Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

As a coach, not a person, Mike is like Gus. He has to have a very specific

Started by hogsanity, January 04, 2018, 08:26:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

set of players to really do what he wants to do. Gus has to have a big tough QB, a bruising rb, and speedster at WR to run all the fly sweep stuff, and a solid OL.  When any one of those parts is missing Gus cant do what he wants to do.

Mike is the same way. He has to have a long athletic big guy, has to have long armed tough guards, long armed wings that get in passing lanes and tip balls, and a deep bench. When he has those things his teams are pretty good and can do the things he wants to do.

This year, he has the big in Gafford, a future NBA 1st rounder, maybe a lottery pick. He has the guards in Macon and Barford. He is using alot of 3 guard lineups right now to cover the wing. What he really lacks right now is the deep bench. Jones looked like he was going to be a consistent 10 ppg player but has really been slumping, and outside of that there has been no sign of any consistent production from the bench. Mike's system is not made for his guards to have to play 35+ minutes.

I still think they go 23-8 before the sect, and still make the ncaat as a 7 maybe a 6 seed, BUT if the bench play does not improve they could drop a couple more games than it looked like a couple weeks ago.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:26:54 am
set of players to really do what he wants to do. Gus has to have a big tough QB, a bruising rb, and speedster at WR to run all the fly sweep stuff, and a solid OL.  When any one of those parts is missing Gus cant do what he wants to do.

Mike is the same way. He has to have a long athletic big guy, has to have long armed tough guards, long armed wings that get in passing lanes and tip balls, and a deep bench. When he has those things his teams are pretty good and can do the things he wants to do.

This year, he has the big in Gafford, a future NBA 1st rounder, maybe a lottery pick. He has the guards in Macon and Barford. He is using alot of 3 guard lineups right now to cover the wing. What he really lacks right now is the deep bench. Jones looked like he was going to be a consistent 10 ppg player but has really been slumping, and outside of that there has been no sign of any consistent production from the bench. Mike's system is not made for his guards to have to play 35+ minutes.

I still think they go 23-8 before the sect, and still make the ncaat as a 7 maybe a 6 seed, BUT if the bench play does not improve they could drop a couple more games than it looked like a couple weeks ago.

This team has to get more from Thompson, Thomas, Bailey and Cook. They need someone to separate from this group and become a consistent player for the Hogs. It's Bailey one night, Thomas one night but no one you can count on to provide points or a consistent defensive effort on the court.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 04, 2018, 08:34:02 am
This team has to get more from Thompson, Thomas, Bailey and Cook. They need someone to separate from this group and become a consistent player for the Hogs. It's Bailey one night, Thomas one night but no one you can count on to provide points or a consistent defensive effort on the court.

Doubt it's Thompson... CJ averaging close to double digits wouldn't hurt either..

Fan701

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:26:54 am

If you really believe we'll be 23-8 before the SECT, then you really should have no complaints since that implies at least 12 conference wins which will probably be enough to win the conference regular season this year, second place at worst.  I agree with you that we should worry that Barford, Macon, Beard, and Gafford are going to have to play about 35 minutes a game unless our bench comes around.  This is troubling.  Will we have to become a half-court team, play lots of zone defense, too?  Possibly so.

Soooie21

The Hogs don't have a true banger down low....a rebounding machine...This was the 2nd game where Barford was out of control...with all that bad happened, they should have won...but that doesn't mean much..

Danny J

Need Bailey to start in place of Thomas and Thomas to be Gaffords replacement of the bench. I would only play Trey if either the aforementioned are in foul trouble.

lstewart

Seems like a pretty good analogy of Mike and Gus being similar in being dedicated to their one specific philosophy, and levels of success. I think this Hog team is solid, but has some issues that will cost them on the road. As mentioned, seeing some line-up and playing time adjustments may help with some of these problems. I'm not feeling real optimistic with our SEC record... probably 10-8 or maybe 11-7. I think we will have a number of hard fought close loses much like the MSU game. I'm thinking we hit the NCAA tourney with about 22 wins, and as around an 8 seed.

Breems

Quote from: lstewart on January 04, 2018, 10:39:06 am
Seems like a pretty good analogy of Mike and Gus being similar in being dedicated to their one specific philosophy

That's the definition of a system coach, and there are a lot more than Mike and Gus. Many successful, stable coaches are system coaches to some degree. Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich are examples outside of college.

Mike's system is indeed more specific than most and benefits from the players mentioned, but those types of players will make most teams better.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Breems on January 04, 2018, 12:12:42 pm
That's the definition of a system coach, and there are a lot more than Mike and Gus. Many successful, stable coaches are system coaches to some degree. Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich are examples outside of college.

