Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's strike zone....

Started by PurpleHog, May 28, 2017, 08:59:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleHog

There were lots of guys on both teams walking away shaking their heads. Great game and I don't think the plate ump was the difference, but good grief, he was bad. And the exchange between Van Horn and Jeff Head was classic. My lip reading certainly isn't flawless, but I did catch Van Horn telling Head to "calm down". He also appeared to tell him, "that's dumb".

HogFansReunited

I hated that strike zone but it was huge for both teams. A few calls I didn't like though, Fletcher was safe at second on the slide that wiped out the second baseman. It was obvious on replay but none of our guys noticed, not even Fletcher. I can't remember who was batting but on a full count, he swung and the bat definitely went past the bag but 1st base ump said he didn't go around.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

ucahogfan

LSU definitely got more calls than we did at the plate today.  A couple of major ones that stick out is the strike 3 to Cole and the strike 2 to Koch which completely changed innings.  Bonfield also had several go against him today.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 28, 2017, 09:11:51 pm
I hated that strike zone but it was huge for both teams. A few calls I didn't like though, Fletcher was safe at second on the slide that wiped out the second baseman. It was obvious on replay but none of our guys noticed, not even Fletcher. I can't remember who was batting but on a full count, he swung and the bat definitely went past the bag but 1st base ump said he didn't go around.

That LSU guy didn't swing, replay proved it.  Plenty calls to gripe about that one was right. 

Kevin

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 28, 2017, 09:53:36 pm
That LSU guy didn't swing, replay proved it.  Plenty calls to gripe about that one was right. 

Bat went across the plate. It was a swing.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Kevin on May 28, 2017, 10:21:32 pm
Not from any angle I saw, it didn't.

tophawg19

needed 5 foot bats but otherwise , naw he sucked . low, high, inside , and outside . He missed calls everywhere
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HogFansReunited

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 28, 2017, 09:53:36 pm

Bat crossed the plate.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hamsam

Any of you baseball experts that can show/quote me the rule on what defines a "go" or "no go" on a swing, please do so...

While you're at it, if you don't mind, find/quotethe rule that says a "tie goes to the runner"...

Bet you a fin you'll be looking for a while!

That being said, today's strike zone sucked.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on May 28, 2017, 10:21:32 pm

Go find a replay, barrel did not get in front of his hands and did not get in front of the plate.  Ole th of bad calls in today's game but that one was right. 

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 28, 2017, 11:37:42 pm
Go find a replay, barrel did not get in front of his hands and did not get in front of the plate.  Ole th of bad calls in today's game but that one was right.

While it wasn't a swing, by definition, I think the rule should be changed.  The batter was well enough into it and that should be considered a swing in my book.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

WhenPigsFly

To me, real issue is how bad the strike zone was, consistently, for both teams.  That would be a bad zone for Little League.  The guy should be reprimanded and put on probation.  And he should be personally embarrassed since the game was on national tv.

SPAL

Quote from: hamsam on May 28, 2017, 11:21:04 pm
Any of you baseball experts that can show/quote me the rule on what defines a "go" or "no go" on a swing, please do so...

While you're at it, if you don't mind, find/quotethe rule that says a "tie goes to the runner"...

You're correct..neither exist. I always say, tie goes to the ump.

As far as swing/no swing....there is no rule but there should be. The wording is something like was there intent to strike the ball....if yes it's a swing.

Which to me is odd because in my small brain, every swing is an attempt to strike the ball.

I do enjoy reading and hearing comments about "he crossed the plate" or his wrists broke"

Razorback_Mack

Just bring k zone to the college game and hold these umps responsible. I understand the difficulty of their job and respect what they do but when they're ringing players up on pitches a foot off of the plate that's unacceptable.

Razorback_Mack

I'm pretty sure MLB defines it as an attempt to hit the ball. I've always hated the rule as it stands. I think if a player gets his bat far enough out to put a ball in fair territory if he was to make contact then it should be a strike. Bottom line the LSU player yesterday was fooled.

SPAL

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on May 29, 2017, 08:26:48 am
I'm pretty sure MLB defines it as an attempt to hit the ball. I've always hated the rule as it stands. I think if a player gets his bat far enough out to put a ball in fair territory if he was to make contact then it should be a strike. Bottom line the LSU player yesterday was fooled.

