, on their nightly mail delivery flight to Memphis, flew pretty much right over my house as they climbed to cruise.  Every night, between 10:30 and 11:00 I looked forward to hearing those distinct engines rumbling overhead.  Of course, if the weather was good you had to go outside and watch and listen and appreciate.

Then there was that story a flight instructor that flew the Burma Hump used to tell about hauling an elephant in a DC-3 and it had too much tether, allowing it to move back and forth enough to change the CG back and forth.  That surely wasn't true but it was a great story.

Hawgon

I watched a DC-3 make a big circle over my house the other day.  There are still hundreds of them in use around the world.  It shouldn't be too hard to "get your hands on one" if you really wanted to bad enough.

Pistol Pete

May want to check at Pine Bluff. Years ago there was a hangar where they worked on war birds, not sure what's there now.

Warbirdhog

Quote from: Pistol Pete on November 24, 2013, 03:03:46 pm
May want to check at Pine Bluff. Years ago there was a hangar where they worked on war birds, not sure what's there now.

Was a CAF bunch down there long time back, don't know if they are still active or not. I'm originally from Searcy and most of our kids are in the White Co. area except the oldest who is in Gentry. Prefer the North central/NW areas of the state so that's where we would look to resettle. May have to look into opening my own hangar to make it happen if it come to that.

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on November 23, 2013, 02:44:49 pm

Love them.  There are a few planes that are beautiful and timeless, the DC-3/C-47 is one of them.

One word of caution on the DC-3/C-47's. Should you get to the point examine the AD compliance very very closely. There are some mods and inspections that require the wings off, make sure they have been done or are not close. Would be a nasty & expensive surprise.

pigture perfect

I think there are some C-7 Carabou's in the Branson/ Springfield Mo. area. Or at least there used to be. That's as close as I know of.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bvillepig

I know it is not Arkansas but there is a chapter in Tulsa.

PEtrader

Jim Walton's family have a bunch older planes over here in Bentonville.  From what I have heard they are avid pilots.  You could probably just work for them and have them buy a couple of old birds a year for you to re do for them.

On a bit more serious note, I don't know of any chapters up here in NWA. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Warbirdhog

Problem with CAF chapters is that they usually run on volunteers. Not to retirement yet so anything will still have to be a paying job.
  I'm really surprised that there is little if any warbird activity in Arkansas considering that almost every state surrounding it has some from moderate to active. Arkansas might be a good place to open a shop to cater to transient ac flying through.

Oh yeah a question. Is there a post number cutoff where the verification process on posting goes away or is that permanent?

Flying Razorback

That's a good idea.  You may be able to snoop around the internet and see where people transit through here.  Or set up shop in central Arkansas and you can travel to all the airports around the state in about an equal radius.  Then you could be an on call emergency maintenance for anyone that breaks.

I tell you though, I'd love to see more warbirds in the skies around the state.

And yes, the post verification ends soon.  It can't be too many more posts.

Warbirdhog

Well, my wife just showed me a house on the north side of I40 at Morrilton! And I haven't said a word lately about this.

I actually have toyed with the idea of a mobile service of sorts. Basing out of a hangar in the central area while being available to transient and assistance to warbirds having to put down elsewhere in the vicinity. Would really like to acquire a restoration project if possible.

Thanks for the word on the verification going away, just need to post more I guess!

GusMcRae

The place I've sent the pics from is at BKD, not really close to Arkansas.  However, they might be a good resource for some work that they might want to farm out to someone else.  They seem to have a hangar full every time I'm there, and it's a large hangar.
Ezell Avioinics is the shop I use and I believe the Ezell family is also who owns the warbird repair place as well.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?