Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which permanent East opponent would you rather- Tennessee or UGA?

Started by Hogwild, May 18, 2017, 08:12:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

With Pat Dye, Jay Jacobs, and Gus all saying in recent days that Auburn is open to moving to the East, with Missouri headed the West, our East opponent would have to change.

Auburn and Alabama would be matched up inter-division, that means in the East Georgia & Tennessee would need new permanent opponents with us and Missouri in the West being the two with out any.

I would prefer Tennessee, only because I would enjoy that trip a little more.

hogcard1964

Vanderbilt

Beautiful campus and great area. Not to mention, they're more our caliber.

Tennessee and Georgia usually curb stomp us.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Tennessee. Its almost always an exciting game where something crazy happens
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The_Iceman

Alabama vs. Auburn

Florida vs. LSU

Ole Miss vs. Georgia

Miss State vs. Vanderbilt

Texas a&m vs. Tennessee

Mizzou vs. South Carolina

Arkansas vs. Kentucky

I chose Kentucky for us because of the basketball rivalry connection.

LZH

Pudgepork

Hogs vs Utenn would be my choice because we have bad history with them, already hate the color and UT, along with being bordering states. 
However, if Hogs get UTenn, that give aTm an easier east opponent and a gimmee win in most years
I think Hogs should settle for kaintuck to strengthen @Tms schedule

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pudgepork on May 18, 2017, 08:36:55 am
Hogs vs Utenn would be my choice because we have bad history with them, already hate the color and UT, along with being bordering states. 
However, if Hogs get UTenn, that give aTm an easier east opponent and a gimmee win in most years
I think Hogs should settle for kaintuck to strengthen @Tms schedule

+1000

Kentucky campus is beautiful.

Hogs-n-Roses

Tennessee. Foods better around the stadium and I've tailgated with lots of the locals on several occasions. They were very nice to us.

justmakeit2thebcs

justmakeit2thebcs

May 18, 2017, 08:49:30 am #10 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:00:10 am by justmakeit2thebcs
Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2017, 08:26:53 am
Alabama vs. Auburn

Florida vs. LSU

Ole Miss vs. Georgia

Miss State vs. Vanderbilt

Texas a&m vs. Tennessee

Mizzou vs. South Carolina

Arkansas vs. Kentucky

I chose Kentucky for us because of the basketball rivalry connection.
Ark -Tenner     (an original permanent opp, plus I was born to hate all things orange, especially burnt)
Mizzu - Vandy  (two crappy teams deserve each other)
Ole Miss - Georgia  (back to the 60's)
MSU - KY  (permanent today)
LSU - Fla   (permanent today)
A&M - SC  (permanent today)
Bama - Aubbie  (iron bowl)

nchogg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 18, 2017, 08:23:26 am
Tennessee. Its almost always an exciting game where something crazy happens
I agree. I lived in TN for a few years and they are some fun fans to be around.

The_Iceman

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on May 18, 2017, 08:49:30 am
Ark -Tenner     (an original permanent opp, plus I was born to hate all things orange, especially burnt)
Mizzu - Vandy  (two crappy teams deserve each other)
Ole Miss - Georgia  (back to the 60's)
MSU - KY  (permanent today)
LSU - Fla   (permanent today)
A&M - SC  (permanent today)
Bama - Aubbie  (iron bowl)

Good points. So really only us and Mizzou with Vandy and Tenn are affected by this. Seems pretty clear cut.

Only question is if we get Vandy or Tennessee.

hogsanity

so some of you would rather play TN or GA every year and let MSU and someone else get the two "easiest" teams from the SECE? Why is all of God's great creation would you want that?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on May 18, 2017, 09:06:30 am
so some of you would rather play TN or GA every year and let MSU and someone else get the two "easiest" teams from the SECE? Why is all of God's great creation would you want that?

We'd rather get s***kicked by UGa or Tennessee than deal with the embarrassment of losing to Vanderbilt.

bphi11ips

The question wasn't "who from the east would you rather play", it was "Tennessee or Georgia".  Given that choice, I'd take Tennessee for several reasons.