Correct. That wording needs to be changed. As it stands right now, umpires have the ability to be biased because there is no accountability because the rule is arbitrary.

THE LSU batter was clearly out by interpretation of the rule, but he wasn't out by the unwritten "his bat crossed the plate." Had he gotten punched out, we wouldn't even be discussing this rule.

Cinco de Hogo

If the bat goes more than 50% across the plate that plenty far enough to bunt, that bat was about 99% across the plate.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 29, 2017, 08:07:43 am
To me, real issue is how bad the strike zone was, consistently, for both teams.  That would be a bad zone for Little League.  The guy should be reprimanded and put on probation.  And he should be personally embarrassed since the game was on national tv.ever the
Tony Walsh has always been horrible behind home plate.  Having him and Head working the same game is a disaster waiting to happen.......

JoeyCapital

What I found is rule 2-18, which was changed in 2010 to make the definition of a half swing, which should be called a strike (vs a check swing, which shouldn't), any swing in which the barrel of the bat passes the batters front hip. Nothing about the hands or the plate. That old "his barrel didn't pass this hands" stuff is long gone.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

TNhawgfan

I'm not blaming the ump for yesterday's loss. Yes, his strike zone was all over the place, and yes, he did change the complexion of several of our at bats. However, we still had our chances today. If we take advantage of LSU's gift (the 2 bag error), I think we win that game. Their 4th inning would have been approached completely different by DVH if we were up 3-0 instead of 1-0. Also, robbing Fletcher of a homerun was huge in the 8th! If we were only down 2 instead of 3, that 9th inning could have been drastically different. All in all, very proud of the boys!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

cosmodrum

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 28, 2017, 10:51:56 pm
Bat crossed the plate.

It didn't become parallel with the front of the plate, thus it wasn't a swing. I yelled "BS!" The saw the replay. Ball 4.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on May 29, 2017, 09:44:04 am
I did become parallel with the front of the plate, thus it wasn't a swing. I yelled "BS!" The saw the replay. Ball 4.

Get your frigging rose colored glasses fixed, he was out twice, once for swinging at the pitch, and once for being a corndog!

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on May 29, 2017, 09:47:17 am
Get your frigging rose colored glasses fixed, he was out twice, once for swinging at the pitch, and once for being a corndog!

Well, he should've been tossed for being a corndog, but it wasn't a strike.  ;)
Go away, batin'

hogfanboy2

from Wikidedia

The Major League Baseball rulebook does not contain an official definition for a checked swing, but defines a swing as "an attempt to strike at the ball." It is the decision of the umpire as to whether an attempt was made or not. Generally, factors such as whether the bat passes the front of the plate or the batter pulls his wrists back are considered in the ruling. Some umpires prefer to use the "breaking the wrists" criterion as the method to decide a checked swing: if the wrists "rolled over", a swing occurred.

ucahogfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 29, 2017, 09:26:42 am
If we take advantage of LSU's gift (the 2 bag error), I think we win that game.
We tried, but #umpshow Tony Walsh made one of his worst calls against Koch in the next AB.  The 1-1 pitch was well up and in and was called a strike.  Instead of 2-1 like it should have been, Koch was down 1-2 and had to chase the next pitch just up out of the zone for a strikeout.  If Walsh correctly called a ball there, Koch would have gotten something more hittable and he hit it well yesterday so it would have probably been a sac fly.

hogfanboy2

JHGiunta

Quote from: hogfanboy2 on May 29, 2017, 10:06:21 am
here are a couple views

Looks like a swing to me! I guess with that move he had "no intention of hitting the ball"! Ridiculous

BroyledNutts

In my world that's a strike - Ive seen check swings like that called strikes against us all year.
In LSU world, however, unless the barrel of the bat actually touches the umpire's head on the follow through, it's a ball.

SPAL

Quote from: JHGiunta on May 29, 2017, 10:18:40 am
Looks like a swing to me! I guess with that move he had "no intention of hitting the ball"! Ridiculous

The whole rule is ridiculous. For such a cerebral game like baseball, this " open to interpretation" rule is nonsense.

ucahogfan

How about we also talk about how Tony Walsh allowing multiple LSU players to show him up on called strike 3s?  If one of them had been tossed, I'm sure the announcers would have said that it was a bad call and you should give them leeway; however, if an Arkansas player was tossed because of it, they would have said it was the right call and you can't show an ump like that.

Kevin

When did we get all the lsu fans on the board. Saying that was not a swing

Yes uca, Walsh was terrible.  He is always terrible.

He strike zone moved around in any critical situation
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

N HOG

Quote from: Kevin on May 29, 2017, 12:08:41 pm
When did we get all the lsu fans on the board. Saying that was not a swing

Yes uca, Walsh was terrible.  He is always terrible.

He strike zone moved around in any critical situation

Walsh is a classic example of the old ump who thinks he's smart and cute, but in reality should have hung it up years ago.

hamsam

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 29, 2017, 11:01:23 am
How about we also talk about how Tony Walsh allowing multiple LSU players to show him up on called strike 3s?  If one of them had been tossed, I'm sure the announcers would have said that it was a bad call and you should give them leeway; however, if an Arkansas player was tossed because of it, they would have said it was the right call and you can't show an ump like that.

Great points here. Pretty sure I saw cspan mouthing a bit after a horrible low and away strike call but he did not turn around and look at the ump at all.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

southarkhog06

Quote from: hamsam on May 29, 2017, 09:30:11 pm
Great points here. Pretty sure I saw cspan mouthing a bit after a horrible low and away strike call but he did not turn around and look at the ump at all.
Pretty much every time they k'ed looking they stared him down. Trout wouldn't have even been allowed that much leeway it was absolutely trash behavior by a trash group of primma donnas, allowed by a trash ump.

Flatline

I am sick of certain teams getting the calls in all major sports from Kentucky in basketball to LSU in baseball and the almighty Alabama in football.

It is not just Arkansas fans that see it and talk about it.  Go on YouTube and message boards everywhere.  Fans are sick of it.

SWarkansasman

One or two calls did us in, they knew it, we knew it and even the play by play people knew it.

PurpleHog

Quote from: Flatline on May 29, 2017, 11:34:34 pm
I am sick of certain teams getting the calls in all major sports from Kentucky in basketball to LSU in baseball and the almighty Alabama in football.

It is not just Arkansas fans that see it and talk about it.  Go on YouTube and message boards everywhere.  Fans are sick of it.

That's the way I see it as well.

HawgLife

The attached photo is a screenshot of the rule from the 2017-2018 NCAA Baseball Rule book. Rule 2 Section 39 Half Swing. It is now a written rule (apparently it had only been an official guideline at some point) and it involves only the front hip and not wrists or any part of the plate.

I thought it looked like a swing, but Kyle Peterson was so adamant it wasn't that I decided to look up what the rule really is. Apparently that didn't help much either because I still don't understand.

revolution

Interesting how the announcing team made a bigger deal about the ump getting the call right on the check swing (judgment call) than they did the 2nd base official clearly missing the out call at 2nd base on Fletcher's slide (not judgment, but an actual blown call that impacted the game). In the play at 2nd, they pretty much only focused on the legality of the slide even after knowing the out call was wrong.

Announcers are like officials (and fans) in that they have built-in-biases that cause them to see things a certain way.  The sad thing is that officials' biases directly impact the game and announcers' biases usually confirm the officials, which then diminishes the likelihood of accountability for the officials in the future.

It takes a lot for the perceived underdog to win a game, and not just because the perceived favorite is better on any given day.

c-townfan

Quote from: HawgLife on May 30, 2017, 03:04:16 pm
The attached photo is a screenshot of the rule from the 2017-2018 NCAA Baseball Rule book. Rule 2 Section 39 Half Swing. It is now a written rule (apparently it had only been an official guideline at some point) and it involves only the front hip and not wrists or any part of the plate.

I thought it looked like a swing, but Kyle Peterson was so adamant it wasn't that I decided to look up what the rule really is. Apparently that didn't help much either because I still don't understand.

Based on the pics above. This definitely passed the hip. Stupid definition imo because the 1st base ump is not at a good angle to determine that.