Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Graduate Transfer Running Back?

Started by The_Iceman, May 18, 2017, 10:48:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

It was mentioned on Morning Rush that Bielema said he is looking into Graduate Transfers at RB.

Does anyone have a guess on who might be available?

Piggfoot

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2017, 10:48:03 am
It was mentioned on Morning Rush that Bielema said he is looking into Graduate Transfers at RB.

I suspect he's wanting to redshirt his two freshmen.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

factchecker

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2017, 10:48:03 am

Former Clemson runningback Tyshon Dye.  He is a grad transfer looking for a landing spot but I think Miami is his leader currently.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 18, 2017, 11:06:05 am
I suspect he's wanting to redshirt his two freshmen.

Only Hayden will redshirt IMO. Even if we get a grad transfer. 

I feel like we just need someone that can pass block in the SEC.  We having running talent. But when RWIII went out our best pass blocker, and only proven pass blocker, went with him.

hogfan14

Quote from: factchecker on May 18, 2017, 11:14:14 am
Former Clemson runningback Tyshon Dye.  He is a grad transfer looking for a landing spot but I think Miami is his leader currently.

Saw where he committed to East Carolina.

I would be fine with taking a productive smaller school back who wants to prove he can play in the SEC. Low risk high reward.

factchecker

May 18, 2017, 11:20:20 am #6 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:25:18 pm by factchecker
Quote from: hogfan14 on May 18, 2017, 11:18:38 am

I would be fine with taking a productive smaller school back who wants to prove he can play in the SEC. Low risk high reward.

Good info.

I agree.  The best part of a grad transfer is that they will be one and done so they won't eat up a scholly after this season.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

No way does he redshirt both of the freshmen rb's
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 18, 2017, 11:18:38 am

True. Especially with Running Backs the risk is lower. Easier to adjust at that position.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Tyshon Dye and David Williams are the 2 RB Bielema has contacted. Both have already committed to other schools. We are trying to change their minds

hawgon

Why would a graduate transfer come here merely to provide depth?  You've got one year.  You go where you can play.  Are we bad enough off there that we are telling these guys they can come in and play?

Hawghiggs

I like adding Grad Transfer. But if we are going to add one. How about we add to the O-line again.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawgon on May 18, 2017, 08:36:33 pm
Why would a graduate transfer come here merely to provide depth?  You've got one year.  You go where you can play.  Are we bad enough off there that we are telling these guys they can come in and play?

How do you know they can't play here? We did just lose 1,300 yards last week.

hawgon

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 18, 2017, 08:42:08 pm
How do you know they can't play here? We did just lose 1,300 yards last week.

I would suggest that if he actually can come in here and play, we've got big problems.  Kind of like last year when a guy who was more or less a scrub at Texas came in and was plugged into a starting position on the Oline.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawgon on May 18, 2017, 08:44:11 pm
I would suggest that if the actually can come in here and play, we've got big problems.

Both the guys they have looked at played at P5 schools one in the SEC and one just won a NC. Both were 4 stars out of High School.

LRRandy

The Razorbacks are in search of a graduate transfer to join the team yet have a graduate player looking for a team to transfer to. Is Day not healthy enough to play or not good enough to play. Just seems odd.
This is fun, isn't it.

I suspect we are looking for a pass protection RB that can also run the football.  That Guy would play a lot.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LRRandy on May 18, 2017, 08:48:08 pm
The Razorbacks are in search of a graduate transfer to join the team yet have a graduate player looking for a team to transfer to. Is Day not healthy enough to play or not good enough to play. Just seems odd.

Yes, Day was not good enough to play here. Which was contributed to by his multiple ACL tears

bennyl08

Quote from: LRRandy on May 18, 2017, 08:48:08 pm

If he wasn't healthy enough to play, why would he be looking to play somewhere else?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 18, 2017, 09:11:20 pm
If he wasn't healthy enough to play, why would he be looking to play somewhere else?
I think he meant that his health setbacks caused him to get passed up by newcomers on the depth chart.

bennyl08

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 18, 2017, 09:20:37 pm
I think he meant that his health setbacks caused him to get passed up by newcomers on the depth chart.

Then how would that be different than his second option? I assumed he was listing two options that were unique.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 18, 2017, 09:37:38 pm
Then how would that be different than his second option? I assumed he was listing two options that were unique.