Ole Miss and Ms. State already have the easiest East opponents.  Given a choice, I'd take Vandy.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HamSammich

These are the same people that want to see Florida state, Oklahoma, Texas, Norte dame and Ohio state join the SEC.... I don't understand them and never will.

Sure let's root to play Georgia or Tennessee EVERY DANG year. Smart.

sowmonella

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 18, 2017, 08:22:12 am
Vanderbilt

We are 4-2 against TN & GA since 2005.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2017, 09:12:05 am
We'd rather get s***kicked by UGa or Tennessee than deal with the embarrassment of losing to Vanderbilt.

+1000   It wouldn't matter

As we are right now, odds are we'd blow a 21 point halftime lead to Vanderbilt.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Supermark101

Tennessee because they will never be what they were which means easier game most years.

hogcard1964

Quote from: sowmonella on May 18, 2017, 09:33:18 am
We are 4-2 against TN & GA since 2005.

Our lifetime record against Tennessee is 5-13.  Against UGA it's 4-10.  For God's sakes we have losing records to both Kentucky and Missouri as well.

NoogaHog

I would say UT, because its close to my home. But I wouldn't mind playing Sakerlina regularly again. We usually played them better than we do Misery or BBN, 52-0 not withstanding.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

The_Iceman

Quote from: HamSammich on May 18, 2017, 09:29:29 am
These are the same people that want to see Florida state, Oklahoma, Texas, Norte dame and Ohio state join the SEC.... I don't understand them and never will.

Sure let's root to play Georgia or Tennessee EVERY DANG year. Smart.

In football, unless you are competing for the playoffs (which we aren't) just get as many wins as possible.

bville_hog

Tenn, we compete much better with them.  Have we ever even beaten Georgia?  I remember a Bowl like back in the 70's i think with Ray Goff as their coach?

LZH

Quote from: bville_hog on May 18, 2017, 10:51:39 am
Tenn, we compete much better with them.  Have we ever even beaten Georgia?  I remember a Bowl like back in the 70's i think with Ray Goff as their coach?

"Childs please.....!"

hobhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 18, 2017, 09:33:56 am
+1000   It wouldn't matter

As we are right now, odds are we'd blow a 21 point halftime lead to Vanderbilt.

You guys are real fun to be around I bet. Such insight and excitement you exude....

hogcard1964

Quote from: hobhog on May 18, 2017, 11:54:15 am
You guys are real fun to be around I bet. Such insight and excitement you exude....

Hey, I think we just blew a 17 pt lead to Mizzou, who was actually a horrible team.

hobhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 18, 2017, 12:04:53 pm
Hey, I think we just blew a 17 pt lead to Mizzou, who was actually a horrible team.

Wow. Really know your Hog history too. Kudos.

colbs

Vanderbilt

When is the last time Tenner beat Arkansas?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

NoogaHog

Quote from: colbs on May 18, 2017, 12:07:50 pm
When is the last time Tenner beat Arkansas?

My story from the trash-talk thread:

November 2007, I was given tickets to see the Hogs play UT in Knoxville. The Hogs had DMac and Felix. The Vols had one of the worst running defenses in the Nation. The Great Pumpkin was a dead man walking. Vol fans had grown tired of his "old-fashioned" game and middling results. (They were ranked 22, just not good enough for Vol fans).

Most expected a "heavy dose" of Arkansas running back and the Vols to have no answer. Arkansas came out flat and uninspired and lost 31-13. I have always wondered if before the game was when the players learned that Nutt was leaving.

Anyhoo, my bride and I were waiting in our car to get out of a parking garage after the game. This 20 something (likely drunk) Vol chick got off the elevator and tried to get a yell going. "Go Vols!" or some such nonsense. She looked at me because I wasn't yelling. I showed her my cap with the red baseball A on it. 

She then gave me the sneer/double bird/pelvic thrust combo. It was...

...kinda hot.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hogwild

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2017, 08:31:06 am
When would this happen?

Probably not anytime soon, but it looks like Auburn's athletic dept. is interested

From Gus yesterday- http://gridironnow.com/gus-malzahn-auburn-sec-east-makes-sense/

Seebs

Tennessee please. They have a color close to Texas so I can pretend when we beat them we beat Texas as well.   Hate is hate.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

LRRandy

Georgia is the right answer. Much more furtile recruiting ground and Georgia is ranked more often/higher than Tenn. A higher profile game.
This is fun, isn't it.

