Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Because it's summer and we keep having the same stupid conversation, a poll...

Started by Deep Shoat, May 17, 2017, 02:50:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which method of building the football program best serves Arkansas?

Cheat like SMU and Ole Miss
14 (6.2%)
Hire and fire coaches every two years until we hit "The Next Big Thing"
7 (3.1%)
Build with a long term plan that may not come to fruition for 8-10 years
149 (65.6%)
Break the bank and hire Urban or Nick.  Pay them ANY amount of money to get them here.
57 (25.1%)

Total Members Voted: 227

Deep Shoat

Those are the four views I see expressed on the board most often, in a nutshell.  Which do you prefer?  Which makes the most sense for Arkansas.
All Gas, No Brakes!

code red

How bout "work on fundamental aspects of defense" I would chose that over these.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Deep Shoat

Quote from: code red on May 17, 2017, 02:55:46 pm
How bout "work on fundamental aspects of defense" I would chose that over these.
How bout "don't be a dumbarse".  We already do that, just like everyone else.
All Gas, No Brakes!

code red

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 02:58:47 pm
How bout "don't be a dumbarse".  We already do that, just like everyone else.

Nice but fail....watch the film.  Looks like your keeping it "stupid" for sure.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

RazorbackToTheFuture

EastexHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 02:50:13 pm
Those are the four views I see expressed on the board most often, in a nutshell.  Which do you prefer?  Which makes the most sense for Arkansas.

No, those are not the options you see expressed most often.  I have been a member since 2005 and the next person I see post that we should hire and fire coaches every two years will be the first.  I have also not seen anyone claim that the only worthwhile potential coaches are Saban and Meyer.  I have seen a few people say "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' ", but I have mostly taken that as a joke.

So, basically, you set up a poll in which the only "reasonable" answer, at least in your mind, is the one you have espoused in other threads.

The OTR

What amount of money are you talking about paying Nick or Urban?  And do you really think we could ever get that kind of money?  And would they ever come here? 

I think we do need to take some of that lobster money and cowboy boot money and maybe do something with it other than feast on lobster 7 times a year or wear those boots to one concert.  Maybe sell lobsters po boy sandwiches at games or something like that.

Hoggish1

Inhogswetrust

Normally we do NOT fire coaches every two years and I don't see that on here often. Most get at least four if not five or six.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

EastexHawg

The main attribute we need in a coach at Arkansas is high intelligence.  We need someone who outthinks the Kinesiology and General Studies majors he faces on the opposite sideline.  Jimmy Johnson was a great example of that.  I have read that he is one of the most intelligent men to coach in either college football or the NFL and it showed.  He didn't necessarily do things by the book, he did things the smart way...the way that gave him the best odds of winning.

The second thing we need is somewhat tied to that.  We need someone who runs an innovative program, especially offensively. 

The third trait we need is a keen judgment of talent and how that talent will fit into our system.  Recruiting stars matter, but not as much as being able to evaluate players on our own and sign guys who can help us win within the system in which they will play.

Fourth, we need a tireless worker.  He needs to outwork his opponents and demand the same level of dedication to the task from his staff and team.  The will to win has to push him, and them, constantly.

We need a great teacher, someone who knows his (innovative) approach frontward and backward and demands attention to detail from his staff and players.  Our receivers need to not only know that their break is at eight steps, but also how long those steps have to be.

It's not going to be easy because our opponents are trying to do the same thing.  They are working hard, they are trying to be innovative, they want to win as well. 

Sadly, it's not enough to want it or to try, winning in this conference requires superior talent...on the part of the coach.  He's going to have to be really, really good.  Trying hard in athletics isn't a guarantee of success.  There are people in every endeavor who are just plain better at it than others, and one of those people is what we need.

Pig in the Pokey

Back up the Brink's truck. To have a $100mill/yr program and be willing to spend 4 mill a year, but HEAVEN'S NO, NOT 10, is dumb. If we spent 10mill on a WORTHY of 10mill coach, we'd up the revenue by more than the 6million salary delta between 10milly-man and Coach Bielema.

Not Urban, though. And Saban is ungettable. But, 10million to Dabo might work. And it'd pay off, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jkstock04

You should add an option to cheat like the programs that don't get caught and I would be all over that one.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 03:25:45 pm
No, those are not the options you see expressed most often.  I have been a member since 2005 and the next person I see post that we should hire and fire coaches every two years will be the first.  I have also not seen anyone claim that the only worthwhile potential coaches are Saban and Meyer.  I have seen a few people say "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' ", but I have mostly taken that as a joke.

