Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi

Started by philiphog, April 22, 2017, 08:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudgepork

Congratulations.  An early Christmas

hoglady

AB is having a stellar day so far today.
3 hit game with 2 doubles / 3 RBI's.
End of the 7th - 6-1 Sox.

I love when I have a chance to catch a day game on TV.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

Quote from: hoglady on September 14, 2017, 03:25:37 pm
AB is having a stellar day so far today.
3 hit game with 2 doubles / 3 RBI's.
End of the 7th - 6-1 Sox.

I love when I have a chance to catch a day game on TV.

Red Sox were off on Monday. Benintendi was further rested on Tuesday. Wednesday he went 2-4 with 2 doubles and finished 3-4 today with 2 doubles. Average climbed back to .280.

Hogs49ers

Benintendi just hit a 2 run single to go up 10-8 in the top of the 11th inning against Baltimore.  He is so clutch!  He is hitting over .360 with RISP this year.
SCREW Vandy!

hoglady

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 18, 2017, 10:26:49 pm
Benintendi just hit a 2 run single to go up 10-8 in the top of the 11th inning against Baltimore.  He is so clutch!  He is hitting over .360 with RISP this year.

Irritated last night my MLB network was pixilated most of the night and I got the Yankees/ Minn instead of the Red Sox.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

JHicks3636

Benintendi hits his 20th homerun tonight in a pinch hitting role. He has 19 stolen bases on the year and needs 1 more in the final 6 games to join the 20-20 Club on the year.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: JHicks3636 on September 25, 2017, 09:06:19 pm
Benintendi hits his 20th homerun tonight in a pinch hitting role. He has 19 stolen bases on the year and needs 1 more in the final 6 games to join the 20-20 Club on the year.

That is awesome! Only 1 AB tonight too.  Young, the guy that filled in for him at LF was 0/4 - doubt they take him out again the rest of the season.

Do you know how many guys are usually in the 20/20 club?  I cannot imagine too many.
SCREW Vandy!

JHicks3636

September 25, 2017, 11:05:07 pm #207 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:19:25 pm by JHicks3636
Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 25, 2017, 10:20:40 pm
That is awesome! Only 1 AB tonight too.  Young, the guy that filled in for him at LF was 0/4 - doubt they take him out again the rest of the season.

Do you know how many guys are usually in the 20/20 club?  I cannot imagine too many.

In 2016, 9 players did it. In 2015, 4 did it and 5 did it in 2014. Thus far in 2017, 5 have done it.

Hogs49ers

That is legit!  I bet he would be considered in the top 25-50ish most valuable players this year.
SCREW Vandy!

jbcarol

Went to Cincinnati last weekend to see him play.  He brought out the loyal local fans in their Red Sox gear.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hoglady

Quote from: jbcarol on September 27, 2017, 05:03:33 am
Went to Cincinnati last weekend to see him play.  He brought out the loyal local fans in their Red Sox gear.

You lucky dog.
I bet that was fun.

hoglady

Worried about my Red Sox winning the division right now - guess I've watched too many Sept collapses.
Their 4 game lead over the Yankees has now been cut to 2 with 5 games left.
The most bothersome is their last 4 games are against the Astros.

311Hog

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2017, 08:04:24 am
Worried about my Red Sox winning the division right now - guess I've watched too many Sept collapses.

Hog vs hog ! =)

JHicks3636

They are actually 3 up with 5 to play but I understand how you feel. Sox finish with 4 games against Houston which won't be easy.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on September 27, 2017, 05:47:33 pm
They are actually 3 up with 5 to play but I understand how you feel. Sox finish with 4 games against Houston which won't be easy.

Thanks - I thought the loss last night cut their lead to 2.
Of course, they gave up 3 runs in the first inning tonight and currently down 3-1 bottom of the 2nd.

JHicks3636

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2017, 06:42:54 pm
Thanks - I thought the loss last night cut their lead to 2.
Of course, they gave up 3 runs in the first inning tonight and currently down 3-1 bottom of the 2nd.

And it was Benintendi that singled and ultimately scored the run.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on September 27, 2017, 06:47:12 pm
And it was Benintendi that singled and ultimately scored the run.

They won tonight and the Yankees also won.
So they go into that 4 game series with the Astros in decent shape.
I do not want a playoff game on Monday with the Yankees for the division - I've suffered through enough of that in my lifetime.

JHicks3636

Benintendi joins the 20/20 Club with a steal of 3rd base in today's game. Boston has two 20/20 guys on the year now.

jbcarol

Went with David Gray of all people.  DId not get to see much of the game.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

JHicks3636

Boston finally wins a game to clinch the Division Championship. They need to wake up before the play-offs begin.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on September 30, 2017, 03:33:39 pm
Boston finally wins a game to clinch the Division Championship. They need to wake up before the play-offs begin.

No kidding.
They've had some really poor pitching over the last week or so.
And then last night could not get a key hit.
But their pitching will be their downfall in the playoffs if they don't shore it up.

