Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transition to the 3-4...

Started by Al Boarland, July 13, 2017, 05:14:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

tophawg19

we used it some last year and since terminology won't have to be totally changed , it should go fast. It's actually harder to go to a 4-3 from a 3-4 . we use both so the adjustment should be easy.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

King Kong

Considering CBB will get atleast 2 more years. He might have changed just in time to turn this around

I just hope ours isn't as bad as what happened to UT when Sal Sun took over

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 13, 2017, 05:32:45 pm
You always go for the more negative viewpoint and post accordingly.

Do you have a link to an expert saying the transition will be quick? Share it with us. I shared the tweet for discussion and to shed some light on what we might expect for the defense this season considering it could take a year to get things going for this system.

Al Boarland

Quote from: King Kong on July 13, 2017, 05:30:44 pm
Considering CBB will get atleast 2 more years. He might have changed just in time to turn this around

I agree. I think he knows he has two more years. He's just hoping the O can carry the D long enough to get to a respectable number of W's. Smart strategy, IMO.

daBoar

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2017, 05:37:22 pm
I agree. I think he knows he has two more years. He's just hoping the O can carry the D long enough to get to a respectable number of W's. Smart strategy, IMO.
It's been a while, but I think that the D finally has better athletes than our O. But, I worry more about greenies than the change in style.

Al Boarland

Quote from: daBoar on July 13, 2017, 06:43:59 pm
It's been a while, but I think that the D finally has better athletes than our O. But, I worry more about greenies than the change in style.

That's a bold statement. I haven't compared the rankings of each player on both sides of the ball. Considering the recruiting rankings I would think they are similar. I think Martin was the number one JUCO WR. Do we have a number one player (JUCO or otherwise) at any position on D?

rhames

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 13, 2017, 05:18:41 pm
we used it some last year and since terminology won't have to be totally changed , it should go fast. It's actually harder to go to a 4-3 from a 3-4 . we use both so the adjustment should be easy.

We did?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: daBoar on July 13, 2017, 06:43:59 pm

Lol. I hope you're right.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2017, 06:52:44 pm
That's a bold statement. I haven't compared the rankings of each player on both sides of the ball. Considering the recruiting rankings I would think they are similar. I think Martin was the number one JUCO WR. Do we have a number one player (JUCO or otherwise) at any position on D?

Agim was a 5 Star DE coming out of HS. I'm not sure but I believe he was the #1 ranked player in the state.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2017, 05:37:22 pm

I think the transition will be shorter if we have the right players in place to run the 3-4 particularly at LB.  I believe we have the right DC. We will have to see how the other coaches mesh under his direction.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2017, 06:58:51 pm
Agim was a 5 Star DE coming out of HS. I'm not sure but I believe he was the #1 ranked player in the state.

There are very very few years we don't get the #1 ranked player in the state. I think he going on a little bit bigger scale.

Al Boarland

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 13, 2017, 07:01:48 pm
I think the transition will be shorter if we have the right players in place to run the 3-4 particularly at LB.  I believe we have the right DC. We will have to see how the other coaches mesh under his direction.

It's only a tweet, so the context is missing. I'm not sure if the timeline is related to personnel or not. It could just be the learning curve.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2017, 05:35:56 pm
Do you have a link to an expert saying the transition will be quick? Share it with us. I shared the tweet for discussion and to shed some light on what we might expect for the defense this season considering it could take a year to get things going for this system.

Again, no one knows. Not even the, "experts". It could be a seamless transition that produces better results or it could be a two year learning process. Now given that it reduces the number of pre-snap reads by each player (by 1 to 3) over last year prior to the snap, is supposed to be easier to grasp and given that it is an attacking defense instead of laying back on your heels and letting the play, play you, it could be a significantly improved defense over last year. At least I think that is what those of us that are Arkansas fans, are hoping to see happen.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2017, 07:05:00 pm
There are very very few years we don't get the #1 ranked player in the state. I think he going on a little bit bigger scale.

