Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned?

Started by incHOGnito, January 05, 2018, 07:58:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

incHOGnito

And I apologize if I missed it, but Barford wasn't just off against MSU, he appeared to have absolutely nothing in the tank.

About ten minutes into the game I thought he looked completely gassed.  I think that was primarily a result of the OT game against Tennessee where he played 40+ minutes, which I think took its toll on Tennessee and was a primary reason they got run out of their own gym against Auburn, bu I have concerns about his minutes stacking up towards the end of the season and him not being fresh.

With an extra day we might have seen a different Barford and he may have his energy back on Saturday, but he clearly was effected by the Tennessee win.

FineAsSwine

I thought he seemed a little flat against MSU as well but so did Anton, which would be understandable considering the minutes they played against Tenn.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

wont be the last time if he and Macon keep having to play 35+min every game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 08:48:31 am

Exactly. We have got to get more production from the bench.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

popcornhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 08:48:31 am

I don't have the numbers, so maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Mike's done a decent job of keeping their minutes under control. With an OT game there is nothing you can do.
WPS

The_Iceman

I believe I have mentioned his 11 points and 0-6 from 3pt many times as a main reason we lost the game.

popcornhog

Quote from: Little Lady Back on January 05, 2018, 08:55:11 am
Exactly. We have got to get more production from the bench.

The bench has had two bad games in the scoring department. I believe they'll snap out of it.
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: popcornhog on January 05, 2018, 08:55:27 am
I don't have the numbers, so maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Mike's done a decent job of keeping their minutes under control. With an OT game there is nothing you can do.

Barford played more minutes against MSU than he did Tn ( 38msu 35 Tn )  Macon played 37 ,su and 41 tn. Both are averaging 30.5min per game, which seems pretty high for anyone on a MA team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 09:13:09 am
Barford played more minutes against MSU than he did Tn ( 38msu 35 Tn )  Macon played 37 ,su and 41 tn. Both are averaging 30.5min per game, which seems pretty high for anyone on a MA team.
right. It's almost inevitable when you have two great guards and not a ton of experience backing them up that they will be asked to pull more than their share, but it does still seem odd. As the year goes on, the younger backups should gain confidence and experience, though.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 05, 2018, 09:15:13 am
right. It's almost inevitable when you have two great guards and not a ton of experience backing them up that they will be asked to pull more than their share, but it does still seem odd. As the year goes on, the younger backups should gain confidence and experience, though.

It almost seems the exact opposite right now. Even as they have more games played Barford and Macon are having to play MORE. Now some of that is just better competition, but I can't remember the last time the Hogs had players averaging that many minutes. They are averaging that even though in many of the easy games they were playing well under 30 mins.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: popcornhog on January 05, 2018, 08:56:02 am
The bench has had two bad games in the scoring department. I believe they'll snap out of it.

True. Hopefully they will get it going Saturday!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hogs run wild

i don't buy that. these guys are young. the games were 3 days apart. macon played more mins and did fine. can't be tapping it on game day, if lack of energy is indeed the issue.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

pigture perfect

Sometimes you just have off games. It could have been fatigue, but it really shouldn't be what a couple of good night sleeps couldn't cure. Especially at their age.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 05, 2018, 08:44:50 am
I thought he seemed a little flat against MSU as well but so did Anton, which would be understandable considering the minutes they played against Tenn.

Anton was actually one of the better players for us until the final minutes. I thought he was playing exceptionally well until late. Barford just didn't have it. Played the same game he always does but shoot 4/15 from the floor and 0/6 from 3. In the end, that's pretty much what cost us the game along with poor FT shooting. But I thought Beard looked pretty sharp until the last couple minutes (which is a big deal, I know).

SSFrazorback

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2018, 08:55:42 am
I believe I have mentioned his 11 points and 0-6 from 3pt many times as a main reason we lost the game.

I feel like spacing was an issue during that game. Barford likes to take his man off the dribble, when he sees a crowd behind his man he opts for the outside shot.

incHOGnito

Quote from: Hogs run wild on January 05, 2018, 09:39:15 am
i don't buy that. these guys are young. the games were 3 days apart. macon played more mins and did fine. can't be tapping it on game day, if lack of energy is indeed the issue.

Barford's style is much more physically demanding than Macon's.

hawg66

I thought much of Barford's struggles were related to Q Weatherspoon. Barford is way too physical for most guards.  Weatherspoon was allowed to get physical with him and was athletic enough to stay with him. Barford got frustrated offensively but he had a solid game in the rest of the areas. I'm not sure AU has anyone who can guard Barford and I expect he'll be looking to make a statement.

Razorod

Quote from: hawg66 on January 05, 2018, 12:25:20 pm
I thought much of Barford's struggles were related to Q Weatherspoon. Barford is way too physical for most guards.  Weatherspoon was allowed to get physical with him and was athletic enough to stay with him. Barford got frustrated offensively but he had a solid game in the rest of the areas. I'm not sure AU has anyone who can guard Barford and I expect he'll be looking to make a statement.
Agreed. I think Barford and the rest of the Hogs come out smoking tomorrow and don't let up.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

niels_boar

We have seemed tight to me coming out of the gate in both SEC games.   We just don't seem to be flying around on D. I thought the energy was different against, say, Minnesota.  We came out locked in and playing free for that game.  It would help if the starters could get an early cushion.  That might help the second unit play with more confidence, which would feedback into keeping the starters more fresh.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

BroyledNutts

Hope the flu bug isn't trying to visit the team ... it's rampant right now in NWA ...

Nickle-Pig

It also concerns me what playing so many minutes with key players will do towards the end of the season. I don't see how we can be the fastest anything very long without a bench. I hope this is temp.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: incHOGnito on January 05, 2018, 07:58:18 am
And I apologize if I missed it, but Barford wasn't just off against MSU, he appeared to have absolutely nothing in the tank.

About ten minutes into the game I thought he looked completely gassed.  I think that was primarily a result of the OT game against Tennessee where he played 40+ minutes, which I think took its toll on Tennessee and was a primary reason they got run out of their own gym against Auburn, bu I have concerns about his minutes stacking up towards the end of the season and him not being fresh.

With an extra day we might have seen a different Barford and he may have his energy back on Saturday, but he clearly was effected by the Tennessee win.
Nailed it! I noticed it Saturday, MA had 0 confidence in the bench, and nothing changed Tuesday, it will be a miserable season unless something changes with the bench.  I have said it a few times, Garland missing is/could be huge for the end result of this season, we are definitely shy one all-around guard.

Hollywood_HOGan45

CJ Jones cannot suck. He must snap out of his funk. He was rushing his shots like crazy. Even going back to the CSU game.