Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SECT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, #4 ARKANSAS (42-16, 18-11)#2 LSU (41-17, 21-9 SEC)

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, May 28, 2017, 01:49:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on May 28, 2017, 05:59:19 pm
Biggers goes 10/20 with 6 RBI's and doesn't make the all tournament team? What is the criteria?

While I think this is absolute lunacy, the only thing I can think of is defense. Did Kramer have any errors? Biggers had one or two I think

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 28, 2017, 06:43:43 pm
Another guy late to the party. I'm glad you're here to set me straight.

hahahahha

Flatline

The one thing that comes from all this is that our boys went against the best this weekend and held their own.

I have no doubt that this team is capable of beating anybody in the country and I can guarantee you that no one wants to play them right now.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: N HOG on May 28, 2017, 07:10:40 pm
In addition to a shocking strike zone, the home plate ump was also a goofball. Needs to hang it up.

That strike zone was horrible.  For both sides.  No wonder it was a 4-2 game.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SPAL

Good thread today. A lot of opportunities to discuss baseball and strategy and intricacies of the game. Only 23 posts had to be moderated. That's not too bad for an SEC championship against a rival in a low scoring game.

Thanks, JHICKS for the pbp. Thanks, raz1 for the behind the scenes stuff. Thanks ARKANSAS, for the graphics. Thanks​, Wilson for the vision for this board and the biggest thanks goes to all of you who lurk, read, and post here.

This concludes our 2017 SEC season. I can't believe baseball season has come and gone so quickly.

I hope you will continue to be here with us as we ride this season to Omaha. If you are someone who.lurks ....now is the time to get in on the discussion.

Thanks again for continuing to be the best forum on hogville and the best baseball forum anywhere.

snoblind

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 28, 2017, 05:41:38 pm
Yeah, but look at the user name. That guy hadn't been here all year and comes here AFTER the final out is made to talk about how we constantly fail. I let a lot go if you've put in time here, bit I won't let let some two bit troll come in here and bash this team.

;)

Read the post.  Seems like you zapped it in about 30 seconds.

ucahogfan

Even more amazing that 23 posts only had to be moderated considering Mr. Costello behind home plate.  Wait, LSU had good ole' Uncle Tony behind the plate for them today.

Thank you for all you do spal as well as all the moderators.  Y'all are the reason why EI is the best forum on this board.

onebadrubi

Quote from: N HOG on May 28, 2017, 07:06:47 pm
The check swing no call was huge. That will be called a strike every time in the majors. The bat was WELL out over the plate.

No it wasnt

Birminghog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 28, 2017, 05:41:38 pm
Yeah, but look at the user name. That guy hadn't been here all year and comes here AFTER the final out is made to talk about how we constantly fail. I let a lot go if you've put in time here, bit I won't let let some two bit troll come in here and bash this team.

You go, spal. I didn't see the post, but I didn't need to. You and others keep EI the best site on Hogville. Thanks.

Birminghog

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 28, 2017, 09:55:18 pm
No it wasnt

Yes, it was. I was staring right at it and saw the check swing clearly.

Sorry I couldn't bring it in for you, guys. Many of you will be in the regional, whereas I will have to experience it vicariously through TV and keeping up with the quite excellent pbp given by the usual suspects. I will count on all of you to do a better job than I did. WPS.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

N HOG

carter

Great game.  Great Tournament.  Great Team.  Most of all - Thanks to all of you for this great place to keep up with our great Razorback Team.

moses_007

Unfortunately, it was our second straight SEC tournament championship game this year (basketball was the first) that we lost.  Arkansas just can't get over the hump in a championship game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: N HOG on May 28, 2017, 10:36:39 pm
As Nolan would say, a blind man could see that it was.

As slow motion replayed show, it wasn't. 

