Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 SEC BASEBALL TOURNAMENT - NON RAZORBACK GAMES

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, May 22, 2017, 05:20:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

May 24, 2017, 08:59:55 pm #101 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:11:52 pm by JHicks3636
LSU wins 10-3. Mizzou  plays USCe in an elimination game tomorrow. LSU plays Kentucky tomorrow as well.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 24, 2017, 08:59:55 pm
LSU wins 10-3. Mizzou goes home with a 36-22 record and 14-16 in conference and a 48 rpi going into the game. I don't think they make the NCAA Tourney but who knows?

Don't think Mizzou is out just yet. Still get to play the Cocks tomorrow! Hope they win!

JHicks3636

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on May 24, 2017, 09:04:06 pm
Don't think Mizzou is out just yet. Still get to play the Cocks tomorrow! Hope they win!

You are right. I'm making it a totally single elimination tournament. This morning was the last of the single elimination games until the semi-finals. I hate this format.

JHicks3636

May 24, 2017, 09:15:50 pm #104 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:26:07 pm by JHicks3636
Auburn-Florida will be the late, late game. Lipscomb goes for Auburn; Faedo goes for Florida. Game scheduled to START at 9:45.

JHicks3636

Florida gets a gift run in the bottom of the 3rd to take a 1-0 lead.

JHicks3636

Florida stretches the lead to 4-0 after 4 innings. May be my last report tonight. Need a little rest for tomorrow.

Birminghog

Florida gets leadoff man on, taken out by a double play 6-4-3. Nice digout by the 1st baseman. Two out walk, then a groundout. Still 4-0 Florida after 5.

snf6278

I'll give it a shot on some updates. Scoreless 5th as the Gators still lead it 4-0

Birminghog

Auburn down in order in the top of the 6th. Still 4-0 Florida.

Birminghog

GeauxHogsGeaux!

Auburn tied it up in the top of the 7th 4-4. Scoreless bottom of 7th and top of 8th. Florida also removed the DH (moving a pitcher to the OF) so their pitcher will now hit in the 7 hole.

tucsonhogfan

Auburn walks in the go ahead run in the 8th.  New pitcher in with bases loaded.  Throws one pitch and Fla grounds into a double play to end the 8th.

tucsonhogfan

HamIAm

LSU's trying to mercy rule Kentucky.  10-0 in the bottom of the fifth inning.

HamIAm

Surprising Hjelle has given up 10 runs in 5 innings and is still pitching. I guess the KY coach doesn't want to waste any more pitchers on this game.

razCzar

Quote from: HamIAm on May 25, 2017, 11:15:15 pm
LSU's trying to mercy rule Kentucky.  10-0 in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Yeah, not to be out-done... lol.

Quote from: HamIAm on May 25, 2017, 11:16:25 pm
Surprising Hjelle has given up 10 runs in 5 innings and is still pitching. I guess the KY coach doesn't want to waste any more pitchers on this game.
Agree on both counts.

HamIAm

ThisTeetsTaken

LSU looking like they are ready to make a deep run to Omaha.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

TNhawgfan

I wonder if the people on this board who say this tournament is meaningless only say that because we never do well in it. It seems to mean something to the Floridas and LSUs of the conference, as they seem to make it to the weekend every year
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 26, 2017, 07:29:46 am
I wonder if the people on this board who say this tournament is meaningless only say that because we never do well in it. It seems to mean something to the Floridas and LSUs of the conference, as they seem to make it to the weekend every year
Hard to tell for sure.

onebadrubi

Has the winner of the tournament ever had success in the NCAA tournament?  I went to say no off the top of my head. 

SPAL

I'm one that doesn't care much about it but it's due to the setup.

jry04

Ask DVH how much it means. He was quoted this week as saying you always want to win, but regionals are more important and you never want to limp into the regional. Can you be successful at the SECT and still make Omaha? Sure. However, we go anywhere from 2-2 or 0-2 usually and still have had successful runs in the postseason. Me personally, I would love to beat MSU today and then throw whoever against UF and not worry about the outcome. I would be happy going 2-2.

Aside from lack of pitching depth, this team has been on the road since the Wednesday before Texas A&M. Win today, and they will have been gone from home for at least 11 days. I want to beat MSU for redemption, and then I am fine with heading back to Fayetteville to get these guys rested up for the tournament.

Pudgepork

I listened to CDVH in the pregame yesterday.  He seemed to approach this tourney as much less important than Omaha and isn't willing to wear out his injury riddled pitching staff. It sounded like if we win fine, but if not, more rest for next week.   

I think the depth that the elite sec baseball teams stockpile every year allows them to go all out for any win and still have top talent rested for the next game.  Hogs can see that elite plateau from where they are but just can't quite reach it.  I believe injuries to 2 pitchers kept this team from being very elite.

Fla and lsu are there.  SC was there for a few years.  Miss st and aTm are just below fla and lsu. Hogs and Ole Miss dip into the miss st and aTm level but can't quite maintain. 