So, basically, you set up a poll in which the only "reasonable" answer, at least in your mind, is the one you have espoused in other threads.
Really?  Your membership must not amount to much.  Because those are the options available.  I'm not sure if you are aware, but you don't just go hire that superior intellect coupled with a tireless worker, and innovative O, and amazing talent evaluator down at "Petrino's R Us".  And they don't grow on trees.  To win the way you want requires we do something out of the ordinary. 

Many fans are ok with cheating.  They post about it often.

Another group thinks we just need to pay more and we can get anyone to come here. 

Then there is your group, who NEVER stops bitching about the coach we have, except for a two year stretch where Bobby worked some magic.  they obviously aren't happy with who we have, and they won't be happy with the next guy.  In fact, you are the guy who posted about how all the great coaches win immediately. 

The only other option is waiting and giving a guy, a proven guy, time to do what he does.

You got a better plan, or do you just like to bitch?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 17, 2017, 04:17:07 pm
You should add an option to cheat like the programs that don't get caught and I would be all over that one.
We aren't those programs.  They don't get caught because they are the cash cows of college football.
All Gas, No Brakes!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I'm going "Break The Bank", but that's because I'm tired of the bitching and want to see if their ready made persona will attract recruits. Just simple curiosity...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 04:17:08 pm
The only other option is waiting and giving a guy, a proven guy, time to do what he does.

You got a better plan, or do you just like to bitch?

Did you ever stop to think that holding onto a coach might not be the best answer?  Every year that you keep a coach who doesn't end up getting the job done is a year that can never be retrieved, a year in which a better coach could have been building his program and achieving more success than your "seniority" guy.  It's called opportunity cost. We kept Nutt for ten years.  Is it your opinion that what we really needed to do was give him a few more years instead of "starting over"?

I have never said Bielema should have been fired after two years.  I'm not advocating that he be fired right now.  You're the one putting those words in everyone else's mouths.  But after next year...five years on the job?  If he is 7-6 or worse after five years I'm not interested in hearing the excuses, which we all know have probably already been formulated and are there in the holster, ready to be drawn at a moment's notice..."we lost our receivers"..."we were adjusting to a new defensive scheme"...blah, blah, blah.  For that matter, I already know the excuse for 2018 if we get that far and folks like you think it is needed..."we were breaking in a new quarterback!"

There are outstanding coaches out there.  Other programs hire them, both those with track records and those who can be identified as brilliant up and comers.  Washington hired Chris Petersen.  Are they a football mecca that can choose any coach they want?  What about Broyles himself?  He had one year of head coaching experience when John Barnhill gave him the call.  Jack Mitchell had been given three years (as I recall), so I assume that if Broyles hadn't worked out he wouldn't have stayed for very long, either.

What you don't do is hang onto a coach who is putting up the worst conference record in your program's history.  What is the risk involved in making a change in that case?  And...why would FANS, of all people, be so outraged at the prospect of making the move?  I have never known of fans whose primary interest wasn't winning, but maybe we are different.

MuskogeeHogFan

I think it is seemingly impossible for some "fans" who have their feet firmly entrenched (maybe in concrete with rebar) in separate camps to have an unbiased discussion of the facts and that leads to this "I'll try to throw a haymaker at you, you try to throw a haymaker at me, and we will see who is last man standing" kind of arguments that never accomplish anything. But then, some people just like to go back and forth at each other.

There is one side of the argument and there is the other side and then there is the truth, which is probably found somewhere in the middle.
Go Hogs Go!

Buff

Forgot to add "Rehire Petrino"

If you're gonna have a poll, let's get Zeke involved in the discussion.

lakecityhog

So, it sounds like you either agree with Deep or you are just a bitcher!

It must be nice to have the right to judge all people by your own standards, "like what I like or you are stupid."

While I am not yet on the "Fire BB" bandwagon, I do believe that he could have done a better job with the talent that he has had over the last couple of years.

By the way, which coach did we fire after 2 years? 3 Years? 4 Years??

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 04:09:48 pm
The main attribute we need in a coach at Arkansas is high intelligence.  We need someone who outthinks the Kinesiology and General Studies majors he faces on the opposite sideline.  Jimmy Johnson was a great example of that.  I have read that he is one of the most intelligent men to coach in either college football or the NFL and it showed.  He didn't necessarily do things by the book, he did things the smart way...the way that gave him the best odds of winning.

