Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike won't do this . . . but if I were the coach . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 15, 2018, 08:58:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

March 15, 2018, 08:58:35 pm Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:10:16 pm by WizardofhOgZ
I'd start Thompson instead of Gafford tomorrow.  Obviously, it has nothing to do with who the better player is; it's about protecting young Daniel from himself in the early going.

Think about it.  How often has Daniel gotten past the first TV timeout before he got his first foul?  Answer - hardly ever.  Furthermore, how many of those first fouls have been - to put it bluntly - "dumb" fouls?  Answer - almost all of them.  I don't know how many times I've seen him get called for a silly reach-in foul 25 feet from the basket!  That's NOT where he needs to be committing fouls.

I believe it's because his adrenaline is so high that he's all over the place, trying to make defensive plays he should (and probably does) know better than to try.  Early game over-excitement.  Why not let him watch the first 4-5 minutes from the bench to get mentally into the flow of the game, and then put him in.  After all, we're going to need 15-20 minutes from Trey anyhow.  And if we do start Daniel, and he gets a couple of early fouls, we're gonna be in trouble.

And, for that matter, this goes double IF we survive and play Purdue and their huge center.  If we've got 10 fouls to burn on that goon, let's let the first couple come on Trey, not Daniel.

Again - I don't expect Mike to follow this approach. I'm pretty sure he will start Gafford.  But I do think it would be the best route for us, at least these first two games.

popcornhog

It's a thought, but he's done a much better job lately of staying out of foul trouble.

I don't think it would be a horrible idea but I don't see it happening.
WPS

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: popcornhog on March 15, 2018, 09:00:04 pm
It's a thought, but he's done a much better job lately of staying out of foul trouble.

I don't think it would be a horrible idea but I don't see it happening.

As I stated, I agree that it's very unlikely Mike will do this - so, that's not really the question . . .which IS . . . after thinking about what I proposed, would YOU, or would you NOT start Daniel tomorrow, if YOU were the coach?

checkraiser88

He should start and we might need him for 30 minutes or more

popcornhog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 15, 2018, 09:02:55 pm
As I stated, I agree that it's very unlikely Mike will do this - so, that's not really the question . . .which IS . . . after thinking about what I proposed, would YOU, or would you NOT start Daniel tomorrow, if YOU were the coach?

I'd probably start him but it would be worth consideration.

I think at this point you trust that he is a sophomore and not a freshman and he'a Gonna play smart.

If he picks up a really early foul, I would definitely pull him though. Say he picks one up at the 17:00 mark, I'd sit him until around the 8-10 minute mark if feasible.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 15, 2018, 09:08:25 pm
He should start and we might need him for 30 minutes or more

I think the point is if he has two fouls inside the first 10 minutes, there is no way you get 30 out of him.

But ride him until it's an issue (hopefully it won't be) and react as necessary.
WPS

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: popcornhog on March 15, 2018, 09:10:07 pm
If he picks up a really early foul, I would definitely pull him though. Say he picks one up at the 17:00 mark, I'd sit him until around the 8-10 minute mark if feasible.

See - that's the point . . . that IS what we do.  He gets an early foul, we pull him and sit him down for 8-10 minutes because we don't want him to get into foul trouble.  If we bring him in at the 4 minute mark, and he plays 5-6 min without a foul (assuming the logic works and he is not as "geeked" as he normally is when the games start), then we can take him out for a couple of minutes and put him back in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the teams are normally feeling each other out and trying to get pace established the first 4 minutes.  Even if he come in and we're behind 11-5 or something, it's no big deal.  However, if he gets into foul trouble, and we take him out and they then go on an 11-5 run, the momentum is going in the wrong direction. 

Again - just my thoughts on it.  He, more than any other player, must not get into fouls trouble in the tournament.

popcornhog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 15, 2018, 09:15:34 pm
See - that's the point . . . that IS what we do.  He gets an early foul, we pull him and sit him down for 8-10 minutes because we don't want him to get into foul trouble.  If we bring him in at the 4 minute mark, and he plays 5-6 min without a foul (assuming the logic works and he is not as "geeked" as he normally is when the games start), then we can take him out for a couple of minutes and put him back in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the teams are normally feeling each other out and trying to get pace established the first 4 minutes.  Even if he come in and we're behind 11-5 or something, it's no big deal.  However, if he gets into foul trouble, and we take him out and they then go on an 11-5 run, the momentum is going in the wrong direction. 

Again - just my thoughts on it.  He, more than any other player, must not get into fouls trouble in the tournament.

It's not a dumb thought.
WPS

elksnort

Actually very good idea. Hell, if Ken Bali can starting the national championship game then Daniel Gafford could not start when a first game in the NCAA tournament

razorback1829

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 15, 2018, 09:02:55 pm

Nah. I think it's best to remain consistent with the lineup you have. Dan has been playing the first 5:30 of the game then, coming out, so I would just keep it as is. You don't shake a kids confidence this late.. not even CMA would do it just like you said.

jb11

That's how teams get beat. They think too much. Put your best out there and go with it.

pigture perfect

I agree. Not a bad Idea, probably won't happen tho.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

sickboy

Soooie21

Start your best players...he needs to not try and block every shot...he doesn't need to be out at the 3 point line trying to block shots....

Cotton

I'm starting Gafford everyday and twice on Sunday... Don't out-coach yourself OP.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Bacon_Bitz

When was the last time Gafford really got into foul trouble early anyways?  Seems like the problem is largely solved.

alohawg

Yep, those early dumb fouls are a killer. Next thing you know he has 2 and is on the bench with 12 minutes left in the half.
I'd like to see Thompson start and bring in Gafford with him after the first timeout and play a stretch with both. Then alternate rest and try to have both again down the stretch.
Another thing would be always having 2 senior guards on the floor and let Bailey get 30 minutes.
Also, tbh, wasn't a Thomas fan, but his absense has hurt in areas.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Smalltownhog95

I see both sides so i would say only sit him the first 3 minutes or so. Get him in with some time to get into the flow with Macon and Barford and give 2nd squad a legit scoring threat when those 2 leave.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!