Being a 5 Star player makes Agim one of the top plyers in the nation.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2017, 07:20:11 pm
Being a 5 Star player makes Agim one of the top plyers in the nation.

No. His play makes him that. Hopefully he will become one of the top this fall.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2017, 05:35:56 pm
Not an expert, just facts.  15 spot improvement in one season.  Dramatic change is possible.
2008 Green Bay Packers (4-3) - 22 in total defense.
2009 Green Bay Packers (3-4) - 7 in total defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/opp.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2009/opp.htm
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rhames

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 08:07:22 pm
Not an expert, just facts.  15 spot improvement in one season.  Dramatic change is possible.

While I hope the hogs can pull that off I don't think that is truly a fair comparison.

Professionals>college kids

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 08:10:29 pm

While I hope the hogs can pull that off I don't think that is truly a fair comparison.

Professionals>college kids

I believe in the SEC it's a very fair comparison.  The complexities of NFL offenses could actually make it easier at the college level.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rhames

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 08:37:44 pm
I believe in the SEC it's a very fair comparison.  The complexities of NFL offenses could actually make it easier at the college level.

Good point. I hope they can turn it around

Al Boarland

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 08:07:22 pm

Nice find. Was that before they reduced the number of practices for Pro's? They have a lot more time to allocate to learning a new system.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2017, 06:58:51 pm
Bijhon Jackson was #1 in the state in 2014. He was also the #5 DT in the country. Hoping for a big year from him
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 08:40:28 pm

Good point. I hope they can turn it around

A bunch of folks have said it, but I believe a lot of last year was scheme and conflicts with the DC.  These kids would run through a wall for Rhoads.  I'm always the optimist, but until they show us, I understand the skepticism. 

Early in the year , there will be a play (special teams, turnover, big offensive play, etc) that will swing all momentum to the opponent.  What happens in the next five minutes after that swing will determine if this is the type of team that pounded Florida, or the team that folded up against Missouri and VT.  The offense and/or defense have to respond.  We can talk all we want, but like I tell my son, it's up to you and your teammates to prove the doubters wrong.  I hope they will.

ZERO

It's a quote from the media, not his own stance. There are no positive quotes from the media regarding us for the most part. Plus, it's a good discussion starter on where we can expect to be when the season begins.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

goodguytex

At least he's consistent LOL. My Dad used to call folks like that crape hangers.

goodguytex

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 08:52:11 pm
A bunch of folks have said it, but I believe a lot of last year was scheme and conflicts with the DC.  These kids would run through a wall for Rhoads.  I'm always the optimist, but until they show us, I understand the skepticism. 

Early in the year , there will be a play (special teams, turnover, big offensive play, etc) that will swing all momentum to the opponent.  What happens in the next five minutes after that swing will determine if this is the type of team that pounded Florida, or the team that folded up against Missouri and VT.  The offense and/or defense have to respond.  We can talk all we want, but like I tell my son, it's up to you and your teammates to prove the doubters wrong.  I hope they will.
That Florida game was probably my favorite of last year out of all of them. The defense read the offensive players, were in position to make plays. They were aggressive, focused and had a chip on their shoulder. I'm hoping for a lot of games like that this year.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 13, 2017, 08:49:58 pm
Bijhon Jackson was #1 in the state in 2014. He was also the #5 DT in the country. Hoping for a big year from him

I hope so too. He definitely has the strength and power to excel. Hope he has the confidence to succeed at a high level. An all SEC season from him would be huge for the hogs.

HogFoo

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on July 14, 2017, 12:15:33 am
I hope so too. He definitely has the strength and power to excel. Hope he has the confidence to succeed at a high level. An all SEC season from him would be huge for the hogs.
The 3-4 is perfectly suited for BiJohn.  He is built for that NG spot.  The switch may make him a lot of money in the NFL.  Especially if he has an all SEC season which he very well could have in this new system.  I expect big things from him and Agim!   We definitely could have one heck of a defensive front.  If RS was still in charge everyone would have been speaking about the ''triangle'' again.  With Jackson, Agim and greenlaw.   Capps. The DLine looks to be great! Which, I also expect our secondary to be pretty good this season.   db's will be like ballhawks as will our safeties.  And, the improved pressure we should be able to put on qb's will only help them.  So, I really believe that we will have an excellent defense this year.  Now, if our OLine  can only protect Allen enough to get some passes off as well as make some holes for our RB's to run thru.  We could have a pretty good season!  Possibly 9-10wins!  Ragnow will be a stud.  I also believe that Froholdt will be 3x better with the extra experience he has gotten since last year at this time.  Gibson, Raulerson, Jackson, Wallace, merrick, all those dudes will be so much better this year.  I think the defense will be good enough to keep us in games until the offense comes around.  With the #1 TE and #1 WR both coming in from juco's that should give us some immediate depth.  Martin from what I had heard, hadn't quite clicked yet, but hopefully he has made some moves.  Ive heard he has had a pretty decent off season.   Hopefully Patton steps right in and makes moves immediately!   I really believe that Ogrady will be a stud!  He was just starting to show what he could do at the end of the season and bowl game.  And I think he'll be great!  He and the other TE's like Cantrell.  Who will be a beast!  Our FB being a starter last season as  a frosh will be a stud this year.  Whaley, Maleek, will be studs(especially if the OL can give them holes to run thru). Cornelius will be great!  chase hayden could be a stud if he gets some time.  We have a lot of talent on this team.  Our season, as with every season under Bielema will always be dependent upon the play from the trenches. Especially OLine play.  I have faith that the oline will be much better.  I'm still not convinced that Anderson is the guy as oline coach, but, I am gonna take a leap of faith and say that the oline will be night and day better than last season! 

Of course what do I know.  I always seem to talk myself into believing that we can have a good team right before the season starts only to be left with a bunch of what-ifs at the end of the season filled with a few disappointments, and heartbreaks.  haha... oh to be a Hog fan.   But, I guess I will always be the forever optimist!  Because I do believe that we can have a pretty good season this year!  I really do!    we could have the chance of being undefeated going to bama.  By then our OLine could be very strong.  Our DL will already be strong.  Oh hell, I done and talked myself into thinking we are gonna have a great team again.  Dang it!  haha..  Who knows.    we'll find out in a couple months.  =-) 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on July 14, 2017, 12:15:33 am
Bijohn was #1 in the state. and a top 10 DT.   Agim was #1 in state, #2 DT in America I believe and wasn't he a top #15-20 overall player in the nation?
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

MuskogeeHogFan

How a team responds (especially one coming off a negative end to the previous season) to the first sign of adversity is always very telling. Does the head drop and the posture reflect an attitude of, "not again?", or do they let it go, get lined up and go knock the crap out of the other team and make a play? I'm hoping for the latter of the two.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

This is the key I'm looking for on both sides of the ball this year.  Attitude!!!  I'm anxiously waiting for a Razorback team to appear that has a never say die attitude, a defense with a mean streak and an offense that has a killer instinct.  Please let it be this year. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HogFoo on July 14, 2017, 02:50:45 am
Bijhon was #1 in the state. and a top 10 DT.   Agim was #1 in state, #2 DT in America I believe and wasn't he a top #15-20 overall player in the nation?
Bijhon was top 5 (#5 to be specific) nationally at his position. Sosa was the #1 player in the class of 2016, #2 strong side DE, #18 recruit overall.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: The NewEra on July 14, 2017, 07:18:37 am
This is the key I'm looking for on both sides of the ball this year.  Attitude!!!  I'm anxiously waiting for a Razorback team to appear that has a never say die attitude, a defense with a mean streak and an offense that has a killer instinct.  Please let it be this year. 
One of the best things this off season happened the night before he spring game/scrimmage.  Eddie Jackson, Kenny Kennedy, Ken Hamlin, and Quintin Caver spoke to the team, primarily the defense.  They told them that they were glad they were "good guys" and as alumni appreciated the UnCommon them that the football program markets.  But, and it's a big but, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be the meanest, nastiest, and roughest group of SOBs for three hours every Saturday.  The emphasized being the aggressor, intimidation, and not letting the opponents offense dictate what the defense does, the defense should dictate what the offense thinks they can get away with.  Don't react, attack.  They basically told them that as Razorback defensive alumni, the defense wasn't up to the standard.  It got the team's attention like no speech from a coach ever could.  Take that fire and apply it to the young talent and stoke it with a player's coach DC like Paul Rhoads and I think you'll see the return of the killer instinct that's been missing.

