Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

v SC

Started by flippinhogmana, January 24, 2018, 06:26:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Mn previews SC

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/neighbors-previews-south-carolina/

He says a good bit about how much the team misses DC.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

game is at an earlier start time Thursday (5:30) and will be televised on SEC tv
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Will we see Cosper tonight?  I sort of hope we dont.  I dont think it will decide the game for us, but you never know.  There should be no way we even have a chance to beat the defending national champions at their place with their star back in full song.

It will be an emotional lift for our players and coaches when Devin returns, and she has resumed practicing in a limited fashion the last few days, but I would sort of rather give her until Monday's game against Kentucky at home to see that effect.  I think it will (her absence) force the other players to continue to grow, and it will give more playing time (especially against Aja Wilson) for players like Macy Weaver.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 25, 2018, 11:14:44 am
Will we see Cosper tonight?  I sort of hope we dont.  I dont think it will decide the game for us, but you never know.  There should be no way we even have a chance to beat the defending national champions at their place with their star back in full song.

It will be an emotional lift for our players and coaches when Devin returns, and she has resumed practicing in a limited fashion the last few days, but I would sort of rather give her until Monday's game against Kentucky at home to see that effect.  I think it will (her absence) force the other players to continue to grow, and it will give more playing time (especially against Aja Wilson) for players like Macy Weaver.
I agree except it might be nice to give her maybe 5 - 10 minutes - just to give her confidence back.

flippinhogmana

looks like she is a go and you are right coach.

game on and cosper is starting

flippinhogmana

no surprise sc with the tip, and sc ahead with a score inside, 2-0,

Williams misses frm the outside on the ohter end, sc hits again, 4-0
Miason hits from the ft line, 4-2
sc misses their third possession
Williams fouls on the other end after monk misses
Wilson scores her fourth point and it 6-2
mason misses and sc scores again on the other end, 8-2
monk scores on a driving layup, 8-4

flippinhogmana

sc misses, monk misses on the other end, sc scores again inside (a reoccurring theme we might hear all night) 10-4
zimmer misses, sc doesn't 12-4
we miss, sc doesn't 14-4 with 4:33 to go
a foul on us inside and now to the media time out with that score

flippinhogmana

SC is playing Jennings and willson (two 6-5 girls) at the same time. And we just can even contest their shots or board against them

wilson at the line, hits the and one, 17-4
hogs hit a jumper from the other end 17-6
sc hits a three, 20-6
hogs miss two straight trips down the court and SC is not hitting from the outside as well, 22-6 at 2:25 to go first quart

flippinhogmana

swenson in with thomas and rnb, thomas blocked inside
wilson offensive board over thomas, 24-6
hogs turn it over, rnb steal it and drives the floor, 24-misses as she runs into wilson
hogs foul on the other end, sc makes one of two, cosper back in (she is limping slightly as she was to start)
swinson drives inside and is blocked wilson with an offensive foul on the other end, and the first quarter is over, 25-6

ladybackfan

HOLY JESUS...
We need some HEIGHT.

flippinhogmana

sc has a lousy live stats boards, mason with four, monk with two

flippinhogmana

cosper hasnt put up a shot yet, that wont stay that way long i dont think
thomas drives inside on wilson and misses to start the quarter
jennings pushes cosper on the other end
thomas called for a moving scree
cosper playing wind on d and not a lot of mobility
hogs miss a three, sc throws it out of bounds
with two gone in the quarter is 28-6
swson misses a three, tied up on the board, ball to sc
williams with a board on an sc outside shot, cosper out, zimmer in
mason with another runner in the lane, 28-8

flippinhogmana

sc with a three to answer 31-8
swenson with an airball (guarded very closesly at the shot clock)
sc with a miss nearly an offensive board and out of bounds
monk with a stop and pop from the arc, miss
williams fouls on the missed outside shot and rebound
side out sc, then an airball from the outside
travel on zimmer
wilson scores inside, 33-8
thomas blocked inside