Day was no better than third on the depth chart behind guys all younger with more competition on the way. We have shown a willingness to feed two backs in the past. It's not unreasonable a grad transfer with the skills to contribute would consider us.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

LRRandy

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 18, 2017, 09:37:38 pm
I guess the talk of finding another place to play confused me. The narrative was that Day was healthy, as healthy as he has been since he arrived in Fayetteville. That he was going to have an opportunity to contribute. I guess I didn't read between the lines.
This is fun, isn't it.

Paul

I would suggest that if he actually can come in here and play, we've got big problems.  Kind of like last year when a guy who was more or less a scrub at Texas came in and was plugged into a starting position on the Oline.
Raulerson was supposed to be the starting center before he transferred here

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: LRRandy on May 18, 2017, 10:03:14 pm
I guess the talk of finding another place to play confused me. The narrative was that Day was healthy, as healthy as he has been since he arrived in Fayetteville. That he was going to have an opportunity to contribute. I guess I didn't read between the lines.

Define "narrative".  Freshman Williams had far more ink.

LRRandy

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on May 18, 2017, 10:06:49 pm
Define "narrative".  Freshman Williams had far more ink.
when the RB were listed as options to help lighten the load that was lost with RWIII, Day was mentioned as being healthy and ready to contribute.

This was from Mike Erwin's article.
Juan Day, the often injured junior from North Little Rock, had his best spring as a Razorback adding to the depth offensive coordinator Dan Enos has available at that position.
This is fun, isn't it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LRRandy on May 18, 2017, 10:11:41 pm
when the RB were listed as options to help lighten the load that was lost with RWIII, Day was mentioned as being healthy and ready to contribute.

Juan Day, the often injured junior from North Little Rock, had his best spring as a Razorback adding to the depth offensive coordinator Dan Enos has available at that position.

Having his best spring. Yeah strong words.

Sarcasm

bennyl08

It's possible the injuries stunted his development to the point where he was too far behind the 8-ball. However, as a 3 year player iirc, he was already behind Maleek who was straight out of HS. He had a healthy spring and was either 3rd or 4th on the depth chart depending on where you put Hammonds despite being the oldest in the group.

More important than whether he had the skills or not to be a major contributor for us, he had the skills to be a football player and graduate in 3 years and will be transferring to another school with his name forever engrained on that sidewalk. I hope that is what becomes of his legacy here more than injuries or any shortcomings.

Mike_e

If you're going to quote him at least spell his name right.

hint:  it's got an I in it
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

southeasthog

You are an awesome Hog Fan. Way to support players that come here.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

twistitup

Did Pettway from Auburn graduate? We need him...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

southeasthog

Quote from: twistitup on May 19, 2017, 06:04:54 am
Did Pettway from Auburn graduate? We need him...

Does anyone ever "graduate" from Auburn?
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

LZH

Quote from: southeasthog on May 19, 2017, 06:06:20 am
Does anyone ever "graduate" from Auburn?

Certificate of Attendance......

onebadrubi

Quote from: LZH on May 19, 2017, 06:09:28 am
Certificate of Attendance......

I thought they gave out chubby chasing awards

RazorRed26

The_Iceman

If they think they can win the #2 RB spot, they will get plenty of carries in our system.

code red

Think Day is transferring.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

in addition.  They will be 3rd down back and be protecting Austin will be a chunk of the duty.  This goes with mentioning but.  As Austin goes so does our season.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jgphillips3

You don't redshirt talented running backs unless they are injured or physically incapable.  Maleek paid his dues in the Spring.  If Hayden is as good as we think, you risk the Philon situation where he bolts as a redshirt sophomore having only gotten two seasons out of him.  RB's have such a short shelf life in the NFL, it makes little sense to redshirt one unless you are Alabama and you are 5 star stacked and some are going to transfer or leave anyway.

twistitup

Too bad Day is leaving....in state kid, I thought he would be a good Juan
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Mike_e on May 19, 2017, 05:12:06 am
If you're going to quote him at least spell his name right.