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 14, 2017, 03:37:07 pm
One of the best things this off season happened the night before he spring game/scrimmage.  Eddie Jackson, Kenny Kennedy, Ken Hamlin, and Quintin Caver spoke to the team, primarily the defense.  They told them that they were glad they were "good guys" and as alumni appreciated the UnCommon them that the football program markets.  But, and it's a big but, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be the meanest, nastiest, and roughest group of SOBs for three hours every Saturday.  The emphasized being the aggressor, intimidation, and not letting the opponents offense dictate what the defense does, the defense should dictate what the offense thinks they can get away with.  Don't react, attack.  They basically told them that as Razorback defensive alumni, the defense wasn't up to the standard.  It got the team's attention like no speech from a coach ever could.  Take that fire and apply it to the young talent and stoke it with a player's coach DC like Paul Rhoads and I think you'll see the return of the killer instinct that's been missing.

I heard those guys on the radio and thought, boy, I wish the entire team heard these guys talk about playing for the Hogs.  Then a couple of days later I heard about the meeting you referred to.  It fired me up just listening to those former Razorbacks.  I can just imagine what it did for these youngsters.  I believe the talent is there, today.  They just need a coach like Rhodes they believe in and someone who will put them in a position to play the game fast.  We also need some vocal leaders on the Defense.  Right off the top of my head I think a few will be Pulley, Agim, Greenlaw, Richardson and Ramsey.  My heart tells me we will see a determined group on both sides of the ball this year.  I'm hoping beyond hope they prove me right. 

nchogg

One of our biggest problems on defense was the fact after one made a play he was too busy patting himself on the back which I saw a lot of last year and not being lined up for the next play. That also happened when they were not patting themselves on the back. I know players will be lined up each and every play with Coach Rhoads as DC. A hurry up offense will have problems trying to snap too fast. I just see it coming.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 14, 2017, 05:21:45 pm #36 Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:49:09 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: The NewEra on July 14, 2017, 04:48:13 pm
I heard those guys on the radio and thought, boy, I wish the entire team heard these guys talk about playing for the Hogs.  Then a couple of days later I heard about the meeting you referred to.  It fired me up just listening to those former Razorbacks.  I can just imagine what it did for these youngsters.  I believe the talent is there, today.  They just need a coach like Rhodes they believe in and someone who will put them in a position to play the game fast.  We also need some vocal leaders on the Defense.  Right off the top of my head I think a few will be Pulley, Agim, Greenlaw, Richardson and Ramsey.  My heart tells me we will see a determined group on both sides of the ball this year.  I'm hoping beyond hope they prove me right. 

You know, Coley and Ramsey as well as Santos Ramirez have all come up, initiated contact and knocked the crap out of people at times, even to the point of drawing a flag. I believe Coley has been ejected twice for hits that no one would have thought twice about 5-8 years ago.

Even the physical style of Dan Skipper had to be toned down. Remember the one handed throw to the ground of the Texas Tech DE when we played them in Lubbock? As a result, he became a player that every official kept his eye on, just looking for something a bit too physical...had to keep that guy in line after all.

We do need to be more physical, we need to be more intimidating. Yes, knock the crap out of the opponent. Announce your presence with authority and make them continue to think about you being there, just a step away, loading up to lower the boom on someone. Make them hear "footsteps" even when those footsteps aren't there.

