Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Patrick Beverley: 5-Star Class Act

Started by ste4236, November 11, 2006, 03:45:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ste4236

November 11, 2006, 03:45:16 am Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 03:58:09 am by ste4236
I love Patrick Beverley. He is unlike any college freshman I have ever seen play the game, not the skill level, but because of everything he brings to the game. He scores often, he grabs rebounds, he's not selfish, plays great defense, but most importantly he brings everyone into the game; both his teammates and the fans. He's a passionate player. We may be up by 20, but Patrick is running around the court telling everyone to get on their feet and cheer. He's contantly running around the hardwood clapping his hands with intensity after every almost every play, whether it be a huge trey that blows the roof off of Bud Walton Arena, or turnover by the opponent that probably wouldn't have any affect on the outcome of the game. I'm sure there will be times that we are down by 20 with the game just about out of reach, but if the clock doesn't say 00:00, the game is not over, and Beverley knows that. I've seen him play twice now, and once was in a scrimmage, but he brought the same intensity to the scrimmage that he did to the season opener last night. His leadership astounds me. I have never seen this type of play in a freshman in all my years of watching college basketball. It reminds me of a veteran John Lucas or Paul Pierce, but what Patrick did specificly last night vs. SEMO made me respect him so much more than just his leadership.

Patrick was on fire from deep, draining 6 three-pointers and racking up a game-high 29 points. A lot of people would maybe think from the box score that he was playing selfish, but that's anything but true. He gave up the ball a lot to his teammates, giving them opportunities to get in on the action. Beverley knew he was hot, but he also knows that it's a team game. With the scoreboard showing 92-52 in favor of the Hogs with 20 seconds left in the game, the student section was going crazy, pleading for him to break 30. With the way SEMO had been playing late, Beverley probably could have easily driven the lane for a layup or drained another from downtown, but he didn't. He passed the ball to Stefan Welsh, Welsh disshed it back to Beverley, and Beverley gave it back to Welsh (who finished with 5 points on the night) to finish the game. After Beverley gave the ball to his fellow freshman to end the game, two words came in my head: "Class act."
First of all, Beverley could have broken the 30 point mark in his first career NCAA game, but didn't because he knew the battle had been won and that there is no need to pour salt in the wound. Secondly he showed the respect he has for his teammates by giving the ball to Welsh at the end. That shows his awareness that it is not all about him and that he could not have done it without the 11 other guys that played with him Friday night. Any other player would have probably held the ball in their hands to finish a night like that, but not Beverley. He was ranked No. 54 overall by Rivals.com after his senior year because of how talented he is, but if Rivals did a ranking for class and leadership, I would guarantee you that he would be a 5-star.

Thank you, Patrick, for being exactly what Hog Hoops needs.

vs. SEMO stats

Patrick Beverley - G

29 points
11-13 FG
6-7 3PT
1-2 FT
5 Reb
4 Asst
4 Steals
28 minutes played

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

hogfan13

I saw you on the TV Screen at Bud Walton.

razorbackfan4life

I completely agree man.  He has a swagger that I haven't seen in very many Razorback players recently.  I'm hoping that we can come together as a team this year and do something special.

Tater Salad

yeah he seems like a pretty cool dude and handled himself really well in his post-game interview with Schaffer

SPAL

BPPig

His post game interview on radio after the game was awesome. Rick asked about scoring 29 points. He said he didn't really keep up with individual stats and started talking about his teammates and D. My favorite part was when Rick asked if he was going to the  FB game. He said "MAN am I going to the am game, AM I GOING TO THE GAME? I wish I could type the way he said it. It is just the first game and all but this young man is going to thrill us for a long time here, imo.

Adam Stokes

November 11, 2006, 07:36:34 am #6 Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:46:58 am by ajs15razorman
  He is certainly sounding better than Ramar Smith, and he will be compared between the two for a while because we could've had either.  Ramar can't shoot near as well as Beverly and Beverly's leadership is second to none.  The last couple years we haven't had a player as enthusiastic as him.  I think as long as Pac-Man is on the floor eating up defenses we will not give up any big leads this season.  Great post ste4236.

onehogfan

Patrick Beverly comes from chicago......He played high scholl bball in chicago where the city tourney gets played in arenas like the united center to sold out crowds...

