Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have been a Razorback Fan since 1974

Started by WilsonHog, May 27, 2017, 06:12:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Before this week, my best memories as a Razorback fan are of our 31-6 win over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl in 1977; our 42-11 win over Texas my freshman year at UA; our SWC Tournament Championship at George Cole Field in 1985; and our national title win over Duke in 1994.

The SEC Tournament this week joins that list.

We've pitched a no-hitter (first in SEC Tournament history);
Our first baseman has set SEC Tournament records for home runs and RBIs in one game, and hit two more today (with 10 total bases);
Our shortstop has set a record with three triples; and,
We beat the conference regular season co-champion 16-0 behind a two-hitter from (at best) our fourth starter in a three-man rotation.

Any one of those is notable; taken all together, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do of ever enjoying a week like this again.

razCzar

I share the same memories and agree with you totally.  This week has been very special by a very special team.

LAHOG1962

Amen Wilson, dangdedist thing I have seen in a long time! Woooo Pig

Hawgphish

oldbear

The only negative is that most of us have watched it on television or on line. This would have been an amazing time for a short vacation. Unforgettable week. I was telling my dad today, he is 84, that losing to Florida would not be any big deal. They are a great team and we are pretty well set for the tournament.

My wisdom isn't very wise. This team is ridiculously fun.

BroyledNutts

This is what I was hoping this team would develop into by June ...

hawgrunner

ThisTeetsTaken

Very satisfying win today.  Very satisfying.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

LJHOG

After all the screw jobs we've had with Florida I found today to be most satisfying.

runninhog

We're always proud to be Razorbacks, but especially today. Well stated....

lynbug

And knowing you re gonna host a regional is great!  we got one more record to break tomorrow.  go Hogs!!!

SWMrshogfan

I totally agree! It was a great week to see! Only thing better would have been there in person.

hogbud

I got to throw U.S. Reed's half court shot in for memory lane.
Enjoying this baseball run!

jjdlc

Let's go out tomorrow, kill the dadgum possum, and add a SEC tourney Championship to that list for good measure.   :D. WPS!! :razorback: :razorback:

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Complete domination of Florida.  Normally, there is an ebb and flow to the momentum in a game.  Today, it was all flow!  So, so satisfying.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

BroyledNutts

reptilehog

Today was a blast!  Born and raised in KC, and my parents divorced when I was in the 5th grade (1975).  Moved to the tiny town of Ashdown in the 5th with my mom.  The 77 Orange Bowl win got me hooked on the Hogs.

Really enjoying watching this team play.  Hope we make it to Omaha.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

elksnort

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 27, 2017, 06:12:08 pm
Before this week, my best memories as a Razorback fan are of our 31-6 win over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl in 1977; our 42-11 win over Texas my freshman year at UA; our SWC Tournament Championship at George Cole Field in 1985; and our national title win over Duke in 1994.

Our first baseman has set SEC Tournament records for home runs and RBIs in one game, and hit two more today (with 10 total bases);
We beat the conference regular season co-champion 16-0 behind a two-hitter from (at best) our fourth starter in a three-man rotation.

Any one of those is notable; taken all together, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do of ever enjoying a week like this again.
not hyperbole a very good post

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on May 27, 2017, 07:58:08 pm
Complete domination of Florida.  Normally, there is an ebb and flow to the momentum in a game.  Today, it was all flow!  So, so satisfying.

Totally disagree.  It was all ebb.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

JIHawg

swineology

In since '69.
Hope we don't get the Perry Costello screw job
:razorback: :razorback:

soso

One of my favorite memories is our win over UVA when Eibner hit the home run  in the CWS. This team has that same kind of magic! Was a great college baseball moment.

ronmahony

Right there with you Wilson, I didn't get in before the game started but had it TiVo'd. Walked in the house, turned on the t.v., and it was 5-0 middle of the first! Pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard me! This is my oldest grandsons 2nd year playing baseball and he is loving it, and the Hogs. I save the games because he stays with us in the evening til his mom gets off work. Her and him took me to a Razorback game this year for my 60th birthday, the Sunday game against LSU! So I have another reason to beat them tomorrow.

They have been a huge help with coaching him this year. He plays second base, so I am always showing him now watch this play. They won their league championship plus their tourney, and it was almost a good feeling as watching today. Matter of fact I had another grandson win a championship, plus a granddaughter won her championship plus went undefeated! So I have really been in Hog Heaven this week!
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

HogFoo

I didn't always like hog baseball. Baseball was always a sport I'd rather play than watch.  I just never got into watching it.  My dad used to say, it takes something special to happen at a game you are at for you to get hooked on it .  And it did for me.  Had a buddy invite me to the Wichita st. Game.  Yes, it was the infamous Brady Toops long ball that made me a fan of Hog baseball.  After that , I was hooked. I went to the Fsu series the following week,  then on to Omaha.  And ive been an avid fan ever since.  We have a very good baseball coach.  To me, Van Horn should be coach of the year after this weekend. We've had some really good teams during Van Horns tenure.  We've had teams with extremely good pitching, very deep pitching, and a good bunch of hitters.   I don't really think that we've had a team that had this kind of power up and down the line-up tho.  It has been very fun to watch!   

Our pitching has really stepped up in the tourney!  I was so happy when we got a chance to play auburn again and then destroyed them!  Retribution!  Which, really, we should have destroyed MSU in that game we lost in the SEC tourney.  That ball field there is huge! I tried explaining to a friend after the MSU loss, that In the game we had 3 balls that were hit that would  have been HRs in Fayetteville.   But they were at the warning track in this field. 1 actually was a leap over the fence grab!  But the other two were HRs in Baum.   So, we should have kicked msu butt in that 1st game!  No matter, our bats got stronger, as did our pitching.  I mean, we had a combined No-No!  And we almost got another No-no in the Florida game!  I loved it that we destroyed one of UFs starters! Just imagine had we had McKinney and the other 2 guys that were injured right before the season.  Hell, we may not have lost a game!  Haha.  Knight, McKinney,  Stephon.   That would have been a salty trio right there!

