Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why get so upset over things like seeding or talking head predictions

Started by hogsanity, March 13, 2018, 08:26:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

raz1965

Well I root for the SEC but yes it's much more of a help to Arkansas when Arkansas is doing the winning.

RME

Keep the faith. What's good for the SEC is good for Arkansas. They lift us up. We don't have to lift ourselves up. S-E-C! S-E-C!

Corkscrew Johnson

Why seeding matters:

Michigan, a 3 seed, wasn't an elite team.  They were tough, had good size, shot well in the tourney, but here is their road to the finals of the entire NCAA tournament:  14 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, 9 seed, 11 seed.  They made it all the way to the finals before playing anyone deemed a top 20 team.  Remarkable.  To win in the dance, you win in advance.  Give yourself the highest probability of winning by getting seeding properly.  Let the other teams duke it out, maybe you get lucky with some upsets on the other side of the bracket.

While you always want to finish the season playing your best ball, those games in the middle count too. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 03, 2018, 11:25:54 am
Why seeding matters:

Michigan, a 3 seed, wasn't an elite team.  They were tough, had good size, shot well in the tourney, but here is their road to the finals of the entire NCAA tournament:  14 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, 9 seed, 11 seed.  They made it all the way to the finals before playing anyone deemed a top 20 team.  Remarkable.  To win in the dance, you win in advance.  Give yourself the highest probability of winning by getting seeding properly.  Let the other teams duke it out, maybe you get lucky with some upsets on the other side of the bracket.

While you always want to finish the season playing your best ball, those games in the middle count too. 

Their seed had nothing to do with upsets in their bracket. They were hot coming in, had just own the BIG10 tourney and had some quality wins. Seems like some team gets in a busted bracket every year and gets an easy road.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2018, 11:47:46 am
Their seed had nothing to do with upsets in their bracket. They were hot coming in, had just own the BIG10 tourney and had some quality wins. Seems like some team gets in a busted bracket every year and gets an easy road.

Umm, let's use some critical thinking for a second.  If you get ranked a 4 seed or better, you literally have no chance of playing someone ranked in the top 20 until at least the second weekend.  Michigan would not have had to play a 1 seed until their 4th game of the tourney, which gives a lot of time for someone else to do the heavy lifting and pull an upset. Which is what happened.  Hence the saying, to win in the dance, you win in advance....you give yourself the highest probability of making it the farthest possible by better seeding. 

You can call it luck, but as the saying goes, luck is the result of hard work and opportunity. They put themselves in position for their luck by their seeding. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 03, 2018, 01:26:46 pm
Umm, let's use some critical thinking for a second.  If you get ranked a 4 seed or better, you literally have no chance of playing someone ranked in the top 20 until at least the second weekend.  Michigan would not have had to play a 1 seed until their 4th game of the tourney, which gives a lot of time for someone else to do the heavy lifting and pull an upset. Which is what happened.  Hence the saying, to win in the dance, you win in advance....you give yourself the highest probability of making it the farthest possible by better seeding. 

You can call it luck, but as the saying goes, luck is the result of hard work and opportunity. They put themselves in position for their luck by their seeding.

It's win and advance. The saying most typically used is also survive and advance. I mean, come on, man.

latrops

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 03, 2018, 01:26:46 pm

In all for being a 1 through 4 seed.  Basically,  if you do that you are thought to be a top 15 or so team.

That said...drawing a 9, 7, and 11 in the Sweet 16 and beyond is very lucky.