The second thing we need is somewhat tied to that.  We need someone who runs an innovative program, especially offensively. 

The third trait we need is a keen judgment of talent and how that talent will fit into our system.  Recruiting stars matter, but not as much as being able to evaluate players on our own and sign guys who can help us win within the system in which they will play.

Fourth, we need a tireless worker.  He needs to outwork his opponents and demand the same level of dedication to the task from his staff and team.  The will to win has to push him, and them, constantly.

We need a great teacher, someone who knows his (innovative) approach frontward and backward and demands attention to detail from his staff and players.  Our receivers need to not only know that their break is at eight steps, but also how long those steps have to be.

It's not going to be easy because our opponents are trying to do the same thing.  They are working hard, they are trying to be innovative, they want to win as well. 

Sadly, it's not enough to want it or to try, winning in this conference requires superior talent...on the part of the coach.  He's going to have to be really, really good.  Trying hard in athletics isn't a guarantee of success.  There are people in every endeavor who are just plain better at it than others, and one of those people is what we need.

Last time I checked that dude was nailed to a cross.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

lakecityhog

That's what you got out of what Eastex had to say???

And to top that you call him "dude"?????

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lakecityhog on May 17, 2017, 07:13:56 pm
So, it sounds like you either agree with Deep or you are just a bitcher!

It must be nice to have the right to judge all people by your own standards, "like what I like or you are stupid."

While I am not yet on the "Fire BB" bandwagon, I do believe that he could have done a better job with the talent that he has had over the last couple of years.

By the way, which coach did we fire after 2 years? 3 Years? 4 Years??
Not at all.  But let's take Eastex at his word.  He really doesn't want to fire CBB right now.  If that's true, why doesn't he stop complaining until he DOES want to fire him? 

Because he'd rather be right than win.  He wants CBB to fail because that would prove him right.  Either that, or he's just a bitcher.

I mean really, it's not like he told us once 4 years ago that he didn't think CBB would be up to the job, then reiterated it after we lost a couple ugly last season.  It has been a steady drumbeat, everytime we aren't winning game after game, since the man was hired.  Not once have I seen him post something positive, even when we were going 5-3 and winning 8 games and shutting out 2 top 25 opponents.

If you really don't want him fired right now, then shut up about how much he sucks.  Because you aren't helping the program by being a negative tool.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Buff on May 17, 2017, 06:09:02 pm
Forgot to add "Rehire Petrino"

If you're gonna have a poll, let's get Zeke involved in the discussion.
That isn't happening. All the other options are, at least, in the realm of possibility.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: lakecityhog on May 17, 2017, 09:10:42 pm
That's what you got out of what Eastex had to say???

And to top that you call him "dude"?????

Ridiculous ain't it?

Kind of like someone picking the greatest attribubutes a head coach can have, all rolled up into one, and expecting that coach to salivate over the prospect of coaching at Arkansas.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 04:34:28 pm
Did you ever stop to think that holding onto a coach might not be the best answer?  Every year that you keep a coach who doesn't end up getting the job done is a year that can never be retrieved, a year in which a better coach could have been building his program and achieving more success than your "seniority" guy.  It's called opportunity cost. We kept Nutt for ten years.  Is it your opinion that what we really needed to do was give him a few more years instead of "starting over"?

I have never said Bielema should have been fired after two years.  I'm not advocating that he be fired right now.  You're the one putting those words in everyone else's mouths.  But after next year...five years on the job?  If he is 7-6 or worse after five years I'm not interested in hearing the excuses, which we all know have probably already been formulated and are there in the holster, ready to be drawn at a moment's notice..."we lost our receivers"..."we were adjusting to a new defensive scheme"...blah, blah, blah.  For that matter, I already know the excuse for 2018 if we get that far and folks like you think it is needed..."we were breaking in a new quarterback!"

There are outstanding coaches out there.  Other programs hire them, both those with track records and those who can be identified as brilliant up and comers.  Washington hired Chris Petersen.  Are they a football mecca that can choose any coach they want?  What about Broyles himself?  He had one year of head coaching experience when John Barnhill gave him the call.  Jack Mitchell had been given three years (as I recall), so I assume that if Broyles hadn't worked out he wouldn't have stayed for very long, either.

What you don't do is hang onto a coach who is putting up the worst conference record in your program's history.  What is the risk involved in making a change in that case?  And...why would FANS, of all people, be so outraged at the prospect of making the move?  I have never known of fans whose primary interest wasn't winning, but maybe we are different.
Of course I've thought of that.  I saw the Nutt debacle.  I believe Bielema was good enough at Wisconsin to have earned a little bit of leeway, though. 

As to "I've never said Bielema should be fired after two years", maybe you haven't.  You also haven't had one positive thing to say about the guy since he was hired.  You've been against him from the beginning.  If you don't want him fired, then stop being negative about the guy and let him have his shot.  Once you are ready to fire him, come in swinging.  Otherwise, we'll just assume you want him fired all the time, because you never stop complaining about him.

And sure, there are outstanding coaches.  Do you know who they are?  Petersen isn't coming here.  We tried.  Dabo isn't coming here.  He's at Clemson until Nick retires.  Who else is an outstanding coach who would turn us around forthwith?  Is there one that could?  Maybe.  Are we likely to hire him in the offseason if we make this Bielema's last? 

As to your last point, I believe in the improvement more than I believe in the 0fer.  By a long shot.  Last year sucked, and it put some doubt in my mind. But I still believe it is better to give the man his 2 more years to prove, one way or another, if he can do the job.  I think we will win 17+ over the next two seasons.  If we do, are you still going to keep complaining about CBB everytime you post?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

I will add, my outrage is not at making a move from Bielema.  I'm not married to the guy.  My outrage is at the ida many of you seem to have that there is some magic pill in coach form that will just miraculously fix the inherent difficulties of Arkansas Football.  Short of getting lucky and identifying the next Nick/Urban, I believe we have to build with consistency and time. 

You guys seem like you just hope we win the lottery.
All Gas, No Brakes!

lakecityhog

Many of us think that you could be his brother with the way that you constantly come to his rescue!
You provide excuses for his failings to the point that it is sickening. I have been on record saying give him his 6 years, but a couple of you guys are so gung-ho on keeping him forever that it almost makes me want to see him gone just so your ever-present hugging might stop.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: lakecityhog on May 17, 2017, 09:51:30 pm
Many of us think that you could be his brother with the way that you constantly come to his rescue!
You provide excuses for his failings to the point that it is sickening. I have been on record saying give him his 6 years, but a couple of you guys are so gung-ho on keeping him forever that it almost makes me want to see him gone just so your ever-present hugging might stop.

Now you did it. CBB gets an additional 8 years...after his present contract has expired.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lakecityhog on May 17, 2017, 09:51:30 pm
Good grief.  Did you really read that in ANYTHING I've said?

I like Coach B.  He's a good man.  He's a good coach.  He proved it before coming here.  He may or may not be up to the task in front of him.  The next two seasons will prove it, one way or the other.  And that is what I've said.  I believe it takes time to build depth and develop talent at Arkansas.  Unless I've missed it, we don't get multiple 5 stars every season.

At no point have I defended Coach B's record since he got here, although I find it disingenous to include his first year.  At no point have I defended the collapse against Auburn, Mizzou, or Virginia Tech.  I understand and have tried to explain why they happened, but I don't defend.

If we don't win at least 16 over the next two seasons, it'll be time for him to move on.  If we win 16 but lose many more like Auburn or Mizzou, it'll be time to move on. 

How many games will he have to win to get the complainers to shut up?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawgar The Horrible

Thus far 28% say break the bank. 99% of those don't pay the bills.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 10:00:20 pm
Good grief.  Did you really read that in ANYTHING I've said?

I like Coach B.  He's a good man.  He's a good coach.  He proved it before coming here.  He may or may not be up to the task in front of him.  The next two seasons will prove it, one way or the other.  And that is what I've said.  I believe it takes time to build depth and develop talent at Arkansas.  Unless I've missed it, we don't get multiple 5 stars every season.

At no point have I defended Coach B's record since he got here, although I find it disingenous to include his first year.  At no point have I defended the collapse against Auburn, Mizzou, or Virginia Tech.  I understand and have tried to explain why they happened, but I don't defend.

If we don't win at least 16 over the next two seasons, it'll be time for him to move on.  If we win 16 but lose many more like Auburn or Mizzou, it'll be time to move on. 

How many games will he have to win to get the complainers to shut up?
Most of them never will shut up. They just don't like CBB for whatever reason. Some don't like his style of play, some are stuck on Petrino like he was their high school girlfriend, some are just internet jackasses trying to have a little fun at Arkansas fans' expense

EastexHawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 17, 2017, 10:25:03 pm
They just don't like CBB for whatever reason.

For whatever reason?  You've watched the last four seasons and you can't think of a single reason why some people might be less than satisfied?

I'm tired of this discussion and ready to drop it, but why would you post something like that?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 10:31:29 pm
For whatever reason?  You've watched the last four seasons and you can't think of a single reason why some people might be less than satisfied?

I'm tired of this discussion and ready to drop it, but why would you post something like that?
The question, which you keep avoiding, is why you didn't like him before he coached a single game here.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Iwastherein1969

I say break the bank on paying 5 star and a few 4 star players to come to the HILL. Oh, we got the money, and as OSU, USC, OLE MISS, AUBURN has proven, everything is forgotten a year or so after buying players. Win the NC and 3 years from now future prospects won't be asking about the probation we just served but will be wanting to see that NC ring.  After our previous full time coach was fired and our AD shed tears for all the country to see when announcing our former coach's firing, the praise lasted how long ? Maybe a month or two. After that no one cared and our crying AD allowed his skirt to fly up in front of Stanford but wasn't offered the job. Too bad.

In summation, BUY A NATTY !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Gonzo

Well, even before the poll was channeled to a particular answer, it was invalid with no Frito Pie option.  Clear fail

Go Hogs!

BigE_23

Stupid poll with 3/4 of the options being total BS...and then the argument that the OP tries to advocate, which is also total BS.

So I vote for option 5 - don't settle for or tolerate mediocrity in any way shape or form and demand accountability from our administration and coaches.

If we go 6-6 or worse next season, then the hammer falls. It's simply not acceptable and we shouldn't be forced to believe that it is. So, it was Jeff Long's dumbass that got us into this mess and he should be the first one held accountable. Giving someone a contract extension and a $15+ million buyout after a 7-6 season screams incompetence - or that he had a conflict of interest due to his friendship with Bielema...which by the way is in essence the same thing he fired Petrino for.

And then, in order to build our program, how about we demand that the coach at the helm of our program doesn't suffer a 53 point loss on national television in year 4? How about we demand that we don't field historically bad defenses that can't tackle OR EVEN LINE UP BEFORE THE BALL IS SNAPPED...and when we do have a side of the ball that isn't performing, how about we hold that coordinator accountable by firing his ass instead of "waiting for him to get another job"? And maybe while we're at it, we add a clause somewhere about 2nd half collapses, losing to inferior non-conference opponents, and we forbid 100-yd stares.

Yeah...that gets my vote. But this wasn't a poll, was it? It was another failed attempt to try and advocate for mediocrity. Sounds like 2004-2007 all over again.

Iwastherein1969

But seriously, Bielema said upon being introduced as the UA's new football coach the following, "I came here to give you something you've never had before". The implication was an SEC Championship in football. Man, I don't recall being 1-0 and in contention in any of the years Bielema has been here. I know this for a fact, we have not beaten Aggy since he's been here and we used to beat them 7 of 10 times. Obviously that winning % against Aggy has hit a huge snag. Let's just beat Aggy one time Bret. At least if we beat Aggy once we can have hope of an SEC Championship if for only one week. Not a single week has Razorback nation had even the hope of an SEC title since CBB has been here....not good people, not good.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

BigE_23

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 18, 2017, 12:44:58 am
But seriously, Bielema said upon being introduced as the UA's new football coach the following, "I came here to give you something you've never had before". The implication was an SEC Championship in football. Man, I don't recall being 1-0 and in contention in any of the years Bielema has been here. I know this for a fact, we have not beaten Aggy since he's been here and we used to beat them 7 of 10 times. Obviously that winning % against Aggy has hit a huge snag. Let's just beat Aggy one time Bret. At least if we beat Aggy once we can have hope of an SEC Championship if for only one week. Not a single week has Razorback nation had even the hope of an SEC title since CBB has been here....not good people, not good.

Come on man...he just needs "more time" ;)

hogcard1964

If he doesn't win and win big this year, he has to go. Sorry, times up.

...and where has this 8- 10 year bullsh=× come from?  It's now gone from a 2 or 3 year rebuild to 10?  Get that carp out of here!

Cinco de Hogo

LZH

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 18, 2017, 05:55:07 am
If he doesn't win and win big this year, he has to go. Sorry, times up.

...and where has this 8- 10 year bullsh=× come from?  It's now gone from a 2 or 3 year rebuild to 10?  Get that carp out of here!