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ladybackfan on January 25, 2018, 05:52:48 pm
HOLY JESUS...
We need some HEIGHT.
its bad enough playing against one 6-5 girl, but two is bad

flippinhogmana

monk and zimmer have two fouls
zimmer with a driving jumpt shot 33-10
wilson with a second chance bucket, 35-10
hogs turn if over on the other end
wilson hits from near the arc 37-10
hogs miss again,
sc drives mises but board, wilson misses for a change and thomas boards
monk drives finger rolls but misses
wilson scores on the other end, wilosn coast to coast,AND ONE, 40-10
HOGS MISS, SCRUNS, MISSES BUT boards, inside to wilson who misses
monk drives and hits, 40-12

flippinhogmana

less than a minute to go in the half, weaver in sc hits a three 43-12
monk misses but weaver get an offensive rebound, and is fouled, side out
spangler in, mason misses, spangler fouls, sc to the line misses the first, and hits the second, 44-12
mson misses a three, and we are to the half

stout was also in at the end and picked up a foul

Dr. Starcs

This is embarrassing.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

monk drives misses, get the board and copse rmisses from the outside
sc doesnt 46-12, monk misses
sc misses a three and williams boards, coopser misses a three from the corner
wilson misses but jenings boards and scores 48-12
well I think I have had enough for the rest of the game, hogs just cant contend with two 6-5 girls at the same time

flippinhogmana

hogs starting to play now, monk with three buckets, and cosper with a three, but sc is scoring too
it probably good to give cosper some minutes in this game but she is nowhere near at game form yet, not much mobility.
63-21 with 4:10 to go in the quarter
sc at the line, hits the first, and misses the second, 64-21
macy weaver and swinson in, monk dishes to weaver who scores a shot jumper, 64-23
hogs foul (mason) on the other end, sc already in the penalty, hits the first, and misses the second dc with the oard
dc drives but missses
sc misses on the other end

flippinhogmana

weaver misses on a give and go
sc scores again inside, swenson hits a three, 69-26
hogs foul, sc at the line, hits the second and its 70-26
mason hits on the other end, 70-28
sc with an offensive foul
weaver scores off a feed from zimmer
70-30 with sc at the line, makes the first, and misses the second, swinson with the board
mason misses but gets her own board and stick it back, 71-32

flippinhogmana

end of the quarter, last four minutes it was stout, swinson, mason, rnb and zimmer

flippinhogmana

its painful, but I can see the hogs growing up this last quarter none the less
weaver didnt score twice against scrubs either

flippinhogmana

i would tell you guys a little bit more about stats but sc has a perfectly lousy stat board as I alluded to earlier
start of the 4th
sc with the ball
weaver still in
offesnive foul
stout still in as well, and swinson (and rnb) weaver scores inside again 71-34

flippinhogmana

she is fouled and hits the and one 71-35, macy with seven pts
swinson giving up four inches fouls jennings who scores and to the line, misses mason boards, 73-35 stout turns it over
(rnb went one way, and then cut back, stout threw it where she thought she was cutting)
wilson scores inside 75-38
hogs miss and wilson is fouled on a three point shot
misses the first, hits the second, and hits the third 77-35
hogs turn it over, and a foul on weaver trying to take the charge

flippinhogmana

sc misses the first and weaver, stout, and rnb come out, monk, thomas spangler and cosper come in, monk with the drive and score 78-37
wilson scores again at the other end
swinson fouled and at the line, misses the first, hits the second, on a three pointer) hits the third,

flippinhogmana

6:27 to go swinson misses follows gets her board, blocked, thomas rebounds, swinson drives and is fouled, hits one of two, 80-40
sc starters still in, foul on hogs, sc to the line, hits both 82-40
spangler hustling
turns it over but then gets it back, monk misses but thomas boards and then turns it over
sc drives and gets the foul call, will be back to the line
4:56 to go in the game and sc back to the line when play resumes.

