Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any chance we have a dual position coach to save money?

Started by mj4president, January 04, 2018, 08:33:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

Has this been done before? Like a coach who is the DC and does a positional duty too?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Tim Harris

Most DCs also coach a position.

Chavis coached LBers at A&M
Rhoads coached the DBs last year

RaisinHog

Almost always ... Paul rhoads DC / defensive backs .... Chavis / line backer

Cotton

A month ago we were trying to spend $7mm on a head coach and now we're trying to pinch pennies...

Christmas must have hit hogville pretty hard lol

(New Years Eve got me pinching pennies too)
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Cotton on January 04, 2018, 08:45:40 am
A month ago we were trying to spend $7mm on a head coach and now we're trying to pinch pennies...

Christmas must have hit hogville pretty hard lol

(New Years Eve got me pinching pennies too)

Exactly what I was thinking
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 04, 2018, 09:20:18 am
Exactly what I was thinking

That 20% tax on salaries, and buyouts, over $1m adds up, hopefully we can fund a staff.

Rudy Baylor

Hardcore Hoggy

I just hope we have a special teams coach. So aggravating watching our ST suck under Bielema.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 04, 2018, 11:40:55 am
I just hope we have a special teams coach. So aggravating watching our ST suck under Bielema.

MMQB Snowflakes Unlimited won't allow us to hire James Shibest

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 04, 2018, 11:40:55 am
No kidding. JLS, despite his faults as a head coach, was a dedicated special teams coach and was pretty good at his job. I remember in the Sugar Bowl when we blocked the punt towards the end of the game, Petrino said in the press conference that JLS ran up to him during the game and came up with a plan to block the punt based on Ohio State's punt protection scheme he had observed throughout the game. No doubt that would have gone totally under the radar with Bielema at the helm.

One of the crazy things about Bielema was that if you go back and read on his Wisconsin tenure, he said one of the things that helped him the most was delegating special teams to other coaches after a few years of him trying to do it himself. Once he did that, Wisconsin's special teams improved tremendously. Then he gets to Arkansas and tries to do it himself again and utterly failed.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

farmhawg

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 04, 2018, 11:38:47 am
troll accounts should at least be entertaining
Maybe but the op is clearly not very good at it.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 04, 2018, 11:52:06 am
No kidding. JLS, despite his faults as a head coach, was a dedicated special teams coach and was pretty good at his job. I remember in the Sugar Bowl when we blocked the punt towards the end of the game, Petrino said in the press conference that JLS ran up to him during the game and came up with a plan to block the punt based on Ohio State's punt protection scheme he had observed throughout the game. No doubt that would have gone totally under the radar with Bielema at the helm.

One of the crazy things about Bielema was that if you go back and read on his Wisconsin tenure, he said one of the things that helped him the most was delegating special teams to other coaches after a few years of him trying to do it himself. Once he did that, Wisconsin's special teams improved tremendously. Then he gets to Arkansas and tries to do it himself again and utterly failed.

It was just bizarre. I mean likely the most bizarre coaching snafu at Arkansas will always be the fact that Houston Nutt couldn't recruit and develop a QB to save his life even though he was a QB in his playing days, but this was just odd as well. A big fat former lineman coaching ST while also trying to be the Head Coach, what could go wrong?

JusJim

Quote from: mj4president on January 04, 2018, 08:33:48 am
Has this been done before? Like a coach who is the DC and does a positional duty too?
You do realize that here in just a couple of weeks the coaching staff can go from 9 to 10 for the first time ever.....So I really doubt that anyone is very concerned about doubling up and cutting back.