GuvHog

In my opinion, the only way I see Auburn moving to the East is in a deal where Bama goes East too which would mean adding 2 teams to the West and moving Missouri to the West bring the number of schools in the SEC to 16. Not likely to happen but if it did, I'd pick Tennessee for the Hogs permanent opponent without even hesitating.

Something like this:

SEC WEST

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Go to a 9 game Conference schedule will 2 games against teams from the other division (1 permanent opponent, the other rotating).

Permanent Opponents:

Arkansas vs Tennessee
LSU vs Georgia
Missouri vs Vanderbilt
Mississippi State vs Kentucky
Ole Miss vs South Carolina
Oklahoma vs Alabama
Oklahoma State vs Auburn
Texas A&M vs Florida
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 01:51:07 pm
In my opinion, the only way I see Auburn moving to the East is in a deal where Bama goes East too which would mean adding 2 teams to the West and moving Missouri to the West bring the number of schools in the SEC to 16. Not likely to happen but if it did, I'd pick Tennessee for the Hogs permanent opponent without even hesitating.

Something like this:

SEC WEST

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Go to a 9 game Conference schedule will 2 games against teams from the other division (1 permanent opponent, the other rotating).

Permanent Opponents:

Arkansas vs Tennessee
LSU vs Georgia
Missouri vs Vanderbilt
Oklahoma vs Alabama
Oklahoma State vs Auburn
Texas A&M vs Florida

OU and OSU to SEC would be very bad for UA. Worse that A$M. Screw them- let them hang with whorns and get left behind.......

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 01:51:07 pm

Something like this:

SEC WEST

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Permanent Opponents:

Arkansas vs Tennessee
LSU vs Georgia
Missouri vs Vanderbilt
Oklahoma vs Alabama
Oklahoma State vs Auburn
Texas A&M vs Florida

Not true. Auburn would move East as ling as Bama is their permanent cross opponent. The Bama/Tenn rivalry is worth losing IMO. Not what it used to be.

Hogwild

Quote from: hobhog on May 18, 2017, 02:46:03 pm
OU and OSU to SEC would be very bad for UA. Worse that A$M. Screw them- let them hang with whorns and get left behind.......

OU & OK State are not joining the SEC, it makes no financial sense.   It would cost the current members money.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogwild on May 18, 2017, 03:53:11 pm
OU & OK State are not joining the SEC, it makes no financial sense.   It would cost the current members money.

As long as no other P5 conference moves to expand any farther, I agree that the SEC won't make that move. There are rumors though, that the Big 10 is getting ready to expand again. It's been rumored that both OU and Okla State have had standing offers from the SEC on the table for a while now.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2017, 03:21:27 pm
Not true. Auburn would move East as ling as Bama is their permanent cross opponent. The Bama/Tenn rivalry is worth losing IMO. Not what it used to be.

I still don't see it happening unless the SEC expands.

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

tusksincolorado

UGA....just a better, classier, knowledgeable fan base.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

goodguytex

Vanderbilt

We've actually don't pretty well against both the last few times we played them. I was at the Arkansas vs Tennessee game in 2011 with Drite, who some of you know, and his Grandpa. Great game with great people.

Hogwild

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 04:23:16 pm
There are rumors though, that the Big 10 is getting ready to expand again. It's been rumored that both OU and Okla State have had standing offers from the SEC on the table for a while now.

Those rumors are for a more polite word, false. No way the SEC adds a team that would cost them revenue. 

OU is handicapped because they turned their back on their conference traditional rivals, Nebraska/Colorado/Missouri, for the Longhorns.  Now the OK legislature wants to handcuff the two schools, which won't happen.

The Pac 12 passed on the 4 team packaged deal back in '11 because of OK State, the Big 10 is a non starter for Ok State.  And the SEC & ACC both  passed on West Virginia, so their is no way they add Ok State.

Hoggish1

curb stomped?  We beat UT last we played.  UGA? We are 1-1 the last two meetings with them...