Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Danger of the Status Quo

Started by HogsonHicks, March 16, 2018, 05:28:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsonHicks

Anderson is a solid man and successful coach who is loyal and devoted to the university.  The insults and derogatory names aren't truly deserved, and his performance warrants our appreciation.  He truly did reestablish a level of respect for our program.

With that said, the Hogs are entering a dangerous era in SEC basketball.  The SEC is no long only a football conference, and the sizeable budgets and influence of our peers have been directed toward basketball success.  Facilities have been built and upgraded, coaches have been fired, and high-quality replacements have been retained.  We have become a much more well-rounded, basketball influenced conference.

Arkansas risks watching more of our peers surpass us if we too don't upgrade in some way.  Give Anderson the position of respect he deserves as a high-integrity man in a productive athletics administration position of some type.  Find someone who can then take our on-court production to the next level and leverage our emerging Arkansas basketball talent.

SEC basketball is evolving.  Will we become extinct?

The_Bionic_Pig

A very, very good post that no matter your personal opinion of Mike Anderson  +1 (and I don't even agree)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

cityhog

Quote from: HogsonHicks on March 16, 2018, 05:28:28 pm
Anderson is a solid man and successful coach who is loyal and devoted to the university.  The insults and derogatory names aren't truly deserved, and his performance warrants our appreciation.  He truly did reestablish a level of respect for our program.

With that said, the Hogs are entering a dangerous era in SEC basketball.  The SEC is no long only a football conference, and the sizeable budgets and influence of our peers have been directed toward basketball success.  Facilities have been built and upgraded, coaches have been fired, and high-quality replacements have been retained.  We have become a much more well-rounded, basketball influenced conference.

Arkansas risks watching more of our peers surpass us if we too don't upgrade in some way.  Give Anderson the position of respect he deserves as a high-integrity man in a productive athletics administration position of some type.  Find someone who can then take our on-court production to the next level and leverage our emerging Arkansas basketball talent.

SEC basketball is evolving.  Will we become extinct?

Couldn't agree more. I liken Arkansas football and basketball to Walmart stock. It's risk averse.

Lady Razorback

I am not sure how I feel right this second.  I do like your post and it was very well articulated.  +1

razrbakr1

While you are kissing his backside you are also admitting he is losing ground to the rest of the conference.  And admitting we are losing ground by chiefly watching SEC brothers replace inferior coaches with superior coaches.  Aren't you actually calling for Anderson to be replaced as other underachieving programs have and are doing or blaming it on  the budget/facilities?

razrbakr1

I'm sorry I reread the post and I see where I think I misunderstood.  Forgive me please. 

If you are calling for the immediate replacement for Anderson I can agree with that.
I was thrown off a bit for the praise you were bestowing.  I can give you that too but personally I don't share that view.  I couldn't really care less if he was the greatest guy on earth, he was hired to win games.  Well I may be wrong again.  Maybe Arkansas really doesn't care about winning games any more.  Maybe I should take what the former AD said about the subject as gospel.  Great post.  I'll shut up.

oldbooniehog

Considering Arkansas has not been to the NCAA "Sweet Sixteen" since 1996, I'd say Arkansas basketball has pretty much been extinct for about about 22 years and counting now.

Or in other words, are you just now noticing it?

TheEnemy

The danger is putting the love of a coach over the program.

HardCore

We are past the Danger......we are at the Status Quo
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

alohawg

Quote from: TheEnemy on March 16, 2018, 05:48:34 pm
The danger is putting the love of a coach over the program.

Nailed
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razrbakr1

The danger is putting the love of a coach over the program.  +1

Why do so many fans of the University of Arkansas fall so deeply in love with the coaches.  I've never seen that at other places.  HDN for example, there are good people out there who still just are goo-goo over this guy.  And would have kept them as their leader if God himself had sent down a scroll saying "this is as good as it will get under Nutt".  Reminds me of that Jones guy in Jonestown with the kool-aide.

sickboy

Quote from: Lady Razorback on March 16, 2018, 05:34:57 pm
I am not sure how I feel right this second.  I do like your post and it was very well articulated.  +1

This is how I feel. +2