Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

National Seed Discusson

Started by bulldog04, May 28, 2017, 07:38:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers who are two of the most respected college baseball writers are saying we are in the last national seed discussion along with Stanford, Kentucky, and USM. Fitt says we passed KY in the pecking order and feels like it's us or Stanford.  I really felt we had no shot at a national seed even if we won the whole thing when this started.  KY losing to USC changed things apparently.

ucahogfan

I think we jump Southern Miss who has a better RPI than us right now; however, they haven't played a single top 25 RPI game this year and are 1-3 against SEC teams (1-0 vs. MSU, 0-1 vs. Bama, 0-2 vs. OM).  I just don't think we can leap Stanford even though we will have 19 top 50 wins compared to 10 for them as they have more in the 51-100 range.  They had a better conference record (21-9 vs. 18-11) although we finished closer to winning the conference than they did as Oregon State just ran away from everyone.  Another thing that could hurt us for a national seed is that Texas Tech, TCU, and LSU are all locks in our area of the country while Oregon State is the only lock out there.  I could see them pairing us with TCU although you could make the argument to pair Stanford with Texas Tech as Long Beach State will almost certainly be paired with Oregon State.

Razorback7281

Stanford will get the 8th seed. Their coach is retiring and I know emotions aren't supposed to be involved in the decisions but we know they are.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

southarkhog06

I mean our resume looks to warrant a top 8 seed, but so does Stanford's and Kentucky's. If the committee puts a premium on end of year form that will knock Kentucky out.

ricepig

I'll settle for being paired with a national seed who going to lose.   8)

Kevin

I just hope this run gets us a weaker four seed team in Fayetteville
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawg1221

Don't see it happening, especially since Arkansas wasn't even in the conversation until yesterday. Hard to jump teams that quickly.

dbhog

Quote from: Kevin on May 28, 2017, 10:57:02 am
I just hope this run gets us a weaker four seed team in Fayetteville

Bet we get Oral Roberts as the 4 seed which will be no picnic.

lakecityhog

"The Committee" in keeping with the desire for "fairness" will "reward" some team out west a National Seed. Spreading the field is more fair than picking the actual 8 best teams, isn't it?

Then too, we have to look at the other driving factor("fairness" being #1) and look at TELEVISION and how having more games out west will reach more viewers.

I really hate being so cynical, but until the NCAA steps up and does a few things right I will continue to "call em as I see em". Just look at the history of the NCAA decisions--- Cam/Auburn winning a National Championship-- UNC/academic scandal even getting into the tournament--- Arizona State/probation getting awarded a host and then probation and we could go on and on. Teams appear to be rewarded for cheating, media darlings(read high TV ratings) get preferential treatment and teams that TRY to do things right get screwed.

bulldog04

Quote from: dbhog on May 28, 2017, 11:56:51 am
ORU is the 4 seed everyone will want to dodge.  They will force you to throw your ace. Another bullet to dodge is BYU because it will have to be a Thurs-Sat series

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

bulldog04

Quote from: Kevin on May 28, 2017, 12:06:52 pm
Oru may be a 3 seed
They could be but I was looking at projections and they were a 4. IMO they should be a 3

Hogwild

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 28, 2017, 08:50:39 am
I think we jump Southern Miss who has a better RPI than us right now; however, they haven't played a single top 25 RPI game this year and are 1-3 against SEC teams (1-0 vs. MSU, 0-1 vs. Bama, 0-2 vs. OM).  I just don't think we can leap Stanford even though we will have 19 top 50 wins compared to 10 for them as they have more in the 51-100 range.  They had a better conference record (21-9 vs. 18-11) although we finished closer to winning the conference than they did as Oregon State just ran away from everyone.  Another thing that could hurt us for a national seed is that Texas Tech, TCU, and LSU are all locks in our area of the country while Oregon State is the only lock out there.  I could see them pairing us with TCU although you could make the argument to pair Stanford with Texas Tech as Long Beach State will almost certainly be paired with Oregon State.

Oregon State is the overall #1, they have in the past not tied that seed into a geographically matchups, instead giving them one of the lowest host.  Most of the projections I saw had Clemson going to Oregon State. That would allow Long Beach/Stanford and Arizona/Texas Tech.