"What....?"

RagingHawgOn

I'd love to know the ages of those in the respective camps. I'm too damn lazy to create a poll but I'd be curious to see a breakdown. If for no other reason, it might stop the pissing into the fan exercise.

Fire Nutt!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 09:46:48 pm
I will add, my outrage is not at making a move from Bielema.  I'm not married to the guy.  My outrage is at the ida many of you seem to have that there is some magic pill in coach form that will just miraculously fix the inherent difficulties of Arkansas Football.  Short of getting lucky and identifying the next Nick/Urban, I believe we have to build with consistency and time. 

You guys seem like you just hope we win the lottery.

Then you should have said 5 or 6 years.  8 or 10 leaves no reasonable option In your poll.  And it depends on the trend and performance on the field.  Would you have given Jack Crowe or Smiley 8-10 years?

After four years, I'd give Bielema a solid A on the way he runs his program, but it's hard to give him much more than a C based upon his team's performances on the field.  He has deserved some criticism at times.  This is a message board for discussion among fans.  Criticism doesn't necessarily translate to "fire the coach". 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 18, 2017, 08:36:17 am
Then you should have said 5 or 6 years.  8 or 10 leaves no reasonable option In your poll.  And it depends on the trend and performance on the field.  Would you have given Jack Crowe or Smiley 8-10 years?

After four years, I'd give Bielema a solid A on the way he runs his program, but it's hard to give him much more than a C based upon his team's performances on the field.  He has deserved some criticism at times.  This is a message board for discussion among fans.  Criticism doesn't necessarily translate to "fire the coach". 

Interesting you mentioned Crowe. Everyone would agree that he was one of the worst hires the UofA ever made, but oddly his record/performance over his tenure mirrors that of BB over the same timeframe. Three-win first season, .500 second season, and a wth loss in the third season (that cost one of these guys their job).

Hogs-n-Roses

Option 3 should have read " Long term plan that may or may not come to fruition."

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 04:09:48 pm

well the next guy we get with all those traits will be the 1st since JFB.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigE_23

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 18, 2017, 08:36:17 am

Thank you for being one of the fews guys on this board who understands that.

Hogtimes

You obviously want Bielema to be given 8-10 years to build his program,  since the other options are off the wall ridiculous.

Actually all of the options are not good

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on May 18, 2017, 09:03:43 am
well the next guy we get with all those traits will be the 1st since JFB.

If you can't get everything you prioritize, meaning there are some traits that must be present, and get the best you can get in all other areas.

The notion that there are big time programs that can get whatever and whoever they need, and then there is Arkansas that must take what is left over, is a fairly new one.  I think it arose during the Houston Nutt saga, with his defenders repeating over and over that top coaches don't want to come here and he was as good as we could get.  Prior to that I never heard anyone claim that Arkansas is a second rate program and that we need to just get used to being settlers.

The crazy thing is that it was proven wrong when Nutt was finally let go, and yet here we are less than a decade later and it's as if none of that ever happened.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 18, 2017, 09:22:05 am
If you can't get everything you prioritize, meaning there are some traits that must be present, and get the best you can get in all other areas.

The notion that there are big time programs that can get whatever and whoever they need, and then there is Arkansas that must take what is left over, is a fairly new one.  I think it arose during the Houston Nutt saga, with his defenders repeating over and over that top coaches don't want to come here and he was as good as we could get.  Prior to that I never heard anyone claim that Arkansas is a second rate program and that we need to just get used to being settlers.

The crazy thing is that it was proven wrong when Nutt was finally let go, and yet here we are less than a decade later and it's as if none of that ever happened.

we did not get a guy, with all the traits you listed, after Nutt left.

I've heard for a long time that AR is not a place that top coach yern to go to AFTER they are top coaches. Holtz, when he was hired, was fresh off being canned after less than a season in the NFL, and had never been HC at a major football power school. Hatfield? He was a home state hero who had been successful at Airforce, not a hotbed of football. Crowe, well lets move one. Ford - was dragged out of retirement, but had a NC ring. HDN - had some modest success at FCS Murray St, and one FBS season at fledgling Boise St. Petrino snuck out of a disaster in ATL, after sneaking out on Louisville a year before. BB was- BY FAR- the most successful, established coach to be hired as HC here since JFB, and his credentials prior to being hired were aguably better, at that point in his career, than was even JFB when he was hired here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE