Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Nutt on Arkansas Football

Started by WilsonHog, November 14, 2017, 06:47:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Just a couple of comments, courtesy of Bo Mattingly.

Nutt on the lack of SEC talent in the state of Arkansas: "There are a lot of 6-foot-6 guys who aren't going to be in the NBA, and you need to get them out on the football field."

Nutt on if Arkansas can have success in the SEC again: "It's a hard, hard job. But it can be done. ... Stay unified. Get with those high school coaches. Do not let the good players leave the state."

moses_007

Hootie would love to sneak right in again and be either our head coach or AD.

DOGALUM

He can go straight to hell. 

Did he recommend banging a news anchor?

Did he suggest BB get a fat Hog lady friend to harass Cole Kelley?

Did he throw out the old code red for a freshman?

Perhaps he gave advice on how not to win with three NFL RBs in your backfield.

MOTHO has zero business even thinking about Razorback football....much less speaking about it.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Poker_hog

Chuck said it would take 10 years for the program to recover after firing Nutt.  10 years later we're in the same shape as when Nutt was let go.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

BigE_23

Quote from: Poker_hog on November 14, 2017, 06:57:31 pm
Chuck said it would take 10 years for the program to recover after firing Nutt.  10 years later we're in the same shape as when Nutt was let go.

Except for the fact that we weren't in the same shape under Bobby Petrino. It was HIS firing that we haven't recovered from. 21-5 in two seasons is quite a nice recovery, but how quickly we forget.

Granny fan

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 14, 2017, 06:51:08 pm

MOTHO has zero business even thinking about Razorback football....much less speaking about it.

This^^^^^ He does not need to even step foot on that campus!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: BigE_23 on November 14, 2017, 07:03:19 pm
Except for the fact that we weren't in the same shape under Bobby Petrino. It was HIS firing that we haven't recovered from. 21-5 in two seasons is quite a nice recovery, but how quickly we forget.

This.

We recovered, then fell apart again.

PharmacistHog

Geez man let it go. He's not coming back.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Poker_hog

Well if you ignore the other 8 years that we've lost at least 5 games a year, I guess it hasn't been too bad.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Poker_hog on November 14, 2017, 06:57:31 pm

Three years after Nutt was gone we were calling the Hogs on Bourbon Street. The next year we finished in the top 5. We did fine without him.

swineology

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 14, 2017, 06:47:21 pm

Nutt on the lack of SEC talent in the state of Arkansas: "There are a lot of 6-foot-6 guys who aren't going to be in the NBA, and you need to get them out on the football field."

Nutt on if Arkansas can have success in the SEC again: "It's a hard, hard job. But it can be done. ... Stay unified. Get with those high school coaches. Do not let the good players leave the state."

I can't get over how infatuated the Midget is with TCTWF.
You can't make this $hit up. I don't want MOTHO anywhere close to this program even as a janitor.
;)

cjack

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 14, 2017, 07:11:01 pm

He didn't say bring Petrino back. The guy he quoted said it would take 10 years to come back and 10 years later were still in the same shape. 

All that was pointed out was we "recovered" from Nutt leaving very quickly under Petrino.  We can do it again with the right selection this time.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Jimbob111

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 14, 2017, 07:11:01 pm

No, he's not, nor is any coach of his ability likely to come. What a lot of fans are not letting go is the fact that with a good coach, Arkansas can win at a high level. That's what a lot of us can't let go.

But instead, a lot of people who don't realize football has changed in the past 40 years want to play "smash mouth" football instead of embracing the rule changes that have dramatically changed the way the game is played.

Smash mouth football--the whole 3 yards and a cloud of dust-- is dead, and has been, with the last successful proponent of that school of thought switching to a dual-threat QB and up-tempo offense.

Give it up, old timers, coaches who know Xs and Os is the future, coaches who exploit other players and coaches, not coaches who insanely run head-on into the strength of a defense until their players give up.

Petrino's not coming back. You morons that think someone actually thinks this could happen are idiots. But the fact that he won, at the highest level Arkansas has seen in 30 years, maybe ever, should tell you what kind of coach is needed at Arkansas. Wishing it wasn't this way doesn't change the way it is.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

26.2Hog

Yes.

