Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long decisions to reverse: Artificial turf and slobbering Hog

Started by Rey Pygsterio, November 15, 2017, 10:28:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 15, 2017, 10:51:21 am

Yes, and let's stop referring to THE  University of Arkansas, as the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. According to the Demo-Zette that was a Long concoction as well, not the Demo-Zette's idea.

That was a Long idea? Why in the hell is the Democrat-Gazette going along with it??? Was he so powerful that he could even prevent the paper from using the comma behind Fayetteville?! That reference must end immediately in stories that are only about the Razorbacks.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

hassettsportsman

Bring back the Cardinal and White...it's called tradition.  By the way, fresh Maine Lobster is at a season low price.  The lobstermen are still fishing!

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

longpig

Football and fights are meant to be decided on natural terrain.  There is no artificial turf at the Alma Sonic and shouldn't be in Razorback Stadium either.
Don't be scared, be smart.

J-Five

I was one of the few that liked Jeff Long.  Wish him nothing but the best.  I hope the new AD  is selected because of his accomplishments, not just because he has southern ties.  I also hope he's forward-thinking as well...just my take. 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Malvin

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 15, 2017, 10:59:13 am
The turf should be here to stay.  A lot of programs have gone that route, even the smaller schools.  Better aesthetically for the HD TVs and the UHD TVs and safer for the players.

Could care less about looking squeaky clean on TV, I want our players to look like they are playing a football game, grass and mud all over them.  And safer for the players?  Tell that to all of the broken legs and blown knees we have this year.  It's time to go back to Hog ball, stop trying to look like a bunch of ferries running around the field.

GoHogzzGo

As long as we win I don't care if the field is made out of tiny puppies and the LSU symbol is on our basketball court. Just win, in whichever sport.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 15, 2017, 10:59:13 am
The turf should be here to stay.  A lot of programs have gone that route, even the smaller schools.  Better aesthetically for the HD TVs and the UHD TVs and safer for the players.

Real grass is safer than any artificial stuff.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Junkyard Hog

Rustyhog

Just to set a few items straight.

1 - As much as I despise Long, Pepsi was NOT Long's fault. That was a campus decision. Now, an argument COULD be made that since the AD seems to sell rights to anything they can for a buck, they could have worked out SOME sort of sponsorship for that to correct that mistake in the AD facilities only. My guess is IMG is somehow making money from it. JMO

2 - The "Slobbering Hog" at mid court was something that just happened by accident. That hog was never really an official logo. I was painted by the physical plant on campus. They were charged with painting it and at the time. That was the best they could do. The technology wasn't there to paint a court or midfield like there is now. The only places that hog was really ever used was MID COURT at basketball, on the Razorback Transit buses on campus and the bridge at the Weddington exit.

BroyledNutts

Thought of a couple more:

Incessant awards at field level for corporate sponsors who received a similar award at the last home game
Multiples of spot advertising between timeouts, tv breaks, and possession changes
Uprooting season ticket holders to build more suites and other high donor amenities which will be mostly bought by corporate entities and stand empty during the season

I was taught long ago that if you're going to say something negative about someone, to also include something positive, so here goes - Mr. Long did some good things in facility improvement - LED ribbon screens, improved and expanded jumbo trons at RWRRS, Bud, and and the many improvements at Baum Stadium he had a part in. He also was part of good things in aesthetics around athletic facilities - the campus in those areas are much nicer and prettier than they've ever been...and he may have had a hand in those designs. The practice facilities for football and basketball, the girls' athletic facilities ... so credit where credit is due.

Hogberry Snortcake

Wildhog

Agree on slobberin' hog, but keep the turf.

And coca-cola, obviously.  Priorities.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

lawhawg20

Not a Long decision, but can we get rid of the a-wooo sound that people have been adding to the hog call?  It sounds like a howl and, frankly, drives me nuts.  I've been going to sports bars in Dallas and every time a millennial calls the hogs by going a-woooooo pig sooiee, I end up getting kicked out for stabbing someone.  Fortunately, missing the end of games this year is not a big deal, but I hope that will change in the future. 

LJHOG

oldhog63

Quote from: goodguytex on November 15, 2017, 10:44:44 am
This!! I hate that new one. And I have a cap, my favorite fitted one, with that on the back. Still hate the forward hog though
Top of my list too.

tolerati

Quote from: Malvin on November 15, 2017, 10:46:13 am
That uni should be worn every year, simple but looks totally bad ass.

Great looking uniform... Hope it makes a comeback ...
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

_Hamlet_

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on November 15, 2017, 10:28:52 am
Long caved in to Petrino demands to rip out the grass and install turf. Time to right that wrong.

Removal of the slobbering Hog in favor of "proper brand marks" was another big mistake. Hawg Ball is back. The one on the court should reflect it.

What are yours?

AGREED.

_Hamlet_

ricepig

Quote from: tolerati on November 15, 2017, 12:48:22 pm
Great looking uniform... Hope it makes a comeback ...

Only if they pay up, we're now going to have to double our commercial timeouts and honoring the big donors to pay the buyouts.........

woodhog14

Quote from: geauxhawgs on November 15, 2017, 10:46:59 am
Jeff Longs biggest failures:

1) Not doing whatever it took to keep LSU game in tact and in Little Rock
2) CBB
3) Never was in touch with the average fan and what we wanted
4) John L Smith
5) Coke
6) Divided the fan base with his holier than tho approach
7) Pumba Hog
8) Made it more about business than the state of Arkansas and the people.
9) Not being 100% truthful about academics for as much as he pushed it and sold it.
10) His marketing was awful. He never understood the big picture of Arkansas or the South.

I wish him the best of luck. Overall I think he's a good guy, but he needs to head back to the North.
Jeff Long had nothing to do with #1 and #5. The SEC did #1 and the University did the Pepsi contract,

Danny J

Danny J

Also...I think it was the SEC that mandated all schools use a forward facing logo whenever appropriate and I think it had something to do with the SECn.

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Corkscrew Johnson

You should have known Long was gonna be a failure from year 1.  He crowed about his marketing expertise, but made a series of moves that could be deemed amateurish at best:

1.  The new logo, period.  It's not the logo itself that needs to be intimidating, it's what the logo represents.  And all variations of our previous logos that have been eliminated for the sake of the "one logo" concept, ie slobbering hog. 
2.  The uniforms.  Again, adding "tusks" to the jersey and pants.  They look like a combination of an arena league team and the intro montage of a bad 90s sitcom.  Fail.  The faux futuristc font.  Fail.   And this is a big deal, we essentially get free marketing of our brand to millions of people every Saturday through our uniforms. 
3.  He whored out our apparel licenses to any tom, dick or jane would wanted to sell a Razorback product.  As a result, you see a smattering of colors as low-cost vendors look to achieve economies of scale by combining merchandising orders with schools like Oklahoma, Indiana, and every shade of red imaginable.  No consistency across our products. 
4.  We have managed to destroy the vibe at basketball games with commercials and premium seating.  Penny wise and pound foolish.

The Long hire was a classic case of academia syndrome, when some academic smartypants thinks he knows more than anyone else about business, without ever actually having executed in business before. 

Airforcehawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 10:52:57 am
Just do it.

They need to paint that on top of BWA so when people are flying in....they know exactly where they are!

Mike Irwin

Long caved in to Petrino demands to rip out the grass and install turf. Time to right that wrong.

Removal of the slobbering Hog in favor of "proper brand marks" was another big mistake. Hawg Ball is back. The one on the court should reflect it.

What are yours?
I have been told that the next AD will be hired with a mandate to roll back many of Long's policies. A dead giveaway as to where they're headed next is the promotion of Kevin Trainor today. He will move up to near the top of the athletics department. Kevin was Frank's step son-in- law. He's been working at the athletics department since the 80's. He's a people person and is very familiar with the way things were done previously.

Bring back real grass. Bring back the slobber.

1highhog

What are yours?

I like the turf, grass is for 3yds and a cloud of dust football.  Turf is for the brand of football that everyone these days it seems wants back on the hill.  I would appreciate Coke being brought back, Pepsi is like drinking a diet coke that's been pissed in said a good friend of mine, he should know, I pissed in his.  Bring back the slobberin Hog for the basketball court.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 15, 2017, 01:12:16 pm
I have been told that the next AD will be hired with a mandate to roll back many of Long's policies. A dead giveaway as to where they're headed next is the promotion of Kevin Trainor today. He will move up to near the top of the athletics department. Kevin was Frank's step son-in- law. He's been working at the athletics department since the 80's. He's a people person and is very familiar with the way things were done previously.

Death to RSVP ... Mike, do you believe Kevin is a good fit in that role? He's always seemed to be very capable at any position he's held ...

Rustyhog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 15, 2017, 01:05:16 pm

3.  He whored out our apparel licenses to any tom, dick or jane would wanted to sell a Razorback product.  As a result, you see a smattering of colors as low-cost vendors look to achieve economies of scale by combining merchandising orders with schools like Oklahoma, Indiana, and every shade of red imaginable.  No consistency across our products. 
4.  We have managed to destroy the vibe at basketball games with commercials and premium seating.  Penny wise and pound foolish.

The Long hire was a classic case of academia syndrome, when some academic smartypants thinks he knows more than anyone else about business, without ever actually having executed in business before.

These 2 items! Understand that IMG, the marketing company LONG hired to run all things advertising, NOW OWNS CLC!  They want to cut ALL VENDORS OUT & give rights to only a few. It's called +1. The LICENSING director is NOW known as Licensing & Revenue generation Director!

Long, IMG, CLC, Licensing Director have taken Royalties from 9.5% to 16% in the past 3 years! 17% for Hats! As for the color... well, NIKE decides what our color is now.

As for the VIBE at a game, Long thinks we should act like an NFL team. The COLLEGE atmosphere is NOTHING like a Pro game. Ever been to an NFL or Pro Basketball game? THE COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE IS SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER! The BAND & CHEERLEADERS, along with the traditions make College sports what they are! We don't need PIPED IN MUSIC, WE HAVE A FREAKING BAND for that!

People that attend College games are DIFFERENT! NFL fans are just that... FANS! College fans TYPICALLY went to school there, have a child going to school there, have FAMILY attending school there... College fans ARE ATTACHED FOR LIFE with their school. NFL fans just like a team because they live there or like someone there. College fans ACTUALLY (usually) have a life long tie to their institution.

jgphillips3

First - Can Bielema
Second - Slobberin' Hog returns, Forward facing Hog goes milk carton
Third - Coca-Cola returns

Tuskarilla

1highhog

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 10:36:06 am
Hate the forward facing hog.  Makes me think of ASU.
amen on this one 
and get rid of all the black:  uniforms, outlining, lettering.   We are not Georgia.
Cardinal and white.

cosmodrum

So Long is Obama, and the next guy is Trump.
Go away, batin'

justmakeit2thebcs

Yep, he standardized the cardinal color and logo, what an evil man.  Also, gave his coaches the playing surface they wanted, just awful.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: geauxhawgs on November 15, 2017, 10:46:59 am
Jeff Longs biggest failures:

1) Not doing whatever it took to keep LSU game in tact and in Little Rock
2) CBB
3) Never was in touch with the average fan and what we wanted
4) John L Smith
5) Coke
6) Divided the fan base with his holier than tho approach
7) Pumba Hog
8) Made it more about business than the state of Arkansas and the people.
9) Not being 100% truthful about academics for as much as he pushed it and sold it.
10) His marketing was awful. He never understood the big picture of Arkansas or the South.

I wish him the best of luck. Overall I think he's a good guy, but he needs to head back to the North.

YOu forgot number one.  FIring a successful coach and replacing him with Bb
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Ex-Trumpet

Kevin and I had brief run-ins on campus back in the '80's, was always a very nice guy.  He had no reason to be nice to me but was anyway!

Good news all day long!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Occams Razorback

As mentioned in part, the "secondary or accent" colors of black and gray should be shown the door as well
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

98hogs

98hogs

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on November 15, 2017, 03:22:45 pm
Yep, he standardized the cardinal color and logo, what an evil man.  Also, gave his coaches the playing surface they wanted, just awful.
Jeff go home

Inhogswetrust

IF Slobbering Hog comes back to BWA then the firing will be justified.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowTheHedgehog

I don't think we will see natural grass again. We are in a bad spot for having grass. It will either look bad at the start or end of the season.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 15, 2017, 01:27:26 pm
Death to RSVP ... Mike, do you believe Kevin is a good fit in that role? He's always seemed to be very capable at any position he's held ...
Kevin's promotion is not official but that's the word I'm getting. Most of Long's staff will be gone soon. Kevin will move up.

Hou-Hog

What are yours?
developing a consistent brand with one razorback was his best decision