This guy will not be wide eyed at any SEC venues. Some people may not know but chicago is to high school bball what TEXASS is to hS football....

on a side note.....Stan is only going to recruit those kinds of players....Classy, intelligent, young men of character.......
Ever hear a coach lose a guy like ronnie and then say, well we are probably even better this year.....talk about not hedging.....no coachspeak....i hope i learn to like his brand of bball, it seems to be more akin to eddie ball or big ten ball, nothing like nolan ball....that said, Stan will never be an embarrassment to us in the national spotlight, and as log aas he continues to show improvement and develop his players, WE are gonna be a team you will have to get past in the comference and the tourney...

werehog

Patrick Beverly is hardened in the forge of the Chicago Public High League. By mid-season we'll forget Junior Brewer was ever here.

onehogfan

Quote from: Bogarto on November 11, 2006, 06:40:56 am
Great to have a freshman with that type of leadership and energy. I think energy has been the main thing missing from the Hogs thea lastcouple years, because we've certainly had the talent.

you think MODICA and ferguson qualify as the "talent".......??...  i dont think so, they are good kids and they played their hearts out...but i dont honestly think either of them would even get "offered a scholly" at this point.  They are what was left of the whatever players were available in stans first year..

The Hog

Quote from: ste4236 on November 11, 2006, 03:45:16 am
I love Patrick Beverley. He is unlike any college freshman I have ever seen play the game, not the skill level, but because of everything he brings to the game. He scores often, he grabs rebounds, he's not selfish, plays great defense, but most importantly he brings everyone into the game; both his teammates and the fans. He's a passionate player. We may be up by 20, but Patrick is running around the court telling everyone to get on their feet and cheer. He's contantly running around the hardwood clapping his hands with intensity after every almost every play, whether it be a huge trey that blows the roof off of Bud Walton Arena, or turnover by the opponent that probably wouldn't have any affect on the outcome of the game. I'm sure there will be times that we are down by 20 with the game just about out of reach, but if the clock doesn't say 00:00, the game is not over, and Beverley knows that. I've seen him play twice now, and once was in a scrimmage, but he brought the same intensity to the scrimmage that he did to the season opener last night. His leadership astounds me. I have never seen this type of play in a freshman in all my years of watching college basketball. It reminds me of a veteran John Lucas or Paul Pierce, but what Patrick did specificly last night vs. SEMO made me respect him so much more than just his leadership.

Patrick was on fire from deep, draining 6 three-pointers and racking up a game-high 29 points. A lot of people would maybe think from the box score that he was playing selfish, but that's anything but true. He gave up the ball a lot to his teammates, giving them opportunities to get in on the action. Beverley knew he was hot, but he also knows that it's a team game. With the scoreboard showing 92-52 in favor of the Hogs with 20 seconds left in the game, the student section was going crazy, pleading for him to break 30. With the way SEMO had been playing late, Beverley probably could have easily driven the lane for a layup or drained another from downtown, but he didn't. He passed the ball to Stefan Welsh, Welsh disshed it back to Beverley, and Beverley gave it back to Welsh (who finished with 5 points on the night) to finish the game. After Beverley gave the ball to his fellow freshman to end the game, two words came in my head: "Class act."
First of all, Beverley could have broken the 30 point mark in his first career NCAA game, but didn't because he knew the battle had been won and that there is no need to pour salt in the wound. Secondly he showed the respect he has for his teammates by giving the ball to Welsh at the end. That shows his awareness that it is not all about him and that he could not have done it without the 11 other guys that played with him Friday night. Any other player would have probably held the ball in their hands to finish a night like that, but not Beverley. He was ranked No. 54 overall by Rivals.com after his senior year because of how talented he is, but if Rivals did a ranking for class and leadership, I would guarantee you that he would be a 5-star.

vs. SEMO stats

Patrick Beverley - G

29 points
11-13 FG
6-7 3PT
1-2 FT
5 Reb
4 Asst
4 Steals
28 minutes played

With stats like that he can only go down.  Man, what a game he played.  Those are the type numbers Jordan use to put up.
Automatic RUN!

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: ste4236 on November 11, 2006, 03:45:16 am

vs. SEMO stats

Patrick Beverley - G

29 points
11-13 FG
6-7 3PT
1-2 FT
5 Reb
4 Asst
4 Steals
28 minutes played

Nice post.

But, maybe get rid of the Boobie Miles over McFadden pic.  Boobie Miles got hurt, plus McFadden's better...just superstitious.

RealHogFan

Quote from: onehogfan on November 11, 2006, 07:38:46 am
Patrick Beverly comes from chicago......He played high scholl bball in chicago where the city tourney gets played in arenas like the united center to sold out crowds...

This guy will not be wide eyed at any SEC venues. Some people may not know but chicago is to high school bball what TEXASS is to hS football....

on a side note.....Stan is only going to recruit those kinds of players....Classy, intelligent, young men of character.......
Ever hear a coach lose a guy like ronnie and then say, well we are probably even better this year.....talk about not hedging.....no coachspeak....i hope i learn to like his brand of bball, it seems to be more akin to eddie ball or big ten ball, nothing like nolan ball....that said, Stan will never be an embarrassment to us in the national spotlight, and as log aas he continues to show improvement and develop his players, WE are gonna be a team you will have to get past in the comference and the tourney...

Excellent, positive post.  I think Stan Heath is a class act too and am sick of the negative tone in some of the posts here.  We are going to be good.

Squealers

Great post.  Great points.  Beverley could be the beginning of a change of direction for Stan and his legacy at Arkansas.

As far as Stan goes, I have traveled with him on several occasions and he is without doubt one of the classiest individuals I have ever met.  He has a fire for the University and this program.  Do not ever let anyone tell you differently.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

Hawgballz

I could not understand last year why so many people wanted Ramar Smith over PB, hopefully this will put an end to anyone who still wanted Smith.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Squealers

Quote from: HawgBall06 on November 11, 2006, 09:47:47 am
I could not understand last year why so many people wanted Ramar Smith over PB, hopefully this will put an end to anyone who still wanted Smith.

Where did Smith end up?
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

bao187

i too like beverly the only problem i have is in an interview he used the word "brung" but oh well it sounded like a good word at the time lol
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

RealHogFan

Quote from: bao187 on November 11, 2006, 10:26:39 am
i too like beverly the only problem i have is in an interview he used the word "brung" but oh well it sounded like a good word at the time lol

Sounded like a good southern boy!

Lando Calrissian

It's nice to have a real shooting guard again.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

12under

Quote from: werehog on November 11, 2006, 07:40:58 am
Patrick Beverly is hardened in the forge of the Chicago Public High League. By mid-season we'll forget Junior Brewer was ever here.
oh, no no no no no no!  not a chance he is near the player brewer was

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: 12under on November 11, 2006, 10:33:24 am

seeing as Brewer was about as average as you can get, it won't be long before he eclipses what Brewer was.  Geez, the love fest for Brewer is amazing. 

HE WAS AN AVERAGE BASKETBALL PLAYER. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

12under

Quote from: dubyacee on November 11, 2006, 10:58:50 am

seeing as Brewer was about as average as you can get, it won't be long before he eclipses what Brewer was.  Geez, the love fest for Brewer is amazing. 

i dont know you, but just looking at that statement i'll assume you dont watch much basketball.  i'll bet you any amount of money that ronnie is and always will be better than your boy patrick

Dr. Hog

Its nice to have a little outside threat finally

dcrain

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on November 11, 2006, 04:07:11 am
I completely agree man.  He has a swagger that I haven't seen in very many Razorback players recently.  I'm hoping that we can come together as a team this year and do something special.

We have really been missing that kick-ass attitude the last several years.

ste4236

Quote from: 12under on November 11, 2006, 11:02:49 am

i dont know you, but just looking at that statement i'll assume you dont watch much basketball.  i'll bet you any amount of money that ronnie is and always will be better than your boy patrick
It's really too early to say one way or the other. I thought Brewer was a good college player, but I'm not sure what he'll ammount to in the NBA. Beverley brings a true shot to the game, Brewers motion was so awkward, but that doesn' matter. What does matter is that we have a great ball player on our hands with a passion for the game. Man I wish I could have heard that interview, it sounds just like Beverley to do something like that. Dont know if you guys remember my old post about a month ago about what a nice guy he is, but he brings that same personality to the hardwood.

"Cajun King"

JoyDivision

I know this isn't related to Bev or basketball but it is related to classy... DMAC is classy.  I haven't really read any post praising him but in his interviews he never answers "yes" it is always "yes sir."

JoyDivision

Quote from: ste4236 on November 11, 2006, 11:17:29 am

It's really too early to say one way or the other. I thought Brewer was a good college player, but I'm not sure what he'll ammount to in the NBA. Beverley brings a true shot to the game, Brewers motion was so awkward, but that doesn' matter. What does matter is that we have a great ball player on our hands with a passion for the game. Man I wish I could have heard that interview, it sounds just like Beverley to do something like that. Dont know if you guys remember my old post about a month ago about what a nice guy he is, but he brings that same personality to the hardwood.

I remember that post.  Bev is some salt on the earth.

Galleywinter

6-7 from 3 point land. great stats all around, but wow on that one.

CoachJ

With all of this "ME" attitude going around in college sports, it's great to have a kid like Beverly on the Hogs.  This is a guy that knows he is very fortunate to have a chance to play college ball.  I wish more guys had this attitude.  You don't find many humble 18-20 year olds.  I'm glad we have one of them that can shoot the lights out. 

WILL CLINTON

You know what they say about assuming.  And this time you couldn't be more wrong.  Patrick is not "my boy".  I don't even know him, haven't seen him play.  Ronnie Brewer just never showed me anything that made me believe he was a "Great" basketball player.  I've watched Razorback Basketball for about 20 years now, and he definitely isn't on my starting 5 during that span, and probably wouldn't even be on the bench. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

ste4236

Quote from: CoachJ on November 11, 2006, 12:51:44 pm
With all of this "ME" attitude going around in college sports, it's great to have a kid like Beverly on the Hogs.  This is a guy that knows he is very fortunate to have a chance to play college ball.  I wish more guys had this attitude.  You don't find many humble 18-20 year olds.  I'm glad we have one of them that can shoot the lights out. 
Agreed.

It's Hard to be Humble... lol

"Cajun King"

Hawgustus Maximus

Quote from: dubyacee on November 11, 2006, 12:55:45 pm

You know what they say about assuming.  And this time you couldn't be more wrong.  Patrick is not "my boy".  I don't even know him, haven't seen him play.  Ronnie Brewer just never showed me anything that made me believe he was a "Great" basketball player.  I've watched Razorback Basketball for about 20 years now, and he definitely isn't on my starting 5 during that span, and probably wouldn't even be on the bench. 
and your probably better at sizing up talent than the guys paying millions for mr. Brewer's services

Squealers

Quote from: Tomcat on November 11, 2006, 09:56:57 am
Quote from: Squealers on November 11, 2006, 09:49:01 am

Where did Smith end up?

In case this isn't sarcastic, Tennessee....
No sarcasms, didn't know.  Thanks for the 411.

Squealers

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on November 11, 2006, 10:30:09 am
It's nice to have a real shooting guard again.

Lando,

Good meeting you and Fresh Legs today at the MOAT.

ste4236

Quote from: Squealers on November 11, 2006, 11:20:20 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on November 11, 2006, 09:56:57 am
Quote from: Squealers on November 11, 2006, 09:49:01 am

Where did Smith end up?

In case this isn't sarcastic, Tennessee....
No sarcasms, didn't know.  Thanks for the 411.
I didnt know that either. Hope to see them face off this season!

"Cajun King"

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

EastMemphisHog

War Hawk

Beverley looked incredible Friday night, and if he keeps playing like he did.  We might be seeing him playing NBA ball in a year or two.  Can't we just say that Brewer and Beverley were/are great Razorbacks with bright futures.  

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Cohouse

I would like to wait and see a little more of him besides exhibition games and one game against Semo before we say hes the best college freshman we have seen.

3kgthog

McCurdy can't handle the press? Did you watch the game Friday? Ervin was picking up his dribble every time they pressed him while McCurdy was able to keep his dribble up the floor. Even when he got trapped he was smart enough to pass the ball off. McCurdy and Ervin shoot about as well as Larry Satchell, but I'll still take McCurdy based on what I've seen so far in the last three games.

I agree with Cohouse. It's too early to say Beverley is a bad, bad man. He looked rather pedestrian in the first two exhibition games. Although SEMO was not as bad a team as the final score would indicate. They played very hard and were very well coached which was evidenced in the first half when they gave us fits for awhile. The fact that he torched them was encouraging. I also like his enthusiasm. It's nice to see after watching Steven Hill and Darian Townes never smile or laugh while playing a game that is supposed to be fun.