Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Stan Heath The Next Boss Hog A Step Away From The Chopping Block

Started by Hella_Hog, October 02, 2006, 08:30:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hella_Hog

I hear several people growing tired of the "we're young" or "next year...." lines.  IMO, he's had ample opportunity and talent to make the Hogs a prominant program in the SEC and nationally, but has failed to do so.

We might as well ship them both off in a package deal.

hogsfairweatherfan

I imagine that with a NCAA Tournament Bid last year, Stanny Boy helped his cause a little bit. Also, I think that we dont have the balls to fire anyone that has an average year. It has to be under .200.

Thrilbilly

Some of the reports from those attending some practices feel this team may be a pleasant surprise..

hawgfan80

There is always "several people" tired of something. Stan will be just fine.

williamsB

lunchbox72703

Quote from: williamsB on October 02, 2006, 08:38:08 pm
T shirts with Tired Legs are at the printers

Be careful...Fresh Legs might own a copywirte on those designs!!!!

HoopS

He has shown steady improvement record wise.  I like how he recruits.  Whether you believe we should hire a young coach and let him mature or not, that is what we did.   This is his team and I am willing to see what he is capable of with his own guys. 

I've been on the record as picking us to lose a step this year.  On the bubble in March.  I need to see Weems and Beverly in action before I'm truly convinced one way or the other.  Erwin needs to a veteran leader.  Charles Thomas could be huge, imo.  Darian needs to be consistant.  Steven Hill needs to be close to a Razorback record in blocks, plus some offense and many boards.  McCurdy needs to give us some perimeter shooting and the drive and dish ability he showed at times last year.

Stan needs to recognize weaknesses and attack...ie, Fresh Legs, and we all know what I'm talking about, right Conway?

Should make for an interesting season.

Hella_Hog

Quote from: Thrilbilly on October 02, 2006, 08:34:57 pm....feel this team may be a pleasant surprise....

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that.  But most of you are right.  HDN will have to go before they can even consider letting SH go.

But please don't refer to our last NCAA bid as a reason to keep him.  First round loss to Bucknell?  Puh-lease!  I equate that to HDN's loss to UNLV in the Las Vegas bowl.

CallMeAl

If we don't give Stan at least 9 years to get his program up to snuff, then Nolan was right. There is a double standard. I doubt if it is racial. But the good ole boy system is alive and well at the U of A.
Hog since birth.

Hella_Hog

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on October 02, 2006, 09:02:05 pm
I doubt if it is racial. But the good ole boy system is alive and well at the U of A.

If you doubt it's racial, then what is the intent of your statement?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Bogarto on October 02, 2006, 08:38:53 pm
I find it hard to justify firing SH when we have Nuttless and his medicore performance still going on in football. SH still gets a 2 year free pass at some point before firing him even becomes an option.

Yeah, if we don't fire Nutt, we shouldn't fire Stan unless we're ready to get our butts sued.  Stan should get a 2 year pass first.

weevilhogg

jeez, can we at least make it to the season before we fire the coach?

Oh my!

pigture perfect

We need to make at least the sweet sixteen this year. If we don't it will be a disappointment for me. No! I don't think Stan needs to be the next. I reserve that for Susie. She arguablyhas the best recruits of anyone coming in. If she can't win with these girls, she needs to go.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogboarder

Brand X Hog Fan

Not saying anything against Stan till the season is underway. Think back . . . he puts the team in a position to win. It has been failure to execute that has lost  a lot of games. The coach is ultimately responsible for sure and if we don't go at least to the sweet 16 or win the SEC tourney and then go at least to the second round of the NCAA, then he needs to go back to Kent State.

Lets give him at least the nonconference season to show us what he's got before we put him to the fire.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

louisianahawg

Quote from: Hella_Hog on October 02, 2006, 08:30:27 pm
I hear several people growing tired of the "we're young" or "next year...." lines.  IMO, he's had ample opportunity and talent to make the Hogs a prominant program in the SEC and nationally, but has failed to do so.

We might as well ship them both off in a package deal.

BLAJ BLAH BLAH!!!!

Brand X Hog Fan

"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

HoopS

Yeah, about McCurdy....there is a certain long haired poster who is HUGE McCurdy fan so I thought I'd put a good thought in his mind.

Hide and watch though.

Yo Huckleberry

I'll say it again: HDN & SH should collaborate. SH can recruit but he can't coach; HDN can coach but he can't recruit.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Yo Huckleberry on October 03, 2006, 12:24:18 am
I'll say it again: HDN & SH should collaborate. SH can recruit but he can't coach; HDN can coach but he can't recruit.
HDN can NOT coach!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HedgeDweller

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 02, 2006, 08:55:29 pm
He has shown steady improvement record wise.  I like how he recruits.  Whether you believe we should hire a young coach and let him mature or not, that is what we did.   This is his team and I am willing to see what he is capable of with his own guys. 

I've been on the record as picking us to lose a step this year.  On the bubble in March.  I need to see Weems and Beverly in action before I'm truly convinced one way or the other.  Erwin needs to a veteran leader.  Charles Thomas could be huge, imo.  Darian needs to be consistant.  Steven Hill needs to be close to a Razorback record in blocks, plus some offense and many boards.  McCurdy needs to give us some perimeter shooting and the drive and dish ability he showed at times last year.

Stan needs to recognize weaknesses and attack...ie, Fresh Legs, and we all know what I'm talking about, right Conway?

Ron Crawford was really high on Weems yesterday, saying after watching him in workouts or pickup games that Weems was even better than he thought, and he had already thought he was pretty good....
How that translates to the floor in a real game, we'll just have to wait and see - but it sounded encouraging.

oldbooniehog

Heath has to continue to show improvement.

This team needs to actually WIN an NCAA tournament game.

If they don't make the tournament again, he's gone.

I've liked Heath as a man.

However, when they blew it on the road last year to lowly Ole Miss, and Heath's Hogs had won something like 4 SEC road games during Heath's tenure, I was ready to pull the proverbial plug.

If the improvement continues, he stays.

If the team doesn't make the NCAA tourney again, he's toast.

oldbooniehog

HoopS

I hope R Crawford is right.  These are his recruits, in his system and we need to get to the tournament and advance.  It seems the potential is there...

allyoucaneatbuffet

you guys are idiots:

Houston's sec wins: 5-4-3-2-?
Heath's sec wins: 4-6-10-?

Houston's real wins: 9-5-4-?
Heath's real wins: 9-12-18-22

Houston's big wins: NO SEC TEAM OVER .500 SINCE 2002
Heath's big wins: Kansas, Nat'l Champ Florida, at #10 Tennessee

Houston's postseason: Music City, Independence, NO BOWL, NO BOWL
Heath's postseason: None, None, NITEligible, NCAA1st Round

Houston's words: "we were so close" "we are just 1 year away" "we are so young!" "the next 2 years will be difficult!" "i called that play!"
Heath's words: "I accept full responsibility for that loss" "the team wasn't prepared, and all of the blame comes on me" "there are no excuses for that loss" "losing (al jefferson to the nba) will not be an excuse for failure"

***IF YOU CAN'T TELL THE STARK CONTRAST BETWEEN SOMEONE ABSOLUTELY ON THE RISE AND SOMEONE ABSOLUTELY SELF-DESTRUCTING, GET OFF THIS BOARD PLEASE***

Mike Shelton

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 02, 2006, 08:55:29 pm
He has shown steady improvement record wise.  I like how he recruits.  Whether you believe we should hire a young coach and let him mature or not, that is what we did.   This is his team and I am willing to see what he is capable of with his own guys. 

couldnt have said it any better myself

Mike Shelton

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on October 03, 2006, 09:08:35 am
you guys are idiots:

Houston's words: "we were so close" "we are just 1 year away" "we are so young!" "the next 2 years will be difficult!" "i called that play!"
Heath's words: "I accept full responsibility for that loss" "the team wasn't prepared, and all of the blame comes on me" "there are no excuses for that loss" "losing (al jefferson to the nba) will not be an excuse for failure"

***IF YOU CAN'T TELL THE STARK CONTRAST BETWEEN SOMEONE ABSOLUTELY ON THE RISE AND SOMEONE ABSOLUTELY SELF-DESTRUCTING, GET OFF THIS BOARD PLEASE***

where do u guys go toget all these quotes and stats? i think that is awesome how u back up everything u said with quotes and stats. making me a believer! lol

sooie dog

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on October 03, 2006, 09:08:35 am
you guys are idiots:

Like I said on the other thread.  Those of you who can't tell the difference between football and basketball should not post at all.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: sooie dog on October 03, 2006, 09:20:24 am
Like I said on the other thread.  Those of you who can't tell the difference between football and basketball should not post at all.

You're right.  THe difference is, in football, Arkansas coaches get a "2-year-pass-get-out-of-jail-free-card-excuse-for mediocrity-pass"

**Oh, and in football over 50% of the teams get postseason 'bowl games'.  In basketball about 19% make the big dance.  YOur point?

I don't for a second believe Nolan was right.  But IF we are left out come march and stan is fired while shreveport.com Nutt is extended, then I think perhaps the old color-of-skin argument might not be so far off base...

sooie dog

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on October 03, 2006, 09:39:04 am
Quote from: sooie dog on October 03, 2006, 09:20:24 am

You're right.  THe difference is, in football, Arkansas coaches get a "2-year-pass-get-out-of-jail-free-card-excuse-for mediocrity-pass"

**Oh, and in football over 50% of the teams get postseason 'bowl games'.  In basketball about 19% make the big dance.  YOur point?

I don't for a second believe Nolan was right.  But IF we are left out come march and stan is fired while shreveport.com Nutt is extended, then I think perhaps the old color-of-skin argument might not be so far off base...

You just don't get it do you?  Both of them have about as much business coaching at Arkansas as you do posting on Hogville. 

jm

how many games have to be won this year to keep him? 20? 30? 50?

sooie dog

Quote from: jm on October 03, 2006, 10:09:00 am

It's not a certain number in my opinion.  I want to see them come out with a fire under their ass.  Play hard nosed D, rebound and leave all on the court.  None of this saving it our the team quiting on him.  That's all I ask and we are not getting that with Heath coaching them.

jm

yes
i know what you mean there
they appear to play half speed at times
last year anyway
Quote from: sooie dog on October 03, 2006, 10:14:29 am
Quote from: jm on October 03, 2006, 10:09:00 am

It's not a certain number in my opinion.  I want to see them come out with a fire under their ass.  Play hard nosed D, rebound and leave all on the court.  None of this saving it our the team quiting on him.  That's all I ask and we are not getting that with Heath coaching them.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Obviously you seem to remember bucknell and somehow forgot the other 29 games.  Too bad for you.  Get over bucknell.  Just like 64 other teams, we lost during the ncaas. Get over bucknell.

*I'll take 22-10 2nd in the west and an chance in the NCAAs WITH NO LOSS COMING BY MORE THAN FIVE POINTS THE ENTIRE YEAR OF 2006 - NO BLOWOUTS - WORST LOSS (-5) - any day.

Oh, and did i say, "Get over bucknell" yet?

hogblade

The only quality wins we've had in three years have come in basketball... As long as we give Nuttless chance after chance. Heath has a spot here, especially when he is winning games against National Champion, Florida, Tennessee, Kansas and not getting smoked off the court by another Final Four team such as LSU, but actually being "oh so close" to winning unlike our games against USC

hogoh

Perhaps Coach Heath can find a high school coach with a national player of the year to hire.

This seems to be the working model for longevity on the hill.

razorbackfan4life

It's too hard to fire a coach that has steadily improved every year.  Personally I dont like the style of ball we play.  I miss the 40 minutes of HELL.  I'm giving him ONE more year to produce something worth watching.  The last few years of Razorback basketball have sucked, and I'm hoping that this recruiting class can have an instant impact.

hogblade

I suppose Sooiedog would rather the basketball team win 10-14 games but slide around the court alot and commit hard fouls and go for the steal and get burnt just to show they are playing at full speed than have them go the NCAA's and beat several quality opponents.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: hogblade on October 03, 2006, 11:02:43 am
I suppose Sooiedog would rather the basketball team win 10-14 games but slide around the court alot and commit hard fouls and go for the steal and get burnt just to show they are playing at full speed than have them go the NCAA's and beat several quality opponents.

:) lol... now, now, the SEC already has Georgia.

The Lemming

allyoucaneatbuffet

October 03, 2006, 11:13:43 am #40 Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:15:35 am by allyoucaneatbuffet
I still can't get over how certain folks are 'disappointed' in last year.
YES we lost some close ones, YES we won some close ones.  YES we missed crucial fts (LSU, miss, bucknell, kentucky), but we made some crucial fts too (bama, @tenn)

What boggles the mind is that LAST YEAR OUR WORST SEC LOSS WAS BY FIVE POINTS.

NO blowouts.  NO 'losing by 30 to mississippi state'.  NO 'losing by 35 to lsu in the sect'.  NO getting drilled by bama at HOME.  NO 10+ point scratchers to vandy.

NO blowouts.  No 6 points losses even.

That in itself says an awful lot about our team & our potential.

But I imagine within 10 minutes someone will quote this and say "arararararar we lost six sec games BECAUSE of stan, who cares if we played hard every game and didn't give up!" (@ LSwho - one of the greatest comebacks of all time, down by 17, but poor mccurdy jinxed us)... let the idiots hate some more.

sooie dog

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on October 03, 2006, 11:00:08 am
Obviously you seem to remember bucknell and somehow forgot the other 29 games.  Too bad for you.  Get over bucknell.  Just like 64 other teams, we lost during the ncaas. Get over bucknell.

*I'll take 22-10 2nd in the west and an chance in the NCAAs WITH NO LOSS COMING BY MORE THAN FIVE POINTS THE ENTIRE YEAR OF 2006 - NO BLOWOUTS - WORST LOSS (-5) - any day.