Mike's system is indeed more specific than most and benefits from the players mentioned, but those types of players will make most teams better.

This thread is so stupid. All coaches are dependent on certain types of players and rosters.

Coach K doesn't win big without 5*s anymore than Calipari does.

John Wooden taught to a very specific system and didn't deviate much. Vince Lombardi, same thing. John Calhoun same thing.

This is just a veiled attempt to claim MA is a poor coach. Not surprising that the all the haters are out after a loss though.

Poker_hog

Who wouldn't be successful with those type players?

Who is winning with a bad o line, slow receivers, a fragil rb, and a small wimpy qb?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogsanity

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 04, 2018, 12:31:43 pm

Who is winning with a bad o line, slow receivers, a fragil rb, and a small wimpy qb?

Wisc went 13-1 this season with basically a RB and a TE. Ohio St won 12 games with a QB and a RB. I think their leading receiver had about 600 yards.

Some coaches just seem more married to their style than others, and at times seem very reluctant to do anything else.

Looking at this years basketball team and the almost invisible bench right now, will MA change anything he does to try to compensate for the lack of bench play, especially at the guard spot, or will he continue to ask Barford and Macon to play 35+ every night?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Poker_hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 12:37:29 pm
Wisc went 13-1 this season with basically a RB and a TE. Ohio St won 12 games with a QB and a RB. I think their leading receiver had about 600 yards.

Some coaches just seem more married to their style than others, and at times seem very reluctant to do anything else.

Looking at this years basketball team and the almost invisible bench right now, will MA change anything he does to try to compensate for the lack of bench play, especially at the guard spot, or will he continue to ask Barford and Macon to play 35+ every night?

I don't recall hardly any pressing at msu.  Part of it may have been how easily msu broke it down the first time they pressed.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PygmalionEffect2

Thought Mike got out-coached in this one.  The Miss St. coach had a game plan to attack Thompson when he was in the game and Mike didn't adjust by getting out of man to man defense and we got exposed in critical situations.

We didn't get blown out.  I'm still cautiously optimistic we can have a good year in conference if a couple of young bench players start to come into their own with less and less playing time for the senior front line players.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

hogsanity

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 04, 2018, 01:15:35 pm
I don't recall hardly any pressing at msu.  Part of it may have been how easily msu broke it down the first time they pressed.

The main issue, imo, this year is the lack of depth. In 2 sec games they have gotten 19 points from the bench. Mike's style is just not designed for anyone to play 35+ minutes every game. 

Fan701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 04, 2018, 12:16:52 pm
This thread is so stupid. All coaches are dependent on certain types of players and rosters.

Coach K doesn't win big without 5*s anymore than Calipari does.

John Wooden taught to a very specific system and didn't deviate much. Vince Lombardi, same thing. John Calhoun same thing.

This is just a veiled attempt to claim MA is a poor coach. Not surprising that the all the haters are out after a loss though.
The sophisticated way to say MA is a poor coach is to damn him with faint praise: Compare him to Malzahn, for instance, who is unpopular in Arkansas right now, or say MA is a good person, BUT .....  Say, yes he can win, but only if he has really good players, just the right kind.  But that's true of every coach I can think of.  I always wonder if any of these guys do this thought experiment.  Move Calipari to Arkansas and Anderson to Kentucky and see who would be the world famous coach.  Ok, maybe Coach C. would be able to do his quasi-cheating (or maybe outright cheating) and get five stars to come here.  Anderson doesn't pay the players.  He has a good team made up of real college students, no one-and-dones, though Gafford might end up one, even if he wasn't predicted to be one.  Not a five star on the roster.  If you always have access to the best players, like Cal, it's pretty easy to always be good.  Anderson is usually pretty good, and he's had a total of one five star player, Bobby Portis.  Whenever he has a chance at one, a Perry, a Monk, or a Goodwin, in comes the money to take him away.  MA plays clean, and UA punches way above its weight in basketball.  After a tough loss, it's easy to lose perspective.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on January 04, 2018, 01:17:24 pm
Thought Mike got out-coached in this one.  The Miss St. coach had a game plan to attack Thompson when he was in the game and Mike didn't adjust by getting out of man to man defense and we got exposed in critical situations.

We didn't get blown out.  I'm still cautiously optimistic we can have a good year in conference if a couple of young bench players start to come into their own with less and less playing time for the senior front line players.

Ben Howland is a very good Coach.

Coach Anderson was 1-9 against Bill Self when Anderson was at Missouri.

Coach Anderson is now 1-3 against Howland.

There are just certain opposing Head Coaches that Coach Anderson will have to "step-up" his coaching against or it will be a game lost.

Fan701

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 04, 2018, 02:29:08 pm

There are just certain opposing Head Coaches that Coach Anderson will have to "step-up" his coaching against or it will be a game lost.
Yes, Ben Howland might be a good coach but he is knee deep in the corruption.  We know how Kevin Love ended up at UCLA:  a $250,000 payoff was involved http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/espn-jay-williams-kevin-love-aau-coach-250-college-basketball-scandal-fbi-ncaa.  Did Russell Westbrook come Howland's way the same way?  Did Reggie Perry suddenly change his commitment, forsake all his AAU buddies for love of cowbells?

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 04, 2018, 02:29:08 pm

I could have told you it would not an time at all before someone accused Howland of being dirty. And They will do the same to Self and Calipari and any other coach Anderson has trouble against.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Fan701 on January 04, 2018, 02:47:09 pm
Yes, Ben Howland might be a good coach but he is knee deep in the corruption.  We know how Kevin Love ended up at UCLA:  a $250,000 payoff was involved http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/espn-jay-williams-kevin-love-aau-coach-250-college-basketball-scandal-fbi-ncaaDid Russell Westbrook come Howland's way the same way?  Did Reggie Perry suddenly change his commitment, forsake all his AAU buddies for love of cowbells?

I might be mistaken, but I believe Westbrook was a 3 Star recruit.  If I am correct about that, then it is highly doubtful very many schools were after Westbrook.  Howland did turn Westbrook into an elite player though.

AAU and the shoe manufacturers are the ones who are corrupt.  It is not fair to put Head Coaches under a blanket of corruption due to the shenanigans of the AAU and shoe manufacturers. 

Rick Pitino as far as I know is the only Head Coach who has been linked to the shenanigans of the AAU and the shoe manufacturers.  It has primarily been some Assistant Coaches who have been linked.

Fan701

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 04, 2018, 02:57:16 pm
I might be mistaken, but I believe Westbrook was a 3 Star recruit.  If I am correct about that, then it is highly doubtful very many schools were after Westbrook.  Howland did turn Westbrook into an elite player though.

AAU and the shoe manufacturers are the ones who are corrupt.  It is not fair to put Head Coaches under a blanket of corruption due to the shenanigans of the AAU and shoe manufacturers. 

Rick Pitino as far as I know is the only Head Coach who has been linked to the shenanigans of the AAU and the shoe manufacturers.  It has primarily been some Assistant Coaches who have been linked.
You could be right about Westbrook.  Am I the only one to be very dubious of the excuse that it was only those wicked assistants who did the dirty work?  The head coach knew nothing about it.  Maybe, but it strains at least my credulity.

Fan701

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 02:51:32 pm
I could have told you it would not an time at all before someone accused Howland of being dirty. And They will do the same to Self and Calipari and any other coach Anderson has trouble against.
I would say that there are very strong suspicions that Howland recruits dirty.  I think it is naïve to think otherwise.  I wrote nothing about Self, but Calipari has made a career of dubious dealings.  Has any other coach had multiple final four appearances vacated for cheating?  Yes, he managed to distance himself from the stink, and he carries on, lionized by sports pundits.  The idea that these guys were in the dark and were shocked, shocked to find that corners were cut, and money paid is hard for me to believe.  Maybe you are more trusting that I am.  Maybe that's a good quality in you as long as most of your dealings are with honest people.

hogsanity

Quote from: Fan701 on January 04, 2018, 03:13:20 pm
I would say that there are very strong suspicions that Howland recruits dirty.  I think it is naïve to think otherwise.  I wrote nothing about Self, but Calipari has made a career of dubious dealings.  Has any other coach had multiple final four appearances vacated for cheating?  Yes, he managed to distance himself from the stink, and he carries on, lionized by sports pundits.  The idea that these guys were in the dark and were shocked, shocked to find that corners were cut, and money paid is hard for me to believe.  Maybe you are more trusting that I am.  Maybe that's a good quality in you as long as most of your dealings are with honest people.

I did not say they are or are not dirty, I said that is the line trotted out anytime a coach beats Mike alot or steals away a recruit. They may all be dirty as sin, but it only gets brought up if they beat Mike on the floor or for a player.

hobhog

All I know is Mike has the tools to do some damage this year. Everyone can see it. I think it will be an up and down year, but at the dance I know I wouldn't want to play us.

If he fails to make March that's all on him. But doubt that will be an issue- this team is streaky and with right streak we could go places.

Fan701

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 03:18:08 pm
I did not say they are or are not dirty, I said that is the line trotted out anytime a coach beats Mike alot or steals away a recruit. They may all be dirty as sin, but it only gets brought up if they beat Mike on the floor or for a player.
Yes, losing to a possible cheater does add to the sting and does bring the issue to mind.  Is that surprising?  Ole Miss used to own us, but I never accused Andy Kennedy of being dirty.  Kennedy's having a tough year, but I think he's a good coach at a horrible basketball school, and as far as I know clean.  I think pointing out that Mike Anderson plays clean, whereas it is quite possible that some of his opponents don't is justified and much to his credit.

Allhawgdawg

Quote from: Danny J on January 04, 2018, 09:20:09 am
Need Bailey to start in place of Thomas and Thomas to be Gaffords replacement of the bench. I would only play Trey if either the aforementioned are in foul trouble.

This right here! Trey coming in is equal to taking all the air out of any run we might be in. He is a turnover machine and has somehow figured out a way to get worse and worse in each of his 4,seems like 8, years here. Time to move on from that failed project.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Whatever it takes to win.  We switched to zone during the run to the ncaat last year for a few games because that is what was needed.

HogBreath

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 04, 2018, 12:31:43 pm

Exactly......such a silly, silly thread.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Paul

Quote from: Fan701 on January 04, 2018, 02:06:31 pm
The sophisticated way to say MA is a poor coach is to damn him with faint praise: Compare him to Malzahn, for instance, who is unpopular in Arkansas right now, or say MA is a good person, BUT .....  Say, yes he can win, but only if he has really good players, just the right kind.  But that's true of every coach I can think of.  I always wonder if any of these guys do this thought experiment.  Move Calipari to Arkansas and Anderson to Kentucky and see who would be the world famous coach.  Ok, maybe Coach C. would be able to do his quasi-cheating (or maybe outright cheating) and get five stars to come here.  Anderson doesn't pay the players.  He has a good team made up of real college students, no one-and-dones, though Gafford might end up one, even if he wasn't predicted to be one.  Not a five star on the roster.  If you always have access to the best players, like Cal, it's pretty easy to always be good.  Anderson is usually pretty good, and he's had a total of one five star player, Bobby Portis.  Whenever he has a chance at one, a Perry, a Monk, or a Goodwin, in comes the money to take him away.  MA plays clean, and UA punches way above its weight in basketball.  After a tough loss, it's easy to lose perspective.
Let's be honest. You don't know if MA or Andy Kennedy doesn't cheat but all you have to do is Google Howland to know he was considered one of the top 3 suspected cheaters behind Cal & Scott Drew & ahead of Calhoun in a confidential survey in 2012   

Fan701

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2018, 08:45:27 pm
Let's be honest. You don't know if MA or Andy Kennedy doesn't cheat but all you have to do is Google Howland to know he was considered one of the top 3 suspected cheaters behind Cal & Scott Drew & ahead of Calhoun in a confidential survey in 2012
I agree with almost all you write.  But I'd say I'm 99.99% sure that Mike Anderson doesn't cheat, and I'd say that's the consensus of almost all who know him and know how he operates.  BTW for those of you who are curious about the website Paul refers to:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/critical-coaches-who-is-perceived-to-be-the-biggest-cheater-in-the-sport/  Ben Howland has long been suspected of cheating by his fellow coaches, as has Calipari.

Basketball fan

You all need to realize the problem was is and will be is when hugs face  disciplined team they are Always gonna lose...organized chaos does not trump disciplined chaos

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Basketball fan on January 04, 2018, 09:59:24 pm
You all need to realize the problem was is and will be is when hugs face  disciplined team they are Always gonna lose...organized chaos does not trump disciplined chaos

Come again ???

Organized - "arranged in a systematic way, especially on a large scale"

vs.

Disciplined - "showing a controlled form of behavior or way of working"

Chaos - "complete disorder and confusion" (this is completely at odds with both discipline and organized)

Can you explain?

I'll hang up and listen...

hobhog

Quote from: Fan701 on January 04, 2018, 02:06:31 pm

Lost me at end. "Punches way above weight class".

I suggest you go see the "darkest hour". In theaters now.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Basketball fan on January 04, 2018, 09:59:24 pm
You all need to realize the problem was is and will be is when hugs face  disciplined team they are Always gonna lose

Like that time when I dated a dominatrix? I used to like the way she disciplined me when I "hugged" her. Ouch!  ;D