Not sure where to put aubie.  Which is the real aubie?  The powerhouse that manhandled the hogs during the season? Or the weak kittens in the tourney?  The announcers mentioned several times that aubie was a very experienced team compared to hogs youth.  That bodes well in the next few years for the hogs. 

I know some will point out that Hogs finished ahead of some teams mentioned but I'm comparing programs year end year out. 

Year in year out, hogs dwell from probably 4-6 place amongst the top half of the sec

ThisTeetsTaken

The SECT means nothing compared to getting to Omaha.  Now, if you do play your way to a shot at the SECT title, then yes, it's worth getting excited over but the NCAAT is where the sweet meat is.  In other words I'd rather keep our powder dry for the NCAAT instead of tiring everyone out trying to win the SECT.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2017, 07:57:46 am
Ask DVH how much it means. He was quoted this week as saying you always want to win, but regionals are more important and you never want to limp into the regional. Can you be successful at the SECT and still make Omaha? Sure. However, we go anywhere from 2-2 or 0-2 usually and still have had successful runs in the postseason. Me personally, I would love to beat MSU today and then throw whoever against UF and not worry about the outcome. I would be happy going 2-2.

Aside from lack of pitching depth, this team has been on the road since the Wednesday before Texas A&M. Win today, and they will have been gone from home for at least 11 days. I want to beat MSU for redemption, and then I am fine with heading back to Fayetteville to get these guys rested up for the tournament.
Oh i agree it's clearly not as important as the regional, but some have said it's meaningless and that's clearly not the case. If it was meaningless, DVH wouldn't have paraded 5 different pitchers in the last 2 innings trying to win yesterday. I wish we had the pitching depth to win it so we would be looked at the same way people view the teams that do.
For what it's worth, I'm perfectly happy going 2-2 as well...BUT i really want to win tonight

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Gators going with sophomore Jackson Kowar (10-0, 3.84) on the mound today against MSU.

revolution

Noticed this morning that the Top 5 teams in the SEC all made it to the final 6 of the Tournament.  Of course, the top 4 teams have only played one game, so much easier for them to still be around.  But only SC (a recent SEC power) has crashed the party from the lower half of the conference. 

Looks like the cream has risen to the top!  Hope that the Hogs make it to the Final 4!

jry04

MSU is throwing Cole Gordon. He has over a 5 ERA. They plan on throwing him, and then Billingsley if needed in relief. If they do end up having to use Billingsley, that will leave them with just Jake Mangum as a guy with at least 5 starts on the season who isn't injured. They used Plumlee and McQuary against us, Pilkington in game 1, and plan to use their remaining starters today if needed v Florida. Regardless of the outcome, I hope it is a close game that requires multiple pitchers from both teams.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 26, 2017, 07:43:42 am
Has the winner of the tournament ever had success in the NCAA tournament?  I went to say no off the top of my head.

Of the last 10 SECT champions, 4 were eliminated in a regional, 1 lost in a super regional, 5 went to Omaha. So I'd say it's hit or miss.

jry04

May 26, 2017, 11:49:37 am #131 Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:06:09 pm by jry04
Quote from: Stewhog 11 on May 26, 2017, 11:37:31 am
Of the last 10 SECT champions, 4 were eliminated in a regional, 1 lost in a super regional, 5 went to Omaha. So I'd say it's hit or miss.
What about the team who finished 2nd? I know that wasn't the question, but I would be interested in seeing what the loser did since they stayed in Hoover the same amount of time. I personally am not sure winning or losing it is as relevant as just playing that many games in such a short amount of time.

EDIT:

I just looked at the last 10 runner ups. Only 3 made it to Omaha. 5 lost in regional play, with 3 being home regionals. The other two teams obviously lost in supers.

So of the last 20 teams who made the SEC Championship game and played the full week in Hoover, 8 went to Omaha, 3 lost in the supers, and 9 lost in regionals. So over 50% of the teams who advanced to the finals of the conference tournament were bounced out of the NCAAT a week later. Still, definitely possible to do well advancing deep, but more likely you lose early.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Does anyone know how home team is determined in the SEC tourney?  I would have thought that MSST would be visitor against FL, coming from the losers bracket and with a lower seed but lo and behold they are the home team.

-phil

HamIAm

Nasty bounce on a hit to centerfield takes out the Florida centerfielder. Actually he slipped as he was going down for the ball. Regardless he was bleeding pretty bad. They've already lost Larson, another outfielder and  their leadoff hitter when he got hit in the head by a 90+ mph fastball.  MSU up 1-0 in the bottom of the 5th

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: HamIAm on May 26, 2017, 12:21:30 pm
Nasty bounce on a hit to centerfield takes out the Florida centerfielder. Actually he slipped as he was going down for the ball. Regardless he was bleeding pretty bad. They've already lost Larson,  their leadoff hitter when he got hit in the head by a 90+ mph fastball.  MSU up 1-0 in the bottom of the 5th
This is an example of why the tourney means so little to the highly ranked teams.  Little to nothing to win, lots to lose.