Seeing how well we have went thru this weekend has shown me that we have the pitching to win a regional as well as a super regional and if it goes this far make it to Omaha!  This has been a very fun team to watch.  Hopefully we can kill the possums and corndog fans in the game later.  We owe Lsu for what happened in the Saturday game earlier in the season and for what happened last season.  Hopefully our bats got another showing saved up for Lsu!   

Either way, win or lose, this  team is something special, and I predict another trip to Omaha!    Whenever our fielding defense is going well, our bats are charged, and the pitching is dealing, we are a very hard team to beat!    With that said, I'm calling for a Big win later today against lsu. Something like 8-4 Hogs.  #omahogs #BergerBombs  #wps #sectourneychamps
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Bacons Rebellion

This has indeed been a great weekend. The only Hog baseball moments that top it for me is watching Keuchel and Eibner beat Virginia. I missed Brady's HR.

It's such an interesting team. No pitcher stands out as an amazing unhittable stopper. No hitter (until C-Span  this weekend) has been a terror like say, Benintendi was. They're just good baseball players.

Pigonometry

Gotta add the four-game run thru the 2000 SEC basketball tourney to the list.

Sent Kentucky fans to the exit early and caused about 85 turnovers in four games.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

JHicks3636

And who were you a fan of between 1963-74?

WilsonHog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 28, 2017, 07:57:24 am
And who were you a fan of between 1963-74?

Didn't know enough to claim anyone. I started following the Hogs when a buddy of mine gave me a copy of Dave Campbell's Arkansas football when I was in the third grade. Jon Rhiddlehoover was on the cover. Before that, I had grown up in west Texas and in Alaska (my father was U.S. Army).

JHicks3636

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2017, 08:05:07 am
Didn't know enough to claim anyone. I started following the Hogs when a buddy of mine gave me a copy of Dave Campbell's Arkansas football when I was in the third grade. Jon Rhiddlehoover was on the cover. Before that, I had grown up in west Texas and in Alaska (my father was U.S. Army).

My Dad was military as well. He was stationed at Texarkana when my mom was due. They had no maternity ward so all the births happened in Hot Springs thus my birthright to be a Hog fan.

Knot2brite

As special as this week has been...for me and only me....the 1979 CWS is still my biggest memory of Razorbacks baseball. 10 years old and listening to the games on the radio with my dad and hanging on every pitch like it was life and death. I have a son that is 16 and is a super razorback fan. It would be super cool to be able to do that with him now. Hell....I have looked at my summer schedule and I may even be able to go to the CWS finals if we make it.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Pudgepork

As far as really nice memories etched in deep was the look on the T-sip fans faces as Mayberry and. crew came back and won in Dallas after Nolan had walked off the floor.   That truly was priceless.  If memory serves, Nolan was undefeated at that point to Texas and they could taste that 1st win and watched it snatched away.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 28, 2017, 10:40:22 am
As special as this week has been...for me and only me....the 1979 CWS is still my biggest memory of Razorbacks baseball. 10 years old and listening to the games on the radio with my dad and hanging on every pitch like it was life and death. I have a son that is 16 and is a super razorback fan. It would be super cool to be able to do that with him now. Hell....I have looked at my summer schedule and I may even be able to go to the CWS finals if we make it.

That 1979 title game with Cal-State Fullerton is my first memory of Razorback baseball. I knew nothing about the team; I had been out to dinner with my family in Memphis and we picked it up on the radio coming home. Only after the fact did I learn about the exploits of guys like Johnny Ray, Kevin McReynolds, and Ronn Reynolds.

JHicks3636

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2017, 10:57:05 am
That 1979 title game with Cal-State Fullerton is my first memory of Razorback baseball. I knew nothing about the team; I had been out to dinner with my family in Memphis and we picked it up on the radio coming home. Only after the fact did I learn about the exploits of guys like Johnny Ray, Kevin McReynolds, and Ronn Reynolds.

Way to bring back bad memories. We had the golden opportunity to win that Championship. We win the first 3 games including a win over Texas. We then lose to Cal State-Fullerton 13-10, but  advance to the finals even with the loss. CSF still  has to beat Pepperdine to make the final game. We lose the 2-1 heart breaker. Impossible to forget.

WhenPigsFly

You must not have been following Hog baseball in 2004.  The Regional comeback against Wichita St. (Brady Toops grand slam) and even the Super win against Fla. St. the next weekend (both at Baum) ushered in the DVH era.  Lead to the expansion of Baum and the modern popularity of Razorback baseball.

WilsonHog

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 28, 2017, 05:12:20 pm
You must not have been following Hog baseball in 2004.  The Regional comeback against Wichita St. (Brady Toops grand slam) and even the Super win against Fla. St. the next weekend (both at Baum) ushered in the DVH era.  Lead to the expansion of Baum and the modern popularity of Razorback baseball.

Yes, I was.

DeltaBoy

Today we get the shaft by the Officials.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Pudgepork on May 28, 2017, 10:50:40 am
As far as really nice memories etched in deep was the look on the T-sip fans faces as Mayberry and. crew came back and won in Dallas after Nolan had walked off the floor.   That truly was priceless.  If memory serves, Nolan was undefeated at that point to Texas and they could taste that 1st win and watched it snatched away.

Strolling' Nolan game was in Austin, not Dallas.  And it was sweet . . .

HognitiveDissonance

Agreed.

Pretty awesome tournament.