hint:  it's got an I in it

He used an I. Just needed another one. (Or should I say another Juan?)😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

colbs

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on May 18, 2017, 11:23:37 am
No way does he redshirt both of the freshmen rb's
Even if RW3 hadn't moved on Maleek would have not redshirted.  There is really no reason to RS a RB unless for injury or they aren't good enough to see the field.  If they are good enough you play them.  If a RB is any good they usually enter the draft after 3 years regardless due to the amount of hits the RB takes.  If you RS them they may just leave after their RS Sophomore year and you only get two years out of them on the field. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 19, 2017, 09:34:39 am
You don't redshirt talented running backs unless they are injured or physically incapable.  Maleek paid his dues in the Spring.  If Hayden is as good as we think, you risk the Philon situation where he bolts as a redshirt sophomore having only gotten two seasons out of him.  RB's have such a short shelf life in the NFL, it makes little sense to redshirt one unless you are Alabama and you are 5 star stacked and some are going to transfer or leave anyway.
I understand what you are saying but tell me why a graduate transfer would want to come here and play third or forth string string? I would think he would want to prove himself someplace and get drafted. Keep in mind Hammonds is pushing for RB PT.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 19, 2017, 01:51:11 pm
I understand what you are saying but tell me why a graduate transfer would want to come here and play third or forth string string? I would think he would want to prove himself someplace and get drafted. Keep in mind Hammonds is pushing for RB PT.

According to the last CBB interview he's not.  He said (IIRC) that he may get some carries but that they like what he can do at WR.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2017, 01:58:23 pm
According to the last CBB interview he's not.  He said (IIRC) that he may get some carries but that they like what he can do at WR.

Was that before or after RW3 left though?

jgphillips3

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 19, 2017, 01:51:11 pm

I agree with what you are saying about transfers not wanting to be third string.  I was just saying to those who hoped for a grad transfer so we could redshirt Hayden or Maleek that they should just look at transfers independent of redshirts for kids we have now because good running backs don't redshirt.  Arkansas, since CBB got here, has been a dual back system.   We don't really have first and second string so much as 1A and 1B.  A transfer would be looking at taking that 1B slot.  Your ideal candidate would be a running back from a non-P5 school that can pass block and wants one year playing against the best talent in the Country.  Getting players from elite schools or elite conferences would be unlikely.  If there were a DeAngelo Williams at Memphis type kid who wanted one year in the SEC to be our other 1000 yard back, that would be ideal.

Piggfoot

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 19, 2017, 03:17:20 pm
I agree with what you are saying about transfers not wanting to be third string.  I was just saying to those who hoped for a grad transfer so we could redshirt Hayden or Maleek that they should just look at transfers independent of redshirts for kids we have now because good running backs don't redshirt.  Arkansas, since CBB got here, has been a dual back system.   We don't really have first and second string so much as 1A and 1B.  A transfer would be looking at taking that 1B slot.  Your ideal candidate would be a running back from a non-P5 school that can pass block and wants one year playing against the best talent in the Country.  Getting players from elite schools or elite conferences would be unlikely.  If there were a DeAngelo Williams at Memphis type kid who wanted one year in the SEC to be our other 1000 yard back, that would be ideal.

We are 1a/1b if we have two backs on a similar level. 2015 we were a 1a and 3b team with Collins shouldering almost the entire load.

When RW3 was still figuring into the equation, Maleek was already threatening to be a 1c and not a 2. This isn't 2015 where there was a clear dropoff and spot immediately available for a 1b. Maleek would have to factor into a graduate transfer's equation. If they are confident that they will beat him, there's a good chance that the transfer would be 1a and Whaley 1b.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 02:50:15 pm
Was that before or after RW3 left though?

I think it was after. But I'm not sure.

jgphillips3

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 04:22:32 pm
We are 1a/1b if we have two backs on a similar level. 2015 we were a 1a and 3b team with Collins shouldering almost the entire load.

When RW3 was still figuring into the equation, Maleek was already threatening to be a 1c and not a 2. This isn't 2015 where there was a clear dropoff and spot immediately available for a 1b. Maleek would have to factor into a graduate transfer's equation. If they are confident that they will beat him, there's a good chance that the transfer would be 1a and Whaley 1b.

I understand where you are coming from, but it doesn't change the fact that we are a dual back system (or even triple back sometimes).  What you are talking about are situations where we were left high and dry by injury, recruiting or what have you. 

However, our system is designed to feature two backs.  It is the system I am talking about, not so much the vagueries of individual years where we may have to do things in a less than preferable way.  CBB always wants two feature backs and some change ups behind them. 

A transfer would know that CBB wants two studs and that, other than unproven freshmen and TJ, we only have Devwah right now in the stud, "complete" back category.  That opportunity to be one half of our two back system is what would appeal to them as opposed to systems where only one guy is featured and that "one guy" might not be them.