Razorback7281

Quote from: Razorback7281 on May 28, 2017, 09:25:25 am
How about a Spanberger walk off then.
I'll always believe I correctly predicted the outcome but for that danged intentional walk.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 28, 2017, 11:42:14 pm
As slow motion replayed show, it wasn't. 

Slow motion replay actually showed that it was. When the hitter's bat stopped, it was out in front of home plate. Blown call.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SPAL

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 08:02:32 am
Slow motion replay actually showed that it was. When the hitter's bat stopped, it was out in front of home plate. Blown call.

There is no such rule in all of baseball. You're making it up.

CJ HOG

Quote from: Razorback7281 on May 28, 2017, 11:57:15 pm
I'll always believe I correctly predicted the outcome but for that danged intentional walk.
In Mainieri's post game he stated it was the 1st time in 35 years he intentionally moved the tying run to 2nd & put the winning run on base? It felt like deja vu to me!

Sure enough, in the game that shan't be mentioned he IBB'd Span to put the winning run on base up by 2 also. Granted, the tying run was already at 2b and 1b was open in that situation iirc, which makes more sense than yesterday. At any rate, it shows a great deal of respect for Chad Spanberger especially yesterday.

Anyway, Bonfield K'd the first occasion.
Yesterday he put the ball in play...progress.
Maybe 3rd times a charm, if we can get another shot at those loathsome corndogs in the CWS!

WhenPigsFly

From a baseball site:
The major reason why checked swings produce arguments is because there is no definitive rule for how far the swing has to travel. Traditionally, it is thought to be the halfway point of a swing or entirely across the plate area, past the front of the plate, but this is not codified definitively in baseball rules.

onebadrubi

Nice try dumby.

GuvHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 08:17:02 am

Didn't say there was such a rule but when the bat stops past the front of home plate, it's patently obvious that he went around. I still say it was a blown call.

GuvHog

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 29, 2017, 08:25:21 am
From a baseball site:
The major reason why checked swings produce arguments is because there is no definitive rule for how far the swing has to travel. Traditionally, it is thought to be the halfway point of a swing or entirely across the plate area, past the front of the plate, but this is not codified definitively in baseball rules.

I know, but it should be.

SPAL

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 08:31:39 am
Didn't say there was such a rule but when the bat stops past the front of home plate, it's patently obvious that he went around. I still say it was a blown call.

That's what the rule should be, but it's not. The umpire decided the LSU batter didn't intend to hit the ball. That's why the call was crap. But he didn't cross the plate with the bat head if I remember correctly.

CJ HOG

Yesterday, I thought it was a strike. From my limited playing experience (13 yrs thru legion ball), any time you had the barrel of the bat out over the plate it was called a strike. But after a little research it may not have been as it's mostly a subjective call, and the positioning of the hands/wrist play a bigger role than I recall some 30 yrs ago anyway.

From Wikipedia:
The Major League Baseball rulebook does not contain an official definition for a checked swing, but defines a swing as "an attempt to strike at the ball." It is the decision of the umpire as to whether an attempt was made or not. Generally, factors such as whether the bat passes the front of the plate or the batter pulls his wrists back are considered in the ruling. Some umpires prefer to use the "breaking the wrists" criterion as the method to decide a checked swing: if the wrists "rolled over", a swing occurred.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 28, 2017, 08:54:27 pm
. Only 23 posts had to be moderated.

Only 23? Lol.

Reckon we don't like corn dog eating swamp vermin around here?

TNhawgfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 08:17:02 am
If we're going to start making up our own rules, I've got a few I'd like to change. One, the infield fly rule can only be called if the ball is inside of the bases. Once an infielder is drifting to the outfield, it is not an infield fly rule. As a Braves fan, I will NEVER forget us getting hosed on that call. Another is giving the fielding team the out when an infielder drops the ball transferring the ball from the glove to the throwing hand. I hate that rule. If they can't make the play cleanly, the runner should be safe.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

SPAL

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 29, 2017, 09:36:14 am
If we're going to start making up our own rules, I've got a few I'd like to change. One, the infield fly rule can only be called if the ball is inside of the bases. Once an infielder is drifting to the outfield, it is not an infield fly rule. As a Braves fan, I will NEVER forget us getting hosed on that call. Another is giving the fielding team the out when an infielder drops the ball transferring the ball from the glove to the throwing hand. I hate that rule. If they can't make the play cleanly, the runner should be safe.