I never mentioned Bucknell.  Heath had a team quite on him 2 years ago and that is when he should have been fired.  To top that off we turned down the NIT becuase we were afraid we would get BUCKNELED by UALR the following year.

How many post season games has Heath won at Arkansas counting the SEC tournament?  I'll give you a hint.  Stick up your middle finger and count it.  The competition has been less than stellar in these post season games.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: sooie dog on October 03, 2006, 11:15:23 am
Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on October 03, 2006, 11:00:08 am

I never mentioned Bucknell.  Heath had a team quite on him 2 years ago and that is when he should have been fired.  To top that off we turned down the NIT becuase we were afraid we would get BUCKNELED by UALR the following year.

How many post season games has Heath won at Arkansas counting the SEC tournament?  I'll give you a hint.  Stick up your middle finger and count it.  The competition has been less than stellar in these post season games.

Did you even GLANCE at my posts a few back?  "a team quit on him a few years ago"

GUESS WHAT. Teddy Gipson, Kendrick Davis, Modica, Satchell, Gomez, even Brewer, they are GONE!  LONG GONE!

IF you think that players "not respecting a new coach when the old one is fired" is just a bizzare rumor, play competitive sports.

NOLAN players = finally gone

TEAM CHEMISTRY = finally here

taintlint

Stan Heath is a Sun Belt caliber assistant coach. Period. As the season approaches we will be fed a whole new line of bull about "pleasant surprises" and "turning corners". By mid season reality will set in and by the SEC tourny this no talent hack of a coach will be exposed yet again. Different year, same BS. Buy into it the bull if you wish, until our "big time" sports are led by big time coaches we will continue to be "small time".

allyoucaneatbuffet

October 03, 2006, 11:36:12 am #44 Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:38:26 am by allyoucaneatbuffet
Quote from: taintlint on October 03, 2006, 11:22:06 am
by the SEC tourny this no talent hack of a coach will be exposed yet again.

"exposed"???  we beat georgia in the 1st round and lost to NATIONAL CHAMPION florida by 3 (Three!) measley points in the 2nd round!  Tell me again how the SECT "exposed" us?????

BPPig

Jeez, we haven't even got a clue as to how this year's team will play and already we have doom being predicted.

Onme thing that I know for sure is that in the last 2-3 years if there was a last second shot needed to win or tie the game it was taken primarily by Eric Fergusan. This was basically because no one else wanted the ball very badly. One of our main problems was that he never ever hit one. Even his last shot was the same as all the others. I don't believe we will have that problem this year. Losing Ronnie Brewer hurts a lot but at least give this team a chance. It might not be everyone's prefered style of play but this team has got the potential to be a real bear defensively.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: BPPig on October 03, 2006, 11:37:08 am
Jeez, we haven't even got a clue as to how this year's team will play and already we have doom being predicted.

Onme thing that I know for sure is that in the last 2-3 years if there was a last second shot needed to win or tie the game it was taken primarily by Eric Fergusan. This was basically because no one else wanted the ball very badly. One of our main problems was that he never ever hit one. Even his last shot was the same as all the others. I don't believe we will have that problem this year. Losing Ronnie Brewer hurts a lot but at least give this team a chance. It might not be everyone's prefered style of play but this team has got the potential to be a real bear defensively.

YES!!! Thank goodness someone else noticed all these years.  "E-star" was pretty good, but my friends and i used to say... "10 seconds left in the half?  a million bucks says eric ferguson dribbles down real fast and misses a lay-up -- misses a jupm shot if its less than 5 seconds left"

GWINGATE

Quote from: weevilhogg on October 02, 2006, 09:07:17 pm
jeez, can we at least make it to the season before we fire the coach?

WE SHOULD OF LET HIM GO LAST SPRING!!!

jamie72921

Eric Ferguson was the worst SCHOLARSHIP guard I have ever seen at the U of A. Why Stan Heath was married to him playing as much as he did, will always be an unsolved mystery. The guy was a loser, plain and simple. Ferguson took the end of the game shots because he was selfish not because he was fearless and worse yet the Coaches gave him a green light to do it. I am anxious to see a Ferguson-less team this season. It could make a huge difference even with what else we lost.
Bless your heart

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 03, 2006, 12:28:58 pm
Eric Ferguson was the worst SCHOLARSHIP guard I have ever seen at the U of A. Why Stan Heath was married to him playing as much as he did, will always be an unsolved mystery. The guy was a loser, plain and simple.

Seeing as how the 2002 scholarship recruiting period had about a day left, and NOlan left when he did, the Long Island guard was the best Stan could do.  Yeah, he wasn't great, he always hustled though.