flippinhogmana

right now monk with 12, mason with ten, macy weaver with 7, and swinson with six, cosper with three and zimmer with two is the scoring

flippinhogmana

sc at the line, hits the first, and the second 85-40

flippinhogmana

hogs fouled, hogs to the line DC to the line, misses the first, and the second
refs missed a doubvle dribbvle on sc
less that four to go
sc misses from the outside but spangler fumbles the board away
swinson finally comes up with the ball but the hogs rturn the favor on the other end
wilson scores inside again (why is she still in?)

flippinhogmana

Weaver going back in (if nothing else we might have seen a growth step for her tonight)

flippinhogmana

2:19 to go
actually we have played them fairly even in the second half
weaver,stout, thomas, monk and zimmer in

flippinhogmana

sc still has their starters in
and turn it over
mcclure in and turns it over driblles it off her foot, weaver blocks the shot on the layup
sc (fouled by mcclure) hits the first and misses the second
mcclure drives and the ball out of bounds to the hogs
1:26 left
weaver gets the offesive board off a thomas miss
eaver to the line and misses the first, misses the second as well
weaver blocks a shot inside again
hogs turne it over, sc fouled on the other end
less than thirty to go, sc hits both 90-40, spandgler blocked

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

in other action tonight Kentucky at home leads bama by ten near the end of the third quarter
mizzou at Georgia trails by four at the same juncture
ole miss and tenner at TIED at the same juncture
and Florida will get annihilated later by ms state.

flippinhogmana

macy weaver ended up with seven points, two offensive boards, two blocks and three fouls on a night when neither thomas or williams scored.

flippinhogmana

I will do a wrap up stat analysis when the box score is posted on the hog board (probably tomorrow)
but we had a good night for Macy weaver, and Devin cosper got some minutes.

flippinhogmana

we are going to whip Kentucky Monday night!

flippinhogmana

ok, I pulled the box score from sec home and they credit MW with only one block (and give her a foul on the last one).  So her line score is 11 minutes, seven pts (3/4 from the field 1/3 from the line), 2 offensive boards, 1 block, and three fouls.

I also missed a bucket for Taylah Thomas so she had two points.

I also said late that SC starters were still out there until two minutes to go, some of them like Wilson and Jennings were pulled much earlier.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 25, 2018, 06:13:59 pm
no this is being outmanned

Obviously. Still embarrassing.

flippinhogmana

January 25, 2018, 08:58:19 pm #40 Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:13:14 am by flippinhogmana
shooting stats:  MM was was 6 of 20 from the field and didnt go to the line, for 12 pts
Jalyn Mason was 5 of 12 for 10 points and also didnt go to the line
swenson was one of eight, cosper and Thomas were one for six
zimmer was one for four, Williams was oh for two and RNB was oh for three
McClure and spangler were oh for one
weaver was three for four, one on a very nice feed from cosper for a wide open shot, the second I didn't catch who got the assist, the third on a drive, and she rimmed out a give and go from mason I believe it was.

Boards Thomas led with six
monk, weaver, Thomas and zimmer all got two offensive boards

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 25, 2018, 08:51:20 pm
Obviously. Still embarrassing.

not getting used to it doctor, but i know the players are improving and help is on the way.

ladybackfan

Why is it that our players never put in arch on the ball when they shootings it. Also Momk is a good player but does anyone think she would be better if she didn't throw up the underhand layup and just bounce the ball off the square in the glass?
Just wondering if I am correct or not.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ladybackfan on January 25, 2018, 09:26:11 pm
Why is it that our players never put in arch on the ball when they shootings it. Also Momk is a good player but does anyone think she would be better if she didn't throw up the underhand layup and just bounce the ball off the square in the glass?
Just wondering if I am correct or not.

You arent wrong.  If I had my druthers I would teach the players how to shoot with arch.  Most of these players have grown with their shots, either in shooting free throws or in shooting from the field.  I have seen it lots of times coach.  In a lot of ways they have imprinted on what it takes to get the ball to the goal from when they were younger and have just worked on getting better at hitting that shot.  As they got bigger and stronger they have failed to adjust to their greater strength and to really realize that they have more than enough to get it there so they can arc the ball.   If they realized all that (and to use the glass, and head fakes and pump fakes), they would rarely get blocked.

It is my experience that shooting with arc and shooting using the glass are almost lost arts.  I guess it means more to me because I was a 5-11 high post player.  If I wasn't able to shoot with either hand, drive with either hand, to shoot fades and shoot on the drive off the glass and fades off the drive (to either side), I wouldn't have been any good to my team because I played the four on defense (like cosper, thomas etc) against someone several inches taller and heavier.  They were going to punish me on one end, so I had to punish them on the other.  I shot rainbows on most of my shots, they were a lot softer on the rim if they didn't swish.  It gave me a better chance for the offensive board too.  My fts had a better chance too with arc.  They were softer and they had a better chance on the rim.

as time past and my accuracy at range increased, I still shot with a lot of arc.

flippinhogmana

as far as monk is concerned, she is at max capacity (including desperation shots), once dev comes back full bore and as our post players emerge more and more, I think she will not only have better lanes to drive, but I think she will put up less wild shots

flippinhogmana

January 25, 2018, 10:36:23 pm #45 Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:53:02 am by flippinhogmana
I also notice that the last four and a half minutes that Macy Weaver played with just reserves, she scarcely touched the ball, even then it was an offensive board and blocks.

She got the ball when cosper and mason were in - they looked for her and fed her three times (the other time she got the ball high as a screen and noticed an opening and drove and scored off the glass and was fouled - she scored her last point in the third quarter on a ft to complete a three point play).  I think she has been working with them.

I have to revise this after I went back and looked at the times she was in (especially in the third quarter - she scored all her points then in about a three minute span.  She got the ball first from Cosper, then from RnB on the give and go she missed, then from Stout, then she got the ball from mason a couple of times, once on the time where she saw the opening and drove, and the last time she took her eyes off the ball as she was flashing high and turned the ball over, then tried to draw a charge on the other end and picked up her second foul.  I thought that it was just a couple of the starters passing it to her, but so did RnB and Stout.

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 25, 2018, 07:18:38 pm
and thats it
Not really.  The game ended at 40 to 90 and about a minutes after the game the final score was also 40 to 90.  However, somewhat later and long after the game ended the Lady Razorbacks scored another 2 points. Therefore, they only only lost by 48 points. I guess it is against the rules to win by 50.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on January 26, 2018, 12:22:00 am
Not really.  The game ended at 40 to 90 and about a minutes after the game the final score was also 40 to 90.  However, somewhat later and long after the game ended the Lady Razorbacks scored another 2 points. Therefore, they only only lost by 48 points. I guess it is against the rules to win by 50.

actually its against the rules for the official scorer to not tally all the points.  The score at the end was 90-42 which the official scorer obviously caught when he tallied up all the points in the scorebook, the score book is official, the clock is not.

flippinhogmana

One final thought - if it took Cosper's injury to get Macy Weaver some extra playing time, then last night might have been worth it if it translates to her getting better and better the rest of the year.

Last night she played with intensity and played like her team mates needed her and in her limited minutes she delivered.  It all started with the captain (Devin Cosper back from her injury) drawing the defense, a nice dish and giving her a wide open shot.

psycHOGlogist

Things that stood out for me --

More proof that we are just completely outmanned by teams with big post players. Williams was trying down low, but could not make up for the height and experience differential.

That problem is going to be compounded when the officials refuse (or are reluctant to) call over the back fouls. I don't think this was a BIG issue last night, but I am pretty sure I saw more than a handful of calls that could have been made.

I was impressed by Weaver's performance. For the first time, I'm starting to feel like we are developing her and that she does indeed have the potential to play meaningful SEC minutes (I know others are ahead of me on this bandwagon).

I liked the fight in the team. They did not stop trying and pushing, even when the score was obviously out of reach.

I do not, in any way, think this was an issue of not playing good defense. It was an issue of of getting out rebounded and not being able to hang with SC's size. I think that all -- or maybe almost all? -- of SC's points in the first quarter were in the paint.