Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm sitting here listening to the Bo Mattingly show...

Started by JD Hogg, September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hogusta National on September 14, 2017, 09:32:50 am
This kind of drivel cracks me up.  Like another poster said, Bo has been pretty critical this week against Bielema.  I think he is fairly objective.  Alright HV - go ahead and bash me now.

These morons would rather remain ignorant than actually listen to somebody with actual facts about the program, and real insight as to what happens during the meetings and game prep.
But on second thought it was only  Clint Stoerner, he probably doesn't know near as much as all of these experts we have here.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 01:33:19 pm
Ryan Mallet was born in Batesville, went to school a few years in Lincoln as well.  He was also a Razoraback fan growing up.  You can have the technicality that he graduated from Texarkana, TX, a whopping mile from the state line, but he was an in-state prospect.
you just can't grasp the concept...the kid played football in the state of Texas...just because the HS he played for is about 3 miles from the state line means squat because Mallett honed his abilities playing teams from Texas, not Shiloh Christian or Fayetteville High ...once again, the team that hung 80 (and could have been 120 if the Trinity High coach had not started playing freshmen) proves my point...oh, and Mallett had a shoot out as a 10th grade QB against senior Matthew Stafford (highest paid QB in the NFL) when Texas High played Highland Park at the Cowboys Stadium at Irving, TX...the score was 27-24, Highland    man, I could go on and on...I'm a huge Hog fan but we get the occasional great player out of Arkansas, but down through history, our best players have come from Texas
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rickfahr

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 13, 2017, 07:13:27 pm
In 2010 and 2011 I felt like we could compete with any team in the country. We had an offense that could score from anywhere on the field in one play against anyone! What was Bobby's recruit ranking at that time?

Absolutely this. I felt like we had a chance against ANYBODY. Now? Good grief.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 17, 2017, 12:08:59 pm
you just can't grasp the concept...the kid played football in the state of Texas...just because the HS he played for is about 3 miles from the state line means squat because Mallett honed his abilities playing teams from Texas, not Shiloh Christian or Fayetteville High ...once again, the team that hung 80 (and could have been 120 if the Trinity High coach had not started playing freshmen) proves my point...oh, and Mallett had a shoot out as a 10th grade QB against senior Matthew Stafford (highest paid QB in the NFL) when Texas High played Highland Park at the Cowboys Stadium at Irving, TX...the score was 27-24, Highland    man, I could go on and on...I'm a huge Hog fan but we get the occasional great player out of Arkansas, but down through history, our best players have come from Texas
Oh I understand that he played and graduated in Texas.  That wasn't the issue in question.  We were talking about his recruiting, not his competition in high school.  The kid was a hog fan growing up and live a big chunk of his life in the state of Arkansas.  He's not some born and raised A&M fan that came here bc of our excellent recruiting tactics... he could have gone any place in the world and played football.  He chose Arkansas bc HE wanted to be a Hog. 

Continue your agenda tho.  I know Texas competition makes QBs grow to 6'7 and be able to drop passes into small windows at 60+ yards.  Thanks Texas High! 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 17, 2017, 04:30:21 pm
Oh I understand that he played and graduated in Texas.  That wasn't the issue in question.  We were talking about his recruiting, not his competition in high school.  The kid was a hog fan growing up and live a big chunk of his life in the state of Arkansas.  He's not some born and raised A&M fan that came here bc of our excellent recruiting tactics... he could have gone any place in the world and played football.  He chose Arkansas bc HE wanted to be a Hog. 

Continue your agenda tho.  I know Texas competition makes QBs grow to 6'7 and be able to drop passes into small windows at 60+ yards.  Thanks Texas High! 
Actually he chose Michigan and transferred here when Lloyd Carr retired and Rich "run and shoot" Rodriguez was hired. I will say this much, he would have come to Arkansas if Mitch Mustain had went elsewhere other than Arkansas. And yes we were discussing recruiting and my point was and remains that when the UA recruits Texas well our football team is much better. That's why our program has run in cycles over the years, ie 4-7 to 5-6 and then we get an infusion of talent from out of state and bang the Hogs will go 9-2, 8-3 and so on. No need to tell me we play 12 games now I know this. I purposely used the 11 game season because those were the years we accomplished the most with out of state recruits. Chip Kelly, while at Oregon, used to raid northeast Texas' talent and did quite well.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 17, 2017, 09:46:53 pm
Actually he chose Michigan and transferred here when Lloyd Carr retired and Rich "run and shoot" Rodriguez was hired. I will say this much, he would have come to Arkansas if Mitch Mustain had went elsewhere other than Arkansas. And yes we were discussing recruiting and my point was and remains that when the UA recruits Texas well our football team is much better. That's why our program has run in cycles over the years, ie 4-7 to 5-6 and then we get an infusion of talent from out of state and bang the Hogs will go 9-2, 8-3 and so on. No need to tell me we play 12 games now I know this. I purposely used the 11 game season because those were the years we accomplished the most with out of state recruits. Chip Kelly, while at Oregon, used to raid northeast Texas' talent and did quite well.
Everyone knows Mallett went to Meechigan first, sat out a year, then lit it up. My point remains that the hogs' upward cycles always come 2-4 years after a good in-state class.  Our out of state recruiting doesn't really change.  We grab 1-3 4* prospects and a bunch of 3*s

Jimbob111

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2017, 06:42:30 pm
It's a false equivalency; if you aren't happy with our record under Bielema, you must expect us to win a SEC or national title every year.

Or, maybe we could start with just a second place finish in the SEC West?

I agree 100%. Just because I'm unhappy with Beliema's atrocious record doesn't mean I expect Arkansas to win the SEC. It means I expect Arkansas to beat Toledo. And Rutgers. And Ole Miss. And Mississippi state (although they look really good). And Auburn at least half the time. And Mizzou. And USC-E. And Florida half the time. And LSU 3/4 of the time. And Alabama once every 5 years or so.

Those wins are possible with a competent coaching staff, not guaranteed but possible. But not with this staff.

I'm unhappy with Beliema's record and inability to coach. His record is what it is. Look at Wisconsin since he left. Were those Rose Bowl games Beliema's or the system's? I think the system up in Madison has proven itself.  BB? Nope. Abject failure since leaving Wisconsin.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

LZH

Quote from: Jimbob111 on September 17, 2017, 10:03:40 pm
I agree 100%. Just because I'm unhappy with Beliema's atrocious record doesn't mean I expect Arkansas to win the SEC. It means I expect Arkansas to beat Toledo. And Rutgers. And Ole Miss. And Mississippi state (although they look really good). And Auburn at least half the time. And Mizzou. And USC-E. And Florida half the time. And LSU 3/4 of the time. And Alabama once every 5 years or so.

Those wins are possible with a competent coaching staff, not guaranteed but possible. But not with this staff.

I'm unhappy with Beliema's record and inability to coach. His record is what it is. Look at Wisconsin since he left. Were those Rose Bowl games Beliema's or the system's? I think the system up in Madison has proven itself.  BB? Nope. Abject failure since leaving Wisconsin.

Isn't it odd that all the excuse makers are totally absent from any of these threads? Wonder why that is?

doc53

Quote from: JD Hogg on September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm
I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.  I'm so sick of hearing this.  Why can't we expect it?  What makes Alabama or Oklahoma the only programs that can expect to compete for championships?

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches??  Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

BTW, what is win at all costs?  What does that mean exactly?  It's thrown out there I think to shut people down that want to have winning program, and by that I mean win lots of games, not just 7-5!!!  I want to win at all costs within the confines of fairness and rules of the game and recruiting, etc...  I also want the players to get educated and graduate.  But I also want them to win games.  I'm certain they want to win as well.  But I don't think we've ever had a coach that had a "win at all costs" mentality with the implication being that he would cheat etc.. to win.  Frank Broyles wasn't like that.  Lou Holtz wasn't.  Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, none of those coaches were like that.  However, I think it is possible that when the news media uses that phrase they are pointing directly at Petrino, not because of how he coached or recruited, but because he wasn't nice to them and he didn't make their job easy.  It's obvious they hated him.  He might have deserved the hate, I don't know.  But, I do know he proved that with the right coach, Arkansas could be a program that could possibly win championships.

Arkansas needs a great coach to win, no big secret.  But here's the big secret about coaching in general.  Every program needs a great coach to win.  Alabama has struggled.  Remember Mike Shula?  They weren't world beaters when he was there along with some other coaches they had.  Same with Oklahoma, they are average when they have average coaches.  I'm not gonna say Bret Bielema is not going to be a great coach.  I'm not a fortune teller.  But I will say he has not been a great coach so far.  If he was, then the proof of that would be on the field and in the win/loss column.  Say what you will about Petrino, but he was a great coach here.  I hope the next time, if there is a next time, that we get a great coach that he won't be fired the first time the haters get their chance to fire him. 

Well said. I know several who feel the same way.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

doc53

Quote from: JD Hogg on September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm
I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.  I'm so sick of hearing this.  Why can't we expect it?  What makes Alabama or Oklahoma the only programs that can expect to compete for championships?

