Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&P frustrations

Started by GusMcRae, November 18, 2013, 10:29:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

I've made another discovery of my former A&P I've been using for my annual.  Some of you may recall that I had to replace a cylinder at my 2012 annual, and I used the same A&P again this year because I wanted them to make good on an oil leack that developed in the neighborhood of that replaced cylinder.  Which turned out to be a push rod tube seal not seated good on that cylinder. 

Now, in trying to resolve an apparent induction leak after some recent work on the opposite side of the engine from where the work was done in 2012, I've discovered that the exhaust manifold on the side that was worked on in 2012 is only being held by 4 nuts on the flange of the middle cyl.  8 nuts completely missing!  This is after they did the work in 2012, and then did the 2013 annual which they finished up in August. 

For any future work I have done on my plane by any A&P, I will not allow the cowling to go back on before I have a chance to look at the work with my own eyes.   And if at all possible, I will do owner assist from now on. 
I have learned so much from this entire ordeal.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

That sucks.  I've always thought that when I get older and get more time I might get in to GA more and I'd like to study A&P for myself.  However, I'd always prefer to be looking at something with someone else to see the things I miss or at least double the brain power.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Warbirdhog

Gus, that sounds unfortunately more like a pencil whipping instead of an annual. Coupled with some lazy mx. I started out in GA and I remember a fellow bringing his 140 into the shop saying he could smell fumes. We pulled it in and pulled the heat muff to find a rotted exhaust inside. The fellow said it had been annualed a few months earlier. Classic pencil whipping that almost killed someone.  No excuse for that, none at all.