Also, did he mention?:

8 plays
4 TDs
260 yards
1:32

He should stick to speaking about his alma mater, Okie State light, where he was a backup QB, and only got occasional mop up duty.

oldhawg

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 14, 2017, 08:13:36 pm
No, he's not, nor is any coach of his ability likely to come. What a lot of fans are not letting go is the fact that with a good coach, Arkansas can win at a high level. That's what a lot of us can't let go.

But instead, a lot of people who don't realize football has changed in the past 40 years want to play "smash mouth" football instead of embracing the rule changes that have dramatically changed the way the game is played.

Smash mouth football--the whole 3 yards and a cloud of dust-- is dead, and has been, with the last successful proponent of that school of thought switching to a dual-threat QB and up-tempo offense.

Give it up, old timers, coaches who know Xs and Os is the future, coaches who exploit other players and coaches, not coaches who insanely run head-on into the strength of a defense until their players give up.

Petrino's not coming back. You morons that think someone actually thinks this could happen are idiots. But the fact that he won, at the highest level Arkansas has seen in 30 years, maybe ever, should tell you what kind of coach is needed at Arkansas. Wishing it wasn't this way doesn't change the way it is.

Essentially I agree with this, but without calling people names or being contentious.

It's taken a while to accept it, but football has changed considerably since the sixties and seventies.  Smash mouth is a thing of the past.

I think that is why so many people are/were upset that BB tried to bring that style of football back to the Razorbacks, rather than something more akin to the BP style ----- not so much that folks want BP back, but that they realize to be successful, the Razorbacks have to open things up on offense. (and field an adequate defense).  Even old folks like me simply want the Hogs to win more, whatever style they play.   

hawg1221

My biggest takeaway from what HN said on Bo's show was that good coaches change game plans according to their players talent and skill set, as well as that of your opponents. I assume he was referring to CBB. He said lining up in the SEC playing smash mouth, tight sets football means you better have really, really good lineman, a Darren McFadden, and you can't afford too many penalties and mistakes. He referred to it as playing in a phone booth. So basically if you don't have that kind of talent, change your style of play.

swineology

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 14, 2017, 08:39:20 pm
My biggest takeaway from what HN said on Bo's show was that good coaches change game plans according to their players talent and skill set, as well as that of your opponents. I assume he was referring to CBB. He said lining up in the SEC playing smash mouth, tight sets football means you better have really, really good lineman, a Darren McFadden, and you can't afford too many penalties and mistakes. He referred to it as playing in a phone booth. So basically if you don't have that kind of talent, change your style of play.

Like MOTHO adjusted when he had the 3 headed monster?

LOLOLOLOL, smoke draw anyone?

MOTHO is a rich blubbering idiot, thanks to John White and Ole Piss.

smdh

DoctorSusscrofa

Another thread that displays how Arkansas fans treat their coaches. All coaches beware. This thread is your life and reputation by the time we run you off.  Don't be fooled into coaching here. Our fans are already getting ready to foia you, call you dirty names, make fun of your weight or hair or speech, fly planes with ads condemning you, etc.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Pork Twain

It is truly a sad day when HDN would be a major upgrade over our current HC
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

redeye

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 14, 2017, 08:13:36 pm

I think many knew this when Bielema was hired.  Although I largely agree, I still think smash mouth football can work, but Bieliema never played smash mouth football.  If he had, I think we'd have had better results.

It seems highly unlikely that we'll hire a replacement who prefers smash mouth football and I'm okay with that.  I wanted us to hire Petrino long before we actually did, so it's not about the style of football for me.  I just want a coach who will win, which is a very hard thing to do in the SEC.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 14, 2017, 09:36:53 pm

Houston was one of the best to do it at Arkansas. Love his passion for the Razorbacks. Alot of his issues come fom fans in the northern part of the state.

hawgball40

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 14, 2017, 09:03:32 pm
Another thread that displays how Arkansas fans treat their coaches. All coaches beware. This thread is your life and reputation by the time we run you off.  Don't be fooled into coaching here. Our fans are already getting ready to foia you, call you dirty names, make fun of your weight or hair or speech, fly planes with ads condemning you, etc.
If a coach were to be as thin skinned as you seem to indicate, he has no business coaching a college football team.

grayhawg

For what they're paid they need to toughen up

soso

Not proud of it but I feel the same way.

1highhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 14, 2017, 09:59:54 pm
Houston was one of the best to do it at Arkansas. Love his passion for the Razorbacks. Alot of his issues come fom fans in the northern part of the state.

Nutt brought it all on his self, having an affair with a news anchor and calling for a code red to be done on a player.  I don't want that bastard anywhere within a 1,000 miles from the State of Arkansas, much less as a coach or AD.

depressed_fan

Petrino's 3rd and 4th season here he won with Nutt's upperclassmen. Players Nutt recruited. Houston Nutt deserves just as much credit for those years as Petrino.  Anyone that thinks we can get back to the level of consistenancy we had under Nutt for 10 years has a fat dump in their pants. Maybe we can get close to that but I doubt it.

BigE_23

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 15, 2017, 06:47:36 am
Petrino's 3rd and 4th season here he won with Nutt's upperclassmen. Players Nutt recruited. Houston Nutt deserves just as much credit for those years as Petrino.  Anyone that thinks we can get back to the level of consistenancy we had under Nutt for 10 years has a fat dump in their pants. Maybe we can get close to that but I doubt it.

You are sadly mistaken...go down that roster and tell me the major contributors that were on campus under Nutt before Petrino got here. I'll hang up and listen.

I know for a fact it wasn't the QB that went to Michigan (maybe because he lined him up at TE during a camp) then transferred back after he left. It wasn't the kid from Greenwood he barely recruited but Petrino flipped the first week after he was hired. It wasn't Joe Adams who was committed to USC.

If you want to talk about those kids who were committed under Nutt who came to campus under Petrino (Gragg, Childs, Wright, etc.) then I can almost give you that...but those teams were built by Petrino's coaching and system - Period.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 14, 2017, 09:59:54 pm

Houston had the opportunity to be one of the best Razorback football coaches ever, but HE chose to allow drama and politics inside HIS program.  HE chose to allow his off-the-field conduct to affect his standing with Razorback fans.  HE and his supporters allowed one of his friends to send hateful email to a player.  If Houston had adapted just a little and allowed himself and the program to grow who knows what might have happened.  Instead he let HIS ego get in the way which led to his leaving.  I think your blaming a particular part of the fanbase is disengenuous.

Steef

As a Christian, I don't want anyone to go to Hell.

But I agree with the rest of this.

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 14, 2017, 09:36:53 pm

This is a big part of it.

We've had three body blows in a row since Nutt left.
Bobby's hitting the ditch.
Smile.
Bret.

Been down so long, Nutt looks like up....to those with short memories. What those folks forget is....Nutt was a body blow, too.

In truth, we haven't been relevant to football since the 78 Orange Bowl.

depressed_fan

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 15, 2017, 07:06:28 am
Houston had the opportunity to be one of the best Razorback football coaches ever, but HE chose to allow drama and politics inside HIS program.  HE chose to allow his off-the-field conduct to affect his standing with Razorback fans.  HE and his supporters allowed one of his friends to send hateful email to a player.  If Houston had adapted just a little and allowed himself and the program to grow who knows what might have happened.  Instead he let HIS ego get in the way which led to his leaving.  I think your blaming a particular part of the fanbase is disengenuous.

He is the best razorback coach ever and no one will ever come close to what he did in this conference SEC. Fans should have stayed out of his off the field life and let him run the program as he saw fit. He wasn't breaking the law.

I remember that code red and Mr interception king letter but that particular player he referred to Nutt as a "dork" in a book.  Big no no

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 14, 2017, 09:03:32 pm

riccoar

Quote from: Steef on November 15, 2017, 07:14:08 am
As a Christian, I don't want anyone to go to Hell.

But I agree with the rest of this.

This is a big part of it.

We've had three body blows in a row since Nutt left.
Bobby's hitting the ditch.
Smile.
Bret.

Been down so long, Nutt looks like up....to those with short memories. What those folks forget is....Nutt was a body blow, too.

In truth, we haven't been relevant to football since the 78 Orange Bowl.
I'd relive 3 years of John L. before I take 1 game with Houston Nutt.  That POS built the basement and nobody will ever be rated lower than him.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 15, 2017, 07:30:09 am
He is the best razorback coach ever and no one will ever come close to what he did in this conference SEC. Fans should have stayed out of his off the field life and let him run the program as he saw fit. He wasn't breaking the law.

I remember that code red and Mr interception king letter but that particular player he referred to Nutt as a "dork" in a book.  Big no no

You are willfully ignoring the facts of the situation.  It wasn't just radical fans poking into his private life.  Playing Damian Williams injured.  His treatment of assistant coaches.  His lack of time management on the field.  Missing on many instate recruits and certainly a lack of national level recruiting that largely came in once Petrino was our coach.  Continually flirting with other programs (a la Nebraska, LSU) showed me that he didn't "love that helmut".  This as much as anything had Broyles ready to get rid of him. 

Personal issues can and do cost coaches their jobs, because often these issues intrude in their professional careers.  Texting a mistress right before you are going onto the field in the Capital One Bowl that you proceed to lose.  Look  no farther than to Petrino being fired after that infamous motorcycle wreck.  Look at Hugh Frieze at Ole Miss.  When coaches are doing things in their lives that they want to keep hidden, then these said coaches will lie, cheat and steal in order to keep those secrets. 

I am not a HDN fan however I will give him and you that he is a better coach than Bielema.  Which I don't think is saying much. 

jswineberiaskirk

Excuse me while I stand up and applaud!

rljjr

Seriously, is there not some sort of antibiotic we can take for these flareups?

Kevin

family member?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

IronHog

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 15, 2017, 06:47:36 am
Petrino's 3rd and 4th season here he won with Nutt's upperclassmen

Uh not many

Nutt left a dumpster fire
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jswineberiaskirk

November 15, 2017, 08:09:46 am #37 Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:30:52 am by jswineberiaskirk

Amen!

Can't believe the number of nutthuggers I'm seeing this morning. Best coach ever? Good god. Someone needs a padded cell.

The Power Of Pork

ROFLOL! :puke: Someone please get this guy a shrink!
I don't know how to put a number to our level of puckered but I will say that most folks in here are puckered up to a level if they farted only a well trained dog could hear it.~ The OTR

Razorbackers

Ex-Trumpet

How many of the same folks that hate him on Hogville would meet him immediately on the 1st tee if given the opportunity?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

No doubt.

HDN still spoke the truth on Bo's Show.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Me and this guy think the thread title could get reaaly interesting with a couple of extra "S's"...

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HoggieStyle

I don't give a rat's furry fanny what Houston Nutt or Bo Mattingly think about anything.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 15, 2017, 09:56:49 am
I don't give a rat's furry fanny what Houston Nutt or Bo Mattingly think about anything.

Even though what HDN said was 100% correct.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grag T

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 08:31:02 am
How many of the same folks that hate him on Hogville would meet him immediately on the 1st tee if given the opportunity?

hahahhaaha no kidding! People can say what they want but truth is that would be a blast
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

HoggieStyle

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2017, 09:57:40 am
Even though what HDN said was 100% correct.

Plenty of other folks have said exactly the same. Probably even some of the prognosticators here on Hogville from the comfort of their internet commando hideaways. It's not like it's some secret knowledge because it came out of the Dork's mouth.

1highhog

Okay Teresa, go back to the couch and eat your bon bons.

1highhog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 08:31:02 am

Sure, if no one was around and I could you my 8 iron to beat him with it, I'd have a blast.

razorbrock

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 14, 2017, 06:47:21 pm

Not hopping on the HDN bandwagon, but I completely agree with these comments.  This is also the reason I endorse GM for the next HC.  Gus will stay at the UA and work with HS coaches to increase athlete participation.  We will certainly need to recruit better, regionally and nationally, but improvement starts at home.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill