Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ranking the Best Passing QB's in College Football (AA at #10 in the country)

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 16, 2017, 05:53:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Check out #10. I bet he ends up the year more highly ranked in terms of overall QB performance than this.

#10-Austin Allen

Biggest tests in 2017: The SEC West brings a gauntlet for Allen, but no matchups are tougher than Alabama and LSU. Constant pressure from the front seven may frustrate the 22-year-old, who tossed five interceptions against those defenses last year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2720891-ranking-the-best-passers-in-college-football-in-2017
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

"Mobile quarterbacks bring the excitement to college football"

Man, where was this dude when Quinn Grovey was on the field, lol.
This is my non-signature signature.

Baker Mayfield demonstrates what refusing to be denied and having fire in his belly can do for an otherwise pretty average QB.  Doubt he is #1 as to best passing QB in NCAA but he will fight you to the death on every play.  Look out for the USC QB to reach and grab 1st place. 

hogninja

Probably best that we start the season without a target on our backs.  Would rather rise from the pack than be a target. ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on July 16, 2017, 08:41:50 pm
Baker Mayfield demonstrates what refusing to be denied and having fire in his belly can do for an otherwise pretty average QB.  Doubt he is #1 as to best passing QB in NCAA but he will fight you to the death on every play.  Look out for the USC QB to reach and grab 1st place. 

It is pretty apparent as to why Mayfield was picked #1. He completed almost 71% of his passes last season for an avg of 305 YPG, 15.6 YPC and 3 TD's P/GM. That's not an average QB. All of the QB's on that list probably have varying degrees of "fire in their bellies", demonstrate a "refusal to be denied" and will "fight you to the death on every play".
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Baker was also #1 last year in Passing Efficiency; so not much of a stretch projecting him #1 for 2017.  But, heck, this is about AA, who completed over 60% of his passes in his first year as a starter....Baker had a lower efficiency rating than AA in his first year as a starter.  It helps being behind OU's OL.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 12247 on July 16, 2017, 08:41:50 pm
sounds like Austin allen on that game winning TD against TCU
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 17, 2017, 06:30:29 am
It is pretty apparent as to why Mayfield was picked #1. He completed almost 71% of his passes last season for an avg of 305 YPG, 15.6 YPC and 3 TD's P/GM. That's not an average QB. All of the QB's on that list probably have varying degrees of "fire in their bellies", demonstrate a "refusal to be denied" and will "fight you to the death on every play".

122432332566767947 would trade all of our players for someone elses players because he has convinced himself that we are a bunch of slackers that have no desire to win.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on July 17, 2017, 08:22:59 am
122432332566767947 would trade all of our players for someone elses players because he has convinced himself that we are a bunch of slackers that have no desire to win.

Baker Mayfield deserves the accolades because he's a great QB but Austin Allen is going to surprise a lot of people this season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on July 17, 2017, 06:53:48 am
Baker was also #1 last year in Passing Efficiency; so not much of a stretch projecting him #1 for 2017.  But, heck, this is about AA, who completed over 60% of his passes in his first year as a starter....Baker had a lower efficiency rating than AA in his first year as a starter.  It helps being behind OU's OL.

I think that several things are going to help AA rise in these standings this year. An improved O-Line, an improved defense so that he doesn't feel that he has to force things in games and try to put the whole team on his back and another year of experience under Center. How good the Receivers and TE's are going to be is still unknown, but I suspect that they too, will turn out to be better than we expect.

Need to reduce the number of INT's and improve our ability to power the ball into the EZ so that teams can't just play the pass, but if we can do those things, AA will end this season being highly ranked among the nations P-5 QB's.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 17, 2017, 09:05:16 am
I think that several things are going to help AA rise in these standings this year. An improved O-Line, an improved defense so that he doesn't feel that he has to force things in games and try to put the whole team on his back and another year of experience under Center. How good the Receivers and TE's are going to be is still unknown, but I suspect that they too, will turn out to be better than we expect.

Need to reduce the number of INT's and improve our ability to power the ball into the EZ so that teams can't just play the pass, but if we can do those things, AA will end this season being highly ranked among the nations P-5 QB's.

Agreed

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 17, 2017, 09:05:16 am

If offenses take a step forward this season as many project then there will be times when we are playing from behind, so I'm not sure if the improvement on D is going to be reflected statistically if teams are putting up more points.  So, that's kind of a wash.  However, I do think it's reasonable to expect AA to make better decisions and throw the ball away instead of up for grabs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 17, 2017, 08:22:59 am

If you go by ESPN's College QBR there are several that rank higher than Austin Allen but some only played partial seasons, some didn't play a schedule like we did and AA is hurt to some degree by the number of INT's he threw late in the season and the number of Sacks we allowed last year which they attribute at least some responsibility for, to the QB.

Here are the SEC QB's in order. I've included Jarrett Stidham's numbers from Baylor in 2015, though he didn't play the entire season.

Player                       ESPN QBR
Stidham-Auburn              86.2
Dormady-Tenn                78.7
Fitzgerald-Miss St           77.4
Etling-LSU                     74.7
White-Auburn                 71.4
Allen-Arkansas                69.9
Hurts-Alabama                68.4
Bentley-S. Carolina          62.5
Johnson-Kentucky           61.7
Hubenak-A&M                 56.5
Lock-Missouri                  56.0
Eason-Georgia                 55.0
Patterson-Ole Miss           53.5
Shurmer-Vandy                49.3
Del Rio-Florida                 40.2

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

I'm really looking forward to watching AA this year. I think he will have the kind of senior year BA had.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on July 18, 2017, 02:43:46 pm
I'm really looking forward to watching AA this year. I think he will have the kind of senior year BA had.

I actually believe he w8ill be better than BA was.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Bacons Rebellion

Nobody else on the top ten list from the SEC.

That's nice for a change. Always annoys me to make the top 10 in anything projection like that and still be ranked fifth in the conference.

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 17, 2017, 11:18:24 am
If you go by ESPN's College QBR there are several that rank higher than Austin Allen

Player                       ESPN QBR

Fitzgerald-Miss St      77.4
Etling-LSU                     74.7
White-Auburn                 71.4
Allen-Arkansas                69.9

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr
While QBR shows overall contribution of the QB, it's not really a good indicator to contrast the mobile QB versus the passing QB.  AA had a much greater completion rating than MSU's Fitzgerald, but Fitz has a higher QBR.  AA has a much higher passing efficiency rating, but more importantly, the Hogs drilled MSU in Stankville last year.  Which one contributed more to the outcome?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on July 18, 2017, 05:24:22 pm
While QBR shows overall contribution of the QB, it's not really a good indicator to contrast the mobile QB versus the passing QB.  AA had a much greater completion rating than MSU's Fitzgerald, but Fitz has a higher QBR.  AA has a much higher passing efficiency rating, but more importantly, the Hogs drilled MSU in Stankville last year.  Which one contributed more to the outcome?

That's right, it takes into consideration the total contribution by the QB. But you don't want to compare AA's running numbers to Fitzgerald's just like Miss State wouldn't want to compare Fitzgerald's passing numbers to those of AA.
Go Hogs Go!