Dr. Starcs

Keep in mind, the Southern Miss ad is on the selection committee (not that the NCAA would ever do anything questionable, lol)

Kevin

Razrpig256

Quote from: bulldog04 on May 28, 2017, 12:06:35 pm
ORU is the 4 seed everyone will want to dodge.  They will force you to throw your ace. Another bullet to dodge is BYU because it will have to be a Thurs-Sat series

Can someone expand on the BYU thing? Regionals can go until Monday, so how does this work? Or is it only for if they make a super? If I remember correctly, some supers are Thursday-Saturday anyway, correct?

bulldog04

Quote from: Razrpig256 on May 28, 2017, 12:22:25 pm
Can someone expand on the BYU thing? Regionals can go until Monday, so how does this work? Or is it only for if they make a super? If I remember correctly, some supers are Thursday-Saturday anyway, correct?
All I know is the NCAA makes an exemption on religion. We don't want a Thursday series after playing today. Hopefully the committee will use some common sense

Razrpig256

Quote from: bulldog04 on May 28, 2017, 12:26:27 pm
All I know is the NCAA makes an exemption on religion. We don't want a Thursday series after playing today. Hopefully the committee will use some common sense

Interesting. Seems like they would almost have to start that on Wednesday or skip Sunday and play that "if needed" game on Monday, like normal, assuming BYU got that far. Regardless, I wouldn't think they would be sent here based on geography.

SPAL

Why would they send BYU to a Fayetteville regional? We will get oral Roberts as the #4 and mo state as the #2. #3 is anybody's guess.

CJ HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 28, 2017, 12:31:38 pm
Why would they send BYU to a Fayetteville regional? We will get oral Roberts as the #4 and mo state as the #2. #3 is anybody's guess.
Is OSU a #3 if they win the Big 12 tourney today in your opinion?

ucahogfan

Quote from: CJ HOG on May 28, 2017, 12:50:27 pm
Is OSU a #3 if they win the Big 12 tourney today in your opinion?
I would think so and they will probably be sent to Fayetteville.

Nebraska is also a potential option to come to Fayetteville, but they might not make the field either.

WhenPigsFly

Half the Supers are Sat-Mon.  Those winners then play on day 2 of the CWS.

woodhog14

Quote from: dbhog on May 28, 2017, 11:56:51 am
Oral Roberts will be a 2 or 3 seed. They won't be a 4.

ucahogfan

Quote from: woodhog14 on May 28, 2017, 01:10:02 pm
Oral Roberts will be a 2 or 3 seed. They won't be a 4.
They have an RPI of 80 and are 10-10 vs. Top 200 teams.  They have played 36 games against teams below the Top 200 in the RPI.  They will definitely be a 4 seed.

BroyledNutts

There are no Thurs-Sat Regionals or Supers unless the NCAA has changed something I'm not aware of ...

Regionals are typically friday - sun, monday being a winner take all game unless there is weather interference over the weekend that pushes back the schedule.
Supers are played Fri-Sun, or Sat-Mon, with Friday Super winners beginning CWS play on Saturday, Saturday Super winners beginning CWS play on Sunday...

JHicks3636

Razorback7281

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2017, 10:05:20 am
I'll settle for being paired with a national seed who going to lose.   8)
Or one that can't host, that works too.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

Hogwild

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 28, 2017, 01:28:31 pm
There are no Thurs-Sat Regionals or Supers unless the NCAA has changed something I'm not aware of ...

Regionals are typically friday - sun, monday being a winner take all game unless there is weather interference over the weekend that pushes back the schedule.
Supers are played Fri-Sun, or Sat-Mon, with Friday Super winners beginning CWS play on Saturday, Saturday Super winners beginning CWS play on Sunday...

Whichever regional includes BYU will start on Thursday, the NCAA announced a while back. 

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hogwild on May 29, 2017, 10:43:52 am
Whichever regional includes BYU will start on Thursday, the NCAA announced a while back. 

Yep, saw the official announcement yesterday in the article for the host sites ... oh well, wrong again.
That is a first, I believe - I don't remember a regional being played on a Thursday ... maybe BYU hasn't made the field of 64 in a while ...

N HOG

Quote from: lakecityhog on May 28, 2017, 12:01:49 pm
"The Committee" in keeping with the desire for "fairness" will "reward" some team out west a National Seed. Spreading the field is more fair than picking the actual 8 best teams, isn't it?

Then too, we have to look at the other driving factor("fairness" being #1) and look at TELEVISION and how having more games out west will reach more viewers.

I really hate being so cynical, but until the NCAA steps up and does a few things right I will continue to "call em as I see em". Just look at the history of the NCAA decisions--- Cam/Auburn winning a National Championship-- UNC/academic scandal even getting into the tournament--- Arizona State/probation getting awarded a host and then probation and we could go on and on. Teams appear to be rewarded for cheating, media darlings(read high TV ratings) get preferential treatment and teams that TRY to do things right get screwed.

UNC "academics"/Basketball