JHicks3636

Just a note on Benintendi's 20/20 season. At age 23 he is the youngest left-fielder to accomplish the feat since Barry Bonds did it in 1987.

hoglady

Boston has to be just thrilled with the play of Benintendi this year.
Good at the plate, good in the field and speed on the bases.
Pretty much carried them through a stretch in August.
Had a bad July, but pretty steady before and has been very good after.
Without Judge and his absolutely astonishing HR numbers, Beni would be ROY.

JHicks3636

Most of the Boston regular starters including Benintendi got the day off for a little extra rest before starting the playoffs. First game of the Boston-Houston play-off series will be tough on Hog fans as Dallas Keuchel will be starting on the mound for Houston as Benintendi goes in left for the BoSox.

sickboy

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 01, 2017, 10:53:09 am
Just a note on Benintendi's 20/20 season. At age 23 he is the youngest left-fielder to accomplish the feat since Barry Bonds did it in 1987.

Pretty cool. Isn't he the first rookie to do so since Trout too? I feel like I heard that. Either way, Beni is going to have a bright major league career.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 01, 2017, 04:01:28 pm
Most of the Boston regular starters including Benintendi got the day off for a little extra rest before starting the playoffs. First game of the Boston-Houston play-off series will be tough on Hog fans as Dallas Keuchel will be starting on the mound for Houston as Benintendi goes in left for the BoSox.

I hate that the Astros are no longer in the National League.
Red Sox are my team - I will be rooting for them.
But I think the Astros have superior pitching - so it'll be a tough series for the Sox to win.

Growing up in North Louisiana the closest MLB team was the Astros - so we drove to the old Astrodome a couple of times every summer to watch the Astros. I will be rooting for them if they take down the Red Sox.

JHicks3636

I would point out that Benintendi was the ONLY rookie this year to steal at least 20 bases.

onebadrubi

A Boston Twitter acocount put out a funny tweet, attached, with the caption, dombrowski, porcelain, someone's kid, and Pomeranz.  Hahaha. Obviously they are messing with benny

TexArkHogFan

One of the Boston beat writers who had a vote told Benentendi that he voted for Judge as rookie of the year.  AB replied, "I don't blame you, I would have too."
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

JHicks3636

It now appears that Keuchel will go in Game 2 for Houston with Verlander going in Game 1.

Bogghawg

Two former Hogs facing each other in the first inning of game 2.  Benintendi grounds into a fielder's choicend the Stros get the lead off runner.  I'd call that a draw.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

WB2

Benintendi just hit a two run home run off of Verlander for Boston to take a lead 3-2 lead in the bottom of the 5th against the Astros in the fourth game of the ALDS.
When you hit homeruns, you don't have to run as hard.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wisco Pig

Damn, I missed it.

Oh, well, there's always SportsCenter.

[A little pig icon would go here, but it's no longer available.  Yet, the vomiting blue-faced guy lives on.]

hoglady

Quote from: WB2 on October 09, 2017, 02:26:38 pm
Benintendi just hit a two run home run off of Verlander for Boston to take a lead 3-2 lead in the bottom of the 5th against the Astros in the fourth game of the ALDS.

It was a beauty wasn't it.
Gave me chills watching it and then the roar of the Fenway faithful was magnificent.

bville_hog

Their pitching really let them down...sucks, he should of been the hero today and didn't even get  a chance to bat in the 9th :-(.

hoglady

Quote from: bville_hog on October 09, 2017, 07:10:55 pm
Their pitching really let them down...sucks, he should of been the hero today and didn't even get  a chance to bat in the 9th :-(.

I knew it would.
Hope the Sox address some of their pitching needs in the off season.

I'll be pulling for the Astros for the duration.
Would love to see them win it all.

Go Astros!!!

southarkhog06

Quote from: hoglady on October 09, 2017, 07:23:54 pm
I knew it would.
Hope the Sox address some of their pitching needs in the off season.

I'll be pulling for the Astros for the duration.
Would love to see them win it all.

Go Astros!!!
At some point you have to look inwards, the arm talent is there in droves and yet year after year Sox fans say "if only our pitching didn't let us down". That being said, the Astros have the best lineup in baseball this year, a lot of teams pitching have let them down against Houston this year.

hoglady

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 11, 2017, 02:05:37 am
At some point you have to look inwards, the arm talent is there in droves and yet year after year Sox fans say "if only our pitching didn't let us down". That being said, the Astros have the best lineup in baseball this year, a lot of teams pitching have let them down against Houston this year.

The pitching staff gave up 10 runs in Games 1 and 2.
And they gave up a lot of those early in the games.
That is a pitching issue - giving up 10 runs in back to back games sends you home in the playoffs.

Wisco Pig

Benintendi will have a new manager next season.  ESPN et al. are reporting that John Farrell has been sacked.

southarkhog06

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 08:11:31 am
The pitching staff gave up 10 runs in Games 1 and 2.
And they gave up a lot of those early in the games.
That is a pitching issue - giving up 10 runs in back to back games sends you home in the playoffs.
yes but pitching has been letting the Sox down since the '13 world series win. Unless you think Sale, Price, Fister, Porcello, Pomeranz and Kimbrell aren't talented enough to win with.

hoglady

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 11, 2017, 08:46:04 am
yes but pitching has been letting the Sox down since the '13 world series win. Unless you think Sale, Price, Fister, Porcello, Pomeranz and Kimbrell aren't talented enough to win with.

Well - they weren't good enough this year.
Boston needs more power in the line up.

Boston was trending down before the playoffs ever started - pitching and hitting.
They really barely hung on to win the AL East.

southarkhog06

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 10:02:34 am

Boston was trending down before the playoffs ever started - pitching and hitting.
I don't disagree with you, but were they not good enough because they lack talent or because there is an organizational issue? The front office seems to somewhat agree with me since they fired the manager.

hoglady

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 12, 2017, 12:55:19 am
I don't disagree with you, but were they not good enough because they lack talent or because there is an organizational issue? The front office seems to somewhat agree with me since they fired the manager.

I get what you're saying and I don't disagree.
But there's also some problems in Beantown between the fans and the team / which is probably concerning to management.
I was reading an article the other day that "the fans" do not like this team. And if changes aren't made next year you could see a Fenway with 18,000 fans in the seats.
Most of the dissention apparently surrounds David Price and it's believed he's a negative influence on the rest of the team.

Here's another article on the subject.
http://www.masslive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/10/red_sox_fans_struggle_to_like.html

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 10:02:34 am

They were 16-8 to finish the regular season, I would not necessarily say they were trending down, I feel like their style makes them for one of the more consistent teams in baseball.

Everyone always wants to pick a part a team after they do not finish/ win the World Series (basically every team but 1), but I think people forget how much variance is in baseball and in a single series during postseason play, anything can happen.  So they lost to a great team, but made the final 8 and had a great overall season.  Pretty much the same thing with the Arkansas Razorbacks this last year.

No need to reinvent the wheel here, they are a young team that will definitely continue to get better and will be a contender for many years to come.
SCREW Vandy!

Wisco Pig

Sox fans have always been nuts (not you, hoglady -- you know your stuff), and the three championships seem to have made them crazier for even more success.  It doesn't help at all that the hated Yankees advanced last night.

The Red Sox have some problems, but any sports franchise other than Golden State does.  The Sox will hire a decent manager, they'll find some more home-run power, and they should be good to go for 2018.

hoglady

Quote from: Wisco Pig on October 12, 2017, 11:53:04 am
Sox fans have always been nuts (not you, hoglady -- you know your stuff), and the three championships seem to have made them crazier for even more success.  It doesn't help at all that the hated Yankees advanced last night.

The Red Sox have some problems, but any sports franchise other than Golden State does.  The Sox will hire a decent manager, they'll find some more home-run power, and they should be good to go for 2018.

Us old-time Red Sox fans - appreciate every single good thing since 2004.
Because we remember the decades of heartbreak.
You've got lots of people who "became" Sox fans during the 2004 WS and after - that only know success
and expect it every year.

I am now looking forward to rooting against the Yankees the rest of the way.
That is almost as much fun as rooting for the Red Sox.

hoglady

Quote from: Hogs49ers on October 12, 2017, 11:09:42 am
They were 16-8 to finish the regular season, I would not necessarily say they were trending down, I feel like their style makes them for one of the more consistent teams in baseball.

Everyone always wants to pick a part a team after they do not finish/ win the World Series (basically every team but 1), but I think people forget how much variance is in baseball and in a single series during postseason play, anything can happen.  So they lost to a great team, but made the final 8 and had a great overall season.  Pretty much the same thing with the Arkansas Razorbacks this last year.

No need to reinvent the wheel here, they are a young team that will definitely continue to get better and will be a contender for many years to come.

I'm not too disappointed with their season at all and I expected the loss to the Astros.
I do hope they get control of whatever problems there are in the locker room / and smooth over the problems between the team and the fans.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2017, 12:23:31 pm
You've got lots of people who "became" Sox fans during the 2004 WS and after - that only know success
and expect it every year.

True.  There's always the bandwagon bunch.  Plus, I was in Boston recently and was astonished at the number of young people until I remembered how many colleges are in and around the city.  A good number of those kids must become Sox fans, and they don't necessarily know the way things used to be.

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2017, 12:23:31 pmI am now looking forward to rooting against the Yankees the rest of the way.
That is almost as much fun as rooting for the Red Sox.

Ha.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2017, 12:26:56 pm
I'm not too disappointed with their season at all and I expected the loss to the Astros.
I do hope they get control of whatever problems there are in the locker room / and smooth over the problems between the team and the fans.

Me too, and as a fan on the outside, I had no idea of some of the problems you mentioned.  I guess it truly is universal that every fanbase starts moving the goalposts (or foul pole) once their team starts winning! 

I remember when people were pissed here at Arkansas when Petrino was winning 10-11 games a year, but were questioning things because we could not ever beat Bama.  Oh how things have changed...

Expectations are a funny thing.
SCREW Vandy!