In fact, we need to do it so often that it becomes "the norm" in our style of play as opposed to the exception, so that the officials alter the way they make calls on our defense. You don't see them making bogus and preemptive calls on the Alabama defense every time they pound some player. Why? I think they are conditioned to think of the Alabama defense as being more physical in their style of play so they are given greater benefit of the doubt on calls.

Exact a price on every opponent. Make receivers not want to come into your area of coverage. Make offensive linemen absolutely "hate" to have to try to block you. Make QB's and RB's always feel like they have to keep one eye on where they are going and one eye on you, in anticipation of getting smacked big time.

I'd like to see all of the defense and the O-Line and TE's adopt this attitude. Make the opponent pay. And RB's, punish those who try to tackle you and make them pay for trying to make or making that tackle. I think it is worth at least a TD less on defense and a TD more on offense if you make the opponent have a bit of hesitation about having to engage with you. Yeah, I want to see this, even if we get flagged a few more times in the beginning.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

These kids would run through a wall for Rhoads. 

<Drops mic>  End of discussion...  THAT is the difference that will show up this year.  Whether the players realized RS was a lame duck coach or just didn't believe, it was apparent at times that they were disconnected. 
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 05:21:45 pm
Exact a price on every opponent.

It wasn't too long ago that we had that reputation.  Even when teams beat us, they would talk about how sore they were for days after the game. 

Glad that some of those type players came in and reminded the current group of what it means to be a Hog.  No need to play dirty, but zero need to play nice. 
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on July 14, 2017, 05:55:40 pm
It wasn't too long ago that we had that reputation.  Even when teams beat us, they would talk about how sore they were for days after the game. 

Glad that some of those type players came in and reminded the current group of what it means to be a Hog.  No need to play dirty, but zero need to play nice. 

They actually still talk about how physical we are, but I think most of that talk lately has been about our O-Line, with the exception of last year. That needs to change. It needs to be a TEAM mindset, both sides of the ball. Play us and you hurt for two weeks thereafter.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 05:21:45 pm
You know, Coley and Ramsey as well as Santos Ramirez have all come up, initiated contact and knocked the crap out of people at times, even to the point of drawing a flag. I believe Coley has been ejected twice for hits that no one would have thought twice about 5-8 years ago.

Even the physical style of Dan Skipper had to be toned down. Remember the one handed throw to the ground of the Texas Tech DE when we played them in Lubbock? As a result, he became a player that every official kept his eye on, just looking for something a bit too physical...had to keep that guy in line after all.

We do need to be more physical, we need to be more intimidating. Yes, knock the crap out of the opponent. Announce your presence with authority and make them continue to think about you being there, just a step away, loading up to lower the boom on someone. Make them hear "footsteps" even when those footsteps aren't there.

In fact, we need to do it so often that it becomes "the norm" in our style of play as opposed to the exception, so that the officials alter the way they make calls on our defense. You don't see them making bogus and preemptive calls on the Alabama defense every time they pound some player. Why? I think they are conditioned to think of the Alabama defense as being more physical in their style of play so they are given greater benefit of the doubt on calls.

Exact a price on every opponent. Make receivers not want to come into your area of coverage. Make offensive linemen absolutely "hate" to have to try to block you. Make QB's and RB's always feel like they have to keep one eye on where they are going and one eye on you, in anticipation of getting smacked big time.

I'd like to see all of the defense and the O-Line and TE's adopt this attitude. Make the opponent pay. And RB's, punish those who try to tackle you and make them pay for trying to make or making that tackle. I think it is worth at least a TD less on defense and a TD more on offense if you make the opponent have a bit of hesitation about having to engage with you. Yeah, I want to see this, even if we get flagged a few more times in the beginning.

Good stuff!

King Kong

Quote from: The Kig on July 14, 2017, 05:45:05 pm
<Drops mic>  End of discussion...  THAT is the difference that will show up this year.  Whether the players realized RS was a lame duck coach or just didn't believe, it was apparent at times that they were disconnected.

Well, you also have to take into consideration that in year 3 RS never changed anything as far as how we lined up. After theses 4 million dollar coaches had 2 off seasons to study Robb's D they knew exactly how to attack it.