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches??  Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

BTW, what is win at all costs?  What does that mean exactly?  It's thrown out there I think to shut people down that want to have winning program, and by that I mean win lots of games, not just 7-5!!!  I want to win at all costs within the confines of fairness and rules of the game and recruiting, etc...  I also want the players to get educated and graduate.  But I also want them to win games.  I'm certain they want to win as well.  But I don't think we've ever had a coach that had a "win at all costs" mentality with the implication being that he would cheat etc.. to win.  Frank Broyles wasn't like that.  Lou Holtz wasn't.  Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, none of those coaches were like that.  However, I think it is possible that when the news media uses that phrase they are pointing directly at Petrino, not because of how he coached or recruited, but because he wasn't nice to them and he didn't make their job easy.  It's obvious they hated him.  He might have deserved the hate, I don't know.  But, I do know he proved that with the right coach, Arkansas could be a program that could possibly win championships.

Arkansas needs a great coach to win, no big secret.  But here's the big secret about coaching in general.  Every program needs a great coach to win.  Alabama has struggled.  Remember Mike Shula?  They weren't world beaters when he was there along with some other coaches they had.  Same with Oklahoma, they are average when they have average coaches.  I'm not gonna say Bret Bielema is not going to be a great coach.  I'm not a fortune teller.  But I will say he has not been a great coach so far.  If he was, then the proof of that would be on the field and in the win/loss column.  Say what you will about Petrino, but he was a great coach here.  I hope the next time, if there is a next time, that we get a great coach that he won't be fired the first time the haters get their chance to fire him. 

I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2017, 10:14:08 pm
Isn't it odd that all the excuse makers are totally absent from any of these threads? Wonder why that is?
CBB had as many double digit win seasons as Alvarez, in half the time it took Alvarez.  But that was just bc of Alvarez right?  Enough excuse making for you?

I still hope CBB can get this turned around and quickly.  As stated in another thread, firing CBB isn't good for anyone.  It would be much better all around f he can get to 7-8 wins this year and 9-10 next year.

If wanting the hogs to do win and wanting the least amount of drama for the hogs to win is considered excuse making, then I'm an excuse maker.

It took Alvarez and Mullen several years to get their programs running.  I still have hope that CBB is almost there.  Im not afraid to can him if he cannt, but I want to be sure before we pull that trigger.  No one enjoys the losses or the decisions that make no sense right now.  I think most fans agree with that.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 13, 2017, 07:25:36 pm
TCU looked better than mediocre to me.  They have a bunch of seniors and came out and hit us in the mouth.
They tried all day to give us the game and we sucked so bad we couldn't accept a free gift
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

LZH

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 17, 2017, 10:44:06 pm
CBB had as many double digit win seasons as Alvarez, in half the time it took Alvarez.  But that was just bc of Alvarez right?

Yes, I believe so. You don't think HDN was on the phone with Uncle Frank everyone other day asking for some help/advice?

How has Wisconsin done since Bielema left? And who is still there? Without Barry, Bielema is on his own. He just can't cut it.

Sugar coat it however you wish, but Bielema has failed miserably and sadly enough, this may be his worst year-to-date.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2017, 10:52:37 pm
Yes, I believe so. You don't think HDN was on the phone with Uncle Frank everyone other day asking for some help/advice?

How has Wisconsin done since Bielema left? And who is still there? Without Barry, Bielema is on his own. He just can't cut it.

Sugar coat it however you wish, but Bielema has failed miserably and sadly enough, this may be his worst year-to-date.
Failed miserably?  With the exception of 3 of the last 4 games we have shown improvement overall.  The losses to Mizzou and VT last year were pathetic.  We seemed helpless vs TCU.  We are also playing lots of younger kids that will improve as the year goes by.  We lost our best RB and best DB to injuries. 

We could still win 8 games by the end of the year.  That would still be a step in the right direction and show that CBB still has this team. 

If we fall flat, miss a bowl game, lose to Mizzou this year, then I'll join the dark side. 

Your basing "worst year yet" off two games, one blow out and one loss to a current top 25 team.  It's still premature to call this season the worst yet unless you are hoping he loses.

And Wiscy hasn't been back to the Rose Bowl.  BCS games are the main way success is defined here.

Quickdraw

To win more than 6 games on average a season. The BOT, Chancellor, AD and the HC has to be on the same page. The head coach ask the players, how bad do you want it? We'll, the same question goes back to them. And history shows that the BOT, Chancellor, AD and the HC are not on the same page.

LZH

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 17, 2017, 11:01:28 pm
Failed miserably?  With the exception of 3 of the last 4 games we have shown improvement overall.  The losses to Mizzou and VT last year were pathetic.  We seemed helpless vs TCU.  We are also playing lots of younger kids that will improve as the year goes by.  We lost our best RB and best DB to injuries. 

We could still win 8 games by the end of the year.  That would still be a step in the right direction and show that CBB still has this team. 

If we fall flat, miss a bowl game, lose to Mizzou this year, then I'll join the dark side. 

Your basing "worst year yet" off two games, one blow out and one loss to a current top 25 team.  It's still premature to call this season the worst yet unless you are hoping he loses.

And Wiscy hasn't been back to the Rose Bowl.  BCS games are the main way success is defined here.

Compared to his predecessor, yes he has failed. Even compared with Nutt he has grossly underachieved. I honestly thought when we went to Baton Rouge and slapped LSU around a couple of years ago that we had turned the corner. That obviously was the highlight of BB's tenure here.

And yes, I am basing my worst year yet off of one game. But we have shown only regression, and I don't remember seeing a more pitiful performance in all phases of the game since he has been here. So yeah, if we win 5 games this year I will be shocked.

snoblind

Quote from: JD Hogg on September 14, 2017, 03:40:54 pm
Thank you for making that point.  Alabama sucked when they had bad coaches.  Same for Oklahoma, USC and Ohio State.  Coaching makes a huge difference.  We need a great coach!!  Can JL find another Petrino w/o the baggage?  I hope so.

If you aren't capable of knowing/understanding the differences between Arkansas and the 4 schools you named that is a you problem.

Hiring a better coach starts with having an AD capable of making the hire.  Don't see that we have that now.  Who knows?  Funny how sometimes things work themselves out.  We will see.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2017, 11:18:05 pm
Compared to his predecessor, yes he has failed. Even compared with Nutt he has grossly underachieved. I honestly thought when we went to Baton Rouge and slapped LSU around a couple of years ago that we had turned the corner. That obviously was the highlight of BB's tenure here.

And yes, I am basing my worst year yet off of one game. But we have shown only regression, and I don't remember seeing a more pitiful performance in all phases of the game since he has been here. So yeah, if we win 5 games this year I will be shocked.
Lot of trophies from his predecessor too.  How many SECW championships did he win? 

micali

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 04:50:31 pm
Did you expect anything different from these hacks?  Continuing the party like for access to the program.."being Bret Bielema" ring a bell?
Being BB was his first show. He has already done another one on someone else. It wasnt a BB reality show.

LZH

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 17, 2017, 11:30:51 pm
Lot of trophies from his predecessor too.  How many SECW championships did he win? 

That is a way over used cut and paste answer whenever this issue comes up. I mean hell, no one could stop Cam Newton that year. And the next year we could not run the ball against Alabama or LSU and that caused us a lot of 3 & outs, hence the scores.

But it isn't like he wasn't the most likely guy to have put us in a position to win a championship in a long, long time. I don't know why some of you people get so defensive when that is spoken of. Wasn't he your coach too, as the head cat for the Razorbacks? I don't remember reading anyone on here while we were winning ballgames say "boy that Petrino sure is a mediocre ass coach."

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LZH on September 18, 2017, 08:20:34 pm
That is a way over used cut and paste answer whenever this issue comes up. I mean hell, no one could stop Cam Newton that year. And the next year we could not run the ball against Alabama or LSU and that caused us a lot of 3 & outs, hence the scores.

But it isn't like he wasn't the most likely guy to have put us in a position to win a championship in a long, long time. I don't know why some of you people get so defensive when that is spoken of. Wasn't he your coach too, as the head cat for the Razorbacks? I don't remember reading anyone on here while we were winning ballgames say "boy that Petrino sure is a mediocre ass coach."
Selective memory.  Plenty of complaining about BP when he was here.  free willy, no defense, cannt win the big game, couldn't run when we needed to some years, etc.
He WAS our coach.  Now he isn't and he left us in a terrible spot. 

Move on.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 13, 2017, 07:58:34 pm
Yep, bc if we dont win a Natty every year then we need to fire a coach.
Nonsense..bc if we have a coach who is 8-20 after 4 years of conference play, well .....bc that is just fine and dandy.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 18, 2017, 10:12:10 pm
Nonsense..bc if we have a coach who is 8-20 after 4 years of conference play, well .....bc that is just fine and dandy.
Every coach we have needed to fire at some point.  But apparently Mullen is killing it and we need him badly.  Don't get me wrong, is love to have him but he would never get the time here that he has at MSU to get the program right.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 17, 2017, 12:08:59 pm
his uncle was an assistant (Dcoordinater) for my HS til Junior year. The whole family is from Arkansas. In state prospect....
It just turns the screw doesn't it.... Tightening'round the temple for others to disagree with you. Ha
Enjoy
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 18, 2017, 08:20:34 pm

All I know is Nick Saban had a very worried, almost shocked, look on his face at halftime of the 2010 game.  It was a sight to behold.  I'd like to see that look again some day.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 18, 2017, 11:05:33 pm
All I know is Nick Saban had a very worried, almost shocked, look on his face at halftime of the 2010 game.  It was a sight to behold.  I'd like to see that look again some day.
Saban only has one look... Blue Steel