Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hot cereals in your diet.

Started by pigture perfect, May 30, 2013, 09:40:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

We know the benefits of oatmeal, but what about Cream of Wheat or Malt o' Meal for a change. Are they just fillers, or is there benefits.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 30, 2013, 09:40:43 pm
We know the benefits of oatmeal, but what about Cream of Wheat or Malt o' Meal for a change. Are they just fillers, or is there benefits.

Not too familiar with cream of wheat or malt o' meal, but I know that most "instant" type hot cereals are not good for you.  Full of sugar, carbs, and other junk.  Can't go wrong with the old school oatmeal.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hogfly

A lot of people are doing quinoa for breakfast now.

Steel cut oats are awesome as well.

Both of these keep and reheat really well, so you can make a big batch on Sunday, then eat it through the week.

Another new thing a lot of people are doing is overnight oats with chia seeds and fruit:
http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Note: I don't eat any of this stuff for breakfast, but my wife does. I'm fasting pretty often until evening, but I do occasionally have a kale smoothie or a kale/poached eggs salad for breakfast.

pigture perfect

My grandad called Cream of Wheat, Farina. Basically it's Gluten soup, but it was cheap and many times was all they had because of the depression. He could make it taste so good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Buck Ocean

Years ago, I started out with an instant oatmeal that contained sugar.  Then I graduated to just instant.  After knowing that the body will use whole grain oats more efficiently, I ditched the instant processed stuff.  About 4 years ago, I started going with the steel cut oats.  It takes about 30 minutes to get it how i want it.  I add fresh blueberries if I have them, but nothing is needed. 

This past winter, I got upwards of about a 20 pound increase from the summer.  For the first time in 10 years, I got rid of the oats in the morning and just have been going with 2 whole eggs and 2 cups egg whites.  This is the only change in my entire diet in probably a year.  Within 3 months I've really tightened up on the midsection.  My muscles are just as full. 

I think if you want to gain weight or maintain whatever you have, enjoy the oatmeal.  But whenever people say "start eating oatmeal for breakfast, you'll lose weight."  Yes you will, if you have been eating cupcakes and ho-hos the last 2 years.  But if you've been eating oatmeal for years and are ready to see change in belt size, that could be the adjustment you need, get rid of it.
Think like a Jedi

DeltaBoy

I cut out the Oatmeal except for winter time.

pigture perfect

I don't need to gain weight. I was just wanting something to help lower cholestorol. And to help with elimination.

HROHog

November 06, 2013, 10:07:21 pm #9 Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:27:53 am by HROHog
I've heard that steel cut is the best, the 5 minute kind second, and the instant not so much. I dunno, but I like the instant. Very convenient to be able to cook something in one minute that is nutritious, especially before work. I add in TBS of flax also, giving me 6 grams of fiber as well as the omega 3's found in the ground flax. 

DeltaBoy

I eat the instant till this year and I going to the 5 minute or steel cut ones since I can cook them on the weekend and put in the Ice box till I need them.

pigture perfect

I tried cooked Grape-nuts the other day. Not bad. I think I like them cold just as we'll though.

Hogfly

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 14, 2013, 10:25:28 am
I eat the instant till this year and I going to the 5 minute or steel cut ones since I can cook them on the weekend and put in the Ice box till I need them.

Yeah. Steel cut keep really well. Then just heat in the microwave. My wife has done this for years. Cooks a large batch on Sunday, then eats all week.

DeltaBoy

Thanks I am going to give it a try.