Well, I'm a braves fan also and we certainly got hosed in that game. That was an incorrect call. However, the infield fly rule can extend into the outfield if an infielder can reasonably make a ROUTINE baseball play.

He can go to the grass and make a routine play, it still is in IF.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 10:36:03 am
Well, I'm a braves fan also and we certainly got hosed in that game. That was an incorrect call. However, the infield fly rule can extend into the outfield if an infielder can reasonably make a ROUTINE baseball play.

He can go to the grass and make a routine play, it still is in IF.
Yeah, the Braves call still makes me mad.  Cost Chipper a little bit longer career.  You knew it was a bad call when the LF ump made the call and it was 47 feet further from home plate than the next farthest INF fly called that year.

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 29, 2017, 10:52:54 am
Yeah, the Braves call still makes me mad.  Cost Chipper a little bit longer career.  You knew it was a bad call when the LF ump made the call and it was 47 feet further from home plate than the next farthest INF fly called that year.

Yep, one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Bias aside, it was horse crap.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 10:54:24 am
Yep, one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Bias aside, it was horse crap.
But Cards fans will still argue that it was the right call.

N HOG

College umpiring is pitiful compared to MLB. In the majors that would have been strike three without a second thought. He CLEARLY committed. I wonder how much baseball some of you watch. Why do you think DVH was so OUTRAGED by the call?

ricepig

BigBrandonAllenFan

The major factor as to why Arkansas lost was two errors that cost two runs, while Arkansas was unable to capitalize on the big error made the yellow belly sapsucker swamp vermin's right fielder.

Umping is judgement calls for the most part.  Some go your way, some don't.  Good teams play through the bad calls.

Had Arkansas played error free ball and simply capatilized on a couple of excellent scoring  oppotunities, the score would have been reversed. You can't allow top caliber teams extra opportunities, and Arkansas did just that.

No sour grapes from here. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Kevin on May 29, 2017, 12:03:57 pm
That is called. Strike 99.9 percent of the time

I didn't say it wasn't a lousy call, just saying it wasn't the major factor.  I'm going with two fielding errors and lack of timely hitting.   That is what set the yellow belly sapsuckers up for the win.  Its a hard pilll to swallow, again, given the hated vermin opponent, but we beat ourselves against them, again.

Kevin

Major factor. That call if called right it is 2 outs, no run has scored. Get the next out with out them scoring is a huge boost in momentum
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Kevin on May 29, 2017, 12:14:07 pm
Major factor. That call if called right it is 2 outs, no run has scored. Get the next out with out them scoring is a huge boost in momentum

Yeah, but that is relying on the ump to help you win. If Arkansas makes their fielding plays, you don't need the umps call.

I don't know, I guess you can call it either way, but first I look at what Arkansas did to themselves, the factors that they controlled.  You can play LSU over and over, and if you make 2 errors in a game against them you will likely lose 4 out of 5 times.  In fact, that has kind of been the history.

SPAL

Quote from: N HOG on May 29, 2017, 10:58:46 am
College umpiring is pitiful compared to MLB. In the majors that would have been strike three without a second thought. He CLEARLY committed. I wonder how much baseball some of you watch. Why do you think DVH was so OUTRAGED by the call?
Well, it's pretty clear you watch and listen to talking heads because you STILL have no clue about the rule. " He clearly committed" tells me you need to review what guys that have played, umped, and coached have explained ad nauseum about the rule. You're wrong and then come on here acting like we don't watch enough Baseball. Are you kidding me?

SPAL

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on May 29, 2017, 11:59:47 am
The major factor as to why Arkansas lost was two errors that cost two runs, while Arkansas was unable to capitalize on the big error made the yellow belly sapsucker swamp vermin's right fielder.

Umping is judgement calls for the most part.  Some go your way, some don't.  Good teams play through the bad calls.

Had Arkansas played error free ball and simply capatilized on a couple of excellent scoring  oppotunities, the score would have been reversed. You can't allow top caliber teams extra opportunities, and Arkansas did just that.

No, baseball is not judgment calls. It's usually black and white. That's why the check swing rule is so maddening because it is one of the few calls that is a judgement call.

woodrow hog call

The only reason I can see for the call to be considered correct is the fact that he didn't break or roll his wrists over. Forget about the plate for a minute and think about the view from the first base line, ump never sees the end of the bat, and the barrel never passed the batters hands.

As has been posted, we had a really good chance to win it in the end and couldn't get it done. I can see Luke coming back on fire for the regional and that's more important anyway.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

N HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 12:35:25 pm
Well, it's pretty clear you watch and listen to talking heads because you STILL have no clue about the rule. " He clearly committed" tells me you need to review what guys that have played, umped, and coached have explained ad nauseum about the rule. You're wrong and then come on here acting like we don't watch enough Baseball. Are you kidding me?

Have you got a meeting set up with DVH to set him straight?

SPAL

Quote from: N HOG on May 29, 2017, 12:50:13 pm

Have you got a meeting set up with DVH to set him straight?

Seriously? Take this back to the other forums. If you can't discuss baseball without stooping to the level of juvenile stupidity you just displayed, you probably should pursue other forums.

N HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 12:53:27 pm
Seriously? Take this back to the other forums. If you can't discuss baseball without stooping to the level of juvenile stupidity you just displayed, you probably should pursue other forums.

Okay, seriously, based upon your previous post -- does DVH not understand the rule?

hog.goblin

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 08:31:39 am

Classic, doubling down on being wrong

woodrow hog call

Quote from: N HOG on May 29, 2017, 01:13:52 pm
Okay, seriously, based upon your previous post -- does DVH not understand the rule?

DVH didn't have access to a slow motion replay for one thing, he also is always going to take his pitchers side in a close call, as he should, and fianally he was trying to get the next close call to go his way, again as he should.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

SPAL

Quote from: N HOG on May 29, 2017, 01:13:52 pm

Did he say..."hey ump, you need to listen to the guys up in the booth. They say if a bat crossed the plate or he clearly committed , it should be called a strike 99% of the time."

If he said that, as you are, then yes...he is wrong. I wasn't on the field in Hoover so I don't know what was said.

I'm not gonna argue about it. The rule is what it is. I didn't write it.

N HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 01:19:37 pm
Did he say..."hey ump, you need to listen to the guys up in the booth. They say if a bat crossed the plate or he clearly committed , it should be called a strike 99% of the time."

If he said that, as you are, then yes...he is wrong. I wasn't on the field in Hoover so I don't know what was said.

I'm not gonna argue about it. The rule is what it is. I didn't write it.

So, please explain to this mentally-challenged baseball novice why it wasn't a strike. Do so and I'm done.

ucahogfan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on May 29, 2017, 11:59:47 am

I have said this multiple times so far, but the reason we were unable to capitalize on the error was mainly due to Mr. Walsh.  Koch had a horrible, horrible strike called against him which completely changed the outlook of the AB and therefore, our inning.

N HOG

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 29, 2017, 01:33:42 pm
I have said this multiple times so far, but the reason we were unable to capitalize on the error was mainly due to Mr. Walsh.  Koch had a horrible, horrible strike called against him which completely changed the outlook of the AB and therefore, our inning.

Totally agree. And the ridiculously high and wide punchout  (on Cole?) was equally egregious.