Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boom or Bust

Started by Rbill, January 06, 2018, 07:56:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

My take is we are simply a boom or bust team. That's the result of our system and our coaching. It's not necessarily bad or good. But it means we can legitimately beat anyone and lose to anyone. If we start a game hot it's very likely it will snowball downhill and we'll play loose, have fun, share the ball, and shoot lights out. We'll look like the best team in the country. If we face adversity, it's just as likely we'll stand around clueless with no motion and appear completely incompetent. We'll lose players on the bench, put out weird lineups, play 1on1, and miss everything. That's just the price we pay for having a system without plays, because sometimes it somehow leads to avalanche victories as well.

We aren't a game planning team, not even in the games we win. We're a mojo team. And if it's not there it's not there. Sometimes it's great fun, sometimes it's infuriating. But at the end of the day I'm not convinced that a more conventional system at Arkansas coached by anybody willing to come would bring us better end results. Getting to the tournament and flipping a coin to see if your mojo is on or off is pretty good odds.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Rbill on January 06, 2018, 07:56:39 pm
My take is we are simply a boom or bust team. That's the result of our system and our coaching. It's not necessarily bad or good. But it means we can legitimately beat anyone and lose to anyone. If we start a game hot it's very likely it will snowball downhill and we'll play loose, have fun, share the ball, and shoot lights out. We'll look like the best team in the country. If we face adversity, it's just as likely we'll stand around clueless with no motion and appear completely incompetent. We'll lose players on the bench, put out weird lineups, play 1on1, and miss everything. That's just the price we pay for having a system without plays, because sometimes it somehow leads to avalanche victories as well.

We aren't a game planning team, not even in the games we win. We're a mojo team. And if it's not there it's not there. Sometimes it's great fun, sometimes it's infuriating. But at the end of the day I'm not convinced that a more conventional system at Arkansas coached by anybody willing to come would bring us better end results. Getting to the tournament and flipping a coin to see if your mojo is on or off is pretty good odds.

Of course no one would come here.  We are pore li'l ole Arkysaw after all.