-phil

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 26, 2017, 12:23:26 pm
This is an example of why the tourney means so little to the highly ranked teams.  Little to nothing to win, lots to lose.

-phil
Then why play your best players? DVH could easily have a lineup without Span, and he didn't have to start stephan yesterday. I've already agreed it's not as important as the regions, but it does mean something to these teams

Stewhog 11

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2017, 11:49:37 am
What about the team who finished 2nd? I know that wasn't the question, but I would be interested in seeing what the loser did since they stayed in Hoover the same amount of time. I personally am not sure winning or losing it is as relevant as just playing that many games in such a short amount of time.

EDIT:

I just looked at the last 10 runner ups. Only 3 made it to Omaha. 5 lost in regional play, with 3 being home regionals. The other two teams obviously lost in supers.

So of the last 20 teams who made the SEC Championship game and played the full week in Hoover, 8 went to Omaha, 3 lost in the supers, and 9 lost in regionals. So over 50% of the teams who advanced to the finals of the conference tournament were bounced out of the NCAAT a week later. Still, definitely possible to do well advancing deep, but more likely you lose early.

Only 45% were bounced out a week later, and 40% made it to the college world series. To me those numbers say those teams have been successful in the tournament. Or at the very least that the SECT has no effect.

jst01

Florida's coach Sullivan is one coach I wouldn't talk back to. Guy looks like he's made of one large muscle.

jry04

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on May 26, 2017, 12:32:33 pm
Only 45% were bounced out a week later, and 40% made it to the college world series. To me those numbers say those teams have been successful in the tournament. Or at the very least that the SECT has no effect.
Yeah sorry, over 50% failed to make it to Omaha. Maybe it is a coincidence, maybe it isn't. Obviously if you make the conference championship you likely have enough talent to make Omaha. However, 5 of the 7 teams I mentioned who lost before Omaha had home field advantage when they lost. I would love to win a championship, and I do not think it is meaningless, but I also am perfectly fine going 2-2 every year. I would prefer it be single elimination myself.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 26, 2017, 12:29:05 pm
Then why play your best players? DVH could easily have a lineup without Span, and he didn't have to start stephan yesterday. I've already agreed it's not as important as the regions, but it does mean something to these teams
Are you watching the FL/MSST game?  The announcers quoted the  Florida coach saying that he was playing non-starters to get them some game experience, and in this game he's lost his lead-off batter to a 90 MPH fastball to the head and one of his few lefties out of the pen to either a busted lip or broken nose.

This game means nothing to Florida - they've locked a national seed and now they've lost two key players for who knows how long.

I am not talking about this in the context of the Hogs - I think we needed at least one win and maybe two to make sure we get a regional host.

-phil

HogFansReunited

Right now MSU is up 3 with the bases loaded and 1 out. Question is, who would each team pitch against us if they lose.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Florida gets out of the jam with a double play.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Member #3568

gchamblee

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 26, 2017, 12:48:24 pm
Anyone else having trouble with the SEC Network? Game's not loading for me right now, can't figure out why. ESPN sucks

it wont load for me either. says video unavailable or not supported in browser. was working fine a bit ago.

jry04

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 26, 2017, 12:50:40 pm
Right now MSU is up 3 with the bases loaded and 1 out. Question is, who would each team pitch against us if they lose.
Florida will throw their Saturday night guy Brady Singer if I had to guess. He is 7-3 with an ERA around 2.60. The guy could be an ace for just about any other team, so everyone rooting for MSU because we have Knight v Florida can get their wish. It will be a fun pitching matchup to watch, but I am not sure we are the favorite everyone thinks just because Blaine will be on the mound.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 26, 2017, 12:16:49 pm
Does anyone know how home team is determined in the SEC tourney?  I would have thought that MSST would be visitor against FL, coming from the losers bracket and with a lower seed but lo and behold they are the home team.

-phil
I think they try to keep each team from being the home team two games in a row so they rotate each game, but even if rotating does not work out, the higher seed gets to be the home team twice in a row. Obviously at the beginning of the tournament the higher seed is the home team. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2017, 12:56:43 pm
Florida will throw their Saturday night guy Brady Singer if I had to guess. He is 7-3 with an ERA around 2.60. The guy could be an ace for just about any other team, so everyone rooting for MSU because we have Knight v Florida can get their wish. It will be a fun pitching matchup to watch, but I am not sure we are the favorite everyone thinks just because Blaine will be on the mound.
I'm not rooting for Florida. It's setting up for MSU to go farther than us in the tournament, and then the talking heads start with the MSU should host talk

CJ HOG

That's all it is....is talk. MSU's not hosting and even if they did it won't be at our expense.

Bogghawg

Would like Florida to tie this up and then have it go about 15 innings.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig