Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Serious Justification for JL and BB--What is Their Positive Legacy at UA

Started by arkansashogs, November 15, 2017, 07:46:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkansashogs

What is the positive legacy left by JL and BB (perhaps little too early for BB)?

Stadium expansion?
Integrity U?

anything else?

Oklahawg

Plenty, but it is hard to see that in the "heat of the moment." May even take the next AD or coach to provide proper context.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jst01

Nouston Hutt

1-0 mentality, #Uncommon, Long on Intergrity lol thats what there legacy currently is. A JOKE. Lets get back to winning....at the very least be competitive.

baitshop

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 15, 2017, 07:58:29 pm
Plenty, but it is hard to see that in the "heat of the moment." May even take the next AD or coach to provide proper context.

Oh, the next AD will absolutely show the quality of todays firing....don't look for an improvement.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

ricepig

SPAL

cjack

Woooo Pig Soooie!

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

logic

$160 million boondoggle, self promotion, and taking credit for what Frank Broyles already established. Also, giving BB a million dollar raise, a contract extension, and bigger buyout after thee years of a loosing football record.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: arkansashogs on November 15, 2017, 07:46:54 pm
What is the positive legacy left by JL and BB (perhaps little too early for BB)?

Stadium expansion?
Integrity U?

anything else?

Well, let's see, on JL's watch we built the indoor baseball/track facility, the Jerry Jones success center, the basketball practice facility, the football operations center, and the new north end zone expansion. 

And we did go to the Sugar Bowl and the Cotton Bowl and the College World Series and a couple of NCAA tournaments. 

And men and women's track won a few national championships. 

And other sports like tennis, soccer and golf seem to be on solid footing. 

And we became something like the 14th richest program in the country.

But other than that, not much.

OneLardAlmighty

In fact, looking at the master facilities plan he unveiled in 2011, I'd say JL did a pretty good job of hacking away at it in the time he had to work with.  https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2011/10/18/ua-unveils-athletic-facilities-master-plan/.

OneLard, are these things that most any average AD couldn't have done.  I surely see that this was done on Jeff's watch and therefore, even if he did nothing or he did everything to cause these things to happen, no matter, he gets the credit and thats fair.  But I believe about anyone standing in that position could have done these things.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

East Clintwood

The negatives for both outweigh whatever positives they may have had.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

bondhue

That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

MissippHog

Quote from: arkansashogs on November 15, 2017, 07:46:54 pm

Stadium expansion?
Integrity U?

anything else?
Does it matter?  It will be rewritten by agenda-driven Hogvillians anyways.

IronMountainHog

The B.B. initialed pullover he wore against Auburn. Not sure what happened to that thing, but it's probably covering an indoor circus nowadays.

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: 12247 on November 15, 2017, 11:13:26 pm
OneLard, are these things that most any average AD couldn't have done.  I surely see that this was done on Jeff's watch and therefore, even if he did nothing or he did everything to cause these things to happen, no matter, he gets the credit and thats fair.  But I believe about anyone standing in that position could have done these things.

Perhaps.  But he's the one who did them, and that required planning, fund-raising, and project management.  Contrary to the thoughts of many on HV at the time, our overall facilities were subpar by SEC standards when he arrived.  He changed that with a comprehensive, forward-thinking plan that he then put into action.  He got a lot of it implemented in a relatively short time.  His and CBB's successors will have a lot to work with. 

If we're going to play this game where all of JL's accomplishments are dismissed in advance as those that any AD could have done, while every fault is magnified, no matter how small-- eliminating slobbering hog, eg, or allegedly 'not caring' about the program, which is nonsense--then there's really no point in asking the original question of this thread.   Because it means people aren't interested in honest answers.  But that's the way mobs work.  Once these things take on a life of their own; reason flies out the window.

His football coaching hires have clearly not worked out, though we can debate the Petrino decision till the cows come home.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, JL didn't create that situation. I suppose we can also fault him for the terms of CBB's contract, though hindsight is clearer than foresight, and maybe we should hold fire on that till we see what it's actually going to cost.   The crisis in the football program appears to have deteriorated to the point that it cannot be salvaged under this coaching regime.  Though I am sorry things didn't work out for Bielema, I think it's time for a change in HC now.  I have no idea whether JL was willing to move on from CBB after this year or would've been more willing than in the past to receive input regarding his successor.  Perhaps his departure was necessitated by his intransigence over these issues.  I don't know.  What is clear is that he  managed to alienate some big boosters, some of whom helped create the mess back in 2004-2007 that he was brought in to clean up.  But then I suspect some of them were probably alienated by the fact that he was here at all and were simply biding their time for an opportunity like this one.  Until we learn that JL took a bullet for CBB or there is some credible public revelation of financial wrongdoing with documentation and people's names attached--and not just anonymous message board rumors and innuendo--this thing will appear to be pretty much what it looks like:  a coup by the old guard to regain control over the program and establish their men in the AD's and HC's offices. 

So the band is back together.  I hope they know what they're doing this time.  The last time they were in control things didn't turn out so well.  It ended like most bands end, in an ugly breakup.  They couldn't even agree with each other over what to do about JFB, HDN, and Gus.  But now we're supposed to believe that they're all singing in harmony from the same song sheet.  Ok.

I suppose I'm in favor of bringing in an "Arkansas man", because it probably takes an Arkansas man to navigate the byzantine intrigues of Arkansas football politics.  If they can be navigated at all.  I'm not so sure.  It may simply be part of the curse inflicted upon Arkansas football that we are condemned to